Update on the campus master plan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Update on the campus master plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I'm curious how they'll connect 44 to Hillside, since there is, you know, houses in the way, including mine.

There are going to extend North Hillside beyond the Charter Oak Apartments. I think this has been approved by DEEP already.

Reaction Score
As a Freshman, half our classes where there. Too big, bad acoustics...but the worst was crossing the mud-pit between them and the old Co-op. It would suck boots and shoes right off of people's feet. At least they fixed that.

Campus is already so much nicer than it was in my time. I hope they keep some character though, and don't make it too sterile.

Having gone to UConn in the early 80's, I remember the Co-op mud pit field well. It was the subject of a classic Bedlam Hall comic strip from the Daily Campus. Someone discovers a hat in the mud, picks it up, and finds one of his friends underneath. Bedlam Hall very well captured the UConn of that time.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Don't be surprised if the new student rec center and new hockey facility go on the X lot property they recentlt bought, and Hillside is shut down to vehicular traffic from Calhoun Way to Glenbrook Rd. From the little I have heard from my friends at UCFD the sheer volume of pedestrian traffic in that area of campus may force this issue.

I think that is almost etched in stone.

Reaction Score
I think that is almost etched in stone.
My wife and I stayed at the Nathan Hale Inn in November. It was almost impossible to drive a car on Hillside between Calhoun Way and Glenbrook Rd with all the students walking. Same with Glenbrook on the back side of Jorgensen where they also use the crosswalk. They would be better off if they shut down Hillside from the parking garage to Calhoun Way all together except for emergency vehicles.

Reaction Score
I'm excited to hear about these changes. I know campus has already changed a ton since I graduated in 2010. I was back later in 2010, but haven't been back since. It's so hard to believe it's changed so much but I'll understand when I get back!

Reaction Score
Mr. Wonderful said:
I'm curious how they'll connect 44 to Hillside, since there is, you know, houses in the way, including mine.

I think the answer is simple. Bull doze the houses.

Reaction Score
I'm excited to hear about these changes. I know campus has already changed a ton since I graduated in 2010. I was back later in 2010, but haven't been back since. It's so hard to believe it's changed so much but I'll understand when I get back!

Since 2010? You guys were spoiled.

If I hadn’t been to campus several times in the last few years, I would get lost trying to figure things out since I graduated in the mid 90’s. The was a building boom in Storrs in the 70’s because of the surge in enrollment due to the baby boomers; but, little was added from the 80’s through the mid 90’s. I think only Gampel, Sherman Field, the Dodd archive center, and Babbridge Library (and then rebuilt several times) was built during that 15 year period. Alumni and McMahon were considered the nicest dorm complexes (Hilltop was nice, too, lots of singles; but, it was a hike, especially in the winter). Old South was knocked down and was still an empty field when I left. My favorite was the student weight room when I was in Storrs. It was a smelly cage under an old section of bleachers in Greer Fieldhouse.

Reaction Score

If I hadn’t been to campus several times in the last few years, I would get lost trying to figure things out since I graduated in the mid 90’s. The was a building boom in Storrs in the 70’s because of the surge in enrollment due to the baby boomers; but, little was added from the 80’s through the mid 90’s. I think only Gampel, Sherman Field, the Dodd archive center, and Babbridge Library (and then rebuilt several times) was built during that 15 year period. Alumni and McMahon were considered the nicest dorm complexes (Hilltop was nice, too, lots of singles; but, it was a hike, especially in the winter). Old South was knocked down and was still an empty field when I left. My favorite was the student weight room when I was in Storrs. It was a smelly cage under an old section of bleachers in Greer Fieldhouse.

The campus probably bottomed out in 1994. The construction boom started the following year with the new chemistry building, updates to Towers and the new student gym in the Field House. Students graduating in the late 80's through about 1995 really got the worst of it in terms of decaying infrastructure and outdated facilities.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Isn't that the place where they used to run fundraising smutos?
The what?

It was the stadium style class room annex behind Montieth. I had maybe 6 or 8 class there over my 4 years on campus.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yeah, I agree. All college kids are now spoiled. One of the reasons it cost much more than it should is that these facilities are much too lavish. In the mid 80s it never seemed unpleasant, and none of us were uncomfortable. College shouldn't be luxurious.

Also, I find it strange that Hilltop gets tons of foot traffic now, it was the edge of campus and nobody went up there except residents back in my day. South, West and Alumni were the most popular dorm complexes (location and in the case of south, abundance of females). But because the small dorms had a much different dining model, it really depended on whether you were more a small dorm or big dorm person. I thought he family dining system in the small dorms was tremendous for meeting people and making friends.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Husky25 said:
The what? It was the stadium style class room annex behind Montieth. I had maybe 6 or 8 class there over my 4 years on campus.

That is such an odd building.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Wood hall. Beach hall. Now those were gems. Have they been refurbed yet? Exteriors were nice and very New England, but interiors? Woof! I was there from 96 - 2000.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Wood hall. Beach hall. Now those were gems. Have they been refurbed yet? Exteriors were nice and very New England, but interiors? Woof! I was there from 96 - 2000.
Don't forget Hall Dorm. That was a peach.

Hey who still remembers their UConn e-mail address for the mainframe? (Initials)95001@uconn.universityofconnecticut.storrs.edu (or something to that effect).

I also remember when Fraternity Row still existed, Northwest was called Frats, and North was The Jungle, SBA was across the street from the library and the Library was covered in a Hefty Bag. Also our student ID had our SS# right on it, which was used for EVERYTHING. Not the last four digits, but all nine numbers.

Incidentally, how was the administration able to revert students back to calling them by their directional names? Did RADerek threat to write you guys up?

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Mr. Wonderful said:

There are no houses in the way. Its going right between the banks across from the supermarket.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree. All college kids are now spoiled. One of the reasons it cost much more than it should is that these facilities are much too lavish. In the mid 80s it never seemed unpleasant, and none of us were uncomfortable. College shouldn't be luxurious.
I agree, but you don't want to be the last college that has merely an adequate gym / rec center. Unfortunately, it's an arms race, and colleges don't want to take the chance on losing out on admissions due to amenities.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree, but you don't want to be the last college that has merely an adequate gym / rec center. Unfortunately, it's an arms race, and colleges don't want to take the chance on losing out on admissions due to amenities.

Yep, that is what happened for sure. Federal money drove a lot of it, and allowed tuitions to escalate to fund country-club campuses. I certainly recall that the general perception when I went to college was that you expected your living conditions to be worse than it was at home. It set your expectations for the crappy apartment you would likely have after college.

It's funny how kids don't get that wakeup call anymore. Hell, just watch "House Hunters" and you see people with some small monthly budget that are unable to contemplate a kitchen without grantite countertops.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I would bet 98% of college kids have smartphones. I have a pretty decent family income and only gave in on the smartphones last june.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Hall Dorm. That was a peach.

Hey who still remembers their UConn e-mail address for the mainframe? (Initials)95001@uconn.universityofconnecticut.storrs.edu (or something to that effect).

I also remember when Fraternity Row still existed, Northwest was called Frats, and North was The Jungle, SBA was across the street from the library and the Library was covered in a Hefty Bag. Also our student ID had our SS# right on it, which was used for EVERYTHING. Not the last four digits, but all nine numbers.

Incidentally, how was the administration able to revert students back to calling them by their directional names? Did RADerek threat to write you guys up?

I remember both the old UConn e-mail address, I think it had 'UConnVM' or something like that in the address and one could only access it from a few terminals around campus. I did get AOL my Senior year and everyone wanted to use my PC. I remember looking up my grades for various 101 classes listed on a huge piece of paper with everyone's SS # on it. Crazy.

Anyone remember the ROTC hangar? Spring weekend events. Add/Drop day with the old paper cards. The mass Meningitis vaccination my Sophomore year. Air Rifle Marksmanship my Senior year.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Math 105 was in the hanger. Algebra for business and finance.

Reaction Score
I remember both the old UConn e-mail address, I think it had 'UConnVM' or something like that in the address and one could only access it from a few terminals around campus. I did get AOL my Senior year and everyone wanted to use my PC. I remember looking up my grades for various 101 classes listed on a huge piece of paper with everyone's SS # on it. Crazy.

Anyone remember the ROTC hangar? Spring weekend events. Add/Drop day with the old paper cards. The mass Meningitis vaccination my Sophomore year. Air Rifle Marksmanship my Senior year.

In addition to Add/Drop with the old paper cards, they had all sorts of other events at the ROTC hanger. They would hold the Activities Fair every semester there, and I saw Eight To The Bar for the first time at ROTC.

When I first started going to UConn in 1978, the C0-op was in a little space attached to the Student Union building underneath the Commons attachment. The Co-op building next to the mud field opened around 1980 or 1981.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The what?

It was the stadium style class room annex behind Montieth. I had maybe 6 or 8 class there over my 4 years on campus.

Yeah, I saw Eraserhead there. And I just noticed p o r n o s gets auto-corrected to smutos. Say what?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
There are no houses in the way. Its going right between the banks across from the supermarket.
That's good to hear. BTW, the supermarket is now a dollar store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom