2022 UConn Football Commit - Ta’Quan Roberson (Orange, New Jersey) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2022 UConn Football Commit - Ta’Quan Roberson (Orange, New Jersey)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
On the PSU/Iowa game. To be frank, he was horrible and cost them the game. The numbers don't speak to that enough but it's an undisputed fact. He looked completely out of place and was the back up only because their real backup transferred out at the end of last season.

That said it's not fair to pass judgement on one game even though that is exactly what Penn State did (or at least the fanbase did). He wasn't going to return next season.

I am hanging my hat on an open competition with a competent offensive staff (could never say that before without irony). Steve K remains the only QB on the roster with meaningful FBS experience and I hope he takes the challenge to improve his game and defend his spot because he wasn't good enough this year.

On paper though, this looks like a two horse race if Tyler is still out. What I hope is that everyone here (and on the staff) will put aside the 2 and 3 year old recruiting hype and watch with their eyes how each QB performs in this new offense. The most accurate, most consistent guy in his reads is the guy who should be playing. Make a decision in camp but pay attention to what happens when the games are real.

And now for the annual, I hope someone separates themselves early because if we have multiple QB's then we have zero QB's statement.

We pull two cards from the deck because we had a lousy hand, we didn't draw to a royal flush. I hope we at least pulled an Ace.

Reaction Score
Oh you're really doubling down? Bold move, let's see how it plays out.

It already played out. The game happened. You can’t erase his performance from my memory

Reaction Score
We need players at this position. He appears to upgrade the talent level. He is mobile which is my preferred QB style given our OL play. I for one am happy any talented QB would consider playing here given how terrible we have been.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You have to know that Mora has promised the kid at the very least the inside track to starting and most likely gave him the vision that the job is his to lose.
No way this kid didn't get lookers and hints from programs a lot more attractive than UConn at this point in time
I have no issue with this happening but it does raise eyebrows
He's small but is definitely an athlete - he can only help the QB situation
Welcome Mr. Roberson

Reaction Score
You have to know that Mora has promised the kid at the very least the inside track to starting and most likely gave him the vision that the job is his to lose.
No way this kid didn't get lookers and hints from programs a lot more attractive than UConn at this point in time
I have no issue with this happening but it does raise eyebrows
He's small but is definitely an athlete - he can only help the QB situation
Welcome Mr. Roberson

No. That's not how it goes.

More than anything, UCONN is a new paradigm with Charlton. I think you sell the returners and Millen + Roberson on open competition and development. You never say anything but earning your position.

Reaction Score
This is sweet. I like that he gets a shot at 2 B1G teams, maybe give him some form of redemption. Hopefully at least 1 more is added to the schedule during his time here.

Reaction Score
The most worrisome thing in this thread is that people think Steven Krajewski is a good QB at this level. I’m glad he’ll be in the QB room for the continuity and experience but if he is seeing the field at all in non-blowout minutes we have major issues.

I disagree. Steven Krajewski has arm talent and maybe he benefits greatly from the new staff, new playbook, and new offensive line.

Reaction Score
He can run. Franklin felt he needed to be better at recognizing pre-snap reads. That is where Charlton and experience comes in. He is Tyler P with a little more size, so things will be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if Krajewski still could be the starter as Robinson can evolve. Millen will need time to develop as well.
I think Tyler Phommachanh will redshirt and I think we will have some QB to RB to WR passes. Maybe 50 yard passes next year...Steven Krajewski I believe will have coaching help, now to gets few OL players...

Reaction Score
They aint #3 anymore. Struggled would be one thing, he much more than struggled. My guess is you did not watch the game.

Citing his offers out of HS, cool. What were they coming out of PSU while in the portal?

Let me know his PSU practice reports and how he has faired against actual defenses. I will wait.
Yup. Dropped to 17. Not quite Holy Cross, I guess, but still good. I don’t know if he will develop. Last time we had a highly rated guy who couldn’t make it at a top program, he played pretty well. Si we will see

Reaction Score
He has the most talent at QB of the bunch. Can't see him not thinking he, JM, needs to upgrade this position which adds depth. Ta'Quan will be getting first team snaps this spring. There will be competition he should be at a different level.

Reaction Score
See. For the whiners amongst us. WE are hoping to develop Quarterbacks with someone with a Plan. No Mikee Moyseenko. Nick Charlton is significant piece of this new package of UCONN Football. Hopefully, he coaches them up + we don't have totally unprepared gunslingers leading us. My favorite guy - after our St Danny O days - was Tyler Lorenzen whereby he often would start the first quarter just moving chains. First down after first down. Maybe breakout long run. He could definitely get a first with his legs.

Charlton. I pray he is good

Reaction Score
I disagree. Steven Krajewski has arm talent and maybe he benefits greatly from the new staff, new playbook, and new offensive line.
The same thing happened to Ta’Quan at Penn State that happened to Steven Krajewski under Edsall. I think the new staff will fine tune both of these guys and we will have some good competition. Who knows, they might end up being roommates and good friends.?

Reaction Score
A couple of points.

I think we can all agree that the talent in the QB room has been upgraded.

I think we can all agree that Guifre was in over his head as a first time OC.

Personally, I think most of our problems on offense were due to poor coaching and I think it is difficult to evaluate individual players based on how they performed last year. Steve Krajewski was recruited by Lashlee and I trust Lashlee's judgement of QB talent. Look at Trevor Lawrence. He is not performing well in the NFL even though he had a great career at Clemson. Is it Lawrence, the talent around him, or the coaching? I think it's mostly the coaching and partly the talent around him. Bottom line, even a top QB talent won't look good with poor coaching and talent around him.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Everyone in that QB room gets a new lease on life as an FBS QB. The starter will be the one who does the most with the opportunity and I'm OK with that. My only expectations are better play from the position. By better, I mostly mean more consistent as I'm sure all of these guys can have moments.

One good play per series is not good enough. The benchmark for college QB's is about a 65% completion rate. I'll take that in whatever form it comes without turning the ball over twice a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom