Azzi out 3-6 weeks (infinite scream) [Merged Thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Azzi out 3-6 weeks (infinite scream) [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Once again UConn is being unnecessarily secretive with injuries. Why are they treating this and so many other injuries as though they're national security secrets? What's the point?

HIPAA and personal privacy. Both outweigh your "right" to know.

With respect to 68, I'd like to add my spin to his/her statement.

HIPAA and personal privacy. Both outweigh your "perceived right" to know.

Reaction Score
@HuskyNan - was it you that wrote an article about kids specializing in one sport too early, and that some experts recommend well rounded athletic participation through middle school? As Geno mentioned recently, they'd been really lucky for years without any major/minor injuries.
It is very difficult to not think there is a cause and effect to the specialization data available, especially when related to joint injuries.

Reaction Score
I'm beginning to think this is not our year. :( Too many injuries. Our two best players injured. Whether we can play through them and remain competitive remains to be seen. UConn is definitely weakened by Azzi's injury. That means Caroline and Ayanna need to step up. 20 points a game just went on the shelf. Jana may see more time versus the BIG East teams.

Let's not forget that some of our conference opponents have improved their rosters this year, and a UConn win against them is no longer a given. Especially with our two best players out. That's like entering into a boxing match with one hand tied behind your back. I'm not counting on Dorka until I see her back ON THE FLOOR.

11 games during that 6 week period. It's very possible we could lose at least 2-3 of them. Admit it or not, we are not the team we were a week ago. Let's hope for the best, and wish Azzi a speedy recovery.
Yes, I expect to feel like I felt last year when we were plagued by injuries - unsurprised but disappointed when we lost to talented teams and pleased when we managed to dig down and grind out a win. I’m going to enjoy every win and hope that somehow all of our bad luck creates some truly inspired play.

Not even going to think about adding to the FF record … if we make it to at least the E8 this year I will be pretty happy. Keeping my expectations “low”.

sun

Reaction Score
Watching the replay of the injury in slow motion led me to believe that Azzi would be out for at least a week or 10 days despite Geno's statement to the contrary in the post game presser.
The injury happened too fast and Azzi's reaction while staying in the game covered up its severity.
If you check out the slow motion again, you'll see how much Azzi's knee got rocked backwards.
It looked scary to me.
UConn will need to rely on its bench players if we're to believe what Geno said in the ND presser that players shouldn't be playing a full 40 minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, now, I am really disappointed to hear that news and I sincerely wish Azzi a full recovery whatever it takes.

Sad news for the Team and the Coaches. I'm sure that Coach will make appropriate adjustments and we will still see a competitive and fun season especially as they are entering the Big East.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I was texting @ucbart and @EricLA to remind them of 2004, when Minnesota star Lindsay Whalen injured herself during the Big Ten season causing Minnesota to lose a number of games. The Gophers earned a #7 seed in the NCAAT when Whalen returned, fully healthy.

As the 7th seed, the team was able to beat higher ranked opponents -- including #2 Kansas State in the Second Round, #3 Boston College in the Sweet 16, and #2 Duke in the Elite Eight -- en route to the Final Four.

While I wish Azzi Fudd a speed recovery and offer my condolences to UConn on the seemingly unprecedented rash of injuries, this team is still going to be among the two or three best teams come NCAA Tournament time.

Reaction Score
out 3-6 weeks now, but they were comfortable playing her through it in the first half? That feels incredibly dangerous.
In real time it was hard for the bench to see what happened. Azzi stayed in, on her own, for another minute or two and then (I think) Geno or someone saw her clutching at the knee and Geno took her out near the end of the 1Q. She was put back, with Trainer OK and at her declaration that she was OK and no obvious evidence to the contrary, but only for a few minutes, in the 2nd Q.

After the half she assured everybody (including Paige who seemed concerned and skeptical) that she was OK but Geno decided to be cautious and did not play her in the second half.

Reaction Score
It will take a while for Azzi to get back up to game speed once she is cleared to play. The others will need to hold the fort until the relief column arrives...

Reaction Score
Yes, I expect to feel like I felt last year when we were plagued by injuries - unsurprised but disappointed when we lost to talented teams and pleased when we managed to dig down and grind out a win. I’m going to enjoy every win and hope that somehow all of our bad luck creates some truly inspired play.

Not even going to think about adding to the FF record … if we make it to at least the E8 this year I will be pretty happy. Keeping my expectations “low”.
I think with Azzi and Dorka back UCONN is a final four caliber team again. If she is back in January, she has time to get back into the flow well before tournament time. Pray for no more injuries! The back-to-back loss record is the one in the most jeopardy in my mind right now.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Well that's a kick in the butt. I would say the bench has to grow up quickly, but they are already in that mode. I think it is fair to say that prospects for a high tournament seed and another possible trip to the final four just got quite a bit lower.
Actually as long as they win the Big East Tournament they are in. If it's 3 weeks she won't miss the Tenn and SC games, if it's longer then 6 weeks she may miss both. I do believe that the back to back loss streak is going to stop while she is out. UConn's schedule is brutal in December.

Reaction Score
I think we will see Lou have some BIG games. Hoping caroline and the rest of the squad do too. I’m glad Azzi is only 3-6 weeks and not 3-6 months. Looks like UConn will be playing with only 6 main players unless amari and/or ines can get time and prove themselves.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It will take a while for Azzi to get back up to game speed once she is cleared to play. The others will need to hold the fort until the relief column arrives...
While I fully agree with you, I seem to remember Katy Lou coming back from an injury and making 10 3 pointers in her first game back. I'm sure someone can give the exact details. Talk about a best case scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom