2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion... | The Boneyard

2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Unpopular opinion-

I expect both Millen and Roberson to make at least four starts this fall. This is not because of anything other than the fact it’s a long ladder climb out of this hole and nothing, even for the very top programs, ever goes smoothly and simply. Injuries, bumps, questions and experiments are likely.

Reaction Score
Just guessing.
1. Millen
2. Roberson
3. Krajewski
4. Drena
Phommachahn moves to wide out.
I think Millen and Roberson will compete for #1. Millen wins is my gut feeling. I get the feeling he has a bit of Casey Cochran in him. Tyler P doesn’t throw the ball well enough to play the position at this level. Krajewski doesnt run well enough.

Reaction Score
Just guessing.
1. Millen
2. Roberson
3. Krajewski
4. Drena
Phommachahn moves to wide out.
I think Millen and Roberson will compete for #1. Millen wins is my gut feeling. I get the feeling he has a bit of Casey Cochran in him. Tyler P doesn’t throw the ball well enough to play the position at this level. Krajewski doesnt run well enough.

My guess is Roberson gets the start in the first game.

The program needs a shot in the arm sooner than later, and what better way to do that is to bring back the Blue White game in the spring. The best way to see a QB competition first hand is in person along with the band, cheer dance squad and the surplus sale they had a few years back.

I'm anxious to see what the new qb's do in certain situations. Who throws the outlet pass the best, and to see who can throw an accurate deep ball. Who can move well and avoid the rush would go a long way as to who starts.

Reaction Score
My gut tells me Millen wins the job, but Roberson has specific packages during the game at the very least. Krajewski would be the 3rd qb. Tyler P tore his ACL and LCL, if he does come back next year he will be far behind.

Reaction Score
Technically Krajewski is the most experienced by far but wasn’t very productive. I’m guessing Mora and the new OC are going to spend more time evaluating Roberson and Millen but going into the season it’s Krajewski. Based on performance we’ll see Roberson and Millen get snaps.

Preseason:
Krajewski
Roberson
Millen
Drena
Tyler Phommachanh (Injured RS?)

Mid-season may look different:
Roberson
Krajewski/Millen
Drena
Tyler Phommachanh

I think having a dual threat QB is going to make a big difference for a team that has struggled on the line.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Worst analysis ever. Clueless is the word that comes to mind.

So, you are in the 48% is acceptable for a FBS QB camp?

Do I think Tyler P can play at the FBS level? Sure. But if can't get better at passing it's not clueless to suggest a position move. Happens every year in college football

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Mora has said...he prefers dual threat quarterbacks. And he prefers a thrower who can run over a runner who can throw.

Knowing this...I am not that sure any of the QBs perfectly fit this model. Unless....Millen is more of a runner than we know? As I said in another thread..he was listed as Pro Style coming out of high school. That might might not be accurate . If he is dual threat...that may give him the inside track.

It feels like Roberson is most likely a better version of Tyler P. Good wheels.. adequate at best arm. Krajewski is adequate at both throwing and running...but doesn't excel at either in my opinion.

Unless we hear Millen can run more..I think Roberson would have the inside track. Especially with a shaky offensive line.

Reaction Score
So, you are in the 48% is acceptable for a FBS QB camp?

Do I think Tyler P can play at the FBS level? Sure. But if can't get better at passing it's not clueless to suggest a position move. Happens every year in college football

Ridiculous. This place sometimes.

There is a zero percent chance of this very talented and very smart true freshman QB being moved to WR. Zero percent. Take it to the bank.

Reaction Score
Have @ it here...

Projected QB Room:
  1. Steve Krajewski
  2. Tyler Phommachahn
  3. Jacob Drena (Walk-on)
  4. Cale Millen (Transfer Portal)
  5. Ta'Quan Roberson (Transfer Portal)
  6. ???
we definitely need one more QB to develop... or maybe even beat everybody else out. QB room should always stay crowded with lead dogs...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I have no clue who wins out but I think Millen and Roberson get a top crack and Steven Krajewski is given the chance to show what he has. I'm hoping Mora and co. will have a clean slate approach with him and allow him to have a real QB/OC coach him.

As for Tyler Phommachanh, I think he redshirts this year. Unfortunately, by then the QB situation will be solidified, god willing, and he'll be too far behind. I don't think he is talented enough to overcome an entire year out and a year behind the QBs brought in. A position switch is definitely in the cards IMO.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ridiculous. This place sometimes.

There is a zero percent chance of this talented and very smart young QB being moved to WR. Zero percent. Take it to the bank.

I never said he was being moved to WR.

I do believe if he can't complete passes while on the move, he won't take snaps at QB. He through a decent pass when he had time to get his feet underneath him but he was horrible while throwing on the move. Horrible like 3-5 yards short of receivers.
I also realize he was a true frosh carrying a small frame and a little bit of extra strength in his lower body and midsection will help him throw better on the run. Hopefully he can do that. If not, I'm not sweating it a bit.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Millen
Roberson/wildcat
Krajewski/holder
Tyler Phommachanh to the slot

Reaction Score
We have no idea. Each QB has potential. Based on minimal direct insight looking in from the outside and 8 months of QB coaching, preparation, and competition, we still shouldn't care which QB initially starts and eventually plays the most. Coaches making decisions will likely conduct open competition.

As long as OL/O teammates' play improves and the QB(s) coaches believe deserve(s) playing time/starts, ideally overall improved performance contribute to greater competition and wins. Crazy enough, perhaps even some of the most persistently cranky 'yarders and Karen/Kevin anti-football trollers somehow end up a bit less negative.

#s 1-6 (including a likely high school QB to sign), I don't care. Compete, win the job. Forward progress. Win some games.

Reaction Score
Correct ne if I'm wrong but Tyler was a freshman thrown into a situation with a terrible coach terrible offensive coordinator and a mediocre offensive line and while he provided a spark at times but was inconsistent we're ready to judge that he can't play the position.

Reaction Score
You need five QBs to run a smooth practice. This looks like the most talented group we have had in a long time. So there should be benefits across the board with our RBs. TEs and WRs.

Who will run the show? Well... if you tell me who will be healthy, who can go through progressions the fastest, who is the most coachable, who is the most confident, who responds to adversity, who is cool under pressure, who is the best leader, then I will tell you the starter.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Millen
Roberson/wildcat
Krajewski/holder
Tyler Phommachanh to the slot
Wildcat? Really? Geezuss, I hope not.

The "Wildcat" relies on some amount of surprise and will not work at UConn so long as Public Address, particularly at home, announces the position change.

This always irritated me during the Pasqua-leone years. Is it required for quarterback? If so, why? It is the only position for which I notice it. Never once had I heard a substitution at running back, or receiver (eligible lineman notwithstanding).

Who get the first crack is largely going to depend on offensive philosophy. Right now there is an "and" at the top of the QB depth chart (MIllen/Roberson).

Reaction Score
Correct ne if I'm wrong but Tyler was a freshman thrown into a situation with a terrible coach terrible offensive coordinator and a mediocre offensive line and while he provided a spark at times but was inconsistent we're ready to judge that he can't play the position.

Tyler Phommachanh did provide a spark and there is no doubt in my mind we were going to whip Vanderbilt if he didn't get injured.

Before he was injured there was even talk on the board that Tyler Phommachanh might help us attract a good coach because of his talent.

The thing that impressed me the most about Tyler Phommachanh was the very quick and smart decision making. Yes at times the passes were short and inaccurate but that is something that can be improved upon with coaching and practice. Quick and smart decision making otherwise known as the QB "It" factor is something you can't teach. Casey Cochran had it and Tyler Phommachanh has it no doubt in my mind. I pray he can come back 100% from his injury because I really believe he has a chance to be a great QB. The idea that some are already moving him to WR blows my mind, Bizzarro universe level thinking.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom