Any Updates on Wilson? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Any Updates on Wilson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
well said... but people are acting like Geno has his fingers in his ears and dont want to hear anything a recruit says/request/demands etc.
Who is doing that?

All I see are people commenting that Geno tells players that nothing is promised and you have to work hard to play.

There is no way a player is going to tell Geno where he is going to play them. If they said that to him during the recruiting process he would tell them that it's his decision to where a player plays and I guess if you want to play the 2, show me that makes the most sense.

Are you saying that Geno would let a player dictate position?

Reaction Score
Breanna-Stewart-APjpg.jpg
[/quote]

well said... but people are acting like Geno has his fingers in his ears and dont want to hear anything a recruit says/request/demands etc.

I thought much of this started in reply to the Tenn fan suggesting that Geno will take A'ja under any circumstance/acquiesce to any of her demands.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
A'ja isn't the kind of outside shooter to play the 2, but I think her combination of abilities is perfect for the 3 and also where she would be most comfortable, from what I've read. I'm sure she'll play wherever who coach wants her to play, but I think she'll be most effective and happiest at the 3. I know, if she comes to South Carolina, the 3 is where she would help us the most.
here's the thing, Geno really doesn't play by positions. Their offense is predicated on player movement. If Wilson comes to UConn she will have plenty of opportunity to showcase her ball handling skills. And also learn to post up with authority. Just look at the difference in Stewarts game from last year. Even in her dominating NCAA tourney performance, she wasn't posting up like she does now. She is bigger and stronger. I think that is where her game is improving.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Who is doing that?

All I see are people commenting that Geno tells players that nothing is promised and you have to work hard to play.

There is no way a player is going to tell Geno where he is going to play them. If they said that to him during the recruiting process he would tell them that it's his decision to where a player plays and I guess if you want to play the 2, show me that makes the most sense.

nope Im not, just wondering why people keep repeating Geno's ways and act like he hasnt adjusted at all since coming to UConn.

a freshman will never start... it has happened whether its due to injuries etc. it has happened. Im sure he's had upperclassmen that could have started in their place but he chose a freshman.

nothing is in stone, Kalana was a 3pt threat... Dolson shoots 3's, * even Tina may have jacked up a few. who woulda thunk

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

I thought much of this started in reply to the Tenn fan suggesting that Geno will take A'ja under any circumstance/acquiesce to any of her demands.[/quote]
you and I both know thats foolish... why would someone take that comment and run with it?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
nope Im not, just wondering why people keep repeating Geno's ways and act like he hasnt adjusted at all since coming to UConn.

a freshman will never start... it has happened whether its due to injuries etc. it has happened. Im sure he's had upperclassmen that could have started in their place but he chose a freshman.

nothing is in stone, Kalana was a 3pt threat... Dolson shoots 3's, even Tina may have jacked up a few. who woulda thunk
Because he hasn't changed his core principles in coaching. Tell us what changes you think he has made.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Then by all accounts USC should be very good. The Gamecocks under Dawn Staley have - if anything - been OVER-achievers during the previous 3 seasons winning 18, 25, and 25 gms. Those teams had little to no depth in the interior. Had low numbers (only had 9 players on roster last season after losing Tiffiany Davis to season-ending injury in Game #3). And played in a tough, competitive SEC that traditionally didn't include USC in top discussion. The USC teams under Staley have had great team chemistry, and typically have had some of the nation's best defenses. By most of the "issues" you've named above, it's apparent that you're speaking of other programs NOT name South Carolina. That will be a good thing for Wilson....

USC hasn't finished like a lamb, either. They had the toughest 5 games of their entire season as their final 5 of the reg. season, and they went 4-1. Tennessee is still the king of the hill in the SEC until someone else knocks them down, and they still have the physical matchup advantages over USC that they held in previous seasons. And USC needed to bring their A-Game vs ut their two games, and they brought their B-Games instead. It's OK, USC is still learning. I considered them a capable Final Four contender and no better for this season, and I haven't changed that opinion. The best of Gamecock Women's Basketball still lies ahead of them, not behind them or in the midst of them now...
USC has had a very good record over the past few seasons. I would like to see their OOC schedule tuffer. They dont play any top teams, they play a relatively easy OOC schedule. The SEC I will disagree with you. The SEC is not a tuff conference and Tenn has been an up and down team. As conference champs you should win or at least compete for your conference championship. USC didnt. Yes they are an up and coming team and yes Dawn is s very good coach one of my favorite but USC still has a way to go and one player would be a start but USC will need more then Wilson and this years incoming class.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno's recruiting practices are an open book. Including his own, plus Mel Thomas's "Heart of a Husky." Also the volume of "on the record" statements he has made. All without any prompting by Tennessee fans. Or Boneyarders.

Of course he listens to what new players request, and he considers their request before making his decision.

When Diana arrived, she expressed a desire to wear "0" on her jersey. Geno told her that zero is not a number. Request denied. At some point later, When asked why she wore number"3," she answered with no hesitation: "Coach made me!"

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
USC has had a very good record over the past few seasons. I would like to see their OOC schedule tuffer. They dont play any top teams, they play a relatively easy OOC schedule. The SEC I will disagree with you. The SEC is not a tuff conference and Tenn has been an up and down team. As conference champs you should win or at least compete for your conference championship. USC didnt. Yes they are an up and coming team and yes Dawn is s very good coach one of my favorite but USC still has a way to go and one player would be a start but USC will need more then Wilson and this years incoming class.
We also have Jatarie White, Bianca Cuevas and Kaydra Duckett coming in for next season - all top 32 players. We also don't lose anyone off of this year's SEC Championship squad. No, we have a young team and this year's team did not have a particularly tough non-conference schedule. We did beat the PAC-12 Tournament champs on the road by 20, though, in a game that wasn't close. I guess we'll see what happens in the NCAAT. I've always known we wouldn't hit top level until '14 - '15, though.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We also have Jatarie White, Bianca Cuevas and Kaydra Duckett coming in for next season - all top 32 players. We also don't lose anyone off of this year's SEC Championship squad. No, we have a young team and this year's team did not have a particularly tough non-conference schedule. We did beat the PAC-12 Tournament champs on the road by 20, though, in a game that wasn't close. I guess we'll see what happens in the NCAAT. I've always known we wouldn't hit top level until '14 - '15, though.
You have a good team, that has good execution but you really havent played anybody good. Tenn GA UNC are not great teams. They are better then most but not a Baylor Stanford UConn ND Lville. Southern Cal was not a great team when you played them.

Next year you will be a young team lacking experience and senior leadership. You will have alot of talent but so do many other teams. If you get Wilson UConn will still win championships and if UConn gets Wilson UConn will still win championships. Your not there yet. It takes years.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You have a good team, that has good execution but you really havent played anybody good. Tenn GA UNC are not great teams. They are better then most but not a Baylor Stanford UConn ND Lville. Southern Cal was not a great team when you played them.

Next year you will be a young team lacking experience and senior leadership. You will have alot of talent but so do many other teams. If you get Wilson UConn will still win championships and if UConn gets Wilson UConn will still win championships. Your not there yet. It takes years.

How will a team with 3 seniors, two of which are starters, be lacking senior leadership.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score

[/quote]I thought much of this started in reply to the Tenn fan suggesting that Geno will take A'ja under any circumstance/acquiesce to any of her demands.[/quote]

Well there ya go again..twisting my words. This started by me stating that South Carolina would benefit greatly from having Aja and the explosive perimeter threat she could add to their team. A couple posters had issues with that and flatly stated that she would never play guard in college, never minding the fact that in the article I linked in one of my posts, she flatly states that she doesn't want to play the four or five position. Write it down, she WILL play a guard spot in college, whether it's bringing the ball up the court of playing on the wing. And I didn't exactly say that Geno would take her under any circumstances. Again, putting a nice spin on what I said. obviously Geno understands her preference at guard, and knows she would be quite impactful at that spot..why else would he be recruiting her?? I'm sure he has also made concessions with other players before..what coach hasn't?

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Who is doing that?

First off, Aja hasn't signed with Geno and Uconn. No one said that a player would dictate to Geno where they wanted to play. That's silly. A player like Aja can make requests and coaches will listen. If what your saying is true, why does Uconn and Aja have mutual interest in each other??

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
here's the thing, Geno really doesn't play by positions. Their offense is predicated on player movement. If Wilson comes to UConn she will have plenty of opportunity to showcase her ball handling skills. And also learn to post up with authority. Just look at the difference in Stewarts game from last year. Even in her dominating NCAA tourney performance, she wasn't posting up like she does now. She is bigger and stronger. I think that is where her game is improving.

Unless she has changed her playing style recently and what she prefers, she won't be posting up anywhere.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
First off, Aja hasn't signed with Geno and Uconn. No one said that a player would dictate to Geno where they wanted to play. That's silly. A player like Aja can make requests and coaches will listen. If what your saying is true, why does Uconn and Aja have mutual interest in each other??
Because she didn't request that she play guard.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Unless she has changed her playing style recently and what she prefers, she won't be posting up anywhere.
I guess you didn't watch the USA team. She played exclusively a forward, and mostly in the post.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well I mean at the college level. I just have to go off her words..Who knows, she might make a great post player
Can you find more than that one quote in one article over a year ago?

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
While we are on this subject, does anyone know of an elite player making such unreasonable demands during the recruiting process, that the coach just ends the recruitment..be it Geno or any other coach

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
While we are on this subject, does anyone know of an elite player making such unreasonable demands during the recruiting process, that the coach just ends the recruitment..be it Geno or any other coach
I'd mention them, but then we would have to hear that I am just trashing a player that didn't end up at UConn.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Can you find more than that one quote in one article over a year ago?

You know as I get older, I find it much harder to navigate around a keyboard and actually see the keys..so ya, one article is a big deal for me. I still have a flip phone for goodness sakes..

Reaction Score
I thought much of this started in reply to the Tenn fan suggesting that Geno will take A'ja under any circumstance/acquiesce to any of her demands.
you and I both know thats foolish... why would someone take that comment and run with it?[/quote]

What "one" comment are you referring to? You mean the four that he made?

Reaction Score
And I didn't exactly say that Geno would take her under anycircumstances. Again, putting a nice spin
Okay so are you are backing off the below statements in italics you made? What I was saying is that I believe many had an issue with the below comments in italics which can be implied that A’ja should be taken under any circumstance.

I mean how can you not say based on your belwo quotes that if A’ja can choose any position she wants that there isn’t implication that Geno like everyone else should take her? You follow that up later by saying “he’ll respect her playing wishes.” Now are you saying Geno will not respect their playing wishes if it differs with his outlook? Because that doesn’t appear what you said with number 2.

And as for number 3, you made that reply to another poster who said she’d never play guard. At UCONN. Your post speaks for itself. To paraphrase it states "he’ll play her at guard if it means getting her caliber player. ”YOU mean you didn’t mean to say “under any circumstance?”

If you knew there were valid reasons (circumstances) not to take her, then why ask the question?

It’s why I said on my first post to you – if you believe that there are circumstances why Geno should have reservations of taking her, then how do you explain the posts you made below? They are replies to other posters stating Geno should take her for the position she chooses. That sounds like “Take her under any circumstance” to me.

1---"Aja is the type of elite player that can pretty much choose what position she wants to play...."

2---"Geno, like every other coach who is recruiting her, will certainly respect her playing wishes if it means getting her on campus. . ."

3---"You don't think geno would make that kind of concession if it meant getting the caliber of player aja is? . . . "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom