UConn Recruiting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We’ve struggled to find big 5s in recent years. Dorka was the last one who was a complete success and we only got her as a grad transfer. Imagine if she’d been able to play next to Liv all 4 years. We’ve also dominated with smaller teams, coming within a hair’s breadth of an NC.

Jana and Gandy give me hope for the next few years. The big O and Lara Somfai would be excellent additions if we could get them.

I am always impressed by the teams that can sign one big 5 after another. Oregon St springs to mind. What’s also notable is how rarely those teams actually compete for an NC, or even in the final four. Stewie and Steph are practically the last teams to do it.

Reaction Score
They have Gandy committed.
Gandy is a young work in progress.............we simply don't know if she's going to be a revelation or a project.........there are no top ranked posts in the '25 class other than Sienna Betts and the Big "O" is a 2026.........from the video, Somfai appears to be more of a four than a five..........she's certainly skilled for a 6'3" 16 year old.......

Reaction Score
They have Gandy committed.
With Gandy I am hopeful but cautious. At this point I don't know if we have a rotation level big out of either the 2024 or 2025 class. Domestically in 2024 it looks like it is Strong or nothing. 2025 has very few top prospects with at least C size. We are in the hunt with many others for Betts, and while Gandy is a bird in hand she was not ranked by ESPN.

I get that she has size and physical tools, and that because she came to this country just last year, she may have been off the radar. This next season as a signed Uconn recruit more people will be looking at her, and if she moves up near the top of the list for bigs maybe we have our answer.

Until that happens, however, I think we have to keep looking for bigs. We don't have a proven Uconn level starting big at the 4 or 5 returning for next year unless Aaliyah comes back. Certainly we have several who might be, or even we expect to be, but right now no.

Amari doesn't look like she will ever be a rotation player short of serious injuries IMO. Ayanna is a high level recruit I expected to be very good, but she wasn't her first year, and she has an injury issue. I hope like everyone her numbers from last year were because of injury, that the issue has been fixed, and that she will in time live up to her recruiting ranking, but clearly now there are concerns we might not get what we expected.

Ice is also recovering from injury and like Ayanna we expect great things from her, but we shouldn't just assume we have a very good 4 year starter here until we see more from her. She had a legitimate chance to be an opening day starter alongside Aaliyah, but Geno decided to go small ball with Caroline at the 4 and move Aaliyah to the 5. I expect Jana to be very good as well, but add her to the list of unproven players with injury issues.

My main point is the only sure thing (Aaliyah) upfront is probably gone after this year, and the remaining candidates include threeall high level recruits, but all with injury issues, none of which has proven themselves at this level (yet), an unranked prospect, and a star prospect who might sign on the dotted line but who hasn't yet.

All the questions may be answered affirmatively, maybe Ayanna and Ice look like future All Americans, maybe by this time next year Gandy is a top 10 recruit, and maybe Strong is in tow very soon. Until some of the question marks are resolved in the affirmative though I think the search for bigs should continue, and if needed a serious look in the portal or foreign market if we don't get Strong.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Anyone know what's going on with Sarah? At this point I don't believe we will get her, but this total silence is nerve racking. Please make a decision already so Geno can move on to another player, unless he knows what is going on. Right now any news is good, bad or not.

Reaction Score
Anyone know what's going on with Sarah? At this point I don't believe we will get her, but this total silence is nerve racking. Please make a decision already so Geno can move on to another player, unless he knows what is going on. Right now any news is good, bad or not.
I think we’ll know within the next week. Especially with the NC State game that she might potentially go to. I don’t think we can totally count UConn not getting her just yet. I’m still hopeful that the rumor @NC28604 about Sarah committing to UConn is true.

Reaction Score
As someone who has followed UConn for years and lurked here for many, UConn has notably not put a press release for the class yet, which potentially indicates they have a commitment from a player who has yet to sign their NIL and will do so in the next few days. The men’s side announced their signings and quickly put out the press release with comments from the coach.

Reaction Score
As someone who has followed UConn for years and lurked here for many, UConn has notably not put a press release for the class yet, which potentially indicates they have a commitment from a player who has yet to sign their NIL and will do so in the next few days. The men’s side announced their signings and quickly put out the press release with comments from the coach.
I noticed this as well and found it odd.

Reaction Score
I see that in CD's post game chat she expressed concern about our height.
I hope that suggests that whatever Sarah does we keep our eye on international
players for the class of 2025...or even a springtime commit in 2024. We have had
wonderful success with across-the-pond gets...keep 'em coming. No college has the inside
scoop over there like UConn and Geno....with his international success.
I hear there is a really good Egyptian player. (Sigh)

Reaction Score
I am always impressed by the teams that can sign one big 5 after another. Oregon St springs to mind. What’s also notable is how rarely those teams actually compete for an NC, or even in the final four. Stewie and Steph are practically the last teams to do it.
Statistically, there are fewer bigs available—meaning they are likely to get more interest from many teams as compared to guards. Oregon St seems to me as though they have signed a bunch of bigs—because they were big. Most of them haven’t panned out.

Geno is picky in general and that mostly applies to bigs, although he has recruited some bigs that I think he is gambling on (that is, he wouldn’t recruit the same skill level in a guard). Bigs tend to develop later, and perhaps he is hoping to find a player that will play well by their junior year.

Reaction Score

I was thinking that last night since we didn't hear anything from Geno after the game either. I think we may be waiting for a certain someone to round out the class. ;)

Reaction Score
This makes sense

Reaction Score
Or maybe just waiting to hear that person’s decision

Reaction Score
I don't know why everybody has written NC State off as out of the competition for Strong. She has never eliminated them - has she? She will be there with her Dad Sunday. She grew up as an NC State fan. Looks like an OV, smells like an OV. Quacks like an OV. But even if it is NOT an OV, so what? She has visited the campus enough times with her alumnus dad through the years to know everything about the place.

Querry: Does it seem somewhat disrespectful to visit Dad's alma mater on the weekend of early signing period if his school is not being considered. Her visit will create a lot of fanfare around the game.

Reaction Score
I don't know why everybody has written NC State off as out of the competition for Strong. She has never eliminated them - has she? She will be there with her Dad Sunday. She grew up as an NC State fan. Looks like an OV, smells like an OV. Quacks like an OV. But even if it is NOT an OV, so what? She has visited the campus enough times with her alumnus dad through the years to know everything about the place.

Querry: Does it seem somewhat disrespectful to visit Dad's alma mater on the weekend of early signing period if his school is not being considered. Her visit will create a lot of fanfare around the game.
I don’t think visiting a game of a school you’re not considering to watch the school play that you are considering is disrespectful. We saw Tony Fournier visit the Maryland vs. UConn game when it was at Maryland just to watch UConn. It’s all about convenience in my opinion.

Reaction Score

I don't think she's ever eliminated or confirmed anyone is on her list, people are just based it off of scheduled/known official visits. South Carolina could still be on her list for all we know.

I don't think she is going to be at the NC State game, I think that was just a hope a poster had, not information.

Reaction Score

Has she or her father stated publicly that she'll be at that game? It appears that she and her family don't tell anyone anything on the record or publicly.

Reaction Score
If Sarah wants to develop into a wnba player/ potential Olympian UConn is the place. Her family wants the best for her. If they push her to NC state cause of her father then making that decision to please her father then so be it. No offense but NC state won’t be any kind of threat for years to come. I predict it will be down to LSU and UCONN. At the end of the day it’s her decision. Hoping she comes cause she is a generational type of player. Who ever does get her she will be an immediate impact and could easily start right away!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The Egyptian has arrived... we'll just have to wait for that cake to bake!
I am still very disappointed about Jana's injury and even if UConn wins this season's NC, the only thing that will take away the sting for me would be for Strong to commit to UConn. I wanted to see Jana play with this season's team. I am a Golden, Golden Heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom