2023 WNBA Free Agency | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2023 WNBA Free Agency

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Next: Alysha Clark To Sign with Las Vegas Aces

Will be interesting to see how Aces squeeze both her and Candace Parker into some $300,000 (smaller salaries? Cut a vet?), but outside of that, signing is smart and strategic: get a defense-oriented vet (in latter stage of career who wants to win) and have her spell players like Jackie Young. Aces priming the pump.

https://www./features/alysha-clark-expected-to-sign-with-the-las-vegas-aces-in-free-agency/

Dillon77

Reaction Score
rumor has Stewie is down to Seattle and New York
Scrolled across my television screen in all kinds of sports broadcasts yesterday p.m.
With Vegas' adding Parker and Clark, I'd have to think Stewie would want to go where she's have a serious chance at keeping pace. At this point, that looks like the Liberty, unless the Storm have a plan to add more players around Stewie and Jewell Loyd. Stay tuned.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Hmm. Parker blended her talents with what was already in place with the Sky to help them win a Championship, then have a really good regular season record the next year. She's definitely gonna have to do a lot of blending in Vegas. Probably even more so. She's definitely gonna have to fully embrace being a complimentary player and not a focal point of the offense.
Have to wonder if Parker and Wilson egos can coexist.

Reaction Score
Have to wonder if Parker and Wilson egos can coexist.
I'd say they can given where each is in their career. For all of Parker's faults, she doesn't seem to be craving the alpha role at this stage in her career. Aja hasn't ever really come across as being a diva IMO. If Aja can get Gray, Plum, Young on the same page with her then adding a 37 year old forward in the last season or 2 of her career probably won't be an issue.

Reaction Score
I'd say they can given where each is in their career. For all of Parker's faults, she doesn't seem to be craving the alpha role at this stage in her career. Aja hasn't ever really come across as being a diva IMO. If Aja can get Gray, Plum, Young on the same page with her then adding a 37 year old forward in the last season or 2 of her career probably won't be an issue.
Co-sign to all of this.

I’ve watched A’ja since her freshman year at SC and she’s never displayed any “diva” antics.

Parker is past her prime, but still a pretty good player. I don’t think she will have trouble coexisting with any members of the Aces. Her problems in the past centered on feeling like she had to take on a heavy load with her teams and the burden that comes along with that. She didn’t have those issues with her title runs in LA and Chicago, so I don’t foresee it being an issue with this roster either.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The Next: Alysha Clark To Sign with Las Vegas Aces

Will be interesting to see how Aces squeeze both her and Candace Parker into some $300,000 (smaller salaries? Cut a vet?), but outside of that, signing is smart and strategic: get a defense-oriented vet (in latter stage of career who wants to win) and have her spell players like Jackie Young. Aces priming the pump.

https://www./features/alysha-clark-expected-to-sign-with-the-las-vegas-aces-in-free-agency/
Cool! I'm a big fan of Clark from her time with the Storm. Gives me another reason to like the Aces (Plum is all the reason I need, but I've grown to like the other players as well).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Courtney has said goodbye to Chicago, wonder if she goes to Seattle and stays with Stewart
Best player in the Sky's franchise history. Stuck it out while the assumed franchise players refused to play and demanded trades. Sloot was a consistent presence on the court for the Sky for over a decade and was able to get a title after enduring some rough seasons.

Her finalists are the Minnesota Lynx, Seattle Storm and New York Liberty. Guessing she goes wherever Stewart does considering Stewart is apparently deciding between Seattle/New York. I kind of hope they both choose New York and we get a NY vs Vegas show down next year, as both teams will be almost unfairly stacked.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Courtney has said goodbye to Chicago, wonder if she goes to Seattle and stays with Stewart
Or goes to Brooklyn to play with Stewie? Or heads to Minnesota? Here's a story on it:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
So, with 'Sloot announcing she's headed out of Chitown, I went to the Sky website and saw there's only five players listed on the roster. Interestingly, two of them are point guards: Julie Allemand and Dana Evans (although Evans could very much be thought of as a "shoot first" PG). Is this "good enough" for James Wade? With Allemand it might be if Emma Meesemann re-signs.

Or, consider this: let's say Wade wants some veterans on his team. Possible trade with the Mercury to get Skylar Diggins-Smith to Chicago, which is only a (long) stone's throw from Skylar's hometown of South Bend, Indiana? Or does he bite the bullet, go with what he has and build around these two point guards and Copper at small forward. (BTW, Ruthy Hebard is still there.)

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score

So, the Wings will have McCowan, Howard, Charli Collier, Bella Alarie and Awak Kuier up front, with Veronica Burton at PG and Arike Ogunbowale and Jasmine Dickey at the off guard. Do they (re) sign Marina Mabrey as a restricted free agent? If so, she could spell Burton at point guard, when she's not playing wing. Or if the Wings decide to go big with Sabally at the 3, do they not sign Mabrey and ink Crystal Dangerfield?

Or, maybe gets more $$$ from other franchises and Dallas chooses not to sign her? Look for a team that doesn't sign 'Sloot to look at "distribute first" point guards like Dangerfield, Moriah Jefferson or Jordin Canada, while some teams who need an all-round guard like Mabrey could be interested (Seattle, Chicago).

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Looks like Katie Lou Samuelson has a familiar face (at a similar position) again:

12:02 p.m. ET: Forward Stephanie Talbot has signed a two-year deal with the Los Angeles Sparks. Talbot, who played for the Seattle Storm last season, shot 39.7% from 3-point range in 2022, which ranked 10th in the league. (via ESPNw)

https://www./features/los-angeles-sparks-signing-stephanie-talbot/

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Would be nice if she could return to the Mystics. They could use her shooting.
Apparently, the Mystics and Tolliver agree with you! ;)

1:18 p.m. ET: Kristi Toliver announces via a social media post that she's returning to the Washington Mystics. Toliver spent the past two seasons with the Los Angeles Sparks, but played for the Mystics for three seasons, including Washington's 2019 WNBA title run.
(via ESPNW)

Reaction Score
Would be nice if she could return to the Mystics. They could use her shooting.
Ummmmmmm.........................https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/02/01/washington-mystics-kristi-toliver/;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom