Update on the campus master plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Mr. Wonderful said:
I doubt the voracity of this claim.

If you've been on campus you've seen my work. If you live in CT you've seen my work. Believe whatever you want. Your stupid is on you.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I'm a lifelong resident, and I live with a municipal official who also devoted almost his entire professional career to the university. So when people say idiotic things, I reserve the right to get a little peeved. You can save your sarcasm. At least you guys know that you're yahoos.

"Supposedly a functioning municipality" -- you care not one iota about the actual functioning of the municipality. All you (and anyone else posting here) care about is the university. Not saying that's a bad thing. You don't live in Storrs, you live in another municipality and hopefully you're politically active there. But the posts about "these yokels don't know what's best for them" are just hilarious. Nobody here gives a rat's @$$ about what's best for the people of Storrs. In fact, I think if a poll were conducted, then the majority here would believe that forcing town residents at gunpoint to build the hockey arena and an on-campus football stadium themselves like the slaves of the Exodus would be "best for them".

Ok, thanks for explaining your situation, it makes it more understandable.

As for "care not one iota..." you're dead wrong. Off the top of my head, I've seen the PRM have a hand in shooting down:
1) The on-campus football stadium (for better or worse)
2) The original tech park (north campus)
3) Pfizer near horsebarn hill

...just rattling them off. These actions have materially changed the future of UConn, and thus the state, for the worse. The hockey rink is even worse, because it would tear down the frankly dated eyesore mansfield apartments, and provide a needed (contractually and figuratively) facility for a sport that I hold dear. It's a win-win in just about every regard, including most reasonable Mansfield reasoning, so the opposition is head-scratching...

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
If you've been on campus you've seen my work. If you live in CT you've seen my work. Believe whatever you want. Your stupid is on you.
I still think you're full of sh!!t.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Mr. Wonderful said:
I still think you're full of sh!!t.

I'm not surprised. It's easier to clean off sh!!t than it is stupid.

Reaction Score
News flash: the university can and will build the hockey arena on the intended site. Any opposition by municipal government is purely symbolic. This is just an exercise in whipping up a frenzy of hatred. And hey, whatever helps you guys cope.

The comparison to University Park, PA is deeply flawed. No private residents live in University Park, whereas in Storrs, people live on privately held land. Not all land in Storrs is owned by the university. If you doubt this, PM me and I'll show you the deed of the house I'm sitting in.

If you actually followed town politics, the hillbillies are not the "active fringe", but I can see none of you actually care to have that explained. Just be lucky that the university isn't located in Willington, Ashford, or Chaplin.

I fully expect that more that 7% of Mansfield Residents are behind UConn because they understand that if UConn thrives, Mansfield thrives. All they have to do is look down the hill at Willimantic for an Eastern CT that refuses to accept reality. Its just the <25% loud who think somehow that the last 30 years of development at UConn is going to be unwound and they can all go back tot he sleepy, suitcase, regional university with less than 10K students on campus. My own peeve against Mansfield is from my time there getting harassed by Mansfield PD every weekend and the fact that the town collected all parking ticket violations at the time (still true today?) and it was nearly an impossible process for as student to appeal and win (they loved telling folks in the Spring that they were booked and then only offered appeal times in June & July when, of course, everyone was home).

Mansfield is not the only one where University growth causes an uproar. BC has am mess on it's hands trying to develop the old Archdiocese land they bought across the street from the main campus a couple of years back. Locals complain that the and can't be developed because they want it open to walk their dogs, picnic, etc., even though it was private land before and they were technically trespassing. The best is when locals in Brighton and Newton complain that students living off-campus are taking over their neighborhoods and causing rents to rise. So, when BC announces plans to build more dorms on-campus, the other the same people complain that landlords are not going to be able to make a living after all of the students move back on campus.

Reaction Score
I stated this a month or more ago ... and LET ME SAY - I do know what I am talking about - the University does not have to go through Mansfield. It was done "as a courtesy" in the 1980s on Celeron Square (which is on a University groundlease). The University is pushing forward with a NEW authority to do things on their land.

You can throw bricks at each other for awhile. But ... this dysfunctional situation did eventually lead to the University (in the Herbst administration) seeking to do this is a more Institutional manner. I would opine that the Hockey facility is part of this - for sure. And, more importantly, new housing and the new buildings for the Tech Corridor.

Reaction Score
Ok, thanks for explaining your situation, it makes it more understandable.

As for "care not one iota..." you're dead wrong. Off the top of my head, I've seen the PRM have a hand in shooting down:
1) The on-campus football stadium (for better or worse)

There was a rumor that the lead group against the on-campus football stadium in Storrs, I think it was the 'Concerned Taxpayers of Mansfield' or something like that, rented-out a local restaurant and threw themselves a party after the on-campus stadium push died. It w as in the local papers at the time. I am sure that did not win over many fans within the University.

Reaction Score
I fully expect that more that 7% of Mansfield Residents are behind UConn because they understand that if UConn thrives, Mansfield thrives. All they have to do is look down the hill at Willimantic for an Eastern CT that refuses to accept reality. Its just the <25% loud who think somehow that the last 30 years of development at UConn is going to be unwound and they can all go back tot he sleepy, suitcase, regional university with less than 10K students on campus. My own peeve against Mansfield is from my time there getting harassed by Mansfield PD every weekend and the fact that the town collected all parking ticket violations at the time (still true today?) and it was nearly an impossible process for as student to appeal and win (they loved telling folks in the Spring that they were booked and then only offered appeal times in June & July when, of course, everyone was home).

Mansfield is not the only one where University growth causes an uproar. BC has am mess on it's hands trying to develop the old Archdiocese land they bought across the street from the main campus a couple of years back. Locals complain that the and can't be developed because they want it open to walk their dogs, picnic, etc., even though it was private land before and they were technically trespassing. The best is when locals in Brighton and Newton complain that students living off-campus are taking over their neighborhoods and causing rents to rise. So, when BC announces plans to build more dorms on-campus, the other the same people complain that landlords are not going to be able to make a living after all of the students move back on campus.

There is a Mayor of Boston WHITE PAPER you can google whereby the City is pushing hard for new Student Housing all over the nearby campuses - 18,000 new beds. They believe that this creates new workforce housing for the lower middle & lower class Bostonians & will reduce rents. Provides safe secure housing for students as well - after a decade of some horrid incidents.

Reaction Score
News flash: the university can and will build the hockey arena on the intended site. Any opposition by municipal government is purely symbolic. This is just an exercise in whipping up a frenzy of hatred. And hey, whatever helps you guys cope.

The comparison to University Park, PA is deeply flawed. No private residents live in University Park, whereas in Storrs, people live on privately held land. Not all land in Storrs is owned by the university. If you doubt this, PM me and I'll show you the deed of the house I'm sitting in.

If you actually followed town politics, the hillbillies are not the "active fringe", but I can see none of you actually care to have that explained. Just be lucky that the university isn't located in Willington, Ashford, or Chaplin.

I think you are wrong to imply that the vocal minority in town have no power. I seriously researched a small business venture in storrs before the center started construction. I attended several town meetings and read every page of minutes for several years. An important piece of why I did not move forward was the influential, lunatic fringe. I believe economic development is dampened by the protestation of your fellow townspeople.

Reaction Score
There is a Mayor of Boston WHITE PAPER you can google whereby the City is pushing hard for new Student Housing all over the nearby campuses - 18,000 new beds. They believe that this creates new workforce housing for the lower middle & lower class Bostonians & will reduce rents. Provides safe secure housing for students as well - after a decade of some horrid incidents.
This goes along with their new (and ridiculous) law that no more than four students can live in a single apartment in city limits, no matter how many actual legitimate bedrooms are in the apartment. Five-bedroom apartment? Only can have four students. They want more on-campus housing here also to lay more of the onus on the universities and university PDs when the kids do stupid stuff.

Mansfield residents wanting a say in whether a 40K+ football stadium is built in their backyard makes sense. Emphasis on wanting a say, not having the power to singularly torpedo the whole thing. Mansfield residents wanting a say on a 6K hockey arena, 20%+ of which would be made up of student tickets, is much more ridiculous.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I think you are wrong to imply that the vocal minority in town have no power. I seriously researched a small business venture in storrs before the center started construction. I attended several town meetings and read every page of minutes for several years. An important piece of why I did not move forward was the influential, lunatic fringe. I believe economic development is dampened by the protestation of your fellow townspeople.

The vocal always have power. It's up to the elected leaders to distinguish between the informed vocal and the selfish vocal to act in the communities best interest. A 50k seat FB stadium that would create an entirely new world for three months a year and involve a billion dollars in infrastructure construction is a valid concern. As much as I'm a believer that campus>>off-campus, you can't always fit a square peg into a round hole. UConn draws a lot of it's strength from west of the river. E. Hartford was probably the right choice factoring everything. They do need to finish the development around the Rent and build something worthwhile.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This goes along with their new (and ridiculous) law that no more than four students can live in a single apartment in city limits, no matter how many actual legitimate bedrooms are in the apartment. Five-bedroom apartment? Only can have four students. They want more on-campus housing here also to lay more of the onus on the universities and university PDs when the kids do stupid stuff.

Mansfield residents wanting a say in whether a 40K+ football stadium is built in their backyard makes sense. Emphasis on wanting a say, not having the power to singularly torpedo the whole thing. Mansfield residents wanting a say on a 6K hockey arena, 20%+ of which would be made up of student tickets, is much more ridiculous.
I have no problem with the locals having their say, they absolutely should have that opportunity. Giving it a whole lot of weight, particularly when it is uniformly NIMBY, is what doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with the locals having their say, they absolutely should have that opportunity. Giving it a whole lot of weight, particularly when it is uniformly NIMBY, is what doesn't make sense.
That's fair. Especially depending on whose land it's going on. Reasonable requests should be heard and considered. Unilateral opposition because they don't like living near a university should not.

Reaction Score

FYI - "Grouper" laws (no more than 4 in a unit) are very common - in my experience - in many towns & cities. Boston, for instance, felt that this was a major issue they wanted to address with the new Mayor. They (*UConn) are going to build more housing; but, you are going to see an explosion of NEW Private student housing. Tis the season of lots of Capital.

Reaction Score
I'm a lifelong resident, and I live with a municipal official who also devoted almost his entire professional career to the university. So when people say idiotic things, I reserve the right to get a little peeved. You can save your sarcasm. At least you guys know that you're yahoos.

"Supposedly a functioning municipality" -- you care not one iota about the actual functioning of the municipality. All you (and anyone else posting here) care about is the university. Not saying that's a bad thing. You don't live in Storrs, you live in another municipality and hopefully you're politically active there. But the posts about "these yokels don't know what's best for them" are just hilarious. Nobody here gives a rat's @$$ about what's best for the people of Storrs. In fact, I think if a poll were conducted, then the majority here would believe that forcing town residents at gunpoint to build the hockey arena and an on-campus football stadium themselves like the slaves of the Exodus would be "best for them".

Lets not kid ourselves, Mansfield is completely unimportant - its should do and needs to do whatever is best for the university. Period. End of Story. Whats best for the university has huge implications for our state both economically and socially. If the university wants to build a hockey and/or football stadium at a specific location on campus then the Mansfield yokels should have no say and just go ahead with it. Its in their best interest for the university to grow and prosper.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I'm heading up to Storrs in a few minutes to see Les Mis with my wife at Jorgensen.
For chits and giggles I decided to Google Maps the campus and check in on how it looks.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/U...0x89e68a3643139a29:0xeee0e97c22979299!6m1!1e1

Curiously the UCMB practice field image changed from the old one which had Big East markings on it to the new one that has nothing.
Perhaps UCONN didn't want to waste the money with AAC garbage knowing to wait and spend the money on a new conference?

Anywho, I'll be at the Bidwell bar with my wife from 11:30 - 12:30 enjoying some beers and grub to pre-game the play I am being dragged to.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm heading up to Storrs in a few minutes to see Les Mis with my wife at Jorgensen.
For chits and giggles I decided to Google Maps the campus and check in on how it looks.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/U...0x89e68a3643139a29:0xeee0e97c22979299!6m1!1e1

Curiously the UCMB practice field image changed from the old one which had Big East markings on it to the new one that has nothing.
Perhaps UCONN didn't want to waste the money with AAC garbage knowing to wait and spend the money on a new conference?

Anywho, I'll be at the Bidwell bar with my wife from 11:30 - 12:30 enjoying some beers and grub to pre-game the play I am being dragged to.
No endzones. Are you sure that's not the football team's practice field?

I kid, I kid.

Reaction Score

Enjoy. I was interested to see that North hillside Road extension to US 44 is almost complete. Will that now serve as the new primary entrance to campus from the North? Looks like my old Bank of America is going to get bulldozed by it, LOL. Also, look at all of that open farmland that can now be turned into additional dorms, STEM research facilities, and maybe an on-campus football stadium (just kidding?).

Reaction Score
I did some Google Earthing on that North Hillside Road (not much else going on here).

Why was that a road to nowhere, since at least '91? By that I mean that it looks like the original plan was for it to be completed. And why were cars parked there?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I did some Google Earthing on that North Hillside Road (not much else going on here). Why was that a road to nowhere, since at least '91? By that I mean that it looks like the original plan was for it to be completed.
Rumor is a local kid with pitch fork in hand occupied the space to fight off any sign of potential progress. If not "Occupy Empty Mansfield Field", his mom made him run stairs. ;)

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
There was a rumor that the lead group against the on-campus football stadium in Storrs, I think it was the 'Concerned Taxpayers of Mansfield' or something like that, rented-out a local restaurant and threw themselves a party after the on-campus stadium push died. It w as in the local papers at the time. I am sure that did not win over many fans within the University.

Any time I see "Concerned Taxpayers of .... " I want to vomit. Our local collection of chuckle heads lost a $250,000 grant for a new high school baseball stadium... and then when the funds dried up largely because of their idiocy they were all up in arms that the money 'disappeared.' Our high school team plays it's games about 7 miles away from the high school at what amounts to a little league field. They were going to build the new stadium in a park the town already owns right across the street from the high school.

I love how these morons can actually believe that we are both the richest country on earth, and that we don't have the money to pay for ANYTHING... at the same time. Our local idiots have really hurt the school district over the last decade. We've had a population boom, but we haven't been able to build new schools, or expand existing ones. Meanwhile they had to close down two of them because of major issues with the buildings. Woo hoo!

I'm moving now largely because the schools have gotten A LOT worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom