Azzi out 3-6 weeks (infinite scream) [Merged Thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi out 3-6 weeks (infinite scream) [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Upcoming schedule re the 3-6 weeks:

Yup, split the Creighton and Maryland games and win the rest and we're still sitting in a good place to get a 1 or 2 seed in the tournament once Azzi comes back.

Reaction Score
I have followed women's college basketball for a number of years, and I've never seen anything like this. It's a constant onslaught, now year after year, with several of the starting five out for weeks, months, or a year at a time. I know that other teams have had a year here and there with injuries, but I've never seen the number of injuries elsewhere continue from year to year with different players but new injuries. Unfortunately, any losses we experience will impact our seeding at the end of the season.
I believe ND lost 4 players to ACL tears in the span of like 2 months in the 2017-18 season. I'd say that's worse than anything we're dealing with.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Reminds me of the injury last year where it seemed relatively minor at the time in November, but then turned into 6-8 weeks.
Azzi had a stress reaction in her foot. Seems she had that during the summer before heading to Storrs as she missed a couple of games with USA basketball. She tried to play through it but couldn’t and was shut down. At the time, we were told her foot would be reevaluated after 2-3 weeks. I don’t think anyone thought it was minor; rather many here suggested it would likely take at least 6 weeks to heal. Took about 8. She played after she had healed sufficiently (I’m still not sure she has healed completely).

Nothing about what happened Sunday reminds me of last year.

Reaction Score
Well that's a kick in the butt. I would say the bench has to grow up quickly, but they are already in that mode. I think it is fair to say that prospects for a high tournament seed and another possible trip to the final four just got quite a bit lower.
They will be back...Team will be stronger when Azzi comes back. They may not be the #1seed. But I will bet you no one will want to play them.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I'm not surprised. I'm saddened this happened to Azzi again and can only wish her a full recovery. As for the team, well...

1670349146839.png

Reaction Score
I worried something like this might happen- feel so bad for Azzi. We will have to hope the others can fill in enough to get through this time frame, and that hopefully she can resume playing after these six weeks are over. But with Aaliyah, Dorka, Lou (how fortunate she was available and wanted to play for us!), Aubrey, Caroline, Nika, Ayanna and Amari and Ines, that is still a very good team. I really hope that Caroline will start playing well again, having her as a weapon will definitely help. Geno will get her going.

Reaction Score
Always go for the latter….6 weeks, this way if she comes back sooner is a positive.
And also on the other hand no need to return sooner better she heals properly.
Is a downer the basketball Gods need to realign on our favor.

Reaction Score
I have followed women's college basketball for a number of years, and I've never seen anything like this. It's a constant onslaught, now year after year, with several of the starting five out for weeks, months, or a year at a time. I know that other teams have had a year here and there with injuries, but I've never seen the number of injuries elsewhere continue from year to year with different players but new injuries. Unfortunately, any losses we experience will impact our seeding at the end of the season.
It honestly feels unbelievable. I don't know what is in the water there ... Has UConn - or any other team - in recent memory ever been so injury prone? Jeez.

Edit: I forgot about ND as hoopsfan mentioned. :(:oops:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't know any other team that has suffered like UConn over the last 2 years. Just not fair. Particularly unfair for Azzi as she joins the others knocked out by injury. Good, fast, complete healing Azzi. Paige keep her feeling good. Azzi ditto.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
@HuskyNan - was it you that wrote an article about kids specializing in one sport too early, and that some experts recommend well rounded athletic participation through middle school? As Geno mentioned recently, they'd been really lucky for years without any major/minor injuries.

Reaction Score
It's important to note UConn's release did not specify what type of knee injury she suffered.
However, Fudd does have a history of lower-leg injuries (tore her ACL/MCL in HS + last year's ongoing foot injury)

The provided timeline of three to six weeks would put Fudd’s return between Dec. 28 at No. 18 Creighton and Jan. 15 vs. Georgetown. Fudd will be monitored by the UConn Sports Medicine staff throughout her recovery.

Once again UConn is being unnecessarily secretive with injuries. Why are they treating this and so many other injuries as though they're national security secrets? What's the point?

Reaction Score
How many players do we have now
I would guess 8 if you consider DORKA as "ready" but Geno
did not think that DORKA would play when asked at the
the N.D. Post-Game Presser!! OUCH!!! SEVEN for Princeton??
Let's be healthy for February and March and April!!!!!
SUPPORT THE TEAM! IN GENO WE TRUST!!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'oh, damn it! damn it!'
(lilly, in Hotel New Hampshire, a truly fine movie.)

'keep passing the open windows'... especially now.

don't know what it means, but i remember this,
'Sipping from her water bottle, Azzi takes a break, pointing to her right knee, tweaked slightly, she says.'
Freshman Azzi Fudd in a class of her own

a wonderful read.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm beginning to think this is not our year. :( Too many injuries. Our two best players injured. Whether we can play through them and remain competitive remains to be seen. UConn is definitely weakened by Azzi's injury. That means Caroline and Ayanna need to step up. 20 points a game just went on the shelf. Jana may see more time versus the BIG East teams.

Let's not forget that some of our conference opponents have improved their rosters this year, and a UConn win against them is no longer a given. Especially with our two best players out. That's like entering into a boxing match with one hand tied behind your back. I'm not counting on Dorka until I see her back ON THE FLOOR.

11 games during that 6 week period. It's very possible we could lose at least 2-3 of them. Admit it or not, we are not the team we were a week ago. Let's hope for the best, and wish Azzi a speedy recovery.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Once again UConn is being unnecessarily secretive with injuries. Why are they treating this and so many other injuries as though they're national security secrets? What's the point?
HIPAA and personal privacy. Both outweigh your "right" to know.
There seems to be a increasing trend over the last few years where players, and perhaps players' families elect not to disclose injury details, for a number of reasons. Unlike the NFL and other pro leagues that have to disclose injuries (and whether or not they may play), college is different. They have no obligation to anyone.

Reaction Score
How many players do we have now
Five. Plus Caroline who is not right with the neck and could easily be a no go for any particular game. Plus Amari and Ines who would not ordinarily be playing in meaningful minutes of a game.

Dorka could come in and play one-handed, if it came to that, avoiing contact just to finish out a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom