2023 WNBA Free Agency | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2023 WNBA Free Agency

Reaction Score
1673825545715.jpeg

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
NY getting the post player it needs! Love to see it! Just don't include Laney in the trade, and we'll be fine. lol

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Kevin Pelton of ESPNw weighs in with his analysis of the trade(s) and what each team gets out of it.

A few thoughts from my perspective:

For the Liberty:
  • From what I've read, the Liberty could still go after Stewie. Will this make NYC more/less an interesting destination for her? As much as Stewie knew Howard, Jones is younger and equally adept offensively and defensively, inside and out.
  • Thornton is tough. She and Laney could play linebacker in the offseason.
  • Do they find a point guard to keep Ionescu off ball?

For the Sun:
  • They'd better core Brionna Jones. This was brought up by one pre-season pundit in her predictions (Athletic?) and it made some sense.
  • Tyasha Harris was one of many Wings PG's to be yin-yanged, so can't really say what she'll do with extended opportunities. Still, she's got length and talent.
  • Will Rebecca Allen blossom?

For Wings:
  • Defense-minded coach is already showing influence getting Howard and keeping Valerie Burton as point guard to play defense.
  • Now, what decisions are made with the whole slew of others posts/forwards (Big T, Harrison, Charlie Collier, Bella Alarie). I could see both Harrison and Big T walking and keeping Collier to back up Sabally, who is injury-prone. If Alarie comes back, she could be a back-up for Howard on defense.
  • Guard/wing questions: what happens with Mabrey/Gray?

Reaction Score
To be honest I'm not sure any of Walker/ONO/Smith make a final roster. Is Connecticut just trying to offload Jasmine Thomas's salary?
That's sort of my thought. That seems like a lot to give up for the Sun to get those 3 in return. White seems to be wanting to remake this team.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
That's sort of my thought. That seems like a lot to give up for the Sun to get those 3 in return. White seems to be wanting to remake this team.
I'm with you and @bballnut90 on the overall reasoning. However, I'm not sure Steph White is the primary architect of all this. Jen Rizzotti hinted roster changes were possibly forthcoming in the last few months. Plus, she hired Darius Taylor from the Atlanta Dream to be her general manager. I'm sure White -- who was commentating the Ga. Tech-Duke broadcast yesterday -- has input here, but it's just not her.

BTW, this tells me that Tyasha Harris will most certainly be given a shot to run the point for the Sun...

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
It was reported that JJ requested a trade to NY. It seems like when these players want out they get what they want in the WNBA. It appears to be a much better deal for NY than anyone else.

Reaction Score
ONO should absolutely be on the final roster. She played well for LA once Liz left and many Sparks fans I know were bummed to be losing her because of her toughness on the boards and size. Connecticut was likely not going to win anything with the players in place and Thomas is 33 coming off an ACL injury. Not to mention, there appears to be some disconnect between some of the players that were shipped off.

Reaction Score
I'm with you and @bballnut90 on the overall reasoning. However, I'm not sure Steph White is the primary architect of all this. Jen Rizzotti hinted roster changes were possibly forthcoming in the last few months. Plus, she hired Darious Taylor from the Atlanta Dream to be her general manager. I'm sure White -- who was commentating the Ga. Tech-Duke broadcast yesterday -- has input here, but it's just not her.

BTW, this tells me that Tyasha Harris will most certainly be given a shot to run the point for the Sun...
I agreed. I forgot Taylor was hired as GM. I posted back earlier the Sun just seemed to be missing something to put them over the edge. I really didn't see Miller leaving but figured some retooling would happen. Still, that doesn't seem like much in return for a veteran PG, even one coming off an injury.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Without Jonquel Jones, Liv constitutes just about the only real size that the Sun will have in 2023, so she will make the final roster. @bballnut90 , who do you see in the Sun's front court (6-4 or above) if they part ways with Liv?

And I think her play in LA last year (which was much better than any of the pundits expected) also speaks in her favor.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Without Jonquel Jones, Liv constitutes just about the only real size that the Sun will have in 2023, so she will make the final roster. @bballnut90 , who do you see in the Sun's front court (6-4 or above) if they part ways with Liv?

And I think her play in LA last year (which was much better than any of the pundits expected) also speaks in her favor.
That's fair--given the roster makeup and trade, she probably does make the roster. Generally speaking I see her as a backup/toward the bottom of the depth chart player on most rosters. I think there's a good chance Walker/Smith don't make the final roster, where Jasmine Thomas is a seasoned PG and veteran who is also an elite defender. Connecticut should be fine with Hiedeman but I think in terms of trade value, Thomas is worth more than a couple of end of bench players, so I LA as winning this trade.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last I saw, Hiedeman and Thomas were partners. So I wouldn’t be surprised if she moved on as well.

Reaction Score
Last I saw, Hiedeman and Thomas were partners. So I wouldn’t be surprised if she moved on as well.
Not anymore......
Liv better pray she makes the roster i would not be shocked if she did not either.

Reaction Score
It was reported that JJ requested a trade to NY. It seems like when these players want out they get what they want in the WNBA. It appears to be a much better deal for NY than anyone else.
If Stewie decides to go home, New York would be one of the favorites for a championship. JJ and Stewie have played together in Russia, so should be a seem less transition. And having Dolson who is a good passer and can hit the 3, team would be good offensively and defensively.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
While I understand CT’s need to clear cap space and its desire to honor Jonquel Jones’ trade request, I am not sure how pairing Alyssa Thomas and Brionna Jones in the frontcourt meshes with the Rizzotti’s /White’s stated desire to play at a faster pace and shoot more threes.

Having Rebecca Allen will help, but neither Thomas nor Jones is a threat from distance – or even outside the paint. Courtney Williams had one year where she was a consistent threat from three (2021, with Atlanta), but she is a player who mostly settles for long twos with inconsistent efficiency at this stage.

Given Jonquel Jones is a former MVP and still in her basketball prime, the haul for trading Jones and Jasmine Thomas was the #6 pick, Rebecca Allen, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Jasmine Walker, and the rights to Kianna Smith.

And the fact the Liberty also acquired Kayla Thornton instead of the Sun shows how lopsided the Jones trade was.

Reaction Score
From M.A. vopel

Sources tell ESPN that an agreement is in place for guard Allisha Gray to be traded to @AtlantaDream from @DallasWings. Details being finalized. @Graytness_15 was 2017 @WNBA rookie of year out of @GamecockWBB and was 3x3 Olympic gold medalist in 2021.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
From M.A. vopel

Sources tell ESPN that an agreement is in place for guard Allisha Gray to be traded to @AtlantaDream from @DallasWings. Details being finalized. @Graytness_15 was 2017 @WNBA rookie of year out of @GamecockWBB and was 3x3 Olympic gold medalist in 2021.
Here's Voepel's article:

So, Gray and Harris are out of the equation in the Wings' backcourt. Three thoughts come to mind:
  • Veronica Burton is probably slated to start, given Latricia Trammel's preference for defense. Will Crystal Dangerfield sign/be signed?
  • It Dallas resigns Marina Mabrey, Mabrey can revert to the wing role which would allow her to do what she does best -- score.
  • How many draft choices will the Wings get for Gray? The #3, for sure. Maybe the #8, too? I'm guessing they'll snare whoever is not chosen by Minnesota: Haley Jones or Diamond Miller. I can see Miller complementing "Marike";s primarily outside attack.
  • Dallas still has a lot of tall people signed. With Howard aboard, seemingly paired with Satou Sabally, what do they do with Izzy Harrison (another player that wanted out at the end of last year), Teaira McCowan (another restricted free agent), Charli Collier, Awak Kuier and Bella Alarie. Expect some action on this front, as well.

Reaction Score
Kevin Pelton of ESPNw weighs in with his analysis of the trade(s) and what each team gets out of it.

A few thoughts from my perspective:

For the Liberty:
  • From what I've read, the Liberty could still go after Stewie. Will this make NYC more/less an interesting destination for her? As much as Stewie knew Howard, Jones is younger and equally adept offensively and defensively, inside and out.
  • Thornton is tough. She and Laney could play linebacker in the offseason.
  • Do they find a point guard to keep Ionescu off ball?

For the Sun:
  • They'd better core Brionna Jones. This was brought up by one pre-season pundit in her predictions (Athletic?) and it made some sense.
  • Tyasha Harris was one of many Wings PG's to be yin-yanged, so can't really say what she'll do with extended opportunities. Still, she's got length and talent.
  • Will Rebecca Allen blossom?

For Wings:
  • Defense-minded coach is already showing influence getting Howard and keeping Valerie Burton as point guard to play defense.
  • Now, what decisions are made with the whole slew of others posts/forwards (Big T, Harrison, Charlie Collier, Bella Alarie). I could see both Harrison and Big T walking and keeping Collier to back up Sabally, who is injury-prone. If Alarie comes back, she could be a back-up for Howard on defense.
  • Guard/wing questions: what happens with Mabrey/Gray?
Stewie in New York with Jones makes the Liberty amoung the top 2 teams if not the top. JJ and Stewie played together in Russia, if they can get Vandersloot for one year, who also played on that team, could be best team ever.
Good depth, and most of stars in their primes.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Stewie in New York with Jones makes the Liberty amoung the top 2 teams if not the top. JJ and Stewie played together in Russia, if they can get Vandersloot for one year, who also played on that team, could be best team ever.
Good depth, and most of stars in their primes.
Not to mention Ionescu is there too. That roster would be insanely stacked and I actually could see all of them thriving together.

Reaction Score
Per Alexa P

BREAKING: Dearica Hamby — a champion with the Las Vegas Aces — has been traded to the Los Angeles Sparks.

Sparks get the Aces’ 2024 first rounder and send exclusive negotiating rights to Amanda Zahui B and their 2024 second round pick to Vegas

Reaction Score
Per Alexa P

BREAKING: Dearica Hamby — a champion with the Las Vegas Aces — has been traded to the Los Angeles Sparks.

Sparks get the Aces’ 2024 first rounder and send exclusive negotiating rights to Amanda Zahui B and their 2024 second round pick to Vegas

Confused by this. Really am.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom