2023 Recruiting: - Cam Spencer | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Cam Spencer

Reaction Score
PORPAGATU! - 3.9 (14th in B1G)
RAPM - +4.5 (30th in B1G)
BPR - (-1.18) (114th in B1G)
BPM - 10.4 (4th in B1G)

rutgers.png

That BPR number made me do a double-take, so I had to dig a little deeper. His on/off splits are surprisingly terrible for how elite his efficiency was at an above average usage%. Against top 200 teams, Rutgers' offense was 7 points worse with him on court than off, a startling number.

So what was going on? Digging into the numbers, there wasn't anything too drastic. Their effective FG% was the same with him on and off, which means the difference lies in the other factors. Their offensive rebounding was a lot better with him off the court. Most of the difference comes from Big Cliff getting 16% oreb with him off, and 10% with him on. The team got to the line a little less and shot a little worse/less frequent at the rim when he was in, but he personally shot 70% at the rim (on low volume), an absurdly high number. Spencer personally took a bunch of 2pt Js at poor efficiency, but the team actually took less 2pt Js and more 3s when he was in, so that's a good thing. It seems partially that his oft replacement Derek Simpson put a lot more pressure on the rim with drives, which presumably led to more help D and freed up Cliff for putbacks. And looking even deeper, Paul Mulcahy drove to the rim a lot more often with Spencer out, for whatever reason. You'd think that Spencer spacing would open up more lanes for Mulcahy, but Mulcahy probably had more on ball opportunities without Spencer. A lot of it is just statistical noise (McConnell and Simpson shooting a lot worse from 3 with Spencer in), so I'm not too worried about it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Article on him says Rutgers program and players shocked by him leaving. NIL seems to be the driver. Loves Rutgers but wants $$$.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Got this from a Michigan board and thought I’d share. There was more to this post but this was the only part that was UConn relevant (the rest mostly complained about how bad Michigan NIL is)

“I know some of you were asking about Cam and his decision to enter the portal. Yes my kids are very good friends with Cam and his brother Pat. We have known the kids for years and their parents. They are great people. My sons were out with Cam last night , had a great time but also did want to not pester him with a ton of questions. As we all know in todays college sports this stuff has turned into a business decision in many cases. He has not made a decision on where he will go but Michigan and the Big 10 in general isn’t one of the choices , and he has a ton. The schools that seem to have caught his eye in no particular order , are Miami ( Fla ) , UCLA , Texas , U Conn and Oklahoma. There are a few others that he has talked with , and he will take 3 visits to schools and decide. I do know one thing he will look for is the style of play a team has . He also wants to win , and while he didn’t blurt it out the roster composition of our team doesn’t help. One thing I have learned is the conference as a whole isn’t very good on NIL , and it’s way behind vs other schools and conferences. We aren’t the worst in the conference , but clearly lag behind a ton of schools. Until we really step it up guys on our roster will be targets.”

Btw, it’s very surprising to me to see how other programs look at our basketball school. They pretty much think we pay for players and are cheaters which is funny seeing how improbable our NC runs usually are and how good we develop no blue chip players. Lol

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Just asked the same guy for an update because that post was from May 20th.

He had 5 schools he was interested in. UCLA , Oklahoma , Texas , U Conn and Miami. They are calling all the time. I think his favorite is Miami but a ton of schools are calling him.

Reaction Score
Article on him says Rutgers program and players shocked by him leaving. NIL seems to be the driver. Loves Rutgers but wants $$$.

With the way it is set up now why wouldn’t they use the NIL to their financial advantage. Especially a player like this who is a very good college basketball player with very little hope of an NBA career. Make some dollars on your way out. And because of situations like this and so many others the NCAA needs to look at mess they have made and somehow put a cap on it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
With the way it is set up now why wouldn’t they use the NIL to their financial advantage. Especially a player like this who is a very good college basketball player with very little hope of an NBA career. Make some dollars on your way out. And because of situations like this and so many others the NCAA needs to look at mess they have made and somehow put a cap on it.
There were alternatives that would have satisfied everyone but the NCAA under Emmert's "leadership" deliberately chose not to establish a policy. At this point, I'm not sure there's a way to get the genie back in the bottle.

Reaction Score
There were alternatives that would have satisfied everyone but the NCAA under Emmert's "leadership" deliberately chose not to establish a policy. At this point, I'm not sure there's a way to get the genie back in the bottle.
Since this started as a legal matter the NCAA is going to let the government do it for them.

Ban "pay-for-play" by prohibiting boosters, collectives and other third parties from "offering inducements to attend or transfer" to specific institutions.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Since this started as a legal matter the NCAA is going to let the government do it for them.

Ban "pay-for-play" by prohibiting boosters, collectives and other third parties from "offering inducements to attend or transfer" to specific institutions.

That is so unnecessary and cumbersome. The NCAA is a private organization and has the ability to regulate its membership requirements. One of those is that the student participants were amateurs. The NCAA had the ability to define that anyway it chose. Instead, it did nothing and said we are going to let State decide what the rules are. How does that make sense for a private organization? This was a Emmert being Emmert. There hasn't been a single organization that he left better off than he found it.

The man has the Sadim touch. Everything he touches turns to crap.

Reaction Score
"Cooley will definitely succeed at Georgetown because he has a lot more resources."

Hard to recruit talent who want to win now when the team is going to be bad.

Reaction Score

I was afraid of Indiana.
So at the 2/3...
Kansas has Timberlake, Arterio Morris, Elmarko and Marcus Adams.
Duke has Roach, Jared McCain, Mark Mitchell, and Sean Stewart.
UNC has Harrison Ingram, Cormac Ryan, Paxson Wojcik, and Simeon Wilcher.
Kentucky has Antonio Reeves (probably), Justin Edwards, Reed Sheppard, Rob Dillingham, Adou Thiero, Chris Livingston (maybe).
Indiana has Mackenzie Mgbako, Trey Galloway, and Jakai Newton? Is that it? CJ Gunn?

I'm assuming not UCLA, the East Coast/Central blue bloods.

Assuming no Jackson, we have Castle, Ball, Ross.

We look pretty attractive. Indiana has a bunch of minutes available and he has B1G familiarity. Could see UNC recruiting over Ryan.
They have the PT available, the talent surrounding at the other starting positions (Xavier Johnson, Mgbako, Reneau, Ware), mutual familiarity through playing in B1G and staying in conference, and the Mgbako recruitment demonstrated clearly elite NIL.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think our biggest competition here is going to be Miami
It would make sense from an NIL standpoint if that’s a big factor for him. They were in the Final Four too as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom