2023-24 LSU Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2023-24 LSU Thread

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I recently read somewhere that Louisiana and California passed laws allowing schools to offer money upfront to entice players to come to that school. I don't know the details, and maybe I read it wrong, but if true that is a severe advantage to schools in those states. True or not, Congress or the NCAA has to come up with a plan that makes recruiting equal for all schools, and money won't make a difference in the recruiting process. They should get money based on their own accomplishments at that school, not before they enter.

Reaction Score
The NIL rumor seemed to start with an unverified story about LSU starting a profit sharing scheme for WBB branded merch sold through the campus store that might yield ~$20k per student. My, how the figure has grown.

Reaction Score
The NIL rumor seemed to start with an unverified story about LSU starting a profit sharing scheme for WBB branded merch sold through the campus store that might yield ~$20k per student. My, how the figure has grown.

Haven't other programs done something similar? That dollar amount range doesn't sound insane.

Another thing to consider with these high value NIL deals being claimed to exist, there's no guarantee they'll be paid the full amount. There are examples of several NIL deals going sideways, like Michigan State's football NIL program or Azzi Fudd's BioSteel deal possibly going belly up due to BioSteel going into bankruptcy protection.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch but what was up with Hailey Van Lith? I saw she only scored
Someone could answer better than I can probably but she only took 3 shots, she seemed to look to pass more than attempt to score.

She seems like she really is trying as hard as she can to get better a PG. I actually think her passing (assist to TO) will be way better this year. Down the road lsu will need her scoring though. Her D is still pretty rough… granted it’s not good for the entire Lsu team. The lack of chemistry shows early.

Morrow looked much more comfortable off the bench.

Reaction Score
After the loss, I expected LSU to come out more "focused" and maybe with a little humility. I didn't think I would see them flexing and standing over a player, one significantly smaller and less skilled, after a blocked shot. Playing to the crowd I get. Humiliating any opponent Is a bit much for my taste. Williams is AA caliber. I knew Van Lith wasn't the best defender, but she's worse than I thought. Good thing they have shot blockers behind her.

Reaction Score
After the loss, I expected LSU to come out more "focused" and maybe with a little humility. I didn't think I would see them flexing and standing over a player, one significantly smaller and less skilled, after a blocked shot. Playing to the crowd I get. Humiliating any opponent Is a bit much for my taste. Williams is AA caliber. I knew Van Lith wasn't the best defender, but she's worse than I thought. Good thing they have shot blockers behind her.
LSU picking up where it left off last season. I don't remember Kim's Baylor teams doing stuff like this.

Reaction Score
LSU picking up where it left off last season. I don't remember Kim's Baylor teams doing stuff like this.
The Angel Reese effect…

Reese is a good player but i think things eventually tame down once she leaves. I don’t think it will be a bad thing for LSUs program because like you mentioned I don’t recall mulkey teams ever being like this until reese joined LSU. Kim’s first team at lsu didn’t do it either. There’s a fine line between excitement and standing over a player. You can celebrate show passion while not directing it at the opposing team

Reaction Score
Haven't other programs done something similar? That dollar amount range doesn't sound insane.

Another thing to consider with these high value NIL deals being claimed to exist, there's no guarantee they'll be paid the full amount. There are examples of several NIL deals going sideways, like Michigan State's football NIL program or Azzi Fudd's BioSteel deal possibly going belly up due to BioSteel going into bankruptcy protection.
We openly pay $25,000 per player on that basis.

Lotta difference between 25K and 2.2 mil.

Reaction Score

That's what I thought and yes it's a huge difference. But separate from that, my point about some of these NIL deals come with a lot of strings or are vulnerable due to market conditions and/or bad business decisions. Regardless of its value, these deals sometimes fall apart.

Athletes need to understand the various risks of these deals, like the BioSteel bankruptcy situation or Michigan State's wonky plan for their football team losing it's largest backer. They can look good on paper and profitable for a while but it doesn't mean things can't change.

So if this alleged $2.2M deal "exists", there could be a lot of strings to it that make it more high risk than it's worth.

Reaction Score
I’m thinking we will need to get used to more top players holding off on committing, or for signing LOI’s until the late signing period to keep the NIL bidding open longer

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score

They may give a 5 star QB that kind of NIL money but I don't see it for a WBB player. The other stuff is way more than I heard their top football players get. The NIL money goes to the players that drive the money engine....and guess what....it's not WBB. This is just an "over the top" rumor. I imagine they are offering something but if you think the other players on the team won't get pissed about that ? Then you don't know how humans react to being overlooked....lol....

Reaction Score
They may give a 5 star QB that kind of NIL money but I don't see it for a WBB player. The other stuff is way more than I heard their top football players get. The NIL money goes to the players that drive the money engine....and guess what....it's not WBB. This is just an "over the top" rumor. I imagine they are offering something but if you think the other players on the team won't get pissed about that ? Then you don't know how humans react to being overlooked....lol....
Oh. I agree. I don’t believe the rumor

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I'm hearing the actual offer to Joyce was Kim's house, and a year of Kim's salary......so Dawn's counter offer better be good....

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

Reaction Score
I can’t believe I just watched Captain Will. I find his style do annoying.

He said that his source is. “An insider” but didn’t say whether it’s a )so called” insider for us or for LSU.

Oh well, let’s see what happens. I still fear Stanford more than LSU
It was a screenshot going around with what captain will read. I even saw the screenshot. It has nothing to do with him. Why would you call him annoying?

Reaction Score
It was a screenshot going around with what captain will read. I even saw the screenshot. It has nothing to do with him. Why would you call him annoying?
Captain Will also said we were definitely getting a visit from Sarah Strong so I'm not sure I really believe anything he says.

Reaction Score
I'm hearing the actual offer to Joyce was Kim's house, and a year of Kim's salary......so Dawn's counter offer better be good....

Happy Hour Drinking GIF
With LSU keeping Kim’s wardrobe in reserve to seal the deal….

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Rumor is she’s been suspended
Yes. Just looked in on the LSU fan page. Surprised to see a good number of LSU fans are really P.O’ed at Reese, considering that she lead them to the national championship last season.

Reaction Score
“LSU Basketball, brought to you by Orville Redenbacher”

Reaction Score
Yes. Just looked in on the LSU fan page. Surprised to see a good number of LSU fans are really P.O’ed at Reese, considering that she lead them to the national championship last season.

Mulkey is supposed to address it after the game. Guess we’ll have to wait and see

Reaction Score
Holy smokes. I guess we will hear more as the days progress. I am watching the game now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom