2022-23 Coaches Openings | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Coaches Openings

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Robyn Fralick is a coaching wizard
Good get for MSU.
I watched both her championship games at Ashland and the teams were upbeat and collected.
Watched Bowling Green versus Columbia and thought they were well-coached and kept close to Columbia, who have three players who can play P-5 ball just about anywhere. Fralick attacked Columbia's weakness (no inside paint presence on defense) and had some nice inside-out plays for three-pointers.

To the best of my knowledge, Michigan State has only lost one player to the portal so far (Ekh, whom Fralick should call IMHO), so she'll have a chance to state her case and mission to remaining players.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
So, after a look at Raoul's coaching tracker, the openings at schools in conferences we regularly follow are still open (listed in the order they opened up).

• Pittsburgh (3/5: Lance White out)
  • Xavier (3/6. Melanie Moore leaves)
  • Georgetown (3/13: James Howard out)
  • Michigan State (3/13. Suzy Merchant leaves). Hired Robyn Fralick from Bowling Green on 3/31
  • West Virginia (3/18. Dawn Plitzuweit leaves for Minnesota position, taking all three assistants with her).

With the transfer portal now open and official visits able to start up after the NCAA Final Four, it might seem time for schools to get a move on. The only coach of a school still active that I've seen mentioned for these jobs is Robyn Fralick of Bowling Green, who I've seen listed as a "coach-of-interest" for the Mich. State position. But more than a few others -- Tricia Cullop of Toledo, Tony Verdi of Massachusetts and Megan Duffy of Marquette, to name a few -- have completed their seasons and have interviewed at Pitt.

Personally, I see Fralick as an up-and-comer who won the two D-II titles at Ashland before heading to Bowling Green. Her salary shouldn't be an issue for any of these schools and I could see her at MSU and/or Pitt.

Duffy, my fellow ND alum, is bit of a wild card for me. She's from Dayton, Ohio and has worked at Miami (of Ohio) and Michigan, while playing at Notre Dame (Indiana) and coaching at Marquette (Wisconsin), so she knows the region. However, she already makes more at Marquette than the Pitt job was paying and the Pitt program needs some serious refurbishing.
So, one down of these five. Maybe some interviews are taking place over the weekend in Dallas?
Pitt interviewed a number of folks in early- to mid-March. Are they reaching out further? On second or third go-rounds?
Who knows in what direction West Virginia will go and there are two Big East programs open. Official visits can start a few days after the NCAA Final, so teams shouldn't wait too long.

Reaction Score
So, one down of these five. Maybe some interviews are taking place over the weekend in Dallas?
Pitt interviewed a number of folks in early- to mid-March. Are they reaching out further? On second or third go-rounds?
Who knows in what direction West Virginia will go and there are two Big East programs open. Official visits can start a few days after the NCAA Final, so teams shouldn't wait too long.
My hope is that Pitt is waiting for Megan Griffith.

If not, with nine players in the portal, I’d question what is taking so long.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
My hope is that Pitt is waiting for Megan Griffith.

If not, with nine players in the portal, I’d question what is taking so long.
Whoa. Do you think Griffith would take on the challenge?
If so, she should bring Kaitlyn Davis with her (she's in the portal).

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Tory Verdi, he of the 202-153 coaching record in the A10? I am not thinking this is such a great hire for Pitt if it actually happens. In 12 years of coaching he has won 1 Conference regular season title (tied this year), never won a Conference Tournament title and went to 1 NCAAT last year. If he hasn't dominated in the mid-Majors, how is he supposed to win in a P6?

Color me very skeptical. :oops:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

@Plebe This aint good for your Lumberjacks :oops: ( i can't recall if they were the Lady Lumberjacks or not)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

@Plebe This aint good for your Lumberjacks :oops: ( i can't recall if they were the Lady Lumberjacks or not)

1680575844395.png

Was probably only a matter of time till he got poached.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Apparently NOW, Karl Smesko's name is at the top of the list and has been offered the position.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If you were Smesko, is that the job you would leave FGCU for? I have to think he's had better opportunities previously.

Reaction Score
If you were Smesko, is that the job you would leave FGCU for? I have to think he's had better opportunities previously.
He has made a mark at FGCU. If the story is true, you'd have to think money could be a factor or maybe he thinks he has maxed out what he can do in Florida. Either way, seems like it would be a good move for Pitt.

Reaction Score
It’s probably the closest, or among the closest, Power 5 school to his hometown.

That’s the only reason I can think of:D

Dillon77

Reaction Score
WOW! So the WVA WBB student athletes are left without a coach/leader/mentor? This must be so painful for them.
Not for (that) long:

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Status check since this last post:

• Pittsburgh (3/5: Lance White out) Karl Smesko? Maybe?
  • Xavier (3/6. Melanie Moore leaves) Billi Chambers In
  • Michigan State (3/13. Suzy Merchant leaves) Robyn Fralick In.
  • West Virginia (3/18. Dawn Plitzuweit leaves for Minnesota position, taking all three assistants with her). Mark Kellog In.
So, wait to see if Smesko signs on the dotted line at Pitt and see where G'Town goes.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Looks like Karl Smesko decided he liked the beach, more.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Status check as of April 7:

• Pittsburgh (3/5: Lance White out) Karl Smesko? Maybe? Nope...Tory Verdi
  • West Virginia (3/18. Dawn Plitzuweit leaves for Minnesota position, taking all three assistants with her). Mark Kellog In.
Georgetown...you're on the clock!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Status check as of April 7:

• Pittsburgh (3/5: Lance White out) Karl Smesko? Maybe? Nope...Tory Verdi
Georgetown...you're on the clock!
Georgetown AD- “Dillion what are you talking about, I hired Ed Cooley a few weeks ago”. Dillon-“I was referring to your Women’s team head coach”…Georgetown AD- “We have a women’s team?”…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom