2023 Recruiting: - Cam Spencer | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Cam Spencer

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Why did they offer him if they really didn’t want him?
The same reason any coach recruits someone who they end up recruiting over. If they can make their team better in the moment most coaches usually do, regardless of what they’ve promised to or what is expected by other commits.

Reaction Score
The same reason any coach recruits someone who they end up recruiting over. If they can make their team better in the moment most coaches usually do, regardless of what they’ve promised to or what is expected by other commits.
It sounds like we can agree to disagree on how this would look to other recruits.

Reaction Score

Uh oh trouble in paradise, er Lawrence?

Lets pray they don’t get involved late with Spencer.

247’s scouting report on Johnson is that his outside shot needs a lot of work. We recruited him but hard pass. We need a shooter

Reaction Score
Why did they offer him if they really didn’t want him?
The rumor on the Kansas board is that this was a mutual decision. He moved to Monteverde this past season and had a really rough season. Didn't develop at all like they hoped and was not gonna see the court for Kansas

Reaction Score
The rumor on the Kansas board is that this was a mutual decision. He moved to Monteverde this past season and had a really rough season. Didn't develop at all like they hoped and was not gonna see the court for Kansas
Mutual decision is reasonable. I’m glad for the young man that that’s the case.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
this kinda interest makes this seem like cope tbh.

Reaction Score
this kinda interest makes this seem like cope tbh.

It might be, anyone with a pulse who becomes available this time of year is gonna have that kind of interest though. I'm sure he'll end up at a good school but I'm just skeptical of anyone who can't shoot like him

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Relax dude just having fun on a Saturday during the offseason
george costanza burn GIF

Reaction Score
Cam Spencer went to Loyola in Baltimore. He's a Baltimore kid, his brother was a hooper and the best lacrosse player in the country.
My bad.. Once again you are right.. What can I say??.. I did not do a deep dive on the resume.. I know you always have my back.. LOL

Edit: My son and grandson are pretty good lax guys in Denver.. But.. I'm not following that sport like CBB..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was he supposed to know that Kansas was going to basically give him a blank check at the 11th hour? Matrim has had a ton of good and accurate info in the past.
Okay

Reaction Score
Here's the thing, even the coaches recruiting a player don't know with 100% certainty if they're getting the recruit or not until they get the final decision from the recruit. Most of the time the coaches have a pretty good idea where they stand with a recruit but there are times they think they have a kid and then get the bad news. It happens.

Put it this way, have you ever interviewed for a job and thought things were going great and you thought you would get an offer but then you didn't get the job? You were in the top 2 but in the end the employer chose their other top option.

It’s okay take a deep breath

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not that it means anything but very recently I was told that a few actual insiders (people who get paid by the University) were convinced Timberlake was coming here until they were told he was going to Kansas instead.

If someone got that scoop wrong, it was because he couldn't foresee something that people who's jobs are on the line when it comes to recruiting also couldn't foresee.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Colorado grad and I was there for the early McCartney years. McCartney and Calhoun share a bunch of similiarites in creating an "us versus them" mindset and seeking out players with enormous chips on their shoulders but Boulder and Storrs aren't really comparable in quality of life.

Well, few places can match the splendor that is Storrs, Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Always thought we over estimate school location as a driving factor in recruitment:
Tuscaloosa, Durham, Lexington, Lawrence, East Lansing, Tucson, Spokane ? These places are nice but they don't fit the narrative that location is a huge factor.
Hate to state the obvious but the number of men's and women's titles coming out of Storrs should put to rest the idea that our location is a big deterrent.

Reaction Score
Always thought we over estimate school location as a driving factor in recruitment:
Tuscaloosa, Durham, Lexington, Lawrence, East Lansing, Tucson, Spokane ? These places are nice but they don't fit the narrative that location is a huge factor.
Hate to state the obvious but the number of men's and women's titles coming out of Storrs should put to rest the idea that our location is a big deterrent.

While there’s no doubt this statement is accurate there’s also no doubt that having Jim Calhoun and Geno Auriemma are major reasons we have achieved such numbers. And even with these titles I have no doubt there have been many instances recruits didn’t really like the location. But you pointing out other successful areas is spot on as well, they aren’t any prettier than Storrs.

Reaction Score
Agreed - it's always about the coaching, the program, and how it developes players for the next level.

Reaction Score
Maybe I’m a pessimist, but don’t feel great about this one based on the NIL situation of the other schools involved. Hopefully it doesn’t come down to just that. Interesting that we haven’t heard about any potential backup plans either, even from a depth perspective. But I guess Joey C came out of absolutely nowhere last year so you never know.

Reaction Score
The feeling here is we “have” to have this guy but is it possible that we already have or will develop that shooting on our own roster this year? One of our 4 stars just might fill the bill? And Newton can be that answer as we have seen.

Reaction Score
It might be, anyone with a pulse who becomes available this time of year is gonna have that kind of interest though. I'm sure he'll end up at a good school but I'm just skeptical of anyone who can't shoot like him
I heard there were a fair amount of off-court concerns about him over the last year too. I don't know anything about him personally, so take that with a healthy dose of salt.

I think we definitely need another shooter on the roster and this would be a huge get. That being said, I think as long as we get someone in the Joey California mold, we will be okay.

Reaction Score
I heard there were a fair amount of off-court concerns about him over the last year too. I don't know anything about him personally, so take that with a healthy dose of salt.

I think we definitely need another shooter on the roster and this would be a huge get. That being said, I think as long as we get someone in the Joey California mold, we will be okay.
Agreed. While I like the freshmen coming in a lot, look at the shooting that has departed. Hawkins, Joey, and Alleyne. That’s a lot of veteran shooting. I think we clearly need at least one veteran in the portal.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The feeling here is we “have” to have this guy but is it possible that we already have or will develop that shooting on our own roster this year? One of our 4 stars just might fill the bill? And Newton can be that answer as we have seen.
Both Ross and Stewart have reputation as shooters and can fill the roll well. They both have good size too, athleticism in Ross’s case.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom