2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2022 UConn QB Competition Discussion...

Reaction Score
We’ve all seen how QB’s can develop or regress depending on their personal maturation and/or better (more enlightened) coaching.
Meanwhile, look who was also invited to the College Gridiron Showcase NFL Draft All-Star game

QB Mike Beaudry, Idaho

Reaction Score
FYI… there is no actual All-Star Game involved w/ the College Gridiron Showcase (it’s just a practice/drill/scrimmage format in front of scouts).
I do know that despite its name—but that’s all that matters. Even at the Senior Bowl the scouts are long gone with their evaluations before the actual game is played.

Reaction Score
We’ve all seen how QB’s can develop or regress depending on their personal maturation and/or better (more enlightened) coaching.
Meanwhile, look who was also invited to the College Gridiron Showcase NFL Draft All-Star game

QB Mike Beaudry, Idaho

Beaudry always reminded me of Kurt Warner with his throwing motion and I thought he had a good QB IQ. He also seemed to get hurt every time he was touched at UCONN. We barely knew him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Beaudry always reminded me of Kurt Warner with his throwing motion and I thought he had a good QB IQ.. We barely knew him.
We didn't seem to know much about several of our QB's. While I have my doubts, nothing would surprise me about where he eventually ends up.

Reaction Score
I don’t know how anybody can make any evaluations of any QBs at this point. Admittedly, Millen being buried at his last stop raises eyebrows, but I would expect him or Roberson to start. That said, I would also expect some improvement from K or Phuma behind a much improved O line.

I don’t know what we’ll be going forward, but I know we’ll be better than we were last year.

Reaction Score
Phearless Phorecast-

Robertson is gonna start Day 1. He simply needs to demonstrate a grasp of the offense and a modicum of accuracy, which he will check both boxes IMO.

Millen will be the backup, and Tyler Phommachanh the third/emergency QB while also seeing reps at wideout. The others will not be competitive at the level Mora needs to run his offense, and that's fine. Let the chips fall.

Reaction Score
Phearless Phorecast-

Robertson is gonna start Day 1. He simply needs to demonstrate a grasp of the offense and a modicum of accuracy, which he will check both boxes IMO.

Millen will be the backup, and Tyler Phommachanh the third/emergency QB while also seeing reps at wideout. The others will not be competitive at the level Mora needs to run his offense, and that's fine. Let the chips fall.
I think Millen will start and Robertson will come off the bench and also be used for Wildcat.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Phearless Phorecast-

Prediction: Roberson's name will be misspelled on the boneyard as often as Cochran's but less than Shirreffs.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Look at the score of the games Tyler Phommachanh played and the ones he did not. Many of you have already relegated him to WR.
We’re gonna be run and shoot on a pool table type O. His wheelhouse.

Reaction Score
Phearless Phorecast-

So the beating Steven Krajewski took all season and the games he played at UCF, Vandy and Houston put him 4th on your depth chart? Again, as of right now it’s anybody’s ball game. If I was a betting man I would say it’s a 3 way race. Steven Krajewski has all the talent in the world and he should do much better if given better coaching and a fair opportunity. If everything being equal he should have a slight edge with his experience. The good news is we will have three good quarterbacks and that’s not even counting Tyler Phommachanh in the mix. 2022 is going to be a fun year!

Reaction Score
Have @ it here...

Projected QB Room:
  1. Steve Krajewski
  2. Tyler Phommachahn
  3. Jacob Drena (Walk-on)
  4. Cale Millen (Transfer Portal)
  5. Ta'Quan Roberson (Transfer Portal)
  6. ???
Roberson is the only one Coach Mora has brought in. That makes him the first option.

Reaction Score
I think it’s nice to actually have some depth.

Puma was good for us and made things fun again.

Millen might be as good as K, Leon and Zergiotis. But all would look better behind a better line.

Roberson might have the best arm of all of them based on the throws I saw him make in actual college football games.

I think if Roberson can’t win the starting job over the crew we have given everything then that would be surprising.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So a walk on QB leads Georgia to National Championship win and we're debating if a couple of young guys who got scholarships to P5 schools as QB's are good enough to improve the QB competition at the worst team in FBS.
Bingo - there is no position like the QB position. The coaching, the play calling, the reps, the mental maturity is all on a steeper curve and so just because someone didn't fulfill promises as a freshman or sophomore doesnt mean they wont as a junior, senior or 5th year player. The fit/mental development component is obviously far beyond what is necessary anyplace else on the field.

Of course I've offered nothing most 95% of fans dont already understand...just reiterating for the few that might have forgotten.

Reaction Score
We need a bunch Juco/5thyr/6thyr dudes on the OL before it even matters who our QB is
Not necessarily true. Puma and Roberson are mobile. Roberson is a true dual threat and Puma has (with some coaching of his mechanics) the potential to be one as well. This will mask the oline's inconsistencies and can buy some time on offense to make plays happen, which can make out the offense improve almost immediately. Look at the how the offense was when Mazzone designed the plays for Tyler. They could have kept up with anyone on the schedule had Tyler not got hurt and Guifre not been given play calling duties again. This is why I think Roberson gets the nod. The oline is going to take some time to retool and reload. And having someone with mobility and throwing ability will get things going.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily true. Puma and Roberson are mobile. Roberson is a true dual threat and Puma has (with some coaching of his mechanics) the potential to be one as well. This will mask the oline's inconsistencies and can buy some time on offense to make plays happen, which can make out the offense improve almost immediately. Look at the how the offense was when Mazzone designed the plays for Tyler. They could have kept up with anyone on the schedule had Tyler not got hurt and Guifre not been given play calling duties again. This is why I think Roberson gets the nod. The oline is going to take some time to retool and reload. And having someone with mobility and throwing ability will get things going.
Mobile quarterbacks just get hurt with a bad oline. Yeah, they may make some plays out of nothing, but they get pounded running for their lives. If the oline sucks and thus you can't run or pass pro, the defense can just plan to thrash the mobile quarterback and destroy them.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So a walk on QB leads Georgia to National Championship win and we're debating if a couple of young guys who got scholarships to P5 schools as QB's are good enough to improve the QB competition at the worst team in FBS.

Improve, yes. Improve enough to not be the worst team or the 50th worst team, that is the question.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Improve, yes. Improve enough to not be the worst team or the 50th worst team, that is the question.
The problem is you could have Georgia's offensive line, but once you are down 2 or 3 scores, the D knows what you will do and that makes protection more difficult. Also, you had a below par OC/OL coach and QB's who were handcuffed on calling out protections. Bottom line, throw out the last few years regarding the offensive line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom