UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BC Football IS the power in New England College Football. For the last 35 years, 98% of the time, BC has dominated College Football in New England every much as had Uconn Men's Basketball dominated.

At best, you've got 50% of the last 10 years. Look it up.

When you compare a football program to UConn basketball, unless you choose an Alabama or an LSU, you are doing it wrong.

Reaction Score
I don't care about a 3:2 split because I like UConn football and I like it when we get to play teams our school has a history with and are geographically relevant to as opposed to Having to create a rivalry game with a commuter school from GD Orlando.

Maybe I'm crazy though.

Yes,yes you are.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
a 3/2 split with BC is not the same thing as a 3/2 split where one of the 3 replaces an away game at UMass. If this gets worked into a three team deal where UConn, UMass and BC play each other every year I say go for it. Especially if it is likely to be extended.

Reaction Score
I disagree entirely with this line of thinking. UConn does NOT need to cow tow to the whims of BC in terms of scheduling. .

Ok... but BC holds the cards. If Uconn does not want to
I disagree entirely with this line of thinking. UConn does NOT need to cow tow to the whims of BC in terms of scheduling. There are plenty of institutions to negotiate with. Deal with reality.

I think I am dealing with " the reality". Uconn football is the underling. If it really wants a football game with BC it will make the neccessary concessions to that to make it happen ( just as BC did in the beginning, and still does with its football scheduling negotiations with ND ). That said, I do agree with you that this is Uconn's call too. If they believe that their " pride " or whatever might be compromised in an uneven negotiation terms, they can decline the terms, keep their " pride " ( or whatever they feel is at stake ) and continue to pursue games with other schools. That option will always remain within the domain of Uconn. I want Uconn and BC to play. But if the terms are not acceptable to Uconn and they can't deal with those terms, then I can live with that too. And more importantly, it appears that you ( and perhaps others here too ) could as well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe that's why the Tenn game hasn't been rescheduled. They figure that UConn is so desperate that they can get a free return game. After all, we're giving one to a non-entity like BCU.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I liked it better when we didn't have a possible game with BC scheduled. Why waste time arguing with this?

T w a t is on the censored list? Holy crap.

Reaction Score
I liked it better when we didn't have a possible game with BC scheduled. Why waste time arguing with this ?
I still think this is of far greater interest and topic for discussion than discussing the annual Civil Bowl.... and the thread discussion so far has been mostly civil, in my opinion too. Plus, this thread topic is a good practice run to see how discussions might go on here when more BC fans come on here in the future if and when a Uconn- BC football scheduled game comes to fruition.

Reaction Score
Ok... but BC holds the cards. If Uconn does not want to

I think I am dealing with " the reality". Uconn football is the underling. If it really wants a football game with BC it will make the neccessary concessions to that to make it happen ( just as BC did in the beginning, and still does with its football scheduling negotiations with ND ). That said, I do agree with you that this is Uconn's call too. If they believe that their " pride " or whatever might be compromised in an uneven negotiation terms, they can decline the terms, keep their " pride " ( or whatever they feel is at stake ) and continue to pursue games with other schools. That option will always remain within the domain of Uconn. I want Uconn and BC to play. But if the terms are not acceptable to Uconn and they can't deal with those terms, then I can live with that too. And more importantly, it appears that you ( and perhaps others here too ) could as well.
You really can't be this dense. UConn gets one on ones with Missouri, Michigan, Syracuse, Virginia, etc, but we have to make concessions to the self proclaimed "Kings of New England" football. In this one you guys are looking to replace FIU with a team that might draw you some more fans because you ain't doing so hot.

I willing to concede this would be an away game instead of a return game for UMass, we play BC. There are no other concessions UConn should think of beyond that. Your positions is so stupid you must be trolling us. Good job.

Reaction Score
Lots of tangents in this thread. Is it always like this on these boards? ;)

Over the last few days I've been thinking about what this series would mean and I think I've come to appreciate it even more. An annual cup of sorts between UMass, UConn and BC might actually be one of those sum-is-greater-than-the-parts type situations -- especially if it's marketed aggressively and well -- that may really help boost interest in college football in New England in general. Maybe not a huge boost and New England is definitely not going to become the south, or even the midwest, but it could improve. And that would be good for all teams involved.

I'm on board. I hope you guys are too.

(It's just a shame that it won't be at all competitive...)

Reaction Score
You really can't be this dense. UConn gets one on ones with Missouri, Michigan, Syracuse, Virginia, etc, but we have to make concessions to the self proclaimed "Kings of New England" football. In this one you guys are looking to replace FIU with a team that might draw you some more fans because you ain't doing so hot.

I willing to concede this would be an away game instead of a return game for UMass, we play BC. There are no other concessions UConn should think of beyond that. Your positions is so stupid you must be trolling us. Good job.

For the record, this seems to be all UMass' AD's doing. BC would've actually been perfectly content with FIU (as terrible as that is), but according to Blaud's it's UMass pushing to change things.

Reaction Score
I still think this is of far greater interest and topic for discussion than discussing the annual Civil Bowl.... and the thread discussion so far has been mostly civil, in my opinion too. Plus, this thread topic is a good practice run to see how discussions might go on here when more BC fans come on here in the future if and when a Uconn- BC football scheduled game comes to fruition.

Shut up and go away.

Reaction Score
You really can't be this dense. UConn gets one on ones with Missouri, Michigan, Syracuse, Virginia, etc, but we have to make concessions to the self proclaimed "Kings of New England" football.

No.... as a matter of fact, it appears to me that you miscontrued my remarks from above. I actually stated ( to repeat ) that it is " in Uconn's domain to reject any terms not acceptable to them ". Uconn does not have to do anything at all that is perceived by them not to be in their own future self interest. I have no idea if the rumors of negotiations are in fact taking place, nor what the terms will be. But BOTH BC and Uconn have a perfect right to walk away from any potential deal that either believes is not in their own self interests. I hope this does not occur, as I'd like to see a Uconn- BC future game(s). But I recognize both schools have to decide if the terms work for them..... of course. So I hope this clarifies my remarks that you believed that somehow the negotiations will be one sided ( no evidence of this so far ) and that I was telling Uconn they had no control to simply walk away if they felt their pride would be diminished if they took uneven negotiated terms. Uconn does not have to do ANY deal with ANY school that is not in their self interest.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
After 7 pages of arguing I think the only thing we can be assured of is that somewhere, out there, in the midst of typos and sentences that make no grammatical sense, Blauds is smiling as he looks at his computer.

Reaction Score
After 7 pages of arguing I think the only thing we can be assured of is that somewhere, out there, in the midst of typos and sentences that make no grammatical sense, Blauds is smiling as he looks at his computer.

Haha.... true... And hopefully for Bloodhound, now that he's been canned from the Boston Globe, he's typing now from his home when he's mostly sober now too.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
The rivalry game should be called "Pure, Old-Fashioned, Swamp-Yankee Hate"... or just "The Battle for New England"... maybe its a big pine tree or lobster or something?

Reaction Score
The rivalry game should be called "Pure, Old-Fashioned, Swamp-Yankee Hate"... or just "The Battle for New England"... maybe its a big pine tree or lobster or something?
BC and Uconn will probably schedule a future football game or two in the future. Its just a matter of time in my opinion. But I don't see this as a " rivalry game " anytime soon. Syracuse will be BC's annual"rivalry game". Both Private Colleges have a long football history... and going way back too. It will be each school's last game of the season and a league game with league standing significance. Uconn, thru its school representative, ( Head Coach ) has selected Central Florida as Uconn's future football rival. Whether Central Florida remains a long term future football rivalry game for Uconn is of course in some degree of legitimate dispute. I would like to see Umass become Uconn's future football rival. But Umass can never seem to get its act together, so this remains a huge longshot at best.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
BC and Uconn will probably schedule a future football game or two in the future. Its just a matter of time in my opinion. But I don't see this as a " rivalry game " anytime soon. Syracuse will be BC's annual"rivalry game". Both Private Colleges have a long football history... and going way back too. It will be each school's last game of the season and a league game with league standing significance. Uconn, thru its school representative, ( Head Coach ) has selected Central Florida as Uconn's future football rival. Whether Central Florida remains a long term future football rivalry game for Uconn is of course in some degree of legitimate dispute.
Yeah, but still Diaco is right about UCF- we need to start a rivalry game somewhere. Might as well be UCF who we've had some decent battles wiht so far. I hope we sweep the floor with them Saturday guys!

Reaction Score
Yeah, but still Diaco is right about UCF- we need to start a rivalry game somewhere. Might as well be UCF who we've had some decent battles wiht so far. I hope we sweep the floor with them Saturday guys!

Decent battles? We've played them twice and they hung 62 pts on us 2 years ago. And the horrid weather played a hand in us beating them the Rent last year.

Don't get why Diaco suddenly chose them for a rivalry game - it's like he picked a name out of a hat (or maybe because they're the only AAC team we beat last year). But it's just Diaco being Diaco I guess.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Decent battles? We've played them twice and they hung 62 pts on us 2 years ago. And the horrid weather played a hand in us beating them the Rent last year.

Don't get why Diaco suddenly chose them for a rivalry game - it's like he picked a name out of a hat (or maybe because they're the only AAC team we beat last year). But it's just Diaco being Diaco I guess.
I know... I was being sarcastic. I do like the idea of a in-conference rivary though. And the whole north/south thing is kinda cool. I would have rather it been Cincy or USF based on our history with and against both schools.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Uconn, thru its school representative, ( Head Coach ) has selected Central Florida as Uconn's future football rival. Whether Central Florida remains a long term future football rivalry game for Uconn is of course in some degree of legitimate dispute. I would like to see Umass become Uconn's future football rival. But Umass can never seem to get its act together, so this remains a huge longshot at best.

I think if you polled UConn football fans, the majority would say Rutgers is our football rival. I don't think many RU fans feel the same way towards us, especially now that they are in the B1G and they have bigger things to worry about - like preventing their entire AD from going down the tubes in Year 2 of their cable box infused lottery ticket. Some football fans would probably say BC just because they hate BC. Some might even say Syracuse because they're hybrid football/basketball fans. I think zero would say UCF or UMass. Don't mistake PR recruiting tactics by our head coach as representation of how our fanbase feels.

Reaction Score
I know... I was being sarcastic. I do like the idea of a in-conference rivary though. And the whole north/south thing is kinda cool. I would have rather it been Cincy or USF based on our history with and against both schools.

USF would make more sense based on recent history - we've had some good clashes with them.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
USF would make more sense based on recent history - we've had some good clashes with them.
UCF had clearly been the top program in the conference at the time Diaco started this. This was more to state that we were targeting the leader of the pack than anything else.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@Dooley I'm with you in terms of rivals. In the Big East it was definitely Rutgers. It's nobody now.

It should be Rutgers/BC, with Pitt, Cuse, West Virginia falling in right behind them.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
@Dooley I'm with you in terms of rivals. In the Big East it was definitely Rutgers. It's nobody now.

It should be Rutgers/BC, with Pitt, Cuse, West Virginia falling in right behind them.

Agreed. Tough to establish rivalries when all of our local equivalent schools/programs leave our conference. (I don't blame them - we will eventually leave the AAC too) We obviously don't have the history as other programs, but RU/UConn games were always tight. For whatever reason, our fanbase didn't travel well down there but theirs always travelled well up here. I don't know if that is any indication of how they truly felt about our games or not, but the games themselves were, more than often, close.

The top 3 P5 conferences are so successful because their rivalries are very regionalized. In some cases, there are heated rivalries located in the same state. None of this "we want to defend 'our perceived turf'" baloney. Sure, the ACC and B12 have their rivalries but not as many as they should. That may or may not improve over time, but it seems like our top football rivals should be (based solely on equivalent level AD and region):

Rutgers
Syracuse
Pitt
BC

But alas, until we get our B1G/ACC invite in the next few years, we are forced to invent silly rivalries with Florida commuter schools so that we can pluck a few FL kids every other year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom