2023 WNBA Free Agency | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 WNBA Free Agency

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Damian Lillard
Uh oh, now you've gone a step too far. Dame has certainly won some games and even some playoff series for the Blazers during his career. He absolutely destroyed Westbrook and the Thunder in one memorable post season series.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Aces have little monetary means to add any quality depth. what they might have, however, is the possibility of a "chasing the ring" discount from a solid veteran willing to take a year of way below production pay to be with a championship contender. This happens all the time with nearing the end of their career veterans in the NBA. Sometimes it almost seems unfair because the contenders can get way more quality with their minimum contracts than lessor teams, or less attractive destinations.
Good point. Anybody come to mind from your perspective?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Continuing The Next series of free agency previews, here's the one on the Connecticut Sun:

https://www./features/2023-wnba-free-agency-preview-connecticut-sun/

Reaction Score
Uh oh, now you've gone a step too far. Dame has certainly won some games and even some playoff series for the Blazers during his career. He absolutely destroyed Westbrook and the Thunder in one memorable post season series.
They did reach the conference finals in 2019. So, better than Bradley Beal.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
They did reach the conference finals in 2019. So, better than Bradley Beal.
The thing w/ Lillard is he's always played for Portland. So there's no after he left comparison to be made, or how he effected another team. My money is on the Blazers would've been much, much worse without him.

Reaction Score
Good point. Anybody come to mind from your perspective?
A year ago I would have said Tina Charles, who seemed to fit one aspect of chasing the ring at Pheonix and Seattle, but it appeared she was not willing to accept a backup role on a very good team, or a minimum salary offer. A thirty something C on the back side of her career that could still be a quality backup and accept a minimum salary to chase the ring is the best bet. Kia Stokes was kind of like that kind of player, but I think she probably took more than the minimum but less than her market value last year. would she be willing to take just the minimum this year after getting a championship? I'm not so sure, but another vet C looking for that elusive championship might be.

Reaction Score
A year ago I would have said Tina Charles, who seemed to fit one aspect of chasing the ring at Pheonix and Seattle, but it appeared she was not willing to accept a backup role on a very good team, or a minimum salary offer. A thirty something C on the back side of her career that could still be a quality backup and accept a minimum salary to chase the ring is the best bet. Kia Stokes was kind of like that kind of player, but I think she probably took more than the minimum but less than her market value last year. would she be willing to take just the minimum this year after getting a championship? I'm not so sure, but another vet C looking for that elusive championship might be.

I'm not disagreeing............. She donates her salary to Hopey Heart's Foundation. Maybe that's why??

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The Next now weighs in on The Atlanta Dream. This opening paragraph+ pretty much sets it up:

- "The only contracts on the books for the Dream are their four rookie contracts, Rhyne Howard, Naz Hillmon, Aari McDonald and Kristy Wallace and veteran forward Cheyenne Parker. Otherwise, the rest of last year’s roster is up for grabs.
... The most notable of these players is Tiffany Hayes, who has played her entire ten-year career with the Dream."

https://www./features/2023-wnba-free-agency-preview-atlanta-dream/

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Agree on this. Charles is in a tough predicament since I think she understandably wants to win a title while being a big contributor as well. Problem is, I don't see options for her to accomplish this in her current situation. Taking a lesser role could get her to a title but it probably isn't fulfilling in the way she envisioned or hoped for.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
And now The Next Moves onto Dallas to take on the Wings. Here's a bit of a cut-and-paste to give those inclined an idea of the attached article:

"The plan for president and CEO Greg Bibb the past few seasons was to aggregate picks and build a championship contending roster through the draft. He has done that and new head coach Latricia Trammell has a lot pieces work with. All she has to do is have a plan that will maximize the team’s talent.

"According to the Dallas Wings salary cap sheet from Her Hoop Stats forward Isabelle Harrison is the only unrestricted free agent (UFA). Guard Marina Mabrey and Center Teaira McCowan are restricted free agents. Both Harrison and Mabrey could be lost in free agency. McCowan was acquired last season and is expected to return in a Wings uniform for 2023."

https://www./wnba/2023-wnba-free-agency-preview-dallas-wings/

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Phoenix Mercury review. Some elevator points:

Full article linked below.

https://www./wnba/phoenix-mercury-2023-free-agency-outlook/

Reaction Score

For Phoenix to be competitive, I think Taurasi has to take a drastic paycut so they can upgrade their bench. I would imagine Cunningham is a guarantee to come back and I think Gustafson should be brought back as well.

Peddy is rehabbing and Diggins-Smith is having a baby, so I wonder how they will address ball handing responsibilities. I would imagine Nurse could be a priority to help out here.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Phoenix is in a tough spot. I wouldn't expect SDS to come back for Phoenix this year considering how last year ended, Nygaard is still there, and she's pregnant (she sat out all of 2019 after giving birth in preseason). If they're without her, the rest of the lineup just isn't all that promising:

Griner hasn't played in 1.5 years, but I could see her returning to form which gives them an elite center. Taurasi is good but not an elite player anymore. She takes a lot of shots at a low clip and isn't a good defender. Deshields is athletic and talented but also shoots at a low percentage which isn't good for a potential go to player. Turner is a strong defender but gives you nothing offensively. Cunningham/Peddy were quite good last year stepping up in the chaos, they'll help a lot coming back. It's not the worst roster in the league but it's mediocre without SDS. It's going to be hard to win a lot of games relying heavily on BG unless Deshields/Taurasi can make the jump to become more efficient scorers.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
And now for The Next's review of the Los Angeles Sparks' situation. Here are three paragraphs I cherry-picked from the attached article to give an exec. summary of shorts.

"Free agency is going to be critical to how the Sparks want to build this team and, ultimately, how the 2023 season plays out. The team does not have their first-round pick as a result of the Chennedy Carter trade last off-season. They do have a second-round and a third-round pick, but it’s become increasingly difficult for players drafted in later rounds to make a final roster due to salary and roster restraints. Therefore, free agency is the Sparks’ best hope at turning things around immediately.

"Fortunately for them, they are working with the most cap space in the league. As of right now, there are only five players under contract next season: Chennedy Carter, Katie Lou Samuelson, Jasmine Walker, Rae Burrell and Olivia Nelson-Ododa, with the latter three having non-guaranteed contracts as per Her Hoop Stats.

"Kianna Smith is a reserved free agent meaning that she can only negotiate a new deal with the Sparks unless they release her outright. Nneka and Chiney Ogwumike, Brittney Sykes, Kristi Toliver, Jordin Canada and Lexie Brown are all unrestricted free agents, free to sign elsewhere."

https://www./wnba/los-angeles-sparks/2023-wnba-free-agency-preview-los-angeles-sparks/

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Well, Today -- Jan. 11th -- is the first day teams can start discussions with their own free agents. Contacts with "outsiders" hits January 21st. With that in mind, ESPNw and The Athletic weigh in with some key storylines and predictions.
While both articles cover many of the same topics (Where will Stewie end up? What team will have the most changes? Surprises, etc.), The Athletic comes up with some interesting predictions (Skylar Diggins-Smith traded, probably to Minnesota; Connecticut Sun decide the Jones saga, but trading Jonquel to keep Brionna; 'Sloot to Seatte.) Who knows if half of them will come true, but it's a fun read.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
And, for the last of the WNBA team previews of The Next, here is the Seattle Storm, which does not -- frankly -- say that much beyond Stewie's decision and a possible arrival of Courtney Vandersloot.

Here's one paragraph from the article:

"Currently, Jewel Loyd and Mercedes Russell are the only Storm players under contract, so almost every other player on the roster is a question mark. Reserves Epiphanny Prince, Stephanie Talbot and Tina Charles are unrestricted free agents, allowing them to discuss terms and sign contracts with any team. Gabby Williams is a restricted free agent this season, but her overseas commitments could impede her return to Seattle."

https://www./wnba/seattle-storm/2023-wnba-free-agency-preview-seattle-storm/

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
LINK: 10 Players to Watch: WNBA Free Agency 2023 - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

Key Dates to Know
  • January 11-20: All qualifying offers and core player designations delivered
  • January 21: 2023 Player Negotiating period begins
  • February 1: Player Contracts may be signed

Key Terms to Know
  • UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: Players with five or more years of service will become Unrestricted Free Agents. An Unrestricted Free Agent can sign with any team, provided they are not designated as a Core Player by their prior team. Any players with fewer than five years of service who do not receive Qualifying Offers will also become Unrestricted Free Agents.

• RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: Players with four years of service can receive Qualifying Offers to become Restricted Free Agents. The restricted free agency gives the player’s prior team the right to sign the player by matching a contract offer from another team (Right of First Refusal). If the player signs an Offer Sheet with another team, the player’s prior team has four days from the date it receives the Offer Sheet to determine whether it wishes to match. The player will remain with their prior team if the offer is matched. Suppose the offer is not reached within the four-day period. In that case, the player will be under contract with the offering team.

• RESERVED PLAYERS: Players with three or fewer years of service can receive Qualifying Offers to become Reserved Players. The Reserved Player’s prior team has exclusive negotiating rights.

• CORE PLAYERS: The Core designation gives a team exclusive negotiating rights with a player. Since 2022, a player is not eligible to be given a Core designation if they have played pursuant to a Core player contract for two or more seasons.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Curious who else might be involved in the trade. If NY is bringing in J. Jones, might mean parting with Howard.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, NY looks to come out much better than the other 2 teams on that deal. Dallas continues the revolving door policy with PGs. I hope JJ likes the pick and roll.

Reaction Score
Word on the street is Jonquel wanted out :confused: As we've seen with W trade, when a star wants out there's not much upper management can do :oops:

Numbers wise, there's a possibility Stewart can still sign with the Liberty and with their myriad of skills, she and JJ can fit together on a team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom