Azzi out 3-6 weeks (infinite scream) [Merged Thread] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Azzi out 3-6 weeks (infinite scream) [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno saw her moving around and probably asked her how it felt. He figured it was just tweaked and she would be good to go. The MRI looks for soft tissue injury so I would guess she tore something.
I ran into a barbed wire fence while hunting the Sunday before last. I thought I heard something pop in back on my left leg. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to walk back to the car. I limped back OK. I tried to jog out of the way of a car in a parking lot last Friday and almost collapsed. My leg gave way. It feels better today and I hope to be OK soon.
I'm hunting later today. ;-}

She was able to run a little but knew something was wrong so it's good they didn't put her back in.

Reaction Score
Well, this totally sucks, but not surprising, given the unnatural way her knee was bent.
At least it’s not season ending.
We need a serious Mojo reset for this team. Coach Hurley comes over and smudges the locker room with sage?
Call a priest for an exorcism??
Something!!

Reaction Score
Assuming there is nothing physically wrong with Caroline, she will play major minutes now, and this will help her shake off rustiness and recover her game and her shooting. I hope she can do it!

This also is an opportunity for Ayanna and especially Amari to really contribute.

Maybe when Azzi comes back in 6 weeks, we will be a better team that will only improve dramatically with her returning to play.
That’s a big assumption based on how she looked last game. It’s obvious she hasn’t played or practiced as much as the others. She’s not sure where she fits in, and is hesitant as a result. Hope she comes around soon as she’s needed again.

Reaction Score
Jess Moore played a half a game with a torn ACL. Once it’s torn, it can’t be hurt any more

i have a torn ACL and I agree
That is true of the ACL itself. But the resultant instability of the joint is what causes the cartilage and bone damage like what Bueckers suffered last year. That's why, after MRI confirmation of an ACL tear, you don't see players continuing to play on it like they did 15-20 years ago. Once there is significant cartilage damage, restoration surgery is usually required to avoid long term pain and arthritis problems with the joint.

Articular Cartilage Restoration - OrthoInfo - AAOS

Reaction Score
Here is a positive - - Geno said he was pleased with the second half vs ND. In the presser he said --he thought that Uconn won the second half (scoring more points,) He was pleased with the better effort and tougher defense. ND at home is a difficult team to play and those second half players competed well. All those second half players will be available for Princeton and Maryland. If Dorka can play -- the team is in even better shape.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I believe ND lost 4 players to ACL tears in the span of like 2 months in the 2017-18 season. I'd say that's worse than anything we're dealing with.
All four injuries were ACL tears, but the first - Bri Turner -- happened the previous season. The other three, as you recall, happened relatively close together in late 2017. The last, to Lili Thompson took place, eerily enough, in a UConn-ND game.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
That is true of the ACL itself. But the resultant instability of the joint is what causes the cartilage and bone damage like what Bueckers suffered last year. That's why, after MRI confirmation of an ACL tear, you don't see players continuing to play on it like they did 15-20 years ago. Once there is significant cartilage damage, restoration surgery is usually required to avoid long term pain and arthritis problems with the joint.

Articular Cartilage Restoration - OrthoInfo - AAOS
Good points. And, in Jess Moore's case, her joint/muscle structure may have provided more stability than in others. When I did both of my ---s, my ortho said I didn't have much of a choice to repair, as my hip to knee q-angle would give me issues and I really didn't have a stable point in my knee. Surgery also prevented any further damage for me, as I was "lucky" to have only torn the youknowwhat, but no surgery possibly would make me a prime total knee candidate by the time I was 50.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I know we can't use foul language, but I want to use foul language.

We should never ever play Notre Dame again. First Paige, now Azzi. And YES I know it was a freak injury but I said what I said.

I hope Azzi gets better soon.

The series has, unfortunately, racked up some knee injuries the last five years, including the two most recent that you mention.
In 2017, ND guard Lili Thompson went down with an ACL injury in a regular-season UConn-ND game at Connecticut. That was her last collegiate game.

I, too, like all the McGraw's Bench colleagues I've read today and Sunday, hope Azzi recovers well (and stronger). Best to her family, as well, who have been through a number of these injuries.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I thought I heard something pop in back on my left leg. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to walk back to the car. I limped back OK. I tried to jog out of the way of a car in a parking lot last Friday and almost collapsed. My leg gave way. It feels better today and I hope to be OK soon.
I'm hunting later today. ;-}

She was able to run a little but knew something was wrong so it's good they didn't put her back in.
:D Damn..... what were you hunting or was someone hunting you? I'm picturing every scene in the Hunger Games and the The Purge.

Season 2 Ok GIF by Law & Order

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Yup. The best team in America is sitting on our bench.
Good point! If you counted Caroline based on earlier this season, you'd have a center, a power forward, a tall wing, a shooting guard, and a point guard.

Reaction Score
Dorka back now Azzi out. Uconn can never catch a break. It feels like we are the only team that have major injuries to big time players.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There seems to be a increasing trend over the last few years where players, and perhaps players' families elect not to disclose injury details, for a number of reasons. Unlike the NFL and other pro leagues that have to disclose injuries (and whether or not they may play), college is different. They have no obligation to anyone.
I was texting @ucbart and @EricLA to remind them of 2004, when Minnesota star Lindsay Whalen injured herself during the Big Ten season causing Minnesota to lose a number of games. The Gophers earned a #7 seed in the NCAAT when Whalen returned, fully healthy.

As the 7th seed, the team was able to beat higher ranked opponents -- including #2 Kansas State in the Second Round, #3 Boston College in the Sweet 16, and #2 Duke in the Elite Eight -- en route to the Final Four.

While I wish Azzi Fudd a speed recovery and offer my condolences to UConn on the seemingly unprecedented rash of injuries, this team is still going to be among the two or three best teams come NCAA Tournament time.
Thanks Cam

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You can bet that all these teams are smelling blood right now as they see UCONN as very beatable.

I tried to get a couple of tickets to the Creighton game last week and they were sold out. I looked on Ticketmaster and people were scalping them at higher prices.
That’s right Striper!! If you’re a conference opponent, there is blood in the water and NOW is the time to strike. You may not get another chance like this for years. UConn usually draws a large crowd when they go on the road anyway, but not like will will the next 6 weeks when there's a possibility that the home team can actually win. What other team could lose its two best scorers and its post player and still be viable? :eek: Remember, Caroline is not all the way back yet.

Get well soon Striper. :)

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yup. The best team in America is sitting on our bench.
Yeah, at least 50 points. Before Azzi went down, Geno said (in a pregame presser) that he had 40 points (Paige, Dorka and Ice) sitting on his bench. Well now add another 20 to it. :confused: Those points must be made up from someone. Who? :eek:

Reaction Score
I wrote about this over a year ago. Two-fold, multiple sports participation increases the build up of various muscle mass in areas that one sport alone may not. There is also increased coordination from playing more than one sport. What may be the most harmful to a player in only one sport is the continued beating an athlete takes from the repetitive stress on various joints and muscle groups. My background: over 40 years coaching and studying sports medicine.

Reaction Score
Ugh. Hate to hear Azzi will be out. Her health is most important so she needs to do what is best for her and her future, no matter how long it takes.

UConn's had enough injuries the last few years to last a lifetime. I hate to see any team get hit so hard. Hopefully this is the end for some time.

Reaction Score
I’m gonna make a complete Tony out of myself. Assuming no more season ending injuries, we will have the same team that we began the season with at crunch time. A team that many feel is a FF team. I pay no attention to seeding. Maybe we lose a few games and are a 2,3 4 seed. I don’t care. If we are a FF team, we beat whoever they put in front of us. I’m also optimistic about Azzi’s return to her past performance since it appears that no surgery is necessary. 4,6,8 weeks…doesn’t matter as long as we get a 100% Azzi back whenever it is. We’re gonna be ok.

Now, I can get back to the skeptical, sarcastic Lobo Days and all those “Dislikes”.

Reaction Score
Once again UConn is being unnecessarily secretive with injuries. Why are they treating this and so many other injuries as though they're national security secrets? What's the point?
It’s possible that the AD or Geno have a policy to not distribute that information for a plethora of reasons. In that way there is consistency and no pressure on the athlete to release the details. Besides, they provided you with the only information that is pertinent to you - the expected recovery timeframe.

Reaction Score
Besides this news being so devastating it was the fact that, through NO FAULT on her, it was a Uconn player that hit her knee! Now is the time for Caroline to step to and Dorka to be Dorka when she comes back. AMARI will also have a chance to prove Geno was right in selecting her for Uconn. We still have great potential in the players still healthy. GO HUSKIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom