Beer | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Beer

So, what am I drinking?

• Cloud Sourced

• Honeyspot

• Two Juicey

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Don't forget City Steam. You can find Nurse & Blonde on Blonde all over CT now. Great restaurant space downtown. We had a Boneyard away game rally there, a few years back.

Broad Brook Brewery in East Windsor is also very good. They will be at Rising Pint.

Reaction Score
For such a small state, CT is freakin' amazing when it comes to local breweries and brew pubs.

Anyone been to Top Shelf Brewing in Manchester????

Top Shelf is owned and operated by 3 Uconn alumn.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Two Roads is a very impressive facility brewing some great beers of their own and several others under contract for other brewers. Phil is doing an amazing job, and the market penetration they have been able to achieve within merely a year is stunning imo.

For hop heads like me, however, NEBCO is at a whole 'nother level with very few other brewers on the planet right now (Hill Farmstead and the Alchemist in VT, and a few others). Fuzzy Ducks (on at Eli's last night, and at Prime 16 in Orange tonight) is nectar of the gods, as is Supernaut (and Corilolis is right there, too). All three are only available on tap, and only occasionally; making for hours-long (not kidding) lines for growler fills at the brewery when they are on.

Ghandi Bot is available in cans, but it usually sells out on the day it is delivered to the package store because the hop heads in the area usually know it. Ask your local store to hold some for you or let you know when they get it in, otherwise you likely won't see it.

I've never seen any of these NEBCO beers in MA. Must be limited to CT? The whole New England region is great for craft beer fans. So many great options (I really like Clown Shoes). The guy at Boulvevard in KC decided to bring their Smokstack series beers out of the area for the first time about 16 months ago, and MA was the destination. He said it has the highest concentration of craft beer drinkers in the country.

Have any of you guys visited Beervana in Cranston RI? Amazing festival each October, with almost exclusively hard to find or small batch beers.

Reaction Score
I know it's a little far away but if you ever get a chance go to the Maine Beer Company in Freeport, ME (where the LL Bean Outlets are), awesome little brewery that produces some of the tastiest craft brews I have ever had.

You can find them in some of the larger liquor stores in the area if you ask - but far and away their best beer is called "Lunch" - it's an IPA done absolutely perfectly, nothing crazy out there but nonetheless one of the best beers I have ever had - last time I found it was at the big liquor store in Manchester next to BJ's.. their other brews are good too (especially "Mo")

Know it isn't CT local but New England local has to count for something ;)

http://www.mainebeercompany.com

Reaction Score
Hoping for nicer weather this year. Some sort of outreach from UConn football would be cool too.

Reaction Score
They should have scheduled it for Sunday May 11th. Perfect place to take your wife/mother for Mother's Day.:eek:

Reaction Score
Live in VT. We love to hit up as many breweries as we can. I have a pretty steady source of Heddy topper now. Was lucky enough to try Lawsons Double Sunshine IPA on tap at Mad River Glen this year. However our favorite, where we always ending up going back to is Hill Farmstead. This week we were off a few days and got away to Lake Willoughby, which just so happens to be close to Hill Farmstead. We were there wed and Friday. Currently in the beer have 5 full growlers, among them Abner, Edward and Excursions number 1. Abner is the best beer I have ever had. This thread inspired me to change a pic of a glass of Abner in front of Lake Willoughby as my avatar

Reaction Score
I know it's a little far away but if you ever get a chance go to the Maine Beer Company in Freeport, ME (where the LL Bean Outlets are), awesome little brewery that produces some of the tastiest craft brews I have ever had.

You can find them in some of the larger liquor stores in the area if you ask - but far and away their best beer is called "Lunch" - it's an IPA done absolutely perfectly, nothing crazy out there but nonetheless one of the best beers I have ever had - last time I found it was at the big liquor store in Manchester next to BJ's.. their other brews are good too (especially "Mo")

Mean Old Tom is my favorite stout! http://www.mainebeercompany.com/our-beers/mean-old-tom/

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Have to second/third/fourth the shout outs for Two Roads. Two of my best friends rent an apartment about 2 minutes away, so when we heard about the place we went over to check it out. HUGE fan of Honeyspot Road, Rye 95, and Road 2 Ruin. They seem to spit out a new beer every few weeks, have food trucks in the parking lot 5 days a week, and the tour is a blast. They're packed every single Saturday, so we usually go on Tuesdays (although there's still usually a good-sized crowd then too). They opened in November 2012 and they're already distributing to Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New York. One friendly tip, though: make sure you pace yourself when drinking their beer; most of what they brew is 6.0% and up. After three Rye 95s (9.5% ABV), I'm usually set for the night. ;)

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Hoping for nicer weather this year. Some sort of outreach from UConn football would be cool too.

Are you hoping for an outreach or a reach-around at Pintfest?

Reaction Score

Got a chance to try "Mean Old Tom" when I was home last september. Found it at Harvest Fine Wine Liquor and Beer Cave in West Hartford. That place is amazing, has everything you can imagine. Was a welcome beer induced sensory overload. I tried to do a CT sampler with NEBCO, two roads and city steam, and added some Maine Brewing Co selections. Enjoyed the 'Roadsmary's Baby" and "Sea Hag" specifically. I'm coming back up to visit next month. If anyone has any other must have recommendations please let me know, I know the Beer Cave will have it. I only get back to CT once a year so want to take advantage. On a side note there have been three local crafts open up in the 1.5yrs here in Memphis (to join a few others that have been around). Fantastic nationwide trend if you ask me. Thanks for this thread Alum04.

Reaction Score
Tequila and Super Models.
My crew did the tequila part at the tailgate before the Memphis game. We sampled the varieties we purchased at the duty free shop at departure from vacationing in Cancun. They didn't make our clothes fall off, but the 3rd quarter of the game was a surreal blur.

Reaction Score
I need to come back and visit this post when I have more time. I'm in NC and we have tons of great beer. My family still is all up in CT and we visit CT breweries when I'm home for Christmas. We really enjoyed Firefly Hollow. Their English Mild was fantastic. Tons of flavor.

Reaction Score
Got a chance to try "Mean Old Tom" when I was home last september. Found it at Harvest Fine Wine Liquor and Beer Cave in West Hartford. That place is amazing, has everything you can imagine. Was a welcome beer induced sensory overload. I tried to do a CT sampler with NEBCO, two roads and city steam, and added some Maine Brewing Co selections. Enjoyed the 'Roadsmary's Baby" and "Sea Hag" specifically. I'm coming back up to visit next month. If anyone has any other must have recommendations please let me know, I know the Beer Cave will have it. I only get back to CT once a year so want to take advantage. On a side note there have been three local crafts open up in the 1.5yrs here in Memphis (to join a few others that have been around). Fantastic nationwide trend if you ask me. Thanks for this thread Alum04.

I am mainly a hop head, but there are definitely other great CT Beers out there...
Shebeen Grape Saison
Shebeen Pineapple Wheat
Relic Brewery (basically everything they have)
City Steam White Wedding
City Steam Careless Love
City Steam Blonde on Blonde
City Steam Hopmess Monster
Hooker Chocolate Truffle Stout
Hooker Noreaster
Hooker Watermelon
Stubborn Beauty Saison
Two Roads Roadsmarys Baby
Two Roads Conntucky Lightning

Just soo many to choose from.
I'm looking forward to drinking a lot of these beers at Rising Pint in Rentschler this Saturday.!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Don't forget City Steam. You can find Nurse & Blonde on Blonde all over CT now. Great restaurant space downtown. We had a Boneyard away game rally there, a few years back.
iirc City Steam is actually brewed at Two Roads.

Reaction Score
But I swear their Mystic Bridge IPA is an IPA in name only. Just MHO.[/quote]

I agree. Can't believe they call it that. Much darker, taste, etc ...

Reaction Score
I need to come back and visit this post when I have more time. I'm in NC and we have tons of great beer. My family still is all up in CT and we visit CT breweries when I'm home for Christmas. We really enjoyed Firefly Hollow. Their English Mild was fantastic. Tons of flavor.

I was at Firefly Hollow yesterday. Place was pretty filled. One of the nicer tasting rooms around.

Nymph IPA, Toadstool Oat Stout & Dire Chinchilla Imperial were amazing.

Loved the sign on the chalkboard under the brew menu: "Growlers are not to be drank on the floor".

Reaction Score
I was at Firefly Hollow yesterday. Place was pretty filled. One of the nicer tasting rooms around.

Nymph IPA, Toadstool Oat Stout & Dire Chinchilla Imperial were amazing.

Loved the sign on the chalkboard under the brew menu: "Growlers are not to be drank on the floor".

I was at Shebeen on Saturday for their 1 year anniversary party. Good beer on tap, live music, and Ted's steamed cheeseburger truck....great time!
They also had a cucumber wasabi beer which was actually pretty good.

Reaction Score
On the festival side, the 2nd Mystic Blues Festival will be at the Mystic Shipyard (not Mystic Seaport) again June 27-29. I hear that parking for the event is once again some 7 miles away requiring a bus trip to the venue - a non-starter for me. But the Spin Doctors (new blues album) and Johnny Winter will be there this year.

http://mysticbluesfestival.com/
http://www.spindoctors.com/
http://www.johnnywinter.net/

The Charles W. Morgan, Mystic Seaport's restored last wooden whaler, restored and afloat again after 60+ years, will be docked at the NL City Pier (visitors May 24-5, and May 31-June 1) being outfitted for it's historic 38th voyage (Mystic - NL - Newport - Martha's Vineyard -New Bedford - PTown - Boston - NL - Mystic. Take the kids. b/t/w, CWM will make the trip from Mystic to NL on Sat May 17, another historic day as it goes down the Mystic River for first time since 1941 when it sailed to the Seaport.

http://www.mysticseaport.org/event/charles-w-morgan-departs-for-38th-voyage/

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom