UConn Recruiting | Page 19 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All the speculations make sense. There may be other reasons why she hasn't accepted offers. Basketball may not be the most important part of her college future. Is Harvard a possibility?

Reaction Score
One other issue that really concerns me with any top recruit right now is money. Specifically, some recruits are looking for the best NIL guarantee up front prior to committing to a school. It’s clearly affecting MBB & FB, and I have no doubt that it is also a factor in WBB. LSU & SC have been stockpiling talent for the past few years. Both schools have set up NIL collectives that are well-funded by alumni donors.

While I hope that Strong’s decision comes down to basketball and education related considerations, in this day and age, who’s offering the most $$$ should not be underestimated.

Let me preface this by saying that I know as much as the next person (nothing), but Sarah doesn’t strike me as the type to let NIL play a part of her decision making. She’s not a flashy kid and has virtually no social media presence.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Let me preface this by saying that I know as much as the next person (nothing), but Sarah doesn’t strike me as the type to let NIL play a part of her decision making. She’s not a flashy kid and has virtually no social media presence.
In the past, there have been some HS players that decided to wait until the end of their season before announcing their commitment. There hasn't been any official list of schools released, so I agree with this post. Perhaps she's following her schedule, without any fanfare.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
In the past, there have been some HS players that decided to wait until the end of their season before announcing their commitment. There hasn't been any official list of schools released, so I agree with this post. Perhaps she's following her schedule, without any fanfare.
Although Sarah is a great HS player, the players guarding her would have a lot more motivation knowing she was a UConn recruit. Some players may love the notoriety, while others do not. This is just another reason we can speculate about, but I don't care now when she announces her decision, just as long as the school starts with a C and ends with a T.

Reaction Score
just as long as the school starts with a C and ends with a T.
Huh? Don't you mean a U and a N, or an H and an S? :D

Shiba Inu Waiting GIF by KeepUpWithJazAndYumi

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Just think, maybe Sarah is living in the moment, enjoying her last year of H.S. Classes, socializing, sports etc. Leaving family, friends and her High School has been compartmentalized, put into perspective and enjoyed. Sarah has made visits meeting coaches seeing facilities, perspective teammates and walked campuses. She has the next phase of her life in the bag, name one coach who would turn her down, so what's her hurry, just maybe she hasn't made up her mind yet. So, speculate away, we can read another 10,000 words eloquently penned by our BY faithful about Sarah's decision however I have had enough. Yes I would love for her to choose our Husky family, for now I will concentrate on the current season and team. Sara will announce when she is ready, then I will either celebrate or move on. :cool:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A number of people have posted that Geno needs to get a big body and coach her up. At least Maggie has experience at a Div I level. But of course you’re right, Geno can’t be recruiting girls just because they’re tall then expect them to transform into Dorka. It doesn’t work that way. There are tall girls in the portal but it needs to be a fit for both player and team for a transfer to be happy in her new home.

My feeling is that Maggie Mendelson will probably be playing volleyball at a new school rather than basketball
Maggie committed to volleyball power Penn State

99CE2FF6-4E9D-42F9-AB76-9882631D1DA6.jpeg

Reaction Score
The 3 names that I would love to see on UCONN's roster next season are Kansas State's Ayoka Lee, Ellie Mitchell & Kaitlyn Chen from Princeton!
These 3 are UCONN ready right now!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
The 3 names that I would love to see on UCONN's roster next season are Kansas State's Ayoka Lee, Ellie Mitchell & Kaitlyn Chen from Princeton!
Although I love your enthusiasm, here's where we stand right now (link to latest projected roster from 2024-27 here), and note that I decided to prioritize the extra covid year over resort in the color codes, just because covid is an automatic, RS less so.
1704558077404.png

Reaction Score
Remind me of the rules about roster limits. It's 15 these days? Is there a covid exception to the limits? I've been assuming there isn't, and that the only way Geno offers scholarships to Strong and Rodriguez is that he already knows who's returning and who isn't from this year's roster.

Reaction Score
Although I love your enthusiasm, here's where we stand right now (link to latest projected roster from 2024-27 here), and note that I decided to prioritize the extra covid year over resort in the color codes, just because covid is an automatic, RS less so.
View attachment 94781
So we only need to loose one player for next year. I would make Aubrey a walk on. Is that possible or is a roster a max of 15 players?

Reaction Score
Remind me of the rules about roster limits. It's 15 these days? Is there a covid exception to the limits? I've been assuming there isn't, and that the only way Geno offers scholarships to Strong and Rodriguez is that he already knows who's returning and who isn't from this year's roster.
No exception. There was one but only for the first year.

Reaction Score
So we only need to loose one player for next year. I would make Aubrey a walk on. Is that possible or is a roster a max of 15 players?
Remember that just because a player can come back doesn't mean she will. Aubrey, Paige, Nika, Aaliyah and Azzi will all be eligible for the WNBA draft. Azzi has already said she's staying, Aubrey has already said (pre-injury) that she's going. No public decisions yet from Paige, Nika or Aaliyah. But there's no way any scholarship player becomes a walk on.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Remember that just because a player can come back doesn't mean she will. Aubrey, Paige, Nika, Aaliyah and Azzi will all be eligible for the WNBA draft. Azzi has already said she's staying, Aubrey has already said (pre-injury) that she's going. No public decisions yet from Paige, Nika or Aaliyah. But there's no way any scholarship player becomes a walk on.
Agree. And as I posted in the Aubrey thread (below), she's in a difficult situation based on the timing of her injury, as she may not be ready for the WNBA season if she declares, depending on severity of her injury. She could go the int'l route next winter and then try to latch onto a WNBA team in the 2025 season.

Reaction Score
Ayoka Lee would be a godsend for this team next year, if we have room for her. If Aubrey, Nika and Aaliyah depart but Paige stays, then we would go from 16 to 13 and have room for Strong and Lee. If we didn't get Strong (or Rodriquez) and Aaliyah stayed that would be nice too.

I think Chen would be a nice addition if Paige or Azzi unexpectedly left. She might be a good plan B for that contingency, but if Paige and Azzi return and you only have one or two spots available, the bigs will be the first priority IMO.

Reaction Score
I don't see a role for Chen even if Paige and Nika go pro. Azzi KK and Ash will be ready to run the team next year, and they'll have the assistance of Q Morgan and Allie. I certainly wouldn't want to bench KK and Ash to make room for Chen. We are in for a period of spectacular renewal over the next few years.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I don't see a role for Chen even if Paige and Nika go pro. Azzi KK and Ash will be ready to run the team next year, and they'll have the assistance of Q Morgan and Allie. I certainly wouldn't want to bench KK and Ash to make room for Chen. We are in for a period of spectacular renewal over the next few years.
Unless Chen envisions a pro career, and wants to do a "Lou", and doesn't care about being a starter. Lou never assumed anything, and ended up being a significant contributor after Paige/Azzi injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom