UConn Recruiting | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is it possibly someone from Europe whose commitment they are awaiting? Juste Jocyte, perhaps?
That would make me very, very happy. Juste could also be Class of 2025. Or maybe she has already become a paid pro. Neither is clear with her, but I'd love for her to be a Husky!! This would shock the world!

Reaction Score
I am still very disappointed about Jana's injury and even if UConn wins this season's NC, the only thing that will take away the sting for me would be for Strong to commit to UConn. I wanted to see Jana play with this season's team. I am a Golden, Golden Heart.
Jana's injury was in early summer, achilles tendon (correct?). Stewie had one and that one seemed to take
forever to heal. Go Jana! UCONN seems to be cautious about returning from injury..... We'll have to wait
and see. I'm assuming next year. (2024 -2025)

Reaction Score
I see that in CD's post game chat she expressed concern about our height.
I hope that suggests that whatever Sarah does we keep our eye on international
players for the class of 2025...or even a springtime commit in 2024. We have had
wonderful success with across-the-pond gets...keep 'em coming. No college has the inside
scoop over there like UConn and Geno....with his international success.
I share CD's concerns about our lack of size--I don't know whether a 4-guard set works in today's WBB, It once could but not today. We are smaller than we were last year and rebounding and interior defense challenged us. We certainly could have used Jana in the line up. Honestly, we have duplication at the point guard position--I don't see the need to play Paige and Nika together for significant minutes, maybe one or the other. I'd like to see a lineup that maybe features AE, Aubrey and Ice. Hopefully, Yanna isn't out for much longer. And those who are still holding the torch for Amari to make meaningful contribution, I think Geno has clearly shown us that she does not figure into his plans. Bottom line, we're going to need more size against the better teams...

Sure, our guards are great shooters but even if they were to shoot 50 percent from the arc, a team with good size and rebounders will shoot a higher percentage down on the block and with putbacks on offensive boards. Though our perimeter defense and press are stifling, it's asking a lot. of our guards... Edwards seems to be by herself inside. I hope we make some adjustments to our lineup.

I agree that getting size from the international arena probably is our best option--I hope we get some great bigs from our developed pipeline overseas quite soon.

Reaction Score
I share CD's concerns about our lack of size--I don't know whether a 4-guard set works in today's WBB, It once could but not today. We are smaller than we were last year and rebounding and interior defense challenged us. We certainly could have used Jana in the line up. Honestly, we have duplication at the point guard position--I don't see the need to play Paige and Nika together for significant minutes, maybe one or the other. I'd like to see a lineup that maybe features AE, Aubrey and Ice. Hopefully, Yanna isn't out for much longer. And those who are still holding the torch for Amari to make meaningful contribution, I think Geno has clearly shown us that she does not figure into his plans. Bottom line, we're going to need more size against the better teams...

Sure, our guards are great shooters but even if they were to shoot 50 percent from the arc, a team with good size and rebounders will shoot a higher percentage down on the block and with putbacks on offensive boards. Though our perimeter defense and press are stifling, it's asking a lot. of our guards... Edwards seems to be by herself inside. I hope we make some adjustments to our lineup.

I agree that getting size from the international arena probably is our best option--I hope we get some great bigs from our developed pipeline overseas quite soon.
While I’m also concerned about our size I think 4 guards set work better now than in the past. There simply aren’t a lot of elite teams with tons of size in their rotation. The only real national championship contenders that I can think of that will have size we can’t match up against are South Carolina and UCLA, fortunately we play both in the regular season so we can figure out how to work around it.

Reaction Score
Ugh. The “we need more size” chorus is tuning up again. Iowa didn’t need more size to get to the NC game last season. And LSU was scarcely bigger than we are now. Heck, we lost to tOSU who played a lineup with no one taller than 6’1” against us last season. Yes, our front court is thin. But we are tall enough because Aaliyah and Ice are quick and strong. That’s what matters.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Playing SC or UCLA UConn will have to contain their guards and force them to make their bigs make plays when being doubled down. Limiting their guards from scoring and forcing them to try to get the ball down low will handle it. Now how do their bigs stay out of foul trouble when UConn penetrates and dishes out?

Reaction Score
Playing SC or UCLA UConn will have to contain their guards and force them to make their bigs make plays when being doubled down. Limiting their guards from scoring and forcing them to try to get the ball down low will handle it. Now how do their bigs stay out of foul trouble when UConn penetrates and dishes out?
Fair question, but how do the UConn bigs stay out of trouble when UCLA guards penetrate and kick? Your recipe for stopping UCLA is probably UCLA’s plan for stopping UConn. I guess it will come down to execution….and officiating!!

Reaction Score
I'm excited with having Ice, but what happened against Dayton? Just a first game thing? She played 10 minutes and scored 3 points. At one point, Geno was giving her some strong feedback on the sidelines. I'm looking forward to seeing her play more and score more.

Reaction Score
Anyone have any recruiting speculation? No rumors about a Sarah Strong announcement?
Only indirectly related to Strong re LSU's NIL pricing - RUMOR ONLY

Reaction Score
Fair question, but how do the UConn bigs stay out of trouble when UCLA guards penetrate and kick? Your recipe for stopping UCLA is probably UCLA’s plan for stopping UConn. I guess it will come down to execution….and officiating!!
Well the difference is it’s UConns post players that will be driving. Having to guard Aaliyah (and hopefully Ice) 20 feet from the basket, really limits what Betts can do defensively. I don’t see Betts as a threat from the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Ugh. The “we need more size” chorus is tuning up again. Iowa didn’t need more size to get to the NC game last season. And LSU was scarcely bigger than we are now. Heck, we lost to tOSU who played a lineup with no one taller than 6’1” against us last season. Yes, our front court is thin. But we are tall enough because Aaliyah and Ice are quick and strong. That’s what matters.
Well, you can try to invalidate this concern by simply making it the same old song, but when a hall of fame coach echoes the same sentiment, perhaps that brings a certain degree of subject matter expertise and validity to the concern. Please listen to her post game comments on this subject...

And we lost to OSU because we couldn't get the ball up court, had far too many turnovers and played with a lack of continuity on offense. And if you'll look at the game again, McMahon was vastly supreme to any of our interior bigs. As far as Iowa, I don't know about you, but I consider Czinano a very formidable big.

Those of you who are satisfied with this seem to use the adage, that we only have to worry about height with maybe only one or two teams--UCLA and can beat the rest. So I ask you--if you can beat all the rest, but can't beat one of these teams, can a NC be won?

Reaction Score
While I’m also concerned about our size I think 4 guards set work better now than in the past. There simply aren’t a lot of elite teams with tons of size in their rotation. The only real national championship contenders that I can think of that will have size we can’t match up against are South Carolina and UCLA, fortunately we play both in the regular season so we can figure out how to work around it.
I hope you are right, but two years ago when we lost the NC to SC, we never "figured" out their size...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Will Sarah Strong be at our game at NC State, and where will she sit? The answers could give us some insights. The early signing period runs for another 5 days.

Reaction Score
I consider Czinano a very formidable big.
I think we're in agreement on this one. Czinano was an excellent post player, one of the best in D1. And yet Aaliyah totally contained her all by herself in head to head competition last season. What should we conclude from this? I think we are where we are for this season.

If I misread your comment, my apologies. I also think recruiting another big is essential. I’m also as sad as anyone about Jana and just as puzzled about Amari’s performance this week. I read your comment to be about this season. We are not going to find another big for this season.

If you merely mean we should make it a priority to recruit a big for next year, I’m right there with you. Even if we land Sarah, that won’t address our depth at the 5. Next season our front line will be Jana Ice Ayanna and maybe Sarah. That’s big enough, assuming Jana makes a full recovery, but there’s not much depth there or protection against foul trouble.

And I may be wrong about how Jana and Ice develop. I think Ice will play on a level with Aaliyah by next season and I expect Jana will be fierce in the low post and adept at the high post. If we recruit one more big, I don’t see anyone available who would crack that starting lineup. But I could have it all wrong.

So yes, let’s sing that song about next season together — we need another 5. But for this season, we will have to run the floor with what we have. I think Aaliyah Ice and Ayanna can do it. They’ll have to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know why everybody has written NC State off as out of the competition for Strong. She has never eliminated them - has she? She will be there with her Dad Sunday. She grew up as an NC State fan. Looks like an OV, smells like an OV. Quacks like an OV. But even if it is NOT an OV, so what? She has visited the campus enough times with her alumnus dad through the years to know everything about the place.

Querry: Does it seem somewhat disrespectful to visit Dad's alma mater on the weekend of early signing period if his school is not being considered. Her visit will create a lot of fanfare around the game.
No, it doesn’t, because there’s a basketball game playing, and anyone can go watch it. As a UConn fan, I’d be excited if she signs with the Huskies, but will also respect her decision if she went somewhere else. Although that would be a heartbreaker, it’s part of the process. You win some, and you lose some. Go Huskies! Go UConn!!

sun

Reaction Score
I hope you are right, but two years ago when we lost the NC to SC, we never "figured" out their size...
I'm waiting to see how the new restricted area will affect offensive foul calls & attacking the basket.
The attackers aren't going to be as protected against making turnovers by the much smaller restricted area.
That could make tall players with long arms who don't move their feet much or have quick feet like Amari more valuable as rim protectors.
At least against teams that have smaller guards that attack the basket with somewhat reckless abandon.
The taller players may need to pull up, step back or manuever to make their shots more difficult.
I'm not sure how the new restricted area will work out, but it could make a difference if players & coaches can figure out how to use it to their advanatage & how it will offensive affect fouls being called.
The defender will be more protected & empowered by this new smaller restricted area rule, they'll being given more protected territory on the floor, & the attackers are losing protected floor space.
The more space that a defender can occupy in the key closer to the basket while staying planted there the better.
And that could also mean that simply being taller is now better, better than it was before the rule change.
Now teams just need to learn how to adapt to the new rule.
Amari could become more useful there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My hope is that the Huskies will not have to "figure out how to work around it" (UCLA's and South Carolina's "height").
UCONN will get the needed points by going " over the top" from beyond the three-point line. Go Azzi!, Go Paige!,
Go Caroline!, with "assists" from the " everybody eats" crew! Go UCONN, on to # 12!

Reaction Score
I'm waiting to see how the new restricted area will affect offensive foul calls & attacking the basket.
The attackers aren't going to be as protected against making turnovers by the much smaller restricted area.
That could make tall players with long arms who don't move their feet much or have quick feet like Amari more valuable as rim protectors.
At least against teams that have smaller guards that attack the basket with somewhat reckless abandon.
The taller players may need to pull up, step back or manuever to make their shots more difficult.
I'm not sure how the new restricted area will work out, but it could make a difference if players & coaches can figure out how to use it to their advanatage & how it will offensive affect fouls being called.
The defender will be more protected & empowered by this new smaller restricted area rule, they'll being given more protected territory on the floor, & the attackers are losing protected floor space.
The more space that a defender can occupy in the key closer to the basket while staying planted there the better.
And that could also mean that simply being taller is now better, better than it was before the rule change.
Now teams just need to learn how to adapt to the new rule.
Amari could become more useful there.
Interesting.... I never thought of that!

Reaction Score
What’s the longest a thread on the board has gone before straying off topic? Just curious for opinions

Reaction Score
"Figure out?" Probably couldn't have used a more "unfair" comment.

What SC "did fiigure out" was that

1-- to start the year Aubrey Griffin was out.
2-- Dorka gets hurt duirng NCAA Touurney.
3-- Liv is hurt elading into NCAA title game.

When 3 of four of your top 4 post players are hurt or unable to play, it's an unfair comment to say "UCONN couldn't figure them out."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom