2022 Season Preview | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022 Season Preview

Reaction Score
Definitely better. How much better in terms of wins depends on how quickly the offense gels. D gonna be a lot better. I think much more athletic. Really more talent on both sides of the ball. Gotta finally get our blocking straightened out and find our starting QB. To guess it would be at least 4 wins. But let's get the first win and go from there.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I feel Mora and his staff adds 3 wins just being on the field vs what pranced out there since RE1 left.
I think 5-7 wins is a lot but doable.
If this team starts winning it changes chemistry and the bad juju is going to fade away
How many years of 1-11, 2-10 can kids take?

Reaction Score
One of the better write ups I have seen for a preview and of course that is not saying much for this subject.
Very little in it to argue with at this point in time. And those scores would actually represent a modest improvement over last year. I particularly liked the point about consistency. So very true. Almost every outstanding play UConn made last year was pretty much cancelled by a cringe worthy moment. A lot of CT dentists got rich on the BY'ers last year.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The schedule is more difficult than last year overall because there are less games you could say: we could/should win this. However:

last year's team was poorly coached and that change alone will make a different looking team. I think the talent level has ticked up a little bit- nothing earthshattering but team unity is important, and it sounds like they finally have that.

Reiterating others, the OL and QB play will dictate where we wind up. To me Roberson is the leader going into summer camp. I hope the play in that position is better and that the OL is more competent and can at least hold its own. To me, not holding my breathe on 3rd and 1 will be an improvement.

Reaction Score

“Per article DISCLAIMER: “This is not a preseason 131 ranking of teams going into the season. Instead, this ranking takes into account where we project teams to finish after the national championship in January. Athlon Sports projects where every team will finish in the final rankings at the conclusion of the upcoming season”

-> 129. UConn - The Huskies are just 4-32 over their last three seasons (did not play in 2020), and with a ’22 slate featuring four Power 5 opponents along with tough matchups against Utah State, Fresno State, Liberty and Army, there’s no easy fix for new coach Jim Mora. New play-caller Nick Charlton inherits an offense that averaged 15.8 points a game last season and only 4.04 yards per snap. Two transfers – Cale Millen (Northern Arizona) and Ta’Quan Roberson (Penn State) – are the front-runners to start at quarterback. If the staff can solidify the line (40 sacks allowed in ’21), and the quarterback play is better, UConn has capable skill talent to generate overall improvement. Nathan Carter (578 yards) and junior college transfer Will Knight anchor the backfield, with Keelan Marion, Cameron Ross, Nigel Fitzgerald and Kevens Clercius headlining a solid receiving corps. The Huskies allowed 38.5 points a game and finished ’21 by giving up 40-plus points to each of their last four opponents. Replacing lineman Travis Jones won’t be easy, but Mora and coordinator Lou Spanos added a couple of talented transfers – including former Kentucky linebacker Marquez Bembry – to give the defense a boost. The return of linebacker Jackson Mitchell (120 tackles) is another reason of optimism for UConn this fall. <-

Reaction Score

“Per article DISCLAIMER: “This is not a preseason 131 ranking of teams going into the season. Instead, this ranking takes into account where we project teams to finish after the national championship in January. Athlon Sports projects where every team will finish in the final rankings at the conclusion of the upcoming season”

-> 129. UConn - The Huskies are just 4-32 over their last three seasons (did not play in 2020), and with a ’22 slate featuring four Power 5 opponents along with tough matchups against Utah State, Fresno State, Liberty and Army, there’s no easy fix for new coach Jim Mora. New play-caller Nick Charlton inherits an offense that averaged 15.8 points a game last season and only 4.04 yards per snap. Two transfers – Cale Millen (Northern Arizona) and Ta’Quan Roberson (Penn State) – are the front-runners to start at quarterback. If the staff can solidify the line (40 sacks allowed in ’21), and the quarterback play is better, UConn has capable skill talent to generate overall improvement. Nathan Carter (578 yards) and junior college transfer Will Knight anchor the backfield, with Keelan Marion, Cameron Ross, Nigel Fitzgerald and Kevens Clercius headlining a solid receiving corps. The Huskies allowed 38.5 points a game and finished ’21 by giving up 40-plus points to each of their last four opponents. Replacing lineman Travis Jones won’t be easy, but Mora and coordinator Lou Spanos added a couple of talented transfers – including former Kentucky linebacker Marquez Bembry – to give the defense a boost. The return of linebacker Jackson Mitchell (120 tackles) is another reason of optimism for UConn this fall. <-

Let the outrage flow forth and the flames begin as I say that, taking an analyst's view, this is probably an OK assessment. No place to go but up. No mention of Zion Turner's arrival or the graduation of Ryan Van Demark, but that's OK, I think their assessment still holds until further data show otherwise.

I think that a realistic analyst's goal for this year would be three wins and an end of year ranking higher than 115. Stretch goals of four wins and ranking higher than 100. Fanboy territory would be five wins or higher, which is fine. It's a big tent.

Reaction Score

bulletin board material

Reaction Score
More bulletin board material.. I can't stand hearing guys/critics who are being brutally honest but probably can't play even half as good the sport our players play... Come young Kings, please please shut these guys up.... let's get 5 to 6 wins....

Reaction Score
O-line, Defensive tackle and QB. Have to be good at those positions. We know we have receivers, running backs, D-backs and LB's as well as some experience at edge rush that can get the job done.

Reaction Score
When a team doesn't have a lot of coverage, a lot gets missed. Pretty much anything not by a UConn analyst will suck because they don't really recognize... anything

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Idk where else to put this but at least someone in Vegas thinks we’re going to be drastically improved:

Reaction Score
I’m calling an upset over Cuse as well
If they want it bad enough. Of course have to see if they have the capabilities they lacked last year vs Wyoming and Vandy.

Reaction Score
If they want it bad enough. Of course have to see if they have the capabilities they lacked last year vs Wyoming and Vandy.
I think Cuse will drastically underestimate us like Illinois did in ‘19. Our improved depth early in the season will end up being enough to pull off a W in front of a (relatively) full Rent

Reaction Score

The schedule is more difficult. Still, with the changes in the program I have a hard time believing we will end up right where we left off.

Reaction Score
I can’t blame the writers or anyone who casts negatively on UConn. Every team tries to improve each year. Every team is all in or if you expect them to say differently? Every team has new energy every year. Until UConn shows it, the assessments are totally fair. I might be naïve but I am high on Charlton.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We can beat Central, FIU and UMass and still exceed expectations.

Reaction Score
I can’t blame the writers or anyone who casts negatively on UConn. Every team tries to improve each year. Every team is all in or if you expect them to say differently? Every team has new energy every year. Until UConn shows it, the assessments are totally fair. I might be naïve but I am high on Charlton.
Just one small point. Those who pick UConn to win fewer games than many of us are usually not casting negativity on the program. Rather, most of the time they are just trying to make an honest assessment.

For instance, in the engineering profession, one is taught to rigorously see something from the outside in, taking care not to let how one would like things to be influence you, but to be brutally honest with oneself. Thus you may find many here with engineering backgrounds as well as others, not quite so high in their predictions for the program after a decade of results that are less than desired. It does not mean that we are not cautiously optimistic. Only that we are trying to be brutally honest.

Reaction Score
Just one small point. Those who pick UConn to win fewer games than many of us are usually not casting negativity on the program. Rather, most of the time they are just trying to make an honest assessment.

For instance, in the engineering profession, one is taught to rigorously see something from the outside in, taking care not to let how one would like things to be influence you, but to be brutally honest with oneself. Thus you may find many here with engineering backgrounds as well as others, not quite so high in their predictions for the program after a decade of results that are less than desired. It does not mean that we are not cautiously optimistic. Only that we are trying to be brutally honest.

I always find it interesting that engineers think they are the only people on earth who have critical thinking as their default mode.

You seem to be critiquing assessments here and giving the incomplete and out of date assessments on these click bait articles a pass. Maybe you should attempt some brutal honesty.

Reaction Score
I always find it interesting that engineers think they are the only people on earth who have critical thinking as their default mode.

You seem to be critiquing assessments here and giving the incomplete and out of date assessments on these click bait articles a pass. Maybe you should attempt some brutal honesty.
You will have to explain. Incomplete and out of date click bait articles? Are you saying that some of the left out information should materially change their assessment? That UConn at 129 or whatever is totally inaccurate? Please explain.

Reaction Score
You will have to explain. Incomplete and out of date click bait articles? Are you saying that some of the left out information should materially change their assessment? That UConn at 129 or whatever is totally inaccurate? Please explain.

I shouldn’t have to. If you were actually thinking critically then you would have already noticed it.

Notice how they cherry pick talent at certain positions? Glazing over or ignoring the fact that the roster has had huge turnover since last season? It’s hardly even the same team.

My favorite was from “Vegas Insider” where they said Jim Mora teams give up after getting off to tough starts. As if somehow UConn today had the same lofty as UCLA.

So pretty please, with a cherry on top. Quit pretending that you are the only one here thinking critically. Because all you are doing is taking lazy, out of date and incomplete assessments at face value.

All this team needs to do is win 3-4 games to exceed expectations and there is nothing unreasonable about that.

Reaction Score
I guess that my point is that you have no data that say it won't turn out the way those guys predict -- one win and 129th. The two best players are gone from a 1-11 team. There has been huge turnover, and that MIGHT be a good thing or it might not be, you don't know. Neither do I. I am on record several times now predicting 3 wins. But it is probably more likely to be 2 wins than 4 to be quite frank. The situation is exactly what is was in the fortnight leading up to Fresno State when people were screaming about bigger stronger faster. Making all these predictions of going to bowls and how much UConn was gonna win by. Then we saw their two deep and compared it to UConn's and it slowly began to dawn on the UConn faithful. Not gonna be a cake walk. Thats fine. As I said, it's a big tent. But those who predict otherwise are not casting negativity or shade. They are merely making a considered prediction.

Btw, 3 wins would be a solid accomplishment this year. A bar at that height is not too low. And if 3-9 actually happens, we should all be grateful and say the turnaround has begun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom