2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion... | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion...

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
So a walk on QB leads Georgia to National Championship win and we're debating if a couple of young guys who got scholarships to P5 schools as QB's are good enough to improve the QB competition at the worst team in FBS.

Having an elite Ol and all time great level defense while receivers bail him out with circus catches on jump balls is not exactly a very duplicateable strategy

Reaction Score
The problem is you could have Georgia's offensive line, but once you are down 2 or 3 scores, the D knows what you will do and that makes protection more difficult. Also, you had a below par OC/OL coach and QB's who were handcuffed on calling out protections. Bottom line, throw out the last few years regarding the offensive line.
I think he was a below avg. offensive coordinator. BUt was he really a below average OL coach?

I know we like to think everyone sucks, but OL coach isn't brain surgery. I am sure if he had Georgia's OL talent he would be considered a good OL coach.

I hate how people totally remove talent and personnel from the coach ability debate. My question is more to recruiting. Did they get good enough players. Answer is no.

Reaction Score
It’ll be interesting to see the OL in 22. What I find interesting is that our biggest areas of weakness have been OL and DBs in last few years, and yet we put 1 of each into league recently and 2 more are pushing for a chance to play on sundays as I type. One can argue based on that random fact that it’s been more a problem of coaching than skill.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I think he was a below avg. offensive coordinator. BUt was he really a below average OL coach?

I know we like to think everyone sucks, but OL coach isn't brain surgery. I am sure if he had Georgia's OL talent he would be considered a good OL coach.

I hate how people totally remove talent and personnel from the coach ability debate. My question is more to recruiting. Did they get good enough players. Answer is no.
Here is why he wasn't a good OL coach. The line had breakdowns on just about every running play. Someone didn't get to a spot, lost leverage, etc. When Dan O was here, we did not have a heralded O line, but that group had great technique and hence opened holes and gave Danny O time.

Reaction Score
Here is why he wasn't a good OL coach. The line had breakdowns on just about every running play. Someone didn't get to a spot, lost leverage, etc. When Dan O was here, we did not have a heralded O line, but that group had great technique and hence opened holes and gave Danny O time.
And an excellent Deon Anderson at FB.

Reaction Score
Dan O had an awesome O Line. Krug, Markowski, and Irwin were excellent.

Reaction Score
Tyler is an athlete so I can see him moving to WR or Safty. UConn problem was not QB it’s was more of our O-line and receivers. I seen a lot of drop balls that should of been caught. I like both transfers so may the best man win

Reaction Score

I’m with you on this. I know that you have to say something on a resume, but listing how many all conference players played for you, and how many NFL players, doesn’t tell anyone that any other coach wouldn’t be able to say the same thing had he inherited the same talent.

Reaction Score
My gut tells me Millen wins the job, but Roberson has specific packages during the game at the very least. Krajewski would be the 3rd qb. Tyler P tore his ACL and LCL, if he does come back next year he will be far behind.
You are harking back to the Niebrich days with his special packages. That won't work. Next year the QB will be running for his life unless the portal coughs up some major help for the OL. The QB is gonna have to throw on the run. Unless Millen has a talent hidden until now. Roberson will start. Puma number two. The time for a pro style passer has not yet arrived.

Reaction Score
You are harking back to the Niebrich days with his special packages. That won't work. Next year the QB will be running for his life unless the portal coughs up some major help for the OL. The QB is gonna have to throw on the run. Unless Millen has a talent hidden until now. Roberson will start. Puma number two. The time for a pro style passer has not yet arrived.
I don’t believe Tyler will be back healthy next season. He suffered a significant knee injury.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Millen played special teams at Oregon. Assuming he hasn't been injured, it is safe to say he can run a bit. Let's stop projecting and setting expectations too high.

I'm looking for the most accurate guy that can figure out where to throw the ball the quickest. Some of these guys may be better at one or the other. The guy who can best consistently do both should start. I can't think of any other criteria.

Still looking for OL help because we will need to run the ball credibly for whoever is playing QB.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

So long as the coaching/schemes are the same, this should be an easy Ole Miss choice unless he is worried about competition Otherwise, reviving a dead UConn program would do wonders for his NFL prospects. ;) I can see why Mora is still shooting for the Moon. Would increase the probability from 0% to 5% if Mora had more recent NFL experience.

Reaction Score
Millen played special teams at Oregon. Assuming he hasn't been injured, it is safe to say he can run a bit. Let's stop projecting and setting expectations too high.

I'm looking for the most accurate guy that can figure out where to throw the ball the quickest. Some of these guys may be better at one or the other. The guy who can best consistently do both should start. I can't think of any other criteria.

Still looking for OL help because we will need to run the ball credibly for whoever is playing QB.

... and if we listen to you, we should have no expectations.

Three kids have to get better - Roberson, Millen, Krajewski - and all had talent when evaluated coming to the college level. We actually have a QB whisperer and we fully know what needs to happen on the OLine. I am betting one out of the three rises far higher than expectations and our offense is simpler and has a solid chance.

btw ... NFL experience ain't necessary. Maine offense efficacy will be fine.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
... and if we listen to you, we should have no expectations.

Three kids have to get better - Roberson, Millen, Krajewski - and all had talent when evaluated coming to the college level. We actually have a QB whisperer and we fully know what needs to happen on the OLine. I am betting one out of the three rises far higher than expectations and our offense is simpler and has a solid chance.

btw ... NFL experience ain't necessary. Maine offense efficacy will be fine.

Kids on a 1-11 team need to get better. Wow, such insight. How's this one. Expecting an FCS backup and a P5 pariah to significantly improve on that is asking to be disappointed.

I prefer to hope they find the talent that made them desirable recruits and be happy if happens.

I'm also not going to jump on people with I told you so, if they don't work out.

I guess that makes us different.

Reaction Score
7 pages of the same stuff - from you and a few - is tiresome.

You don't know diddly and yet you think trotting out that a kid played some special teams is insight. I have been digesting these rivals/scout/247 rankings and video for 25 years. O ... I think it's ok to be hopeful. If you get off on whining on the 1-11 record, there are 9 coaches who had nothing to do with that. No QB guru named Moyseenko who's claim is good times at Towson. I think I'd rather be one way on the glass half ful/glass half empty stuff. You be you.

Reaction Score
7 pages of the same stuff - from you and a few - is tiresome.

You don't know diddly and yet you think trotting out that a kid played some special teams is insight. I have been digesting these rivals/scout/247 rankings and video for 25 years. O ... I think it's ok to be hopeful. If you get off on whining on the 1-11 record, there are 9 coaches who had nothing to do with that. No QB guru named Moyseenko who's claim is good times at Towson. I think I'd rather be one way on the glass half ful/glass half empty stuff. You be you.
I'm going to lean in your direction because I don't think a lot of people appreciate how poor the development and game prep actually was. Seen too many lower level programs do way more with the same or less talent. It just looks like we've moved ahead 20 years in our thinking in 4 months.

Reaction Score
1642645727567.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom