Any Updates on Wilson? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Any Updates on Wilson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wouldn't it be funny if A'ja is reading all of the many threads about her on various forums?
Actually I'd find it kind of sad. But anyway...

Here's a recent look at Ms Wilson so everyone can get a little look at how she plays. From this one can conclude she does not play the 1/2, but pretty much a 3/4, with some inside the lane work. And defensively a 5. A lot of Stewie in her game. But, it's only one game, so take what you will.

Seems like a great kid, great competitor and would fit in well at UCONN. We'll see where she chooses.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Staley has been a head coach for 13+ years.

The discussion is what she is building at USC. She has been there 5 years and she had her team in the top 5 much of the season. Adding a player like Wilson to what she already has may be her "Rebecca Lobo" moment.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Mulkey won her first title 5 years after becoming the coach at Baylor. Dawn Staley is now in her 5th year as the head coach at USC. It doesn't take all coaches 10 years to win their first title.

To which coaches who took 10 years to win their first title are you referring and what do those coaches have to do with Dawn Staley?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The discussion is what she is building at USC. She has been there 5 years and she had her team in the top 5 much of the season. Adding a player like Wilson to what she already has may be her "Rebecca Lobo" moment.

Isn't that what Kelsey Bone was supposed to be?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd mention them, but then we would have to hear that I am just trashing a player that didn't end up at UConn.

I remember a great one from before Geno won anything. If a player thinks she needs to dictate terms she's probably better off someplace else.

Reaction Score
th
Ha took me a second to get that.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
To a degree, yes. Bone was the big fish Dawn hauled in, in only her 2nd recruiting class at USC. Second in her class only to Baylor's Griner, Bone hailed out of TX and just narrowly missed winning the SEC Frosh of the yr her lone season in Columbia (a talented player for UK won it: can't remember her name right now, but she helped lead the way for UK to become a successful program under Mitchell), averaging 14 ppg and 9 rpg. But she got homesick, and transferred to Texas A&M after that year, and became a top player for the Aggies. During the past 2 25-win seasons for the Gamecocks, the biggest weakness of the team was the lack of presence in the paint against teams like UT, TAMU, Stanford, UGA, etc...

I think you might be thinking of A'dia Mathies for Kentucky.

If Dawn keeps recruiting as well as she has, I think she could be competing for NC's as soon as next season..

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think you might be thinking of A'dia Mathies for Kentucky.

If Dawn keeps recruiting as well as she has, I think she could be competing for NC's as soon as next season..
Next season ND loses McBride Achonwa and Braker thats alot and they do have some good players on their roster. Stanford loses Chiney and Baylor Simms. Duke loses alot and has a good roster. USC has a good roster coming back as does Tenn. UConn will be right back on top with hopefully a healthy Tuck and the big names in their incoming class headed by Kia Nurse the Olympian from Canada. So there should be some new names in the top five polls next season but the view will not change. Everybody will be looking up at UConn.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
L
As I have stated before: since UConn won their 1st NC, and including it, UConn has won 8 NCs in 19 seasons...possibly on their way to 9 NCs in 20 seasons. Someone else won those other 11 NCs in the meantime. So it's not locked down as some like to think...
It's not even a lock for this year. Nothing in life is certain.

But care to wager on it?

9 in 20 years and you are pointing out the other 11 years?

I am praying we get to play USC.

Reaction Score
Height is not a skill set. It is a physical measurable. How one utilizes that physical measurable (height, size (weight), speed) within the game of basketball - shot making, ball handling and distribution, rebounding, steals and defensive play) is a skill set....

Being 6'5" is definitely a HUGE advantage for the 1 or 2 positions, and moreso than the 3,4,5. Why? Because at the 3,4,5 positions one is more likely to compete against other 6'5" players than they would at the 1 or 2 positions. The issue with a 6'5" player playing the 1 or 2 position is typically those players are not as adept at ball handling and lateral movement along the perimeter, because more likely their ball skills simply weren't developed for that part of the game. They most likely were always among the taller of their age group, even back in rec league ball....

Sorry but I never said height was a skill set. I said playing the 1 or 2 requires different skills than playing the 4 or 5. And while 6'5" guards would surely have a huge advantage it isn't nearly as important for a guard to be tall as it is for a post. Furthermore, Wilson may have developed guard skills at some point, but we have no idea how good those skills are. Being able to dribble and move laterally against Jr High players is one thing, being able to do it against AA college guards is quite another. And if SC is to compete for a NC their guards have to be that good, not HS good. Stewart has guard skills but not at the level needed to do it at UConn. That doesn't mean she won't at times bring the ball up court or set up on the perimeter. And in UConn's switching defensive system she will defend against guards. But she isn't good enough at the required skills to do it consistently against the top guards in the country. Maybe Wilson has those skills at that level but she'd have to show me she's the next Magic Johnson.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
L

It's not even a lock for this year. Nothing in life is certain.

But care to wager on it?

9 in 20 years and you are pointing out the other 11 years?

I am praying we get to play USC.

Why so eager to play USC? They were the best defensive team this year in the SEC, as well as the 5th best defensive team in the country..I think a Uconn USC game on a neutral court would be a competitive one..

Reaction Score
Why so eager to play USC? They were the best defensive team this year in the SEC, as well as the 5th best defensive team in the country..I think a Uconn USC game on a neutral court would be a competitive one..
Right, just like the Louisville games were supposed to be, and the Maryland road game, and the Penn road State game, and the Baylor road game, and the Stanford game, and the Duke road game... Please excuse me if I seem just a bit skeptical.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Right, just like the Louisville games were supposed to be, and the Maryland road game, and the Penn road State game, and the Baylor road game, and the Stanford game, and the Duke road game... Please excuse me if I seem just a bit skeptical.

Wait now, the Baylor game was actually quite competitive

Reaction Score
Wait now, the Baylor game was actually quite competitive
At times, but still in the end it was a double digit loss for Baylor on their home floor. Even when Baylor got close, the game never seemed in doubt, and how much time did UConn trail out of the 40 minutes? In a competitive game I'd expect it to be a little more back and forth than that game was.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I've seen their offense. They won't score 50 points against Uconn.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Next season ND loses McBride Achonwa and Braker thats alot and they do have some good players on their roster. Stanford loses Chiney and Baylor Simms. Duke loses alot and has a good roster. USC has a good roster coming back as does Tenn. UConn will be right back on top with hopefully a healthy Tuck and the big names in their incoming class headed by Kia Nurse the Olympian from Canada. So there should be some new names in the top five polls next season but the view will not change. Everybody will be looking up at UConn.

If USC snags Wilson there may be a lot of folks looking up at them.

Reaction Score
I'll add this regarding UConn recruiting. Let's say you're a high school senior (not an athlete) looking to choose a college. You get a full ride to Harvard (or Penn or Princeton) and then a bunch of other offers. Would anyone need more than a minute to know which school they should go to? Unless all of your offers are Ivy League, I think the choice is about as simple as it can get. Decisions are only tough when you have a bunch of equally good options. UConn WCBB is the Harvard of the sport. There is no debate it is the best program in America. If you really want to become the best you can and play for the best, but choose not to go to UConn when offered, then you're lying.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'll add this regarding UConn recruiting. Let's say you're a high school senior (not an athlete) looking to choose a college. You get a full ride to Harvard (or Penn or Princeton) and then a bunch of other offers. Would anyone need more than a minute to know which school they should go to? Unless all of your offers are Ivy League, I think the choice is about as simple as it can get. Decisions are only tough when you have a bunch of equally good options. UConn WCBB is the Harvard of the sport. There is no debate it is the best program in America. If you really want to become the best you can and play for the best, but choose not to go to UConn when offered, then you're lying.

I'm truly surprised that UCONN does not snag the top 4 players from every class. There is simply no logical reason to consider any other university.

RandomFan85

A Rogue LV Fan
Reaction Score
Ummm... no not even close. USC played a weak OOC schedule and was 2-3 against the other three top teams in the SEC. Nothing of that suggests you would be able to play a competitive game against UCONN.

Reaction Score
I'm truly surprised that UCONN does not snag the top 4 players from every class. There is simply no logical reason to consider any other university.
If your career is going to be basketball, then I agree.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Ummm... no not even close. USC played a weak OOC schedule and was 2-3 against the other three top teams in the SEC. Nothing of that suggests you would be able to play a competitive game against UCONN.

Um I'm a vol fan bud lol

Reaction Score
And once again the committee puts UConn and Tenn on opposite sides of the bracket, almost guaranteeing that they won't play.

Coincidence?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn has the #1 scoring defense at 47.0 ppg, while USC is #8 at 55.0 ppg.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Will start our relocation process to So Car later this year- really excited about Columbia becoming a potential Uconn and enjoying quality basketball down there!
Let me know if you need to know anything about the city.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Cocker leghorn- how much are season tickets??? Still good seats available? Lower tier? Donation amts needed to secure better seats?
There are 2 different ways to get season tickets - $50 per single reserved seat or $100 for 4 general admission season tickets this season. I don't know if that will change next year. My seats are in the reserved section 4 rows behind the visitors' end of the scorer's table. You don't have to be a Gamecock Club member to get WBB seats as our arena seats 18,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom