2022 Season Preview | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2022 Season Preview

Reaction Score
I know Tyler P was exciting to watch. But folks keep glossing over his 49% completion percentage. That will not get it done.

Keeping Spanos was a head scratcher. But the pieces on defense look to be improved.

At this point, everyone's opinion is valid. There is simply not enough data to have confidence in a conclusion. For every positive there is a negative. Despair and hope can both be supported. So, no one knows what we have until we see it. Show me.

I will say this. This is the year we find out the importance of having a competent experienced head coach. Mora has a real track record and a demonstrated history of results. He is an experienced professional. I believe, that will make a dent in the win column.

Reaction Score
My one note of caution is that roughly half this roster has turned over. Assuming we have brought in more talented players then this was absolutely the right thing to do. It's reasonable to be optimistic that we have a more talented roster than we did at the end of last season. With that said, with that much turnover it is going to take time to both identify a two deep and then build experience and cohesion. That will not happen overnight and the schedule is pretty rugged to start the season. Patience, which no fanbase has, would be in order.

Reaction Score
I know Tyler P was exciting to watch. But folks keep glossing over his 49% completion percentage. That will not get it done.

Keeping Spanos was a head scratcher. But the pieces on defense look to be improved.

At this point, everyone's opinion is valid. There is simply not enough data to have confidence in a conclusion. For every positive there is a negative. Despair and hope can both be supported. So, no one knows what we have until we see it. Show me.

I will say this. This is the year we find out the importance of having a competent experienced head coach. Mora has a real track record and a demonstrated history of results. He is an experienced professional. I believe, that will make a dent in the win column.
One win is not valid.

Reaction Score
My one note of caution is that roughly half this roster has turned over. Assuming we have brought in more talented players then this was absolutely the right thing to do. It's reasonable to be optimistic that we have a more talented roster than we did at the end of last season. With that said, with that much turnover it is going to take time to both identify a two deep and then build experience and cohesion. That will not happen overnight and the schedule is pretty rugged to start the season. Patience, which no fanbase has, would be in order.

Your post is true. But consider this. Because of the portal, significant turnover is the norm rather than the exception. Many of the teams we will be playing are in the same boat as us. They will be searching for an identity and will trying to bring find cohesion between new pieces. My guess is that sloppy play will be endemic during the early season in college football. It is as much of an opportunity as a problem.

Reaction Score
I just hope this team has enough confidence and swag to weather the first half of the season which will likely find us at 1-5 with some blowout losses. If they can maintain their confidence through the hard times and keep showing up with a chip on their shoulder, like Edsall's first 6-6 team, it should result in several wins down the stretch. I loved that 6-6 Edsall team. It was exciting to watch them develop and to play the way they did, never quiting regardless of the score.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We’re bowling this year.
Bowling Accidents GIF

Reaction Score
Your post is true. But consider this. Because of the portal, significant turnover is the norm rather than the exception. Many of the teams we will be playing are in the same boat as us. They will be searching for an identity and will trying to bring find cohesion between new pieces. My guess is that sloppy play will be endemic during the early season in college football. It is as much of an opportunity as a problem.

I agree with all that. My sense is that we've seen more change and turnover than most. But, I totally get that the transfer portal has changed college football dramatically and will drive a certain amount of systemic turnover.

Keeping the locker room together early in the season when there will inevitably be some rough sledding will be key.

Hopefully Mora is the guy.

Reaction Score

Keeping Spanos was Mora’s one move IMO. Can’t keep the stink of losing in the locker room, even if he is beloved. He’s probably beloved for embracing the “you tried your best and that’s o.k.” philosophy

Reaction Score

I don’t think the completion % tells the complete story. Tyler Phommachanh moved the ball better than the others either completions for first downs or he or others running. Guessing he got sacked less and some of those Incompletions were throwaways. Don’t know if he’ll play again but he definitely exceeded expectations coming into last year and provided hope.

Reaction Score
I’m not concerned about the turnover and all the new players. It needed to happen. They are new to each other but not the game. Lining up next to someone who does their job makes everyone better.
We will not face a team with a better coach than Mora. Don’t need to wait and see to know that is true. This will not be an incremental improvement. They will win more than lose (I sure hope!)

CL82

Reaction Score
I don’t think the completion % tells the complete story. Tyler Phommachanh moved the ball better than the others either completions for first downs or he or others running. Guessing he got sacked less and some of those Incompletions were throwaways. Don’t know if he’ll play again but he definitely exceeded expectations coming into last year and provided hope.
This. I’m guessing his completion percentage will improve if he’s not running for his life on every down.

CL82

Reaction Score
Qb when Mazzone was here. Even Rose passing against Vanderbilt was a Mazzone leftover. Before and after that nothing very imaginative.
My assumption is that our quarterback protection is going to look significantly better and, accordingly, our quarterbacks will look significantly better. Likewise, if are offensive line can open up some holes, our running backs will look significantly better. I am, secretly, hopeful that we take a significant leap this year. I’m not, necessarily, predicting a winning season, but I am hopeful that we look much more confident and competent out there.

Reaction Score
… or Mora trusted him/knew his coaching capabilities after their time together @ UCLA. Mora’s not a newbie, he gets the benefit of doubt there in my mind.
We shall see.

Reaction Score
I guess that my point is that you have no data that say it won't turn out the way those guys predict -- one win and 129th. The two best players are gone from a 1-11 team. There has been huge turnover, and that MIGHT be a good thing or it might not be, you don't know. Neither do I. I am on record several times now predicting 3 wins. But it is probably more likely to be 2 wins than 4 to be quite frank. The situation is exactly what is was in the fortnight leading up to Fresno State when people were screaming about bigger stronger faster. Making all these predictions of going to bowls and how much UConn was gonna win by. Then we saw their two deep and compared it to UConn's and it slowly began to dawn on the UConn faithful. Not gonna be a cake walk. Thats fine. As I said, it's a big tent. But those who predict otherwise are not casting negativity or shade. They are merely making a considered prediction.

Btw, 3 wins would be a solid accomplishment this year. A bar at that height is not too low. And if 3-9 actually happens, we should all be grateful and say the turnaround has begun.

I don’t need data to counter their lack of it. Ignoring 90% of the transfers and so should be enough.

Reaction Score
I don’t need data to counter their lack of it. Ignoring 90% of the transfers and so should be enough.
Not on point. You said that I was moving the goalposts. Sorry, but not one millimeter. But if you can find a post or a laptop that proves I did I will be happy to buy a couple of drinks and withdraw my latest prediction.

Reaction Score
Not on point. You said that I was moving the goalposts. Sorry, but not one millimeter. But if you can find a post or a laptop that proves I did I will be happy to buy a couple of drinks and withdraw my latest prediction.

Totally on point.

We have a different staff, a new culture, better attitude.

You’re a typical engineer who cannot grasp the human aspect. Go play with your CAD program.

Reaction Score
Totally on point.

We have a different staff, a new culture, better attitude.

You’re a typical engineer who cannot grasp the human aspect. Go play with your CAD program.
No no no, you are changing the subject. I was responding to your "moving the goal posts" comment. From very early on I predicted 3 wins this year and said it would be a helluva an accomplishment since the two best players from a 1-11 team are gone. That the prediction was essentially a vote of confidence in the new staff. Let's stay on topic, OK? As hard as that might be for you.

I love it when people are so easily swayed to drink the kool aid without the slightest bit of data. Until the first pass attempt (e.g. Mike Beaudry) or the first time Rhode Island snaps the ball (e.g. Ryan Fines) or suddenly when we get a look at the other team's two deep (e.g. Fresno). And suddenly the recognition sets in that the second coming will not be in the person of a UConn Football Husky or that maybe bigger stronger faster was a myth that we all swallowed to keep the proverbial rose colored glasses perched high on our collective noses. But that's OK, it's a big tent.

Go back to reading Proust or doing social work, or whatever it is you do. And I will leave CAD to the engineers and draftsmen that work for me (I wouldn't have a clue how to even open an IGES file anyway).

Reaction Score
My assumption is that our quarterback protection is going to look significantly better and, accordingly, our quarterbacks will look significantly better. Likewise, if are offensive line can open up some holes, our running backs will look significantly better. I am, secretly, hopeful that we take a significant leap this year. I’m not, necessarily, predicting a winning season, but I am hopeful that we look much more confident and competent out there.

It will certainly look different. I am hoping for better too. If not better, it will be hard for the team to move the ball Consistently.

Reaction Score
No no no, you are changing the subject. I was responding to your "moving the goal posts" comment. From very early on I predicted 3 wins this year and said it would be a helluva an accomplishment since the two best players from a 1-11 team are gone. That the prediction was essentially a vote of confidence in the new staff. Let's stay on topic, OK? As hard as that might be for you.

I love it when people are so easily swayed to drink the kool aid without the slightest bit of data. Until the first pass attempt (e.g. Mike Beaudry) or the first time Rhode Island snaps the ball (e.g. Ryan Fines) or suddenly when we get a look at the other team's two deep (e.g. Fresno). And suddenly the recognition sets in that the second coming will not be in the person of a UConn Football Husky or that maybe bigger stronger faster was a myth that we all swallowed to keep the proverbial rose colored glasses perched high on our collective noses. But that's OK, it's a big tent.

Go back to reading Proust or doing social work, or whatever it is you do. And I will leave CAD to the engineers and draftsmen that work for me (I wouldn't have a clue how to even open an IGES file anyway).

You are moving the goal posts. You insinuated that the team wouldn’t be good but then said 3 wins would be a good achievement which is also not good. Make up your mind.

Reaction Score
You are moving the goal posts. You insinuated that the team wouldn’t be good but then said 3 wins would be a good achievement which is also not good. Make up your mind.
It is even more strange that @RSTuthill is saying there is no data, so no way one could know anything, but is somehow convinced his very specific projection based on no data, is superior to a variety of other projections based on no data.

Reaction Score
Three wins consistently all of 2022. Do you need a refresher course on critical thinking. Or perhaps logic?

Reaction Score
Three wins consistently all of 2022. Do you need a refresher course on critical thinking. Or perhaps logic?

Oh that’s an adorable comment. You take clickbait articles at face value and exercise zero critical thought. And we use data and arguments to counter theirs and you accuse us of not using critical thinking and logic.

Go find a blue plate special and take a nap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom