2023 WNBA Free Agency | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2023 WNBA Free Agency

Reaction Score
I've followed the thread, I'm aware of Hamby's pregnancy and her tweets. I was responding to this:

Seems like it should be a two way street. But as has been proven repeatedly, organizations can't necessarily trust players or their agents. But that is a tangent to what's happening with Hamby.

1). Had you included Dillon77's quote, it would have helped with your reply.

2). If you're saying it's a two way street then shouldn't the same be said of the organizations? They're just as culpable when it comes to trust.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
2). If you're saying it's a two way street then shouldn't the same be said of the organizations? They're just as culpable when it comes to trust.
In the end I think most everyone looks out for their own best interest, be it an individual or an organization. Trust is nice, but it definitely gets set aside when it isn't convenient.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
could be worse, we coulda given an 8 year deal to a college coach and fire him after 3 seasons.

As opposed to given a 10 year deal to a washed up coach, only to have him resign in disgrace after a little over 3 years? As opposed to having a franchise that has no playoff wins in 20 years? As opposed to going through a stretch of 14 different head coaches in 25 years? That's much worse. Poverty Franchise.

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
In the end I think most everyone looks out for their own best interest, be it an individual or an organization. Trust is nice, but it definitely gets set aside when it isn't convenient.
That's fair however initial reply came across differentlty to me. I got the impression you believe that players were less trustworthy. I can't see how that could be possible.

Reaction Score
Legally? She’s got nothing.

As a union grievance? We’ll see.
Legally she has a pretty strong case as it’s not the trading that’s the issue but the harassment. Women, specifically pregnant women, are a protected class in employment laws.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That's fair however initial reply came across differentlty to me. I got the impression you believe that players were less trustworthy. I can't see how that could be possible.
Okay, didn't mean it that way. Just that organizations shouldn't be held to some different standard than the players apply to themselves.

Reaction Score
Okay, didn't mean it that way. Just that organizations shouldn't be held to some different standard than the players apply to themselves.
I don’t think anyone was saying they do. But when you get a reputation for harassing and discriminating against a pregnant player, you’ll get a reputation that will sink you. Similarly players who get reputations for being difficult to coach or play won’t get picked up by organizations in the future.

Reaction Score
Legally she has a pretty strong case as it’s not the trading that’s the issue but the harassment. Women, specifically pregnant women, are a protected class in employment laws.
Women discriminating against pregnant women? Protected class discriminating against a protected class? have seen no facts that indicate “harassment.”

It’s management vs labor.

Reaction Score
Women discriminating against pregnant women? Protected class discriminating against a protected class? have seen no facts that indicate “harassment.”

It’s management vs labor.
Is this a joke? Yes women can be sued for discriminating against other women. The laws aren’t about who is doing the discriminating it’s about who is discriminated again. If the allegations are true, Danica definitely has a case imo. It’s employment law 101z

Reaction Score
Is this a joke? Yes women can be sued for discriminating against other women. The laws aren’t about who is doing the discriminating it’s about who is discriminated again. If the allegations are true, Danica definitely has a case imo. It’s employment law 101z
Yes. Employment. Law 191. Not civil rights law 101.

Reaction Score
As opposed to given a 10 year deal to a washed up coach, only to have him resign in disgrace after a little over 3 years? As opposed to having a franchise that has no playoff wins in 20 years? As opposed to going through a stretch of 14 different head coaches in 25 years? That's much worse. Poverty Franchise.

giphy.gif
remind me where is your super bowl? oops

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Vegas is locked and loaded. Starting 5 of Parker, Wilson, Young, Plum and Gray has to be among the best ever. 4 #1 draft picks plus Chelsea Gray. Anything less than a championship would be a major let down for this team.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hmm. Parker blended her talents with what was already in place with the Sky to help them win a Championship, then have a really good regular season record the next year. She's definitely gonna have to do a lot of blending in Vegas. Probably even more so. She's definitely gonna have to fully embrace being a complimentary player and not a focal point of the offense.

Reaction Score
The Las Vegas Aces just gotten tougher! Super team status at this point

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, as a few of us discussed when the Hamby trade was made, Amanda Zahui B. sure didn't look like the endgame.
Bingo. Going to assume this signing took up most of the money saved. Will the Aces attempt to sign Zahui B.? Or go in another direction for backing up Wilson and Parker? Stay tuned.

On the Chicago side of things, this could free up funds to keep 'Sloot in Chitown.

Well, first domino in free agency has tipped (I've been wondering when we'd hear something). Next one to fall?:confused:

https://www./news/candace-parker-chooses-las-vegas-aces-wnba-free-agency/

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Hmm. Parker blended her talents with what was already in place with the Sky to help them win a Championship, then have a really good regular season record the next year. She's definitely gonna have to do a lot of blending in Vegas. Probably even more so. She's definitely gonna have to fully embrace being a complimentary player and not a focal point of the offense.

I think she's a great fit. She's never been a selfish player or someone who needs to get a certain number of shots per game to be happy. She played extremely well with Gray in LA and has thrived playing in Chicago's system which didn't revolve around any one player. In terms of playing style, she prefers being on the perimeter more as she's gotten older, and I think that compliments Wilson perfectly who is best playing in the post, but both are legitimate inside/out threats. Everyone in the starting 5 can knock down 3s, take opponents on the dribble, and most important, everyone is unselfish (Plum, Gray, Wilson and Parker all averaged between 4-6 assists per game).

If Stewie goes to NY we're going to have a couple of crazy loaded teams in the W this year with everyone else playing catch up.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Well, as a few of us discussed when the Hamby trade was made, Amanda Zahui B. sure didn't look like the endgame.
Bingo. Going to assume this signing took up most of the money saved. Will the Aces attempt to sign Zahui B.? Or go in another direction for backing up Wilson and Parker? Stay tuned.

On the Chicago side of things, this could free up funds to keep 'Sloot in Chitown.

Well, first domino in free agency has tipped (I've been wondering when we'd hear something). Next one to fall?:confused:

https://www./news/candace-parker-chooses-las-vegas-aces-wnba-free-agency/
Or this move means that Sloot is going to NY.

Beg Please GIF by Harlem

Reaction Score
I think she's a great fit. She's never been a selfish player or someone who needs to get a certain number of shots per game to be happy. She played extremely well with Gray in LA and has thrived playing in Chicago's system which didn't revolve around any one player. In terms of playing style, she prefers being on the perimeter more as she's gotten older, and I think that compliments Wilson perfectly who is best playing in the post, but both are legitimate inside/out threats. Everyone in the starting 5 can knock down 3s, take opponents on the dribble, and most important, everyone is unselfish (Plum, Gray, Wilson and Parker all averaged between 4-6 assists per game).

If Stewie goes to NY we're going to have a couple of crazy loaded teams in the W this year with everyone else playing catc
Stewie, JJ, Vandersloot, Ionescu, would also be a good team. Johannes, Laney, Dolson, and Thornton make it a pretty good team.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sloot, Ionescu and Johannes all on one team? Pretty much every game would be a highlight reel with the passes that trio would be dishing out.

Reaction Score
Sloot, Ionescu and Johannes all on one team? Pretty much every game would be a highlight reel with the passes that trio would be dishing out.
Especially when you have Stewie and JJ running fast breaks.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Stewie, JJ, Vandersloot, Ionescu, would also be a good team. Johannes, Laney, Dolson, and Thornton make it a pretty good team.
That would be nuts if it happens. I think the odds are lower that both Sloot/Stevie sign there, but who knows.

Reaction Score
If NY indeed gets Stewie and Sloot, the championship will be between those 2 teams (Vegas ad NY) and all others can tank to get in the Boston sweepstakes this season and Paige/Clarck next season...

Reaction Score
If NY indeed gets Stewie and Sloot, the championship will be between those 2 teams (Vegas ad NY) and all others can tank to get in the Boston sweepstakes this season and Paige/Clarck next season...
I like Seattle but for the 2nd time when a good coach left they went with an assistant who wasn't ready to coach a good team.
Quinn never should have been promoted to head coach, and they made things worse last year by adding, a coach who had been head coach at Indiana, and another with no experience.
Stewie needs to go to New York, whether you like Sandy or not, she is a winner. If Kia Nurse didn't get hurt in the last game of the Las Vegas series in 2021, Chicago very possibly doesn't win the championship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom