2023-24 LSU Thread | The Boneyard

2023-24 LSU Thread

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I thought I'd start a thread for America's favorite team and fan base!

I watched the first half of their 2nd exhibition highlights (can be viewed here):

Initial thoughts:

Their starting 5 is going to be extremely good. I don't think there's a more athletic team in the country than LSU going into this year. I know it's an exhibition game against an overmatched team but the shooting from Williams looks really promising. I think she's going to be a star. Just such a fluid athlete and her frame and strength will serve her well. Van Lith looked comfortable running the show and appears to be playing as more of a pass first PG than a volume shooter like she was at Louisville. Reese looked like Reese in the limited clips, though I didn't see any outside shot development. Missed several point blank layups which isn't uncommon for her. Flaujae looked great in this game. She's just an incredible athlete and has the tools to be a real star. Last year she started out hot and then struggled, I could see her blossoming this year and taking over a larger role, almost like a Jackie Young type of role for LSU. Still not sure how Morrow is going to fully fit in with this lineup but I think they'll find their rhythm.

The second group of players weren't nearly as effective as the first group. They seemed more oriented on feeding the bigs inside. Del Rosario looks quite raw and I think she'll be a project for Kim. I'd look for her to put up big numbers against the 300+ RPI squads but seldom get minutes against better teams. Sa'Myah Smith looks good and see her being an impact player off the bench for LSU. I thought she was primed to take a starting spot prior to Morrow coming in.

The way I see the rotation shaking out, if Kim opts for going 8 players deep, I think we'll have a starting 5 of Reese/Morrow/Flaujae/Williams/Hailey Van Lith, and a bench of Smith/Poa/Poole. I wouldn't count out Del Rosario from getting minutes throughout the year, and the other freshmen of Kent and Velez could also nab playing time.

Reaction Score
I was impressed with the production of S Smith. In both games she seemed to relish the role of a physical rebounder and defender. LSU is going to need that this season.

Reaction Score
I was impressed with the production of S Smith. In both games she seemed to relish the role of a physical rebounder and defender. LSU is going to need that this season.

She reminded me a lot of Nalyssa. I’d like to see her expand her range over the next few years before going pro.

Reaction Score
After watching the highlights, I agree with pretty much everything everyone abov me has said. The guard play looked elite. The interior play went about how I expected it to. I really think they're going to miss Ladazhia Williams in the big games.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
After watching the highlights, I agree with pretty much everything everyone abov me has said. The guard play looked elite. The interior play went about how I expected it to. I really think they're going to miss Ladazhia Williams in the big games.
Agreed. She was so good in the tournament for LSU.

Reaction Score
I didn’t see the athleticism mentioned above. I think they took a step back in that regard with the loss of Morris and Ladizah.

Flaujae is super athletic and I think she took a step forward this offseason, but not a lot of other explosive athletes on this team.
Williams I thought also looked great. Great looking shot and phenomenal mid range game.

I thought Hailey Van Lith looked uncomfortable as the point and in the half court. When she was able to take people one on one she looked her best but that’s not a surprised. Interested to see how that develops throughout the season and if she gets more comfortable in that role or reverts to her comfort zone.

Reese is going to Reese. Gets blocked or missed bunnies but always gets the rebound and makes the follow up no matter how difficult.

Morrow seemed to struggle considering the competition. Watching how she plays when the offensive isn’t built around her will also be interesting.

Bench was what we saw last year.

I watched both games and walked away most impressed by Johnson and Williams. The inside outside game with them and Reese could be deadly. Interested to see how those two play against a real defense in Colorado as it’s hard to evaluate against division III team and an NAIA school.

Reaction Score
If Kim allows her, Mikayla could be the best player on the team this year. I think she's even better than Watkins at USC.

Reaction Score
If Kim allows her, Mikayla could be the best player on the team this year. I think she's even better than Watkins at USC.
Better than a 6-3 dunking machine that can grab an 11 foot bar?

I guess she does shoot the 3 better.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I didn’t see the athleticism mentioned above. I think they took a step back in that regard with the loss of Morris and Ladizah.

Flaujae is super athletic and I think she took a step forward this offseason, but not a lot of other explosive athletes on this team.
Williams I thought also looked great. Great looking shot and phenomenal mid range game.

I thought Hailey Van Lith looked uncomfortable as the point and in the half court. When she was able to take people one on one she looked her best but that’s not a surprised. Interested to see how that develops throughout the season and if she gets more comfortable in that role or reverts to her comfort zone.

Reese is going to Reese. Gets blocked or missed bunnies but always gets the rebound and makes the follow up no matter how difficult.

Morrow seemed to struggle considering the competition. Watching how she plays when the offensive isn’t built around her will also be interesting.

Bench was what we saw last year.

I watched both games and walked away most impressed by Johnson and Williams. The inside outside game with them and Reese could be deadly. Interested to see how those two play against a real defense in Colorado as it’s hard to evaluate against division III team and an NAIA school.
Agreed on Hailey Van Lith, though uncomfortable is too kind a word. On defense she was simply horrible.

Reaction Score
The pieces don't fit and what we saw against Colorado will be a reoccurring issue if some adjustments aren't made to the lineup.

Reaction Score
The pieces don't fit and what we saw against Colorado will be a reoccurring issue if some adjustments aren't made to the lineup.
I've been thinking about this all week. I think Sa'Myah Smith should be a starter replacing Morrow. And Morrow should backup both S. Smith and F. Johnson (3/4). I think she could be a great energy player off the bench.

The PG position is a little more mystifying. Van Lith is a better athlete than Poole but neither are ideal for the position. If Poole were to start then either Van Lith, Williams, or Johnson would be on the bench. Williams looked like she had the most poise on the team, despite being a freshman, so I'm hesitant to put her on the bench. Van Lith had good moments when she was the off guard. Johnson had a bad game but she has shown that she is capable.

And then for an X factor, if Del Rosio can get up to speed, she could move to the 5 so that Reece can move to the 4.

So with that said, I think this is their best lineup:
Van Lith, Williams, Johnson, Smith, Reece

Reaction Score
I think that beat down was the best thing to ever to happen to LSU. And for it to happen this early imo is a blessing for them in many ways. While the natty brought lots of good I feel like the stardom/media hype this off-season was in ways poisonous for LSU and specific individuals.

The team was not together practicing this summer like the other programs. You aren’t slapping together that many major contributors and fielding a cohesive team in a month of official practice.

As for lineups. Morrow IMO will be very good for lsu eventually but I feel they still don’t know how to use her and she is trying to figure out how to be comfortable when the offense isn’t designed around her. I think Sa’Myah Smith compliments Reese much more. My starting five would be Hailey Van Lith, Flaujae, Mikaylah, Smith and Reese.

Contrary to opinion I believe Kim can make Hailey Van Lith a better passer. 7 assists was good but got to cut down the 4 turnovers, two of which had nothing to do with the other team. I’m not sure Kim can fix her D vs faster guards so Kim will need to get creative…

The sky ain’t falling in BR, they will be alright and a contender but I think this was badly needed in some ways to purge some very bad habits in that locker room. Kim sitting on the sideline with her arms crossed smirking at her players getting taken to the shed, no timeout not even getting mad … a point was being made.

Also I do think beyond Mikaylah Williams, Kim may need to let go and let her talented #1 class take their lumps. The upside of that group is incredible but they need reps

Reaction Score
I think that beat down was the best thing to ever to happen to LSU. And for it to happen this early imo is a blessing for them in many ways. While the natty brought lots of good I feel like the stardom/media hype this off-season was in ways poisonous for LSU and specific individuals.

The team was not together practicing this summer like the other programs. You aren’t slapping together that many major contributors and fielding a cohesive team in a month of official practice.

As for lineups. Morrow IMO will be very good for lsu eventually but I feel they still don’t know how to use her and she is trying to figure out how to be comfortable when the offense isn’t designed around her. I think Sa’Myah Smith compliments Reese much more. My starting five would be Hailey Van Lith, Flaujae, Mikaylah, Smith and Reese.

Contrary to opinion I believe Kim can make Hailey Van Lith a better passer. 7 assists was good but got to cut down the 4 turnovers, two of which had nothing to do with the other team. I’m not sure Kim can fix her D vs faster guards so Kim will need to get creative…

The sky ain’t falling in BR, they will be alright and a contender but I think this was badly needed in some ways to purge some very bad habits in that locker room. Kim sitting on the sideline with her arms crossed smirking at her players getting taken to the shed, no timeout not even getting mad … a point was being made.

Also I do think beyond Mikaylah Williams, Kim may need to let go and let her talented #1 class take their lumps. The upside of that group is incredible but they need reps
well. that #1 class will be playing only scrimmages until about New Years so I doubt they'll have to take many lumps.

Reaction Score
Welp..Kim just offered $2.2 Million in NIL Money to the Edwards Family

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

breakfas-cclub-donnell-rawlings.gif

Reaction Score
Welp..Kim just offered $2.2 Million in NIL Money to the Edwards Family
If this is true, it needs to be reported. And she's a damn fool for believing that it wouldn't get out. She's lost her damn mind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom