Azzi out 3-6 weeks (infinite scream) [Merged Thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Azzi out 3-6 weeks (infinite scream) [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Once again UConn is being unnecessarily secretive with injuries. Why are they treating this and so many other injuries as though they're national security secrets? What's the point?

Before addressing the slop up above, I wish Azzi a full recovery. I trust she knows how much support and care us fans have for her.

Now, to the tedious part… Parents, the good ones at least, teach their kids the differences between I need and I want and the most foolish I have a right.

Are we curious for more details? Sure. Nothing wrong with that.
Do we need those details? No. Let me repeat that. No.
Are we entitled to know a kid's personal medical information? Hell no!

Suppose you or I had every last bit of someone else's kid's medical, private information.

Would us knowing that stuff help her recovery?

Would us knowing it help the team deal with the adversity?

Oh, so we want to know, but neither need to know or are entitled to know.

That's simple enough.

Reaction Score
It will take a while for Azzi to get back up to game speed once she is cleared to play. The others will need to hold the fort until the relief column arrives...
Couldn't agree more. Historically there are miraculously effective returns from injury but the norm is spotty play for quite awhile. A great player like Azzi might score some big points in some games off an injury, but complete game performances usually lag.

To your point about "others" in the absence of Azzi (and Paige, and Ice): this team, with Caroline and Dorka healthy, is still top 10 capable.

Reaction Score
could be 8-9 weeks before she is back to old self too...Lou will see a lot more attention now and the other players will have to pick up the scoring or it could be a less than pleasant Dec/Jan

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Watching the replay of the injury in slow motion led me to believe that Azzi would be out for at least a week or 10 days despite Geno's statement to the contrary in the post game presser.
The injury happened too fast and Azzi's reaction while staying in the game covered up its severity.
If you check out the slow motion again, you'll see how much Azzi's knee got rocked backwards.
It looked scary.
UConn will need to rely on its bench players if we're to believe what Geno said in the ND presser that players shouldn't be playing a full 40 minutes.
Geno did not state anything in the post game presser that is contrary to what has unfolded here.
Of Azzi he specifically said: "I think" she'll be alright". Regarding the next game on Thursday he said he "expected" Azzi to be back and that Dorka's availability would be determined in practice in the early part of the week.
An MRI was performed and hopefully you realize that the MRI results makes Geno guesses no more incorrect than the one you made of a week to 10 days. Now is not the time for patting yourself on the back and continuing to second guess the coach.
What Geno said about players shouldn't have to play 40 minutes is kind of a common sense statement so there is no reason not to believe Geno. Azzi only played 13 minutes against ND which "forced" two guards Nika and Lou to have to play 40 minutes. The bench players were not ready to contribute in this game but hopefully they will realize that opportunity is knocking. :cool:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
With this news I want to remind any Prognosticator's out there that want to change their prognostication make sure you give your original post number so I don't have to search through all of the previous predictions to make the adjustments. For @Bone Dog, @PAHuskeyFan and @Zarathustra, your changes have already been done.

Reaction Score
Remember our surprise and delight when Caroline started getting a lot more minutes out of necessity?

Perhaps Inês will surprise us in a similar way. During her recent additional minutes she showed me that she has little or no inhibition while on the the court. You don't get on a Geno Auriemma team without talent and potential. Let's hope, Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Geno saw her moving around and probably asked her how it felt. He figured it was just tweaked and she would be good to go. The MRI looks for soft tissue injury so I would guess she tore something.

Reaction Score
I have one last point; wanting Fudd back to play is all well and good but were I her and her parents, I would be consulting with doctors and thinking this through long term; the young lady has a lot of life to live and recurring knee problems are no joke. Just my opinion from afar, not knowing any of the details of her injuries.

Reaction Score
Lou will see a lot more attention
That's a key point. I think the team coped well with that 2nd half ND, but it will be continual pressure on players who can be inconsistent (Dorka, Caroline, Aubrey) and I would have wished Patterson had a little more time to develop gradually/normally but that luxury has disappeared if this team is to excel.

Reaction Score
Assuming there is nothing physically wrong with Caroline, she will play major minutes now, and this will help her shake off rustiness and recover her game and her shooting. I hope she can do it!

This also is an opportunity for Ayanna and especially Amari to really contribute.

Maybe when Azzi comes back in 6 weeks, we will be a better team that will only improve dramatically with her returning to play.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
@HuskyNan - was it you that wrote an article about kids specializing in one sport too early, and that some experts recommend well rounded athletic participation through middle school? As Geno mentioned recently, they'd been really lucky for years without any major/minor injuries.
Not me.

Reaction Score
HIPAA and personal privacy. Both outweigh your "right" to know.

This has nothing to do with HIPAA. Athletic teams around the country regularly announce and explain injuries to key players. If they're going to say she's injured, why not tell us what the injury actually is? It's UConn being very secretive.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well that's a kick in the butt. I would say the bench has to grow up quickly, but they are already in that mode. I think it is fair to say that prospects for a high tournament seed and another possible trip to the final four just got quite a bit lower.
Ozi, if the team is going to survive these next 6 weeks until Dorka and Azzi return, the bench will have to grow up and figure out what it can do collectively and individually to help the team win.

The starters cannot do it without some support. That includes Amari and Ines. Now Geno only has 8 healthy players that can dress for games. Ready or not, Amari and Ines will be called on to play meaningful minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with HIPAA. Athletic teams around the country regularly announce and explain injuries to key players. If they're going to say she's injured, why not tell us what the injury actually is? It's UConn being very secretive.
Maybe you should become a fan of one of those teams, it will make you feel better

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Actually the player has to approve the release of any medical information, maybe the family and Azzi don't want it released.

Reaction Score
Shaking My Head GIF by Grammarly.com

I'm numb. I am emotionally tied to this program. SMH. What else is going to befall this program? :(

That means the EARLIEST she could return is AFTER the Christmas break. The latest is Somewhere in the vicinity of Jan 15. Games in the vicinity of that date..............St. Johns in Queens on Jan 11, or Georgetown in Hartford Jan 15.

She'll miss games with : Princeton, @ Maryland, Florida State (Uncasville), Seton Hall (Dec 28).

If she's out 6 weeks, she'll also miss games with @ Creighton, Marquette, @ Butler, DePaul, @ St. Johns and possibly Georgetown.
You can bet that all these teams are smelling blood right now as they see UCONN as very beatable.

I tried to get a couple of tickets to the Creighton game last week and they were sold out. I looked on Ticketmaster and people were scalping them at higher prices.

Reaction Score
Actually the player has to approve the release of any medical information, maybe the family and Azzi don't want it released.
That's their business so it's cool.

I'm hoping for a quick recovery. She's young and healthy so she should be able to bounce back OK.

Go Huskies!

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
@HuskyNan - was it you that wrote an article about kids specializing in one sport too early, and that some experts recommend well rounded athletic participation through middle school? As Geno mentioned recently, they'd been really lucky for years without any major/minor injuries.
I wrote about this over a year ago. Two-fold, multiple sports participation increases the build up of various muscle mass in areas that one sport alone may not. There is also increased coordination from playing more than one sport. What may be the most harmful to a player in only one sport is the continued beating an athlete takes from the repetitive stress on various joints and muscle groups. My background: over 40 years coaching and studying sports medicine.

Reaction Score
Get well Azzi. Freak accidents happen but I hope that she is able to return soon. Opportunity has come calling for Amari and Ayanna. Amari has some time to show that she has the metal to play at Uconn. It's a question of will and fortitude. Ayanna's time to shine has come earlier than expected. She needs to let her offensive flag fly, and now the opportunity has presented itself. She has various moves from the Ayanna, as a freshman may have a chance to become as great as she desires....... Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Freak injury. Could happen to anyone when you get your knees taken out by another player. Nothing you could do. I guess the good news is I'm speculating ligaments strain, but not serious enough that requires surgery. So, she can heal with rest & strengthening. I dont think they would give a 3-week timeline (best case) if surgery required. Less serious than what happened to Paige (1st injury) last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom