UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Some have mentioned that the 2016 UMass game is a return game. That is not true. While UMass played at UConn during the P years, that was a one game series. The currently scheduled 2016 game is the first of a separate home and home series. They are scheduled to play at UConn in 2017.

Thx.

Reaction Score
Okay. Joe D. & Gresch confirmation of sorts: About 10 minutes ago, Joe D. said that yesterday he & Gresch had poo-pooed a caller who got on & wanted to talk about this potential matchup (see my comment from yesterday). Joe then said that he did some further digging & may have been wrong. Said that he couldn't say anything officially, but that listeners should be prepared for some good news on this topic "in a few weeks."
(does that mean a Boneyard 20 minutes?)

Reaction Score
1.) BC isn't exactly desperate for this game. I know there's been a lot of talk about having leverage over BC, but the fact of the matter is that it sounds like BC can buy a one-off home game from FIU and then schedule an FCS game to still get 7 home games next year, even without UConn. So we're not exactly desperate.

2016:
Syracuse and Virginia come to CT

2017:
At Virginia and Missouri comes to CT

2018:
At Boise State and Syracuse

2019:
At Indiana and Illinois comes to CT

2020:
At Illinois and Indiana comes to CT

.....who says we're desperate to play Boston College?

Reaction Score
BC obviously sees the writing on the wall and will do everything they can to gain on UConn football before the school goes to the Big Ten (or ACC). I would ignore BC until we're invited to the Big Ten. Or ACC.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What's wrong with having a little self-respect? Why reward an entity that has done whatever they could to destroy our program?
I hate how everything went down as much as anyone, but being bitter about the past serves us zippo going forward. What's our downside risk in playing them? There is none. The game makes too much sense for all involved to let something as silly as pride derail it.

Reaction Score
I hate how everything went down as much as anyone, but being bitter about the past serves us zippo going forward. What's our downside risk in playing them? There is none. The game makes too much sense for all involved to let something as silly as pride derail it.
They get better players right now. All-time series do matter.

Reaction Score
What's wrong with having a little self-respect? Why reward an entity that has done whatever they could to destroy our program?

I respect your opinion but you might want to rethink an opinion that freescooter agrees with. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Playing BC also has UCONN fans split. Many could care less if BC is on any future schedules and would rather play against P5 conferences

This might or might not be true. But I've never met these Uconn football fans that you are refering too here .My own personal experience is that all the Uconn football fans that I personally know ( my family, workers, acquainances) would much prefer to see a game with BC than with most of the P5 conference teams. For example BC would have more interest to the Uconn football fans than one with Indiana, Washington State, Cal., Maryland, West Virgina, Louisville, and many others. Sure, a Uconn- Florida game would get me and others interested, but the vast majority of Uconn grads that still live in N.E. are in favor of this game. Just look at the number of thread views on this thread topic. It beats any thread topic interest on most of the AAC programs that Uconn football currently plays AND more interest than most of the P5 conference teams as well.

Reaction Score
You have clear opinions on UConn fans throwing beer cans at BC fans. Any opinions on BC students throwing teabags at BYU players?

Haha!!!... Yes!... Those current friggin BC student s ( lol!)..... apt description I might add ( lol!)

Reaction Score
Giving the Beagles a home game without getting one in return immediately concedes that they are the power and we are the poor little guys who will sell our souls to be taken seriously .

BC Football IS the power in New England College Football. For the last 35 years, 98% of the time, BC has dominated College Football in New England every much as had Uconn Men's Basketball dominated New England College Basketball in the region. Yes, there were a couple of years in these 35 years where Uconn was better in football than BC.... but there were a couple of years in the last 35 years where Uconn Basketball was not the number 1 program in N.E. THAT year too.. But Uconn Basketball is still the best basketball program 98% of the time in N.E., the same way that BC football is the number best college football program in N.E. 98% of the time as well.

As such, Uconn DOES need to negotiate this in terms acceptable to BC.... as BC IS " the power " in N.E....the same way that BC needs to negotiate its football schedules with Notre Dame in a manner that recognizes that ND is " the power " and BC is not " the power " in this relationship. BC would agree to play ND anywhere, anytime, and 12 times a year in South Bend if that gets ND on the BC schedule. Uconn and Umass need BC on its football schedule, far , far more than BC needs Umass or Uconn football on its schedule. So Uconn should make the deal, no matter what it takes, imo

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Haha!!!... Yes!... Those current friggin BC student s ( lol!)..... apt description I might add ( lol!)

I'm missing your point here. You think people taunting others about their religion is a funny joke? Your priests must be so proud.

Reaction Score
I'm missing your point here. You think people taunting others about their religion is a funny joke? Your priests must be so proud.
Your reply sailed right over my head as well. I have not a single clue as to what you are referring too with your reply. Care to elaborate ? ( and what do you mean regarding the comment of " my priests " ? I have " no priests ". I am not Catholic, for example ).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your reply sailed right over my head as well. I have not a single clue as to what you are referring too with your reply. Care to elaborate ? ( and what are you talking about re. " my priests " ? I have " no priests ". I am not Catholic, for example ).

The incident you were asked about -- and chuckled off -- was BC students mocking their guests from BYU by throwing bags of tea -- full of the banned for mormon substance of caffeine -- at them.

If you're not catholic bully for you, but I was pointing out that laughing off as a joke groups making fun of others for their religion is hardly something that a good person would be proud of.

Reaction Score
BC Football IS the power in New England College Football. For the last 35 years, 98% of the time, BC has dominated College Football in New England every much as had Uconn Men's Basketball dominated New England College Basketball in the region. Yes, there were a couple of years in these 35 years where Uconn was better in football than BC.... but there were a couple of years in the last 35 years where Uconn Basketball was not the number 1 program in N.E. THAT year too.. But Uconn Basketball is still the best basketball program 98% of the time in N.E., the same way that BC football is the number best college football program in N.E. 98% of the time as well.

As such, Uconn DOES need to negotiate this in terms acceptable to BC.... as BC IS " the power " in N.E....the same way that BC needs to negotiate its football schedules with Notre Dame in a manner that recognizes that ND is " the power " and BC is not " the power " in this relationship. BC would agree to play ND anywhere, anytime, and 12 times a year in South Bend if that gets ND on the BC schedule. Uconn and Umass need BC on its football schedule, far , far more than BC needs Umass or Uconn football on its schedule. So Uconn should make the deal, no matter what it takes, imo

Most of this is pure BS. UConn went Div I-A in 2002. Since then, BC and UConn have been pretty even. And only one of the two ever made a BCS Bowl and it was not BC. And it is BC who needs UConn on the schedule next year and that is a fact.

Reaction Score

Your a power in your own mind. You're going to compare BC football to UConn basketball? I mean UConn basketball is like LSU or Oklahoma or USC football. BC football is like PC basketball. The power in "New England" as you say because for most of those 45 years they were the only school playing at the highest level.

Would you expect BC basketeball to agree to 2 for 1's with UConn in Basketball? BC can play FIU, we can play UMass and world will continue to turn.

Reaction Score
I don't care about a 3:2 split because I like UConn football and I like it when we get to play teams our school has a history with and are geographically relevant to as opposed to Having to create a rivalry game with a commuter school from GD Orlando.

Maybe I'm crazy though.

Reaction Score
this is the type of game that can start to build up interest in the region...
when I think of a rival, I think of a team that means a loss is more than just a loss. it doesn't matter how bad the team is, winning against the rival is better than just a win. That's BC from my perspective. .

Its not quite an accurate portrayal however. Most students that attend BC these days are not from N.E. So for them, a Uconn win would mean not much more than a win over Wake Forest... maybe less, as Uconn would be a non league game. Those BC football fans that are non alums, but live in NE. and go to the games would value a football game with Uconn.... but less than a game over instate Umass. Thats because there are far more Umass grads in Easten Mass than Uconn grads. As such, the non BC alums, living in Greater Boston, run into Umass grads all the time in their neighborhoods, offices, worksites. I know of no BC football fans, grads or non grads, that consider Uconn a BC " football rival". It would be like a few misguided BC alums saying that ND is BC's football rival. No ND football fan believes that. So there can be no football rivalry unless both see it as such. Diaco found this out with the reaction in Central Florida. Finally, Some sizable numbers of Umass football fans might see themselves as a current or future football rival with that of Uconn football. But unless Uconn football fans see this ( and they don't, and won't ) then Umass can never become Uconn's football rival, until such time as most Uconn football fans see it as such. And I wouldn't hold my breath of that ever happening anytime soon. A " rivalry " needs both schools fan bases on board. Without both sides on board, its just one game that means far more to one program and its fans and alums than it does to the other. No more.. no less.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because the game is good for our program. Why cut off your nose to spite your face? After we're P5 it might be different, but for now - take the game.

Reaction Score
The incident you were asked about -- and chuckled off -- was BC students mocking their guests from BYU by throwing bags of tea -- full of the banned for mormon substance of caffeine -- at them.

If you're not catholic bully for you, but I was pointing out that laughing off as a joke groups making fun of others for their religion is hardly something that a good person would be proud of.
Oh, now I understand what you were referring too. I had not heard of this story. I'll assume its true. But I could care less what a few BC students do, nor think frankly. I did not go to BC, so what goes on there off the field, and unrelated to football is of no interest to me in the least. ( the same with any current students at Uconn either. For that matter. I don't care what ANY 17-22 year olders are doing in some stupid or crass manner off the football field at ANY of these colleges these days . They're not my kids, and I'm not footing the bill for them to go there and then make complete fools of themselves on occasion. ( Profs at these Schools can be more crass and act far more stupidly than their students sometimes ) But if its its important to you in some way, thats cool and all too... no problem. )

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
UConn and UMess as rivals? Ptooey. We'll be in the B1G in a few years, and they won't have a football program. Someone who views both programs as being of a similar enough stature to be rivals should not be allowed to comment on collegiate athletics.

Reaction Score
it is BC who needs UConn on the schedule next year and that is a fact.

No... its an " opinion ". It is not a " fact ". You are entitled to your opinion however. I don't share this particular " opinion ", thats all. Uconn belongs on BC's out of conference schedule as much as any other NE. program, in my opinion. It has more interest to me than 99% of the other non P5 schools on BC's schedule, thats for sure anyway. I'd like to see Harvard on BC's future schedule too. What the hell. Its better than Stony Brook, or Ball State , or Hampton, and those type of non N.E. schools that both BC and Uconn put on their schedules.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall