So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Got a chance to try "Mean Old Tom" when I was home last september. Found it at Harvest Fine Wine Liquor and Beer Cave in West Hartford. That place is amazing, has everything you can imagine. Was a welcome beer induced sensory overload. I tried to do a CT sampler with NEBCO, two roads and city steam, and added some Maine Brewing Co selections. Enjoyed the 'Roadsmary's Baby" and "Sea Hag" specifically. I'm coming back up to visit next month. If anyone has any other must have recommendations please let me know, I know the Beer Cave will have it. I only get back to CT once a year so want to take advantage. On a side note there have been three local crafts open up in the 1.5yrs here in Memphis (to join a few others that have been around). Fantastic nationwide trend if you ask me. Thanks for this thread Alum04.
I really like the Maine beers also. Old Mean Tom is great as is King Titus, their Porter. Peeper ale isn't bad either! We're starting to see some of them locally (Westport) as well. Harry's in Fairfield and Stews Liquors in Norwalk have a decent selection.

Reaction Score
Brewery list for this Saturday's Rising Pint in case anyone is interested.

Abita, Alchemy & Science (Traveler & The Just Beer Project) , Anchor Brewing, Arch Ale, BAR, Back East, Beaver, Blue Point, Boston Beer (Sam Adams, Angry Orchard, Twisted), Broad Brook, Brooklyn, Bronx, Cambridge House, Captain Lawrence, Cayman Jack, Charter Oak, Chimay, Cisco, City Steam, Cork & Brew, Cr...abbies Ginger Beer, Craft Brewers Alliance (Kona, Redhook, Widmer Brothers, Omission), Coronado, Dogfish Head, Downeast Cider, Firefly Hollow, Flying Dog, Foolproof, Founders, Goose Island, Half Full, Harpoon, Heavy Seas, Heineken USA (Heineken, Strongbow, Bohemia, Raddler), Hoegaarden, Ipswich, Julian Hard Cider, Laguintas, Long Trail, The Shed, Otter Creek, Wolavers, Magic Hat, Mayflower, McKenzie's Hard Cider, Merchant Du Vin, Mike's Hard Lemonade, Narraganssett, New England Brewing, North Coast, Olde Burnside, Ommegang, Oskar Blues, Relic, Sebago, Shebeen, Shiner, Shipyard, Shock Top, Sierra Nevada, Sixpoint, Smuttynose, Southern Tier, Southport, Steadfast, Stone, Stony Creek, Tenth & Blake (Blue Moon, Crispin Cider, Fox Barrel, Jacob Leinenkugel), Thimble Island, Thomas Hooker, Trapp, Two Roads, Unibroue, Urthel, Victory, Wachusett, The Weed Co., Weyerbacher, Willimantic

Reaction Score
The Thomas Hooker Open Houses are always fun.

First and Thirds Friday of the month. $10 all you can drink plus a souvenir glass.

Reaction Score
I really like the Maine beers also. Old Mean Tom is great as is King Titus, their Porter. Peeper ale isn't bad either! We're starting to see some of them locally (Westport) as well. Harry's in Fairfield and Stews Liquors in Norwalk have a decent selection.

If you get an opportunity I HIGHLY suggest asking for their IPA "Lunch" next time your at any beer store that carries brew from the Maine Beer company. Its their staple and very hard to come by (unless of course you're at the actual brewery). Down by me we see it every 3-4 months, maybe.

Reaction Score
A heads up for everyone, looks like tickets will be $5 more day of so if you are going I would buy online today.

And weather is looking pretty solid, scattered showers but near 80.

I'm pumped!

Reaction Score
Very curious about the new breweries going up in Oxford. Calvary sold and becoming Black Hog Brewing I think and then OEC Brewing as well.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here's a couple of options for the summer when it's hot and some cool and crisp is needed without being too heavy.

First, for all you Yankees up there enjoying your clam bakes, here's something to try.

http://www.usatoday.com/experience/...ything-dead-rise-old-bay-summer-ale/11397301/

Recently, a PR firm promoting Baltimore's craft beer scene sent us a sample of beer seasoned with Old Bay, brewed by Flying Dog. Our office tasters were skeptical of this concoction of barley, hops, celery salt, white and black pepper, and garlic salt, but then they tasted it.
"Backyard crab feast in a bottle," said one taster. "This beer screams summer picnic," said another. "Further proves the point that a sprinkle of Old Bay enhances just about anything." A third taster, who deemed the beer "AMAZING," said, "This is what I will be drinking all summer.

Secondly, a cider for those who enjoy them.

http://www.pnj.com/story/entertainm...n-try-cider-worthy-johnny-appleseed/11353533/

Ace Cider out of Sebastopol, Calif., has a beauty for us. Joker is palest gold, with pretty jet-streams of bubbles racing to the top. Vinous notes of traditional French Chardonnay here, along with fresh green apple and a touch of pear in the nose and on the palate. I’m guessing its crisp, effervescent texture is owed to Champagne yeast. It all comes together for a mouth-wateringly satisfying beverage.

Reaction Score
Curious Traveler. Its a lemon shandy type thing. I love it for summer. Just tried it the other day.

Porch Rocker by Sam Adams. Another lemon one but less sweet. Delicious.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy -Leinenkugel Brewing Company. This is between the two above in terms of flavor.

Reaction Score
As hoop hound mentioned, love Porch Rocker. Also, the Magic Hat summer mix pack is very good.

Reaction Score
Here's a couple of options for the summer when it's hot and some cool and crisp is needed without being too heavy.

First, for all you Yankees up there enjoying your clam bakes, here's something to try.

http://www.usatoday.com/experience/...ything-dead-rise-old-bay-summer-ale/11397301/

Recently, a PR firm promoting Baltimore's craft beer scene sent us a sample of beer seasoned with Old Bay, brewed by Flying Dog. Our office tasters were skeptical of this concoction of barley, hops, celery salt, white and black pepper, and garlic salt, but then they tasted it.
"Backyard crab feast in a bottle," said one taster. "This beer screams summer picnic," said another. "Further proves the point that a sprinkle of Old Bay enhances just about anything." A third taster, who deemed the beer "AMAZING," said, "This is what I will be drinking all summer.

Secondly, a cider for those who enjoy them.

http://www.pnj.com/story/entertainm...n-try-cider-worthy-johnny-appleseed/11353533/

Ace Cider out of Sebastopol, Calif., has a beauty for us. Joker is palest gold, with pretty jet-streams of bubbles racing to the top. Vinous notes of traditional French Chardonnay here, along with fresh green apple and a touch of pear in the nose and on the palate. I’m guessing its crisp, effervescent texture is owed to Champagne yeast. It all comes together for a mouth-wateringly satisfying beverage.
I'm partial to free beer, but I have some respect left so I won't take swill.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'm drinking a summer shandy right now. It's okay - not my favorite leinenkugel offering. I'm enjoyed pretty much all of their other offerings.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this qualifies as a summer beer, but been drinking a lot of "Surly Cynic" lately. Kind of fits my overall disposition, and doesnn't taste like total dogcrap.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this qualifies as a summer beer, but been drinking a lot of "Surly Cynic" lately. Kind of fits my overall disposition, and doesnn't taste like total dogcrap.
might need to taste that one!

Reaction Score
Curious Traveler. Its a lemon shandy type thing. I love it for summer. Just tried it the other day.

Porch Rocker by Sam Adams. Another lemon one but less sweet. Delicious.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy -Leinenkugel Brewing Company. This is between the two above in terms of flavor.

Amstel Radler is more lemony than Sam Adams Porch Rocker (which they describe on the neck label as Sam's version of a radler). The Amstel should really hit the spot on a hot day this summer. However, I have been hoping to find something between Porch Rocker and the Amstel. Because of your description of the Leinenkugel I'll try that one. I wish a couple of breweries from Bavaria would export their Radlers - they are always great in the beer tents at the summer fests.

Last week I tried Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen-Mix Grapefruit, sort of a Radler with wheat beer, but with a decidedly grapefruit flavor.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Summer Shandy is by far the best of the bunch iMO but it's much better on tap. I stumbled across the Curious Traveller beers last summer and really like them. Their pumpkin one in the fall is really good. Porch rocker isnt bad either. I'm a big fan of the Long Trail summer pack. Blackberry Wheat and Polenator are both very good

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I tried a Victory brewing sampler 12 pack of summer varieties, really good stuff.

Reaction Score
Charter Oak Pale Ale or India Pale Ale. Brewed in CT or CT/MA. More of a wine drinker now but I like to try micro brew stuff.

Reaction Score
Amstel Radler is more lemony than Sam Adams Porch Rocker (which they describe on the neck label as Sam's version of a radler). The Amstel should really hit the spot on a hot day this summer. However, I have been hoping to find something between Porch Rocker and the Amstel. Because of your description of the Leinenkugel I'll try that one. I wish a couple of breweries from Bavaria would export their Radlers - they are always great in the beer tents at the summer fests.

Last week I tried Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen-Mix Grapefruit, sort of a Radler with wheat beer, but with a decidedly grapefruit flavor.

That German grapefruit beer is the worst beer I have ever bought.
Not that it tasted that bad but it was only has 2.5% alcohol but it comes in a 11.2 oz bottle. WTF? If I really want grapefruit I’ll just get grapefruit juice. There another grapefruit beer by UFO that is equally as good. F the Germans (except for Giffey of course). As for the shandy I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Narragansett Del’s Shandy. Very hard to find but I recommend it. Only come sin 16oz cans but it’s better than Porch Rocker and Leinenkugels.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Kolsch style beers are called lawnmower beer because it goes down easy after cutting the grass? Who knew?

Might be worth a try.

http://www.pnj.com/story/entertainm...ower-is-the-best-of-both-beer-worlds/6581705/

Kölsch is a crisp, light, flavorful style that bridges across both families of beer. How, you might ask? It’s made from traditional lager/pilsner ingredients but fermented with a strain of ale yeast that actually works in the colder temperatures necessary for making lager.
So why is it perfect for warm weather? Because it doesn’t weigh heavily upon the palate or the stomach. Its crisp, sweet malt allows sharp, grassy hops to refresh taste buds. Because of the lagering process, it’s naturally free of particulate that could add to the texture.
Crisp body, refreshing flavor, easy to drink, doesn’t fill you up. Sounds exactly like what I’d want if working on pulling weeds in the yard. This is why beer of this style garnered a nickname “lawnmower beer” over the years. Ergo, a beer you could drink a lot of while toiling outside all day in the sun.
Saint Arnold Brewing out of Houston, Texas, has a real nice kölsch called, what else, Fancy Lawnmower. Absolutely clear pale gold, it offers a delicate head that leaves intermittent lacing. Its scents are predominantly sweet malt with some leafy, floral hops and just a touch of a scuppernong grape presence. Flavor-wise, Fancy Lawnmower exhibits hay, honey, cereal and citrus before being balanced out with grassy Hallertauer hops and a faint hint of clove. Very crisp, carbonated and dry-finishing, it leaves nothing behind but a flavorful ending that makes the mouth want another sip.

Reaction Score
I'm not telling you, because liquor stores in Fairfield County can't eke it in stock.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom