2022-23 Coaches Openings | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Coaches Openings

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There's no way people haven't been aware of Smesko for years now. He's stayed there long enough that it makes me wonder if he wants to stay there. He's had the results that should've opened a door to moving to a bigger program already.

Okay, I looked him up on wiki. He's been there since 2002. The school moved up to D1 in 2007. He's had 6 30 win seasons at the D1 level and now has 4 wins in the Tourney.
For the conference level he is being treated well by FGCU - reported salary of $315,000 last year. He's 52 and has been there for 20 years. Sometimes it isn't all about the money, life style and family and community are important factors, too.

I am sure he has had offers - he has a .824 win percentage.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I know Dawn Plitzuweit is catching flack for leaving WVU after only 1 year but I would say 2 things:
1. Her 5 year contract was $3 mil at WVU, while her new Minnesota salary is 6 years at $800k per year. That’s a pretty big jump
2. After 6 years at South Dakota, she had built up quite a network of grass roots recruiting she can now tap again as Minn is in that region where as WVU was not.
As far a Karl Smesko, he has seen his salary jump from $185K in 2013 to the $315k now but most good mid-Major schools pay $350-450K s year. Considering that most P5 schools can offer $600K or more I think Karl is looking to stay in his region of the country. To me, UCF may be an opportunity in a Couple of years if they don’t improve int the Big12, Clemson should open up if they have another down year and heck, Nell Fortner might have to think about retiring sooner rather than later so the Georgia Tech job could open up soon as well. Florida just hired their coach officially last year so that could take a couple of more years to play out. The point is why move from a nice location especially to Big 10 country if you don’t have to.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I know Dawn Plitzuweit is catching flack for leaving WVU after only 1 year but I would say 2 things:
1. Her 5 year contract was $3 mil at WVU, while her new Minnesota salary is 6 years at $800k per year. That’s a pretty big jump
2. After 6 years at South Dakota, she had built up quite a network of grass roots recruiting she can now tap again as Minn is in that region where as WVU was not.
As far a Karl Smesko, he has seen his salary jump from $185K in 2013 to the $315k now but most good mid-Major schools pay $350-450K s year. Considering that most P5 schools can offer $600K or more I think Karl is looking to stay in his region of the country. To me, UCF may be an opportunity in a Couple of years if they don’t improve int the Big12, Clemson should open up if they have another down year and heck, Nell Fortner might have to think about retiring sooner rather than later so the Georgia Tech job could open up soon as well. Florida just hired their coach officially last year so that could take a couple of more years to play out. The point is why move from a nice location especially to Big 10 country if you don’t have to.
He may just want to stay there. Or so I've always heard.

I always remember Kevin Borseth. Huge success at Green Bay, went to Michigan, had modest success, and returned to Green Bay. His comment - no time for his golf game at Michigan. Wasn't his cup of tea. Yes, I know he's a bit odd, but still makes perfect sense.

Reaction Score

Providence hires Erin Batth as the new head coach. Was an assistant at Michigan this season after spending four years with NC State

Dang - the AC position at Michigan is a revolving door. Good for development, bad for maintaining some semblance of consistency.

Reaction Score

I think the flack is more about the timing of the hiring. It was announced a few hours after losing in the tournament.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dang - the AC position at Michigan is a revolving door. Good for development, bad for maintaining some semblance of consistency.
Yes. Spend a few years and head to Miami of Ohio, Harvard and now Providence.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I was a bit surprised Sac. St. was his first head coaching gig. His name had come up several times previously for higher profile schools. Didn't take him long to move up. TCU is a big rebuild, but so was his last job. With Texas and Oklahoma leaving soon, Baylor not what it was under Mulkey, Iowa St. maybe losing it's all time best player, several new schools coming in, Big 12 is in a bit of a state of flux and it might provide him an opportunity to turn them around sooner than later.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I was a bit surprised Sac. St. was his first head coaching gig. His name had come up several times previously for higher profile schools. Didn't take him long to move up. TCU is a big rebuild, but so was his last job. With Texas and Oklahoma leaving soon, Baylor not what it was under Mulkey, Iowa St. maybe losing it's all time best player, several new schools coming in, Big 12 is in a bit of a state of flux and it might provide him an opportunity to turn them around sooner than later.
I don't quite know what to think about this hire. It has nothing to do with Mark Campbell, who did a great job getting Sacramento State back on its feet. However, he is a complete West Coast guy, through and through, and now he's going to Texas.
And Texas knows Texas. Will Campbell be able to get in right and tight with the Texas HS and AAU coaches after all those years on the Left Coast?

Wonder if Kamie Ethridge was ever involved in these discussions, given her Capital T background and the fact that she may have reached her ceiling at Washington State. Thought she would've been a natural.

On the other hand, maybe Kamie is happy at WSU. And the TCU Athletic Director will have a bit of patience, figuring it's going to take anyone a few years to rebuild that program, so he might as well go (relatively) young. And if TCU will supply the resources to the program, we'll see ....

Reaction Score
I don't quite know what to think about this hire. It has nothing to do with Mark Campbell, who did a great job getting Sacramento State back on its feet. However, he is a complete West Coast guy, through and through, and now he's going to Texas.
And Texas knows Texas. Will Campbell be able to get in right and tight with the Texas HS and AAU coaches after all those years on the Left Coast?

Wonder if Kamie Ethridge was ever involved in these discussions, given her Capital T background and the fact that she may have reached her ceiling at Washington State. Thought she would've been a natural.

On the other hand, maybe Kamie is happy at WSU. And the TCU Athletic Director will have a bit of patience, figuring it's going to take anyone a few years to rebuild that program, so he might as well go (relatively) young. And if TCU will supply the resources to the program, we'll see ....
And some people said he was not ready yet which might be the case. I think he will eventually circle fully back at Oregon at some point if he has any great success at TCU. Maybe after Graves retires in a few years. He is a big West Coast guy like you said.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Interesting development on the WVU front

Ok, had a wacky thought during my afternoon walk. Joanna Bernabei-McNamee, the current BC head coach, is a native of West Virginia and prior to taking the Albany job, all of her experience was in the area, including stints as an assistant coach at West Virginia. There's been too many puffs of smoke (key players leaving with years of eligibility left) to not wonder a bit.

In spite of all that, she's been moderately successful and, once again, she might be a HC who will be happy to stay in Morgantown, much like Mike Carey did.

Just a passing...welll, walking...thought. ;)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, had a wacky thought during my afternoon walk. Joanna Bernabei-McNamee, the current BC head coach, is a native of West Virginia and prior to taking the Albany job, all of her experience was in the area, including stints as an assistant coach at West Virginia. There's been too many puffs of smoke (key players leaving with years of eligibility left) to not wonder a bit.

In spite of all that, she's been moderately successful and, once again, she might be a HC who will be happy to stay in Morgantown, much like Mike Carey did.

Just a passing...welll, walking...thought. ;)
She also coached at Maryland under Brenda. To me, she needs to look at other opportunities while she is garnering interest as her latest results at BC are not so great. Add in the fact she has lost some good players to the transfer portal, something seems a bit amiss to me. She just completed season 5 and I haven't seen any mention of an extension given to her. Curious to see how this plays out.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Well....Memphis just announced that Coach Merriweather is taking a job at another institution. So, she'll no longer be involved with whatever fallout there is for the Tigers from the post-game incident with Bowling Green. Just where is she going?

Cincinnati, her alma mater. Memphis women's basketball coach Katrina Merriweather expected to be hired at Cincinnati

Dillon77

Reaction Score
So, after a look at Raoul's coaching tracker, the openings at schools in conferences we regularly follow are still open (listed in the order they opened up).

• Pittsburgh (3/5: Lance White out)
  • Xavier (3/6. Melanie Moore leaves)
  • Georgetown (3/13: James Howard out)
  • Michigan State (3/13. Suzy Merchant leaves)
  • West Virginia (3/18. Dawn Plitzuweit leaves for Minnesota position, taking all three assistants with her).

With the transfer portal now open and official visits able to start up after the NCAA Final Four, it might seem time for schools to get a move on. The only coach of a school still active that I've seen mentioned for these jobs is Robyn Fralick of Bowling Green, who I've seen listed as a "coach-of-interest" for the Mich. State position. But more than a few others -- Tricia Cullop of Toledo, Tony Verdi of Massachusetts and Megan Duffy of Marquette, to name a few -- have completed their seasons.

Personally, I see Fralick as an up-and-comer who won the two D-II titles at Ashland before heading to Bowling Green. Her salary shouldn't be an issue for any of these schools and I could see her at MSU and/or Pitt.

Duffy, my fellow ND alum, is bit of a wild card for me. She's from Dayton, Ohio and has worked at Miami (of Ohio) and Michigan, while playing at Notre Dame (Indiana) and coaching at Marquette (Wisconsin), so she knows the region. However, she already makes more at Marquette than the Pitt job was paying and the Pitt program needs some serious refurbishing.

Michigan State probably can meet resource demands but does she want to go head-to-head with her true coaching mentor, Kim Barnes Arrico? Are these the fits she's looking for? And, as a few have pointed out here and on The Bench, she still has work at Marquette. However, I think can do a very good job in the B1G if she chooses to go in that direction.

Any ideas from the 'yard?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom