2022-23 Coaches Openings | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Coaches Openings

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Figured this was coming. The Big South is a stepping stone for up and coming coaches. Last year Longwood and SC-Upstate had the best seasons in recent memory, and their coaches were swiped up by St Louis and Buffalo. This year its Gardner-Webb. I have NO idea what the Big South will look like next season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Or maybe he liked winning 25-30 games per year.
I don't know...he strikes me as a guy who would take on a challenge...and the $$$ offered to Verdi is pretty darn good.
That said, enjoy the beach and the winning, Karl. ;)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Figured this was coming. The Big South is a stepping stone for up and coming coaches. Last year Longwood and SC-Upstate had the best seasons in recent memory, and their coaches were swiped up by St Louis and Buffalo. This year its Gardner-Webb. I have NO idea what the Big South will look like next season.
I think she will be a real good head coach.

Reaction Score
If there is a coaching changes thread outside of this one I couldn't find it so I'm just going to post this here. One of our assistants of 8 seasons, Fred Chmiel, has been hired by Bowling Green State as their HC. Gonna miss him here for sure.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I know many take his tweets with a grain of salt so take it for what it is…

But….

When i went to Arizona roster the 23-24 roster had update coaches and all are in fact no longer listed

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I know many take his tweets with a grain of salt so take it for what it is…

But….

When i went to Arizona roster the 23-24 roster had update coaches and all are in fact no longer listed

It was in the local paper and I mentioned it in a thread a couple days back. As I noted, our contact in the athletic department said that assistant coaches were an issue, the inside perception was she needed an experienced assistant coach to help manage playing time and expectation issues. So not sure (exactly) how this transpired.

Assistant Coaches have been an issue, largely been young and inexperienced former players who have (often) moved on to better positions. However, Bret Shelby is the name I think, has been on staff in one of those misc. support roles, and she is actually an experienced assistant from a number of P5 programs. So could be one of the new ones???

Reaction Score

Interesting change of direction if true.

I know Kristin Haynie! I have worked many summer camps with her over the past few years, Michigan State, Minnesota, EMU, and her own basketball camp. Solid basketball mind. The key, especially for any new coaches like Haynie, is having some talent that is on the roster now and having some kind of vision of what type of program you want it to look like in year one, two, and three. By year four, if you have been developing the talent that you are able to get on the roster and that talent makes your vision, things should be okay. I wish Coach Haynie all the best. I will have to dust off my coaching resume.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well Duke has another opening for an assistant coach, because Aleah Goodman is going back to Corvallis!

Seriously...what is going on at Duke? All that success last season has caused just about everybody to leave, coaches and players both. Something ain't right. Sorry @triaddukefan .

Reaction Score
Well Duke has another opening for an assistant coach, because Aleah Goodman is going back to Corvallis!

Seriously...what is going on at Duke? All that success last season has caused just about everybody to leave, coaches and players both. Something ain't right. Sorry @triaddukefan .
I don't really think anything is going on at Duke. Goodman was not an asst coach, so this move is an upgrade for her. Gandy is young and wants to be a head coach and best practice is to work under a variety of head coaches. Pretty sure SC pays way better, too. With the exception of one, not a single transfer was a surprise. Shy didnt fit the system, Shay never played, and Jordyn wanted to play more and start. I do think Jordyn jumped in the portal prematurely. However, Lawson doesn't strike me as someone who is going to make promises about playing time, so this is where things are. I'm actually pretty content with the changes as long as we get a pg in the portal. I think if the '24 class doesn't work out, then maybe I'll be concerned.

Reaction Score
I don't really think anything is going on at Duke. Goodman was not an asst coach, so this move is an upgrade for her. Gandy is young and wants to be a head coach and best practice is to work under a variety of head coaches. Pretty sure SC pays way better, too. With the exception of one, not a single transfer was a surprise. Shy didnt fit the system, Shay never played, and Jordyn wanted to play more and start. I do think Jordyn jumped in the portal prematurely. However, Lawson doesn't strike me as someone who is going to make promises about playing time, so this is where things are. I'm actually pretty content with the changes as long as we get a pg in the portal. I think if the '24 class doesn't work out, then maybe I'll be concerned.
I agree. Coaching churn happens more frequently than we think. Michigan has gone through a fair bit of assistant coaches over the past few years. The post coach changed at least 3 times in the past few years when Toyelle Wilson got the job at SMU. Baath just landed the job at Providence this year. It hasn't affected their ability to be competitive. Too early to say how this impacts Duke, if at all.

Reaction Score
Aleah Goodman returning to Oregon State is great news! Aleah will be a head coach someday, and is an all-time favorite with BEAVER NATION! Aleah will also be a HUGE plus for OSU WBB recruiting.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

73464962.jpg

I couldn't have said it any better. Hindsight is 20/20, but Oliver bailed too soon. Taylor leaving was a gut punch. I don't think the other two transfers will hurt. My blood pressure is fine..... For now.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I guess the Corvallis to Durham pipeline has dried up. I wish the young lady well. I was thinking a few weeks ago, if we could have somehow snuck her into a game, we would have advanced further in the tournament :oops:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom