2023 WNBA Free Agency | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2023 WNBA Free Agency

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Per Alexa P

BREAKING: Dearica Hamby — a champion with the Las Vegas Aces — has been traded to the Los Angeles Sparks.

Sparks get the Aces’ 2024 first rounder and send exclusive negotiating rights to Amanda Zahui B and their 2024 second round pick to Vegas

Confused by this. Really am.

I feel your confustion :confused:Hold it...the Aces gave up both Hamby -- a starter and All-Star -- and the draft pick for the rights to Zahui B (who should be a back-up)?
Huh? I know Hamby is pregnant with her 2nd child, but whose going to fill up that forward slot? Have to think there's a free agent signing out there (with Hamby's salary) and/or a possible other trade (and don't ask me whom). Let the fun beging.

Reaction Score
I believe hamburger is pregnant… and that’s it. All I got

Still doesn't make sense to me. Hamby and Zhaui B are different players in my opinion. Who does Vegas see filling that gap? That's why I'm stumped.

Reaction Score
While I understand CT’s need to clear cap space and its desire to honor Jonquel Jones’ trade request, I am not sure how pairing Alyssa Thomas and Brionna Jones in the frontcourt meshes with the Rizzotti’s /White’s stated desire to play at a faster pace and shoot more threes.

Having Rebecca Allen will help, but neither Thomas nor Jones is a threat from distance – or even outside the paint. Courtney Williams had one year where she was a consistent threat from three (2021, with Atlanta), but she is a player who mostly settles for long twos with inconsistent efficiency at this stage.

Given Jonquel Jones is a former MVP and still in her basketball prime, the haul for trading Jones and Jasmine Thomas was the #6 pick, Rebecca Allen, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Jasmine Walker, and the rights to Kianna Smith.

And the fact the Liberty also acquired Kayla Thornton instead of the Sun shows how lopsided the Jones trade was.
And neither Thomas or Jones will protect the rim, which many times creates, a miss and fast break the other way.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Still doesn't make sense to me. Hamby and Zhaui B are different players in my opinion. Who does Vegas see filling that gap? That's why I'm stumped.

Not disagreeing…
I don't think Zhaui B. is coming aboard to fill the Hamby gap. Think she'll be a sub for both Wilson and whomever takes over that slot.
They must have someone in mind, which will fit into the money slot they used for Hamby. That's my only guess here. Heck...it's gotta be something like that because they traded away the '23 draft pick.

Reaction Score
definitely was a move to save cap space for a player, not sure who it could be. Just know as a raiders fan, Mark Davis has not been afraid to spend money with raiders and aces. Rumors on Tom Brady coming here too.

Reaction Score
definitely was a move to save cap space for a player, not sure who it could be. Just know as a raiders fan, Mark Davis has not been afraid to spend money with raiders and aces. Rumors on Tom Brady coming here too.

That's true, however results are mixed. It's paid off for the Aces. Jury's out regarding the Raiders.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
That's true, however results are mixed. It's paid off for the Aces. Jury's out regarding the Raiders.

If this is, indeed, a move made to free up cap space in order to find a replacement for the player who created the need -- because of pregnancy -- then that's draconian. It's also a policy that should change in the WNBA. If a player is pregnant, why should that count against the cap for that year? Yes, I know the Aces are up against the cap, but -- holy crow -- this has been one of the key drivers of the team.

I just saw this article on ESPNw and see that Hamby expressed some angst about...??

"In June, the Aces announced the had signed Hamby to a two-year contract extension. But there were signs that something might be amiss this week when Hamby -- who during the Aces' victory parade announced she is pregnant -- tweeted, "Imagine expressing your fears as a woman and being pregnant in this profession/world.... Then to be reassured that you were supported.. and your back was "had".... only to then be used against you.""

Last edited:
Reaction Score
well thankfully the qb is gone, had enough of him and his excuses. Idk how good they'll be with Brady, but you can't deny his energy will bring new levels of confidence to a team who already has a #1 rb #1 wr in the game.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Matthew Walter of "The Next" gives input into how this Hamby-??? (Zahui B) trade impacts the Aces' salary cap.

"The Aces went into this offseason with very limited cap space because they had signed all of their core players to extensions during the 2022 season. This included Hamby, who signed a two-year extension through 2024 in June. In trading Hamby, the Aces open up $169,000 in cap space for this offseason. This gives them $307,804 in total to work with to sign three to four free agents."

Reaction Score
As a Ace fan, sad to see Hamby go.

Sorry arse franchise, doesn't matter if they bring in Tom Brady or not. They could bring in Wayne Brady...Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett... wouldn't matter.
Think they have already had a couple of WAYNE Brady types

Reaction Score
I think the Aces trade was a good one for both organizations. I'm sad to see Hamby go but it's clear that the Aces are trying to go back to back and the uncertainty with Hamby sort of threw a wrench in their plans.

Potentially waiting for her to get back or hopinh that she's in decent enough shape to continue with a organization with such high expectations this season. It isn't ideal for the team which lacked depth already and is also unfair to Hamby with the pressure to get back in such a short time with this pressure.

The lack of cap space and the lack of quality depth meant something had to give and she unfortunately made the most sense for a trade of the starters. AZB is another veteran big that could either relieve A'ja or play along side her at a cheaper price. Depending on how much they pay her they could either get a few players at or around the minimum salary or they can add another solid piece plus another cheap player.

On the other side LA gets Hamby plus a future first round pick. A couple of decent off-season moves and LA could really have a squad to look out for.

* Oh, I just saw Dearica statement and yeah the Vegas front office have some explaining to do if true.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
* Oh, I just saw Dearica statement and yeah the Vegas front office have some explaining to do if true.
And here is the entirety of Ms. Hamby's statement. Whew...Aces better respond to this in as straightforward a manner as possible or I'm hoping ND alum Jackie Young can get out of there, too.

https://www./wnba/las-vegas-aces/de...as-aces-bullying-manipulation-discrimination/

Reaction Score
Terrible. I hope some players speak up about this, this is disgusting. And sounds illegal.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
From Dearica Hamby:

“To be treated this way by an organization, BY WOMEN who are mothers, who have claimed to ‘be in these shoes,’ who preach family, chemistry, and women’s empowerment is disappointing and leaves me sick to my stomach. We fought for provisions [in the WNBA’s collective bargaining agreement (CBA)] that would finally support and protect player parents,” Hamby wrote.

While Hamby sharply criticized the Aces organization in her post, she thanked her teammates, the fans and the city of Las Vegas. “The love for me, my daughter, my family, and even my unborn has not gone unnoticed or unappreciated,” she wrote. “I gave everything I had, and up until the disgusting comments that were made to me, I fought to stay here and tried to be amicable.”

Hmm....I'm guessing Hamby is referring to Nikki Caldwell and Nalalie Williams., who are now on the clock to do some explainin'

Say what you want about Bill Laimbeer, but I don't think he'd pull this move on his players...

Reaction Score
From Dearica Hamby:

“To be treated this way by an organization, BY WOMEN who are mothers, who have claimed to ‘be in these shoes,’ who preach family, chemistry, and women’s empowerment is disappointing and leaves me sick to my stomach. We fought for provisions [in the WNBA’s collective bargaining agreement (CBA)] that would finally support and protect player parents,” Hamby wrote.

While Hamby sharply criticized the Aces organization in her post, she thanked her teammates, the fans and the city of Las Vegas. “The love for me, my daughter, my family, and even my unborn has not gone unnoticed or unappreciated,” she wrote. “I gave everything I had, and up until the disgusting comments that were made to me, I fought to stay here and tried to be amicable.”

Hmm....I'm guessing Hamby is referring to Nikki Caldwell and Nalalie Williams., who are now on the clock to do some explainin'

Say what you want about Bill Laimbeer, but I don't think he'd pull this move on his players...
And Hammon.

Reaction Score
As a Ace fan, sad to see Hamby go.

Sorry arse franchise, doesn't matter if they bring in Tom Brady or not. They could bring in Wayne Brady...Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett... wouldn't matter.
could be worse, we coulda given an 8 year deal to a college coach and fire him after 3 seasons.

Reaction Score
could be worse, we coulda given an 8 year deal to a college coach and fire him after 3 seasons.
Ummmmm didn't Gruden have a 10 year contract and get fired? Haven't heard any updates on the lawsuit lately.

Reaction Score
If this is, indeed, a move made to free up cap space in order to find a replacement for the player who created the need -- because of pregnancy -- then that's draconian. It's also a policy that should change in the WNBA. If a player is pregnant, why should that count against the cap for that year? Yes, I know the Aces are up against the cap, but -- holy crow -- this has been one of the key drivers of the team.

I just saw this article on ESPNw and see that Hamby expressed some angst about...??

"In June, the Aces announced the had signed Hamby to a two-year contract extension. But there were signs that something might be amiss this week when Hamby -- who during the Aces' victory parade announced she is pregnant -- tweeted, "Imagine expressing your fears as a woman and being pregnant in this profession/world.... Then to be reassured that you were supported.. and your back was "had".... only to then be used against you.""

Draconian yes, however this is commonplace still in this day and age. I've read articles about Canadian female athletes who lost their funding while pregnant as it was classified as an "injury". It's unfortunate too as female professional athletes take a risk in delaying having children, if they want to bear the child, to be able to compete.

Here's a link to a recent article about a professional soccer player who had to sue her club for discrimination. For as much as there is talk about equality for women, the action doesn't show up as much as we'd like to believe.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Legally? She’s got nothing.

As a union grievance? We’ll see.
Points taken, but here's where people think this move could swing back at the Aces:

(From Richard Cohen of Her Hoops Stats):

"Maybe the Aces simply felt that their roster situation meant they had to make a move and that this was a business decision. The problem with that is that reputation means a lot in this league. It's a very small community where everyone talks to everyone, and secrets don't stay secret for very long. If you treat players well, or treat them poorly, that information travels through the player base (and their agents) like wildfire.

"...they've traded someone away who's well-liked around the league and clearly didn't appreciate being moved, or her treatment around that move. That could make it significantly more difficult to get players and agents to trust them in the future."

Stay tuned.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So...players get to demand a trade whenever they want and force lopsided deals for their former team (JJ is just the latest of many), but if a player gets traded who didn't want to be then there is hell to pay? Just checking.

Reaction Score
So...players get to demand a trade whenever they want and force lopsided deals for their former team (JJ is just the latest of many), but if a player gets traded who didn't want to be then there is hell to pay? Just checking.

You're not even stating the full situation. What is being questioned is what Hamby is claiming, which is her pregnancy is being used against her when Vegas said it wasn't a problem.

Hell to pay? No. Some ethical questions about what was communicated and understood, yes. Why shouldn't it be investigated to make sure Vegas followed protocol?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
You're not even stating the full situation. What is being questioned is what Hamby is claiming, which is her pregnancy is being used against her when Vegas said it wasn't a problem.

Hell to pay? No. Some ethical questions about what was communicated and understood, yes. Why shouldn't it be investigated to make sure Vegas followed protocol?
I've followed the thread, I'm aware of Hamby's pregnancy and her tweets. I was responding to this:

"...they've traded someone away who's well-liked around the league and clearly didn't appreciate being moved, or her treatment around that move. That could make it significantly more difficult to get players and agents to trust them in the future."
Seems like it should be a two way street. But as has been proven repeatedly, organizations can't necessarily trust players or their agents. But that is a tangent to what's happening with Hamby.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom