Update on the campus master plan | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Update on the campus master plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Also what's happening with the hockey arena? Last I heard they wanted to put it at Mansfield Appts but the town of Mansfield opposed because of a reservoir nearby or something?

Still up in the air as of March. Town of Mansfield is opposed to building it at the intersection of Rte 195 and S Eagleville Rd where the Mansfield Apartments currently reside. No surprise there.

http://dailycampus.com/location-new-uconn-hockey-arena-still-question/

This is good reading with respect to Mansfield's thoughts on UConn's master plan.

http://www.mansfieldct.gov/filestorage/1904/5335/1912/20150126_packet.pdf

Bet on Mansfield politicians banning together with Hartford politicians to keep UConn hockey at the XL in Hartford? It happened before when UConn's 50K football stadium was supposed to be build between the Jungle/North Campus and US 44.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
After reading the minutes I'm convinced that we are dealing with Hooterville. Sam Drucker uses his time to ask the mayor to demand an apology from the town manager and wish Mrs Wassmund a happy birthday and Fred Ziffel points out that being a parent requires sacrifices. he only one missing was Haney with his truck, as I am confident someone in Mansfield owns a pig that is far more intelligent than of them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ironically, Mansfield's call for the University to "look forward, not backwards" is actually Mansfield asking the University to stand completely still. Moving the hockey rink is the least of it.

It's a ridiculous group of people.

Reaction Score
I'm an architect, and I've delt with local P&Z commissions for decades. Once had a large hyper cool sports complex w/ indoor softball up before a P&Z hearing. We argued that we needed relief from a height restriction for the softball field. I cited a college thesis from a local well respected liberal arts college that detailed the flight of a batted ball. The commissioner actually asked me what grade did the thesis writer get. Yeah, local yocals.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Still up in the air as of March. Town of Mansfield is opposed to building it at the intersection of Rte 195 and S Eagleville Rd where the Mansfield Apartments currently reside. No surprise there.

http://dailycampus.com/location-new-uconn-hockey-arena-still-question/

This is good reading with respect to Mansfield's thoughts on UConn's master plan.

http://www.mansfieldct.gov/filestorage/1904/5335/1912/20150126_packet.pdf

Bet on Mansfield politicians banning together with Hartford politicians to keep UConn hockey at the XL in Hartford? It happened before when UConn's 50K football stadium was supposed to be build between the Jungle/North Campus and US 44.

After reading the minutes attached I can officially conclude that the people on this board are full of . They address concerns over traffic and then state they don't support the paving of new entry ways into campus. Also I know nothing about this so I might be wrong but what exactly does said moss sanctuary provide for the area? And why can't the area by horsebarn hill be pursued for development? It seems like the university has come up with some pretty good ideas and then when they suggest solutions to the "problems" the committee brings up they get immediately shot down

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Duncan Idaho said:
I remember getting stoned and watching Disney's "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" with some friends in that place. It turned me on to classical music, which I still enjoy today.
Me too. Was an amazing movie to watch altered, and the only one I remember from college.

Reaction Score
After reading the minutes attached I can officially conclude that the people on this board are full of . They address concerns over traffic and then state they don't support the paving of new entry ways into campus. Also I know nothing about this so I might be wrong but what exactly does said moss sanctuary provide for the area? And why can't the area by horsebarn hill be pursued for development? It seems like the university has come up with some pretty good ideas and then when they suggest solutions to the "problems" the committee brings up they get immediately shot down

Is the same town in the '90's when I was there that complained that UConn students were walking down the N Eagleville Rd all night long between campus and Celeron and Carriage House and yet refused to allow UConn to put in sidewalks saying that the alterative path that ran behind the sewage treatment path, which was widely know as the 'Rape Trail" was suitable. I know the sidewalk finally went in; but, I think it was another decade after I left before that happened.

Any chance CT can carve out 'Storrs' from Mansfield and make it its own town/administrative area? I believe that Penn State is entirely inside of 'University Park' PA and not in State College PA. Some public oversight is needed with respect to campus expansion, such as traffic mitigation and water management; but, trying to get UConn to 'build more farms' for the land that has been taken away is almost hilarious.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Typical short term thinking by those in Mansfield who still think it is the 1950's instead of 2010's. People who think they are more important than they truly are.

Reaction Score
Some of the local opposition was siting increased traffic as a point to oppose the new hockey arena at 275 and 195. So a 5000 seat arena was a problem but a 10267 seat arena for men's and women's hoop games presents no traffic problems? These smart Nimby's have no clothes and need to be ignored. Mansfield is a big town and the vast majority of it is seeing no change outside of the continual march of housing construction that goes on everywhere.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Some of the local opposition was siting increased traffic as a point to oppose the new hockey arena at 275 and 195. So a 5000 seat arena was a problem but a 10267 seat arena for men's and women's hoop games presents no traffic problems? These smart Nimby's have no clothes and need to be ignored. Mansfield is a big town and the vast majority of it is seeing no change outside of the continual march of housing construction that goes on everywhere.

As I said, the hockey building is really the least of it - Mansfield prefers that it be located closed to the middle of campus instead to the Mansfield Apartment site. I think it's actually better for local businesses if it's on South Eagleville instead of I-Lot, but the Mansfield group has never really been consistent with their complaints.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Typical short term thinking by those in Mansfield who still think it is the 1950's instead of 2010's. People who think they are more important than they truly are.

Exactly. UCPD should just evict all residents, set up a work camp for them somewhere in the Housatonic Valley, then raze the entire town.

Reaction Score
Exactly. UCPD should just evict all residents, set up a work camp for them somewhere in the Housatonic Valley, then raze the entire town.
Or the state could just enable Storrs as its own municipality so the university could ignore the crazy complaints and wishes of the active fringe, as the posters above seem to be advocating.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Fishy said:
As I said, the hockey building is really the least of it - Mansfield prefers that it be located closed to the middle of campus instead to the Mansfield Apartment site. I think it's actually better for local businesses if it's on South Eagleville instead of I-Lot, but the Mansfield group has never really been consistent with their complaints.

I read that comment. It is 100% the worst possible thing they could do. You don't take a land use that draws mostly vehicular traffic and put it in the center of a pedestrian based campus any more than you would park your own car in your living room.

Certainly not at UConn which has had a number of pedestrian fatalities over the years. What they should be doing is relocating the North and South garages to the outskirts of Campus and closing N. Eagleville to through traffic between Hillside and the chemistry building.

These crackpots from Mansfield haven't a clue as to what's best for them. It was doubly funny to hear the complaints about UConn reducing it's community funding programs. Wonder why that happened?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The moss sanctuary is :

1) university-owned (!)
2) named for a professor Moss, not for the plant :)

http://www.mansfieldct.gov/filestorage/1904/5357/moss_sanctuary.pdf

The people's republic of mansfield is just really really special.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Or the state could just enable Storrs as its own municipality so the university could ignore the crazy complaints and wishes of the active fringe, as the posters above seem to be advocating.

News flash: the university can and will build the hockey arena on the intended site. Any opposition by municipal government is purely symbolic. This is just an exercise in whipping up a frenzy of hatred. And hey, whatever helps you guys cope.

The comparison to University Park, PA is deeply flawed. No private residents live in University Park, whereas in Storrs, people live on privately held land. Not all land in Storrs is owned by the university. If you doubt this, PM me and I'll show you the deed of the house I'm sitting in.

If you actually followed town politics, the hillbillies are not the "active fringe", but I can see none of you actually care to have that explained. Just be lucky that the university isn't located in Willington, Ashford, or Chaplin.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
News flash: the university can and will build the hockey arena on the intended site. Any opposition by municipal government is purely symbolic. This is just an exercise in whipping up a frenzy of hatred. And hey, whatever helps you guys cope.

The comparison to University Park, PA is deeply flawed. No private residents live in University Park, whereas in Storrs, people live on privately held land. Not all land in Storrs is owned by the university. If you doubt this, PM me and I'll show you the deed of the house I'm sitting in.

If you actually followed town politics, the hillbillies are not the "active fringe", but I can see none of you actually care to have that explained. Just be lucky that the university isn't located in Willington, Ashford, or Chaplin.

Your opposition always confuses me. I get that you don't like the mob here badmouthing the fine people of Mansfield. However, your quote:

"Any opposition by municipal government is purely symbolic. This is just an exercise in whipping up a frenzy of hatred. And hey, whatever helps you guys cope."

...on which side? Is there not a collective anti-UConn group within the PRM? It goes both ways, and one group is a bunch of internet yahoos, the other is actually supposedly a functioning municipality.

Reaction Score

I think his comparison to Penn state is accurate if you assume that someone who lives literally next to a college is fine with college students and construction.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Your opposition always confuses me. I get that you don't like the mob here badmouthing the fine people of Mansfield. However, your quote:

"Any opposition by municipal government is purely symbolic. This is just an exercise in whipping up a frenzy of hatred. And hey, whatever helps you guys cope."

...on which side? Is there not a collective anti-UConn group within the PRM? It goes both ways, and one group is a bunch of internet yahoos, the other is actually supposedly a functioning municipality.

I'm a lifelong resident, and I live with a municipal official who also devoted almost his entire professional career to the university. So when people say idiotic things, I reserve the right to get a little peeved. You can save your sarcasm. At least you guys know that you're yahoos.

"Supposedly a functioning municipality" -- you care not one iota about the actual functioning of the municipality. All you (and anyone else posting here) care about is the university. Not saying that's a bad thing. You don't live in Storrs, you live in another municipality and hopefully you're politically active there. But the posts about "these yokels don't know what's best for them" are just hilarious. Nobody here gives a rat's @$$ about what's best for the people of Storrs. In fact, I think if a poll were conducted, then the majority here would believe that forcing town residents at gunpoint to build the hockey arena and an on-campus football stadium themselves like the slaves of the Exodus would be "best for them".

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Stairmaster said:

If the university wants to buy your house to build a dorm, they should be able to do it without the peanut gallery chiming in on how terrible UConn treats Mansfield.

I say this as a non-Alum, who has done business with both entities and has appeared before the hillbillies enough to know what I talking about.

You do have a certain portion of the community that IMHO is over represented in the local government who who like nothing better than for the U to remain stagnant or even recede it's footprint. You don't need to look past the most recent comments on the Master Plan to see it on full display.

The truth of the matter is that the U is one of the more important economic drivers for the State going forward. CT needs a highly educated and skilled workforce to compete against lower cost regions. Having a top 10 public university is a lynch pin for that plan.

What has always blown my mind is the lack of vision by Town leadership to understand they have what every local government wants, a diverse, younger skewing consumer base. The fact that anything close to Storrs Center took this long is an embarrassment to public administrators everywhere.

The reason no one lives in University Park (Not sure that's completely accurate, but whatever) is that Penn State bought everything inside that boundary decades ago. That exactly what UConn should be doing. For a school it's size and location it is unnecessarily squeezed.

Should they develop the Depot Campus, absolutely. But, that's not going to be a picnic either as you saw with the tech park. A tech park that was built partially because UConn promised to convert a significant portion of the Depot campus as compensatory farmland.

If you don't what your house bought through eminent domain, that's perfectly understandable. Just don't pretend it's smart from a planning perspective. The state's best interest is to build out to what they need for the number of students and research facilities they think they can attract.

Mansfield would do well to look at State College as a model. For being in the middle of nowhere is surprisingly modern and quaint at the same time. I'd also look at the surrounding towns to see what they look like in comparison for a clue to what Mansfield would look like without the U.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
If the university wants to buy your house to build a dorm, they should be able to do it without the peanut gallery chiming in on how terrible UConn treats Mansfield.

I say this as a non-Alum, who has done business with both entities and has appeared before the hillbillies enough to know what I talking about.

You do have a certain portion of the community that IMHO is over represented in the local government who who like nothing better than for the U to remain stagnant or even recede it's footprint. You don't need to look past the most recent comments on the Master Plan to see it on full display.

The truth of the matter is that the U is one of the more important economic drivers for the State going forward. CT needs a highly educated and skilled workforce to compete against lower cost regions. Having a top 10 public university is a lynch pin for that plan.

What has always blown my mind is the lack of vision by Town leadership to understand they have what every local government wants, a diverse, younger skewing consumer base. The fact that anything close to Storrs Center took this long is an embarrassment to public administrators everywhere.

The reason no one lives in University Park (Not sure that's completely accurate, but whatever) is that Penn State bought everything inside that boundary decades ago. That exactly what UConn should be doing. For a school it's size and location it is unnecessarily squeezed.

Should they develop the Depot Campus, absolutely. But, that's not going to be a picnic either as you saw with the tech park. A tech park that was built partially because UConn promised to convert a significant portion of the Depot campus as compensatory farmland.

If you don't what your house bought through eminent domain, that's perfectly understandable. Just don't pretend it's smart from a planning perspective. The state's best interest is to build out to what they need for the number of students and research facilities they think they can attract.

Mansfield would do well to look at State College as a model. For being in the middle of nowhere is surprisingly modern and quaint at the same time. I'd also look at the surrounding towns to see what they look like in comparison for a clue to what Mansfield would look like without the U.

I'm not stupid. I know that buying all of the private land in town and razing it would be best for the university. But it wouldn't be best for me because I enjoy living where I live. And I surmise that the same can be said for other residents. There's a difference between a NIMBY yokel and somebody who doesn't want to sell their land to the university.

As to your comment about over-representation, I can't argue that the law allowing any political party to have a maximum of 6 seats on the Town Council is outdated. The fact that there are three people who want to see Mansfield recede into the forest on the council is a personal embarrassment to myself as a voting resident. But those three people represent a miniscule fraction of the population -- they do not speak for the majority.

Then again, nobody here cares about that. "Screw all of them stupid hicks! Ra ra ra!"

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Stairmaster said:
I'm a lifelong resident, and I live with a municipal official who also devoted almost his entire professional career to the university. So when people say idiotic things, I reserve the right to get a little peeved. You can save your sarcasm. At least you guys know that you're yahoos.

"Supposedly a functioning municipality" -- you care not one iota about the actual functioning of the municipality. All you (and anyone else posting here) care about is the university. Not saying that's a bad thing. You don't live in Storrs, you live in another municipality and hopefully you're politically active there. But the posts about "these yokels don't know what's best for them" are just hilarious. Nobody here gives a rat's @$$ about what's best for the people of Storrs. In fact, I think if a poll were conducted, then the majority here would believe that forcing town residents at gunpoint to build the hockey arena and an on-campus football stadium themselves like the slaves of the Exodus would be "best for them".

The town has a legit beef about any FB stadium, especially a B1G one. It dominates life in the fall. A 4500 seat hockey rink and parking adjacent to a commercial district, that's manna from heaven as far as economic development goes.

I'm also a former local yokel in my locale and I can say this after over 10 years of yokelling, some of the locals are so yokel that you wish they were a lot less vocal, say 100% less vocal. Meaning serving on a local board is indicative of nothing other than a willingness to give up some of your time. There are some real specimens on these boards. I've met a few of yours and I can think of one in particular who is more problem than solution.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
The town has a legit beef about any FB stadium, especially a B1G one. It dominates life in the fall. A 4500 seat hockey rink and parking adjacent to a commercial district, that's manna from heaven as far as economic development goes.

I'm also a former local yokel in my locale and I can say this after over 10 years of yokelling, some of the locals are so yokel that you wish they were a lot less vocal, say 100% less vocal. Meaning serving on a local board is indicative of nothing other than a willingness to give up some of your time. There are some real specimens on these boards. I've met a few of yours and I can think of one in particular who is more problem than solution.

And the arena will be built -- the town has no legal right to the land. Whenever the university wants it done, it'll happen.

Believe me, I understand completely. I don't get to many council meetings, which is probably a good thing considering I'd probably start screaming at the people you're referring to. I hear enough about their shenanigans at the dinner table.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Stairmaster said:
I'm not stupid. I know that buying all of the private land in town and razing it would be best for the university. But it wouldn't be best for me because I enjoy living where I live. And I surmise that the same can be said for other residents. There's a difference between a NIMBY yokel and somebody who doesn't want to sell their land to the university.

As to your comment about over-representation, I can't argue that the law allowing any political party to have a maximum of 6 seats on the Town Council is outdated. The fact that there are three people who want to see Mansfield recede into the forest on the council is a personal embarrassment to myself as a voting resident. But those three people represent a miniscule fraction of the population -- they do not speak for the majority.

Then again, nobody here cares about that. "Screw all of them stupid hicks! Ra ra ra!"

So I don't understand your point other than you don't want to sell, naturally. And you admit to a subset of yahoos against any university action. I think that's all anyone is saying.

I don't think UConn is particularly interested in forcibly removing people though I could be wrong on that as administration's change. I do think they are willing to buy any available land abutting the campus, as they should.

My advice to the town has always been to manage that inevitability rather than fight until they lose all control, which they would. One legislative act establishing a university zone is all it would take to remove all of the Town leverage.

I would suggest in return for the UConn ceding the right of eminent domain that the Town create an overlay zone for future University uses and let the market take care of the rest. If you want to sell, sell. If not, then they can build elsewhere with some semblance of planning which hasn't happened to date.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Stairmaster said:
And the arena will be built -- the town has no legal right to the land. Whenever the university wants it done, it'll happen.

Believe me, I understand completely. I don't get to many council meetings, which is probably a good thing considering I'd probably start screaming at the people you're referring to. I hear enough about their shenanigans at the dinner table.

I also understand the State's rights to preempt local zoning. The U plays nice as a town and gown PR strategy. To date, the arrangement has hurt both the Town and the school.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I doubt the voracity of this claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69