2022 Season Preview | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Season Preview

Reaction Score
This guy says the roster isn't good. That's directly opposite the consensus on here, which was that our roster was much better than our record but Randy Edsall .... And that was before all the improvement Mora made to the roster.

I'm rooting for the consensus and not the author's opinion. But we'll have to see.
I understand and respect your view but would caution there has been a lot of turnover including the loss of the two best players on each line, the same lines that were responsible for a lot of UConn's grief last year. The back-fills are untested and we have no data on them. And so is the coaching staff in the UConn context, although that is perhaps the least of the worries.

I think that cautious optimism and a wait and see approach are best at this point. Can't wait for the CCSU game for the first meaningful data, although if they surprise us in Utah, that would be pleasant indeed.

Reaction Score
There has been a lot of turnover, including the loss of the two best players on each line.
I agree that our line play is the biggest question mark. If we can reasonably protect our QB-- and do better than expected on the D Line. we'll win 6 games, 4 outright and 2 Nostical's that cover. What this team needs is our full throated support, so my wife and I are making the trek out to Logan, Utah (never mind that we're stopping on the way to see our two grandkids who attend CU Boulder--lol). This is a statement game. Do we fold under the weight of low expectations and a talent mismatch--or rise above it all and set the tone for a vastly different UConn team this year. You know which way I'm leaning.

Reaction Score
I agree that our line play is the biggest question mark. If we can reasonably protect our QB-- and do better than expected on the D Line. we'll win 6 games, 4 outright and 2 Nostical's that cover. What this team needs is our full throated support, so my wife and I are making the trek out to Logan, Utah (never mind that we're stopping on the way to see our two grandkids who attend CU Boulder--lol). This is a statement game. Do we fold under the weight of low expectations and a talent mismatch--or rise above it all and set the tone for a vastly different UConn team this year. You know which way I'm leaning.
Sounds like a great trip. A full detailed report will be expected by the faithful.

Reaction Score
Honestly, none of us know what the team will look like this year with all of the transfers in and out and losses to graduation. The transfers in do appear to be an upgrade in talent, but will the team gel and can Roberson or any other QB on the roster get the job done? I think 3 to 4 wins would be a good season. Or, being competitive in most games would be an uptick as the schedule is hard this year and it would not surprise me to start the season 1-5. I think 2023 (I know, the wait til next year) will be a much better season as the schedule is more manageable and the team will have a year under Mora and staff.

Reaction Score

-> Early Predictions

UConn is a reasonable bet to start improving within the next year or two, but it is probably still unreasonable to expect them to be much better against the Mountain West than they were in 2021. Utah State and Fresno State should roll.

Utah State 45, UConn 17
Fresno State 49, UConn 14 <-

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

-> Early Predictions

UConn is a reasonable bet to start improving within the next year or two, but it is probably still unreasonable to expect them to be much better against the Mountain West than they were in 2021. Utah State and Fresno State should roll.

Utah State 45, UConn 17
Fresno State 49, UConn 14 <-

One of the better write ups I have seen for a preview and of course that is not saying much for this subject.

Reaction Score
I am on record as predicting 3-9. But this guy could be correct. A legitimate prediction 1-11. But football is so non-linear, it could also be just as easily 5-7.
I think he’s full of do do, or maybe just trying to get a rise out of the Yard. Mora’s doing it the right way, recruiting recruiting recruiting, which is something FHCRE was terrible at, kids, parents, and assistants could not stand the guy, either at UConn or Maryland. Just ask Geno about how much recruiting matters, or Calhoun, or Nick Saban, or UCF fans. With some luck I say we win 6 or 7, with some bad luck 3 or 4.

Reaction Score
I think he’s full of do do, or maybe just trying to get a rise out of the Yard. Mora’s doing it the right way, recruiting recruiting recruiting, which is something FHCRE was terrible at, kids, parents, and assistants could not stand the guy, either at UConn or Maryland. Just ask Geno about how much recruiting matters, or Calhoun, or Nick Saban, or UCF fans. With some luck I say we win 6 or 7, with some bad luck 3 or 4.
Well, that puts you squarely in the fanboy camp. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Reaction Score
Well, that puts you squarely in the fanboy camp. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I’ve been a fanboy a long time, I was there in 91 for the women’s first Final Four and in 99 for the men’s first NC. The longer the wait the sweeter it is when there is some success.

Reaction Score
Wow. A fanboy on a fan page. Shocking.
And all along I thought it was a discussion board. I guess that explains the tenor of some posts and why the board seems divided between fanboys and analysts

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If he was so terrible at recruiting, were the guys he put in the NFL luck? RE was many things, but identifying talent was not an issue outside the qb spot.

Reaction Score
Just give me a team with a pulse. One that shows competency and fight on an FBS level. For too long we've been every school's punching bag and a national laughing stock. With CR swirling around again we've got to be better than a mediocre FCS-level school.

I'll be there at the Rent as usual this year. Hoping Mora can take this roster and give this team some teeth. Just give us reason to hope again. Something that will not only actually keep whatever fans are there in their seats, but dare I say, bring more fans back to the Rent again.

So give me a team with some fight, and yes, a few wins would be gravy.

Reaction Score
If he was so terrible at recruiting, were the guys he put in the NFL luck? RE was many things, but identifying talent was not an issue outside the qb spot.
Yeah right, just because he could identify talented players didn’t mean he could get them to come to UConn or Maryland, and he being Mr Personality couldn’t, he was terrible at it. I can count on one hand the number of big recruits that signed with UConn because of Edsall, and even there I wonder if it was Orlando, Ambrose, or Moorehead who sealed the deal, and the mid Atlantic and tri state area’s were chock full of 3, 4 and 5 star kids. Because he and his first assistants at UConn were so good at identifying talent Uconn got many under the radar players, and he was also very good at developing those players into guys the NFL might want. He was even accused of creating “a negative atmosphere” at Maryland and by some in his 2nd stint at UConn.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Yeah right, just because he could identify talented players didn’t mean he could get them to come to UConn or Maryland, and he being Mr Personality couldn’t, he was terrible at it. I can count on one hand the number of big recruits that signed with UConn because of Edsall, and even there I wonder if it was Orlando, Ambrose, or Moorehead who sealed the deal, and the mid Atlantic and tri state area’s were chock full of 3, 4 and 5 star kids. Because he and his first assistants at UConn were so good at identifying talent Uconn got many under the radar players, and he was also very good at developing those players into guys the NFL might want. He was even accused of creating “a negative atmosphere” at Maryland and by some in his 2nd stint at UConn.
Well....kinda. There was a certain kind of kid who found edsall's style appealing. Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer of that kind of kid out there. He never evolved with the game...or the kids. He was stubborn and stuck in his ways. It caught up with him.

While Mora is only a few years younger than edsall, he approaches today's landscape like a coach 20 years younger. That has been one of his best qualities... evolving and staying relevant with kids today.

Reaction Score
And all along I thought it was a discussion board. I guess that explains the tenor of some posts and why the board seems divided between fanboys and analysts

Uh huh.

Reaction Score
Recruiting was very good last year before the season started. Made more so by coming off a year of not playing.

Reaction Score
Edsel was a little like Sage Allen, still a pretty good store, but perceived as a place you'd go to buy a girdle. Once you get that rep and people stop buying girdles, it is tough to recover.

And there are those of us who are like “wth is Sage Allen”? And we just move on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom