2023 Recruiting: - Cam Spencer | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Cam Spencer

Reaction Score
That may be true but personally I’d rather not have to rely on two freshmen
Plus one of them will likely be considered depth at small forward. Two incoming freshmen isn’t enough to replace the shooting Hawk, Joey, and Alleyne produced.

Reaction Score
Hearing uconn made a big impression and visit went well. Feeling i get (and yes feeling can be wrong) is that we have a real shot. Sadly $ is a factor also.... obviously time will tell and please slam me if you wish. I do get the idea money is not as big of a factor as Timberlake was.

Reaction Score
I heard there were a fair amount of off-court concerns about him over the last year too. I don't know anything about him personally, so take that with a healthy dose of salt.

I think we definitely need another shooter on the roster and this would be a huge get. That being said, I think as long as we get someone in the Joey California mold, we will be okay.
What were these alleged off-court concerns?

Reaction Score
Hearing uconn made a big impression and visit went well. Feeling i get (and yes feeling can be wrong) is that we have a real shot. Sadly $ is a factor also.... obviously time will tell and please slam me if you wish. I do get the idea money is not as big of a factor as Timberlake was.
No commitment on the visit is slightly concerning, no?

Reaction Score
Guy is making a business decision at this point in his career, gotta go home and crunch the numbers.
correct, while we will be speculating until the cows come home and until he makes his announcement. Here is hoping he chooses UConn.

Reaction Score
What were these alleged off-court concerns?
For Chris Johnson? I don't think it was anything major. I saw a few Jayhawk fans saying the relationship was getting colder because of concerns about his grades predominantly. And then he wanted a release once they recruited over him in the portal.

Reaction Score
Guy is making a business decision at this point in his career, gotta go home and crunch the numbers.

Pretty much this. Recruiting transfers, and especially grad transfers, is a completely different game. With the high school guys they bring in, the relationships have been built over months, sometimes years. The kids have heard almost everything they’re going to hear. A lot of times the visits are confirming what everyone knows, sometimes they function to change a kid’s (and his family’s) mind.

There are so many recruiting comments, from fans of all teams, like don‘t let the guy get off campus without a verbal, have to lock this up by the end of the visit, which… sure, that would be great. But, there are actual people involved who have all sorts of annoying things like free will and leverage and priorities that you might wish were different.

Reaction Score
Didn't know his brother was Pat Spencer, he was very entertaining for the Warriors in the preseason

Super cool, I had no idea either. I am suuuuper ignorant about lacrosse but his story was incredible.

Reaction Score

The sell has to be that he will get better ROI long term and that may actually check out. He seems to be more of a pro prospect than Timberlake and I genuinely think we are a perfect fit for him stylistically. They didn’t overlap but the current (I think?) HS coach there is a semi well known media guy and he has talked about how perfect the fit is, fwiw.

Reaction Score
The rumor on the Kansas board is that this was a mutual decision. He moved to Monteverde this past season and had a really rough season. Didn't develop at all like they hoped and was not gonna see the court for Kansas

Sure, maybe, but “mutual decisions” in June for a ‘23 kid seems suspect. Fans, collectively, are the worst sources of info, even if they’re claiming to be impartial and factual. Guy de-commits? It‘s what the coaches actually wanted and also his grades were bad and also I heard he kicks puppies. Coaches absolutely do this, too, only it‘s usually a step or so removed.

Only people who have true, unfiltered access to the people themselves have the closest version of the truth… and that’s almost never making It to a message board.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
OK but didn’t we rely on Karaban and Clingan to get us to 5?
Ross and Stewart aren’t going to fill the shooting departure of Calcaterra let alone Hawkins. If Karaban, Newton, Ross, and Stewart are our only source of shooting, this team is going to be bad at shooting.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Ross and Stewart aren’t going to fill the shooting departure of Calcaterra let alone Hawkins. If Karaban, Newton, Ross, and Stewart are our only source of shooting, this team is going to be bad at shooting.
I don’t think anyone is. It’s very high expectations to replace one of the best shooters in college basketball and a guy who was shooting 50% from three during OOC for anyone.

I’m just not sure why we would be so certain that the freshman aren’t going to be ready to step up and be serviceable.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone is. It’s very high expectations to replace one of the best shooters in college basketball and a guy who was shooting 50% from three during OOC for anyone.

I’m just not sure why we would be so certain that the freshman aren’t going to be ready to step up and be serviceable.
Serviceable isn’t going to be good enough. That’s my point. Idk how anyone can look at the current roster and think they won’t have an issue shooting.

Reaction Score
Pretty much this. Recruiting transfers, and especially grad transfers, is a completely different game. With the high school guys they bring in, the relationships have been built over months, sometimes years. The kids have heard almost everything they’re going to hear. A lot of times the visits are confirming what everyone knows, sometimes they function to change a kid’s (and his family’s) mind.

There are so many recruiting comments, from fans of all teams, like don‘t let the guy get off campus without a verbal, have to lock this up by the end of the visit, which… sure, that would be great. But, there are actual people involved who have all sorts of annoying things like free will and leverage and priorities that you might wish were different.
Yep. Had a post like this after Timberlake. Transfers are like "speed dating" compared to recruiting high school players where you more slowly build a relationship foundation. Throw in NIL to the transfer market and it just becomes so unpredictable. I still get my hopes up for high school guys. I just sit back and wait for the end result with transfers.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Serviceable isn’t going to be good enough. That’s my point. Idk how anyone can look at the current roster and think they won’t have an issue shooting.
I mean we’re going from

Newton, Hawkins, Andre, Karaban, and Sanogo

To

Castle, Newton, Ross/Stewart, Karaban, and Clingan if no transfer.

Yeah, there’s a drop off from Hawkins to whoever replaces him (which would be the case for ANYBODY), but there’s also going to be a significant upgrade from Andre’s shooting that I don’t think is being talked about right now. If Clingan has a good summer we could legitimately have 5 knockdown shooters as is.

Reaction Score
I mean we’re going from

Newton, Hawkins, Andre, Karaban, and Sanogo

To

Castle, Newton, Ross/Stewart, Karaban, and Clingan if no transfer.

Yeah, there’s a drop off from Hawkins to whoever replaces him (which would be the case for ANYBODY), but there’s also going to be a significant upgrade from Andre’s shooting that I don’t think is being talked about right now. If Clingan has a good summer we could legitimately have 5 knockdown shooters as is.
Now do the bench, that's where the huge dropoff is in your scenario. You cherry picked the best shooters as your starting lineup

Reaction Score
Now do the bench, that's where the huge dropoff is in your scenario. You cherry picked the best shooters as your starting lineup
Joey and Alleyne were HUGE parts of the championship run, as well as the season as a whole. Plus we had the luxury of the Sanogo/Clingan combo. If Clingan has games where he gets in foul trouble, that luxury is no longer there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom