2022-23 Coaches Openings | The Boneyard

2022-23 Coaches Openings

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks. I thought we had a thread on Coaching Hot Seats, which was being used.

However, if the board wants to go from theoretical to practical.....or combine them?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Thanks. I thought we had a thread on Coaching Hot Seats, which was being used.

However, if the board wants to go from theoretical to practical.....or combine them?
I created this thread to encompass all D1 coaching changes, as the P5+BE was more theoretical vs actual.

Reaction Score
That North Florida coaching job could be interesting.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not a huge surprise considering their record, but Lindsay Whalen is stepping down.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

It seemed -- to me, at least -- that the clock really began ticking when Sara Scalia, a homegrown in-state kid and leading scorer on the team, transferred to a conference rival -- Indiana -- after last season.

I would think that the next coach will have head coaching experience.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a native of Minnesota, my heart goes out to Coach Whalen. Things just did not turn out like she wanted it too and like many of us were hoping that it would develop into something. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I wish her all the best.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

I posted this over on the "theoretical board," but now that his departure is fact, thought I'd tag my thoughts on possible 'next ups" here.

Here are some ideas for that Pittsburgh HC slot. I'd recommend going with a coach with head-coaching experience who understands the whole program-concept. Plus, while Pittsburgh is in Pennsylvania, that's southwestern Pa., with a lot of outreach to the Midwestern states. With that in mind:
  • Robin Fralick, 4th year at Bowling Green (Mid-American Conference) who are currently 24-4. You might also remember her for winning two D-2 championships at Ashland. I'd think this would be at least, a "must-interview."
  • Kristin Gillespie, 5th year at Illinois State in the Missouri Valley. She's had winning records every year for the Cardinals and they're currently 21-7. Has a strong ACC connection in that she played point guard for Kay Yow at NC State. Ditto for the interview.
  • Todd Starkey, in his 7th year at Kent State (Mid-American) and currently has a 19-8 record. Already the 3rd-winningest coach in school history with 101 victories, Starkey has led the Golden Flashes to three Postseason WNIT appearances and two Mid-American Conference East Division titles. Was at Lenoir-Rhyne prior to Kent State.
  • Brady Sallee, 11th year at Ball State (Mid-American), which is currently 23-6. Sallee, is the only head coach in program history to take the Cardinals to seven WNITs. He is also the program's winningest coach with 183 victories. Sallee is known for playing whomever he thinks will work best at the moment and I saw instances of that against Notre Dame. Should be ready for the challenge. And...
  • Beth Cunningham, 1st year at Missouri State (19-8) in Missouri Valley. Probably too early, but you never know. Has had a good year, after coming to program relatively late. Had extensive previous head coaching experience at VCU, then was associate head coach under Muffet McGraw for 8 years, before spending two years with Kara Lawson at Duke. Knows the ACC very well.

Reaction Score
I Think Pitt Firing Lance White Is One Of The Best Decisions Heather Lyke Has Made In Her Tenure

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This guy is well connected to Pitt.. Despite being a Chapel Hill homer

Dillon77

Reaction Score
This guy is well connected to Pitt.. Despite being a Chapel Hill homer

Good pedigree. While she's only in her second year at GW, she did a great job at Stony Brook which is not exactly a hotbed of women's hoops (I grew up next to it). Also, has roots in eastern Ohio (Youngstown State grad) before assistant coaching gigs at Northwestern, Auburn and Pitt, where she coached Shavante Zellous.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
So, will Kamie Ethridge, head coach of Pac-12 Tournament Champion Washington State Cougars, be a hot commodity once the coaching carousel ramps up? I think she might be. The Cougars are senior-dominated and it might not getting any better than it is.

Ethridge is, of course a UT/Texas legend and while Vic is not going anywhere, the TCU position is open and maybe Ethridge wants to get back to the Lone Star State. Sure she has many, many contacts there for recruiting purposes.

But if she's used to the cold (she was in Northern Colorado prior to Pullman), maybe Minnesota can come calling? While she doesn't have the recruiting contacts established, she can rely on her international connections to bridge the gap.

Keep track of Kamie after the NCAA's.....

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Xaver WBB coach out. Twitter links not working ...
1678122526476.png

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Four-year record in the Big East of 16-60.

Least surprising move of the off-season.

Step up Xavier.
I'm old enough to remember when Xavier was good at women's basketball. I saw Melanie Balcomb's name earlier in this thread. She became Xavier's head coach in 1995 when Xavier was part of the A10. In 1998-1999 her Xavier team made the NCAA tournament and almost (should have) upset UConn at Gampel in the 2nd round. The Huskies made a ferocious comeback to win on Tamika Williams's free throws in the waning seconds of the game. Xavier's Nikki Kremer was really good. In 2001, also under Coach Balcomb, Xavier upset Tennessee in the Sweet 16 but then lost to Purdue in the Elite 8.

McGuff took over beginning in the 2002 season (Balcomb moved on to Vanderbilt). He led Xavier to the Elite 8 in 2009-2010 before suffering a heartbreaking loss to Stanford when Dee Dee Jernigan missed 2 wide open layups in the waning seconds of a tie game. McGuff left Xavier for Washington after the 2010-11 season.

Since then, Xavier has been coached by Amy Waugh, Brian Neal and Melanie Moore.

Butler made a very good hire last year; it's past-time for Xavier to do the same.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Clark-Heard came to Cincy after a solid run at Western Kentucky. If memory holds, she got off to a pretty good start and then just got mired in mediocrity, as the nearly .500 record indicates. Cincinnati AD Cunningham noted investments and new opportunity in the Big-12 next season.

Since Cincy will now, via this move, a P5 team, this could be a step up for a mid-major team, which is why I think of the same person at the top of my list for the Pitt job.
  • Robin Fralick, 4th year at Bowling Green (Mid-American Conference) who are currently 24-4. You might also remember her for winning two D-2 championships at Ashland. I'd think this would be at least, a "must-interview."
With her Ashland background, this might make even more sense ....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Two openings in the city of Cincinnati.

In men's basketball I'd say Xavier is the better job. Probably a wash in women's basketball. Xavier has a more successful history but it was several years ago.

Xavier has a better arena.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Providence. Another Big East school (hopefully) wanting to be better.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So, just as a reminder, Michele Clark-Heard's best success was with Jamelle's recruits and she did horrible with her own....interesting....

:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom