2022 UConn Football Commit - Ta’Quan Roberson (Orange, New Jersey) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2022 UConn Football Commit - Ta’Quan Roberson (Orange, New Jersey)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My thinking is that at worse the two Portal Transfers will at least ( as others have also said) provide dept at the QB farm. What do we expect players who are destined for the Heisman trophy to be standing in the portal asking “ beam me up Scotty”. With our recent history of injuries to our QBs and potential turning to mush we need backups.

Reaction Score
While most everyone here speculates on what the offense will look like next year and alternately dump on Steven Krajewski and TR, I'd like to point out the receiver that caught the go ahead pass for Iowa at the 9:30 mark was none other than East Haven's Nico Ragaini.

Reaction Score
I tipped the board off on this transfer awhile back as we knew it was coming on our side. If anyone has any questions on TR I'll try and answer them based on what I've seen and heard.
My questions would be what the coaches feel his upside is, and were there circumstances that hampered his progress at PSU.

Reaction Score
I tipped the board off on this transfer awhile back as we knew it was coming on our side. If anyone has any questions on TR I'll try and answer them based on what I've seen and heard.
That you did.

My questions:
What was the general feeling on him as a player before the Iowa game?
Was he doing well in practices?
Did he earn the number two job out of camp or was there not much competition?

Reaction Score
I don't want to be that guy, but his gam against Iowa was one of the worst QB performances I have ever seen.

Up 3 on the PSU 40 Iowa chose to kneel the ball and punt over trying to win it with the offense because they knew PSU could not move the ball a yard with him at QB.

Reaction Score
I don't want to be that guy, but his gam against Iowa was one of the worst QB performances I have ever seen.

Up 3 on the PSU 40 Iowa chose to kneel the ball and punt over trying to win it with the offense because they knew PSU could not move the ball a yard with him at QB.

Thanks for your insight. What a shocker that a kid who was unexpectedly thrown in against the #3 team in the country struggled. You probably also know something that all the P5 coaches that offered him didn’t know. Wish Mora had consulted with you first.

Reaction Score
If someone is good, it’s not a 4 way competition. That only happens when you don’t actually have a starting QB. I think we have two guys now.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your insight. What a shocker that a kid who was unexpectedly thrown in against the #3 team in the country struggled. You probably also know something that all the P5 coaches that offered him didn’t know. Wish Mora had consulted with you first.
They aint #3 anymore. Struggled would be one thing, he much more than struggled. My guess is you did not watch the game.

Citing his offers out of HS, cool. What were they coming out of PSU while in the portal?

Let me know his PSU practice reports and how he has faired against actual defenses. I will wait.

Reaction Score
They aint #3 anymore. Struggled would be one thing, he much more than struggled. My guess is you did not watch the game.

Citing his offers out of HS, cool. What were they coming out of PSU while in the portal?

Let me know his PSU practice reports and how he has faired against actual defenses. I will wait.
So you watched one game, and you know more than the coaching staff that recruited him? A staff that includes a coach who recruited him out of high school? (when I'm sure you, like the rest of this board, had no idea who he was.)

That's your argument?

Reaction Score
Then don't.

One game as a freshman on the road against a top 5 teams is less an indication of his talent than the fact he had 10+ offers from P5 schools coming out of HS.
His offers out of HS are more indicative of his actual play on the field? Cool. Makes sense. Kids with good offers are always great, you're right, that is all that matters.

He could be great, he could not be. What I said regarding his play against Iowa is a fact. Being good because he got offers is pure speculation and hope.

Reaction Score
His offers out of HS are more indicative of his actual play on the field? Cool. Makes sense. Kids with good offers are always great, you're right, that is all that matters.

He could be great, he could not be. What I said regarding his play against Iowa is a fact. Being good because he got offers is pure speculation and hope.

What exactly is your point? Who has said he'll come in here and be great? Can you quote that post? You came in here acknowledging your message wouldn't be well received and it wasn't. So now you need strawmen? You weren't even original as others have already mentioned the Iowa game, and shockingly, we don't care. Not sure where you've been, but we've seen pretty bad QB play against FCS teams these past few years.

His offers are more indicative of his potential than one game. Yes. I never said they're always great or always pan out.

But let's use your logic. Every kid who has a bad game should have his scholarship revoked right? Cool. Makes sense. That's why Tim Boyle is an NFL QB while he looked completely lost at UConn.

You're not going to convince us not to be excited about another QB coming in to raise the level of competition because he had a bad game. You're not better than anyone on the staff, and we don't give a ____ what you think about him.

Reaction Score
So you watched one game, and you know more than the coaching staff that recruited him? A staff that includes a coach who recruited him out of high school? (when I'm sure you, like the rest of this board, had no idea who he was.)

That's your argument?
He played meaningful stats in one game. What you want me to base it on? Oh HS offers, that's right, that is how you determine if a kid can play 3 years later or not.

Being recruited to come to UConn, and FCS level program right now, and taking that offer does not mean he is the next great thing.

Oh, and after we hired Edsall 2.0 I told you he was bad person and a bad coach and you foolishly said both were stupid and inaccurate I have a hard time taking anything football related you say seriously, you clearly just think everything is roses about UConn football despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
D4825D21-9FAB-4033-90F4-7B335DCA8270.jpeg

2AAAAF2E-DD84-44B3-BEB8-A5315FEB17D0.jpeg

Reaction Score
What exactly is your point? Who has said he'll come in here and be great? Can you quote that post? You came in here acknowledging your message wouldn't be well received and it wasn't. So now you need strawmen? You weren't even original as others have already mentioned the Iowa game, and shockingly, we don't care. Not sure where you've been, but we've seen pretty bad QB play against FCS teams these past few years.

His offers are more indicative of his potential than one game. Yes. I never said they're always great or always pan out.

But let's use your logic. Every kid who has a bad game should have his scholarship revoked right? Cool. Makes sense. That's why Tim Boyle is an NFL QB while he looked completely lost at UConn.

You're not going to convince us not to be excited about another QB coming in to raise the level of competition because he had a bad game. You're not better than anyone on the staff, and we don't give a ____ what you think about him.
I never said he would be good or bad I simply stated a fact and you got butt hurt, as usual.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Highlights from his senior year in high school.

He throws a little flat footed, and yet he can still make all the throws. He has really good arm strength and is willing to take a hit to get the throw off.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Love this, these are the guys we need to go after in the portal. He obviously has a baseline level of talent that outpaces our current roster/QB room, but struggled in his limited reps at the highest level of FBS football. Obvious ‘buy low’ candidate for us given the state of the program.

Reaction Score
Mehh, if the sample size is mainly him coming in as a backup QB on the road vs #3 Iowa and struggling, I'm not gonna poo-poo it too much. He's got FBS size & skills, more than we can say for what we've had for signal callers the last decade plus. Lord knows we need actual FBS-level talent. Worth a shot to bring him to UConn.
To me, the point is that he was the backup QB at Penn State, however he played against Iowa. He was not someone who got there, transferred out because he didn't see a route to more playing time and couldn't immediately move into the starting role at a FCS school.

And I'm not writing off Cate either. I certainly don't know how good either of these kids will be next year, much less in three years. I'm just saying that getting up the depth chart to #2 at a perennial really good program counts for a lot.

Reaction Score
Totally agree....that’s how you build a program that is struggling by going after kids that are talented but just not quite good enough to get playing time at a top school...come to UConn where you can help rebuild a program and have a great shot at being a starter right away.

The optimism is based on him being a 4 star recruit out of high school, being good enough to be recruited by Penn State and being good enough to be named the backup at Penn State to start the season.....along with that if you are not optimistic about getting a kid with this kind of ability coming out of high school, recruited by several top 25 teams and winning the backup job to start the season on one of the top teams in the country, then I don’t know what planet you are from.

Reaction Score
Or maybe Steven Krajewski might just finally get a fair chance to compete. I don’t think Coach Mora will name a starter based on ice cream, Molsons and swag. I would’ve liked to see what Steven Krajewski could’ve done his freshman year but Edsall dogged him for no reason. I think Mora will play the best QB and not base it on anything else but talent. With that being said Steven Krajewski has just as good as chance as anyone else. And that’s the way it should be.
Rose Bud is that you?!

Reaction Score
This is an exciting commitment and this board is desperate for a little excitement. So anyone splitting hairs needs to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. It’s ok to enjoy good news and display some optimism.

A player like this would’ve never even considered Storrs, CT, under Edsall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom