Update on the campus master plan | The Boneyard

Update on the campus master plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If they want to connect 44 to Hillside Road, why didn't they just build Storrs Center over there? It seems weird to have to drive all the way across Storrs and be on the outskirts of the campus to be in "Storrs Center."

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
1. Storrs Center has two phases left I think, could possibly have been a land issue?

2. Whoever is doing this needs to make sure there is still a solid plot of land to eventually return the stadium to campus. Doesn't matter if it's 40 years from now when were talking about this it should happen eventually.

3. Still need to figure out a way to widen main roads/possibly build a "Husky Way" from 84 to campus. If possible I'd love to see the entrance to campus actually moved to Horsebarn Hill Road in between East and the Ag buildings. Would divert traffic to either side of campus and the approach is beautiful with Wilbur Cross sitting on top of that hill.

4. Can't wait to see where the new hockey arena/possible new basketball arena would be.

5. They need to work with whoever they can to keep cleaning up that area by CVS and Cumberland Farms and make it look like a real college town. Put a fast food chain and a Target in there where the nightclub used to be and all of a sudden you've got something.

6. Still think Storrs center needs an "anchor" tenant of some sort. Two screen movie theatre anyone?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Just bulldoze Arjona and Montieth already - then move on from there...

I had a few classes in those decrepit old geysers and they were awful back then...they've got to be MUCH worse now!

Dooley

Reaction Score
Would love to see an on-campus football stadium. Build it near Horsebarn Hill overlooking the fall landscape and really capture the picturesque setting of New England football. 60K on-campus stadium would be excellent. Build like an English Premier League soccer stadium with covered stands but open-air field to accommodate our cranky, fair-weathered (literally) fanbase.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I had a few classes in those decrepit old geysers and they were awful back then...they've got to be MUCH worse now!

They actually just upgraded Arjona on the inside, it was closed for all of last year. It's a pretty nice building on the inside now but still looks bad from the outside.

Dooley

Reaction Score
They actually just upgraded Arjona on the inside, it was closed for all of last year. It's a pretty nice building on the inside now but still looks bad from the outside.

GOOD.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

As a Freshman, half our classes where there. Too big, bad acoustics...but the worst was crossing the mud-pit between them and the old Co-op. It would suck boots and shoes right off of people's feet. At least they fixed that.

Campus is already so much nicer than it was in my time. I hope they keep some character though, and don't make it too sterile.

Reaction Score
As a Freshman, half our classes where there. Too big, bad acoustics...but the worst was crossing the mud-pit between them and the old Co-op. It would suck boots and shoes right off of people's feet. At least they fixed that.

Campus is already so much nicer than it was in my time. I hope they keep some character though, and don't make it too sterile.
I guess Arjona and Monteith have some character. :confused:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I was a Poli Sci major. The department headquarters is in Monteith. Depressing. Many of my friends were engineers and had lots of classes in CUE. Some others were business majors and had most of their classes in the business school. I had most of mine in the halls of beautiful Monteith.

Reaction Score

Again? They rehabbed it in the mid 1990's.

Reaction Score
I was a Poli Sci major. The department headquarters is in Monteith. Depressing. Many of my friends were engineers and had lots of classes in CUE. Some others were business majors and had most of their classes in the business school. I had most of mine in the halls of beautiful Monteith.

I was a business major in the old business school and it was a dump in the mid 1990's. Great faculty, horrible building. Elevator was a crap shoot (luckily I was in good shape then), a/c never worked. No A/V tech.

Reaction Score
1. Storrs Center has two phases left I think, could possibly have been a land issue?

2. Whoever is doing this needs to make sure there is still a solid plot of land to eventually return the stadium to campus. Doesn't matter if it's 40 years from now when were talking about this it should happen eventually.

3. Still need to figure out a way to widen main roads/possibly build a "Husky Way" from 84 to campus. If possible I'd love to see the entrance to campus actually moved to Horsebarn Hill Road in between East and the Ag buildings. Would divert traffic to either side of campus and the approach is beautiful with Wilbur Cross sitting on top of that hill.

4. Can't wait to see where the new hockey arena/possible new basketball arena would be.

5. They need to work with whoever they can to keep cleaning up that area by CVS and Cumberland Farms and make it look like a real college town. Put a fast food chain and a Target in there where the nightclub used to be and all of a sudden you've got something.

6. Still think Storrs center needs an "anchor" tenant of some sort. Two screen movie the lawre anyone?

There have been several attempts to widen and/or make Route 6 into a highway (was supposed to be to original route for I-84 between Hartford and Providence); but, none have been successful due to cost and environment issues. I doubt that will ever change.

As for the (hopefully) new basketball/ice hockey center, part of me says to put it right where Gampel is today in the middle of campus. But, if they could build it over in Storrs Center surrounded by bars, restaurants, and a hotel (already voted down by Mansfield), they could make it a very active and attractive part of the campus/community.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

AS 55?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I'm curious how they'll connect 44 to Hillside, since there is, you know, houses in the way, including mine.

Reaction Score
There have been several attempts to widen and/or make Route 6 into a highway (was supposed to be to original route for I-84 between Hartford and Providence); but, none have been successful due to cost and environment issues. I doubt that will ever change.

As for the (hopefully) new basketball/ice hockey center, part of me says to put it right where Gampel is today in the middle of campus. But, if they could build it over in Storrs Center surrounded by bars, restaurants, and a hotel (already voted down by Mansfield), they could make it a very active and attractive part of the campus/community.
Don't be surprised if the new student rec center and new hockey facility go on the X lot property they recentlt bought, and Hillside is shut down to vehicular traffic from Calhoun Way to Glenbrook Rd. From the little I have heard from my friends at UCFD the sheer volume of pedestrian traffic in that area of campus may force this issue.

Reaction Score
Is it confirmed that a new arena, at least for hockey, is a definite?
Yeah like Butch said it is the next project the Athletic Dept will build. It is a condition of being a member of HE.

Reaction Score
FDNY99 said:
Don't be surprised if the new student rec center and new hockey facility go on the X lot property they recentlt bought, and Hillside is shut down to vehicular traffic from Calhoun Way to Glenbrook Rd. From the little I have heard from my friends at UCFD the sheer volume of pedestrian traffic in that area of campus may force this issue.

This is exactly what I've heard from folks in Storrs. There well be no more cars at the intersection where Gampel and the Co Op are which is frankly long over due.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom