UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

How's the ? I mean, Andre??

UMass has complete schedules for 2016 and 2017 and have games scheduled beyond. Methinks they're going to stay at this level. AAC schools are lending UMass a helping hand. UMass AND UConn in the Big Ten would be kind of insane. Western Mass would become relevant to the dismay of eastern Mass and the Knowledge Corridor reaches it's peak. Certainly would take years to get there.

All is well - plan to take in a couple Motown games this year

Reaction Score
Sure, why not. Uconn has the power in N.E. to call the shots in Basketball scheduling between the 2 schools, and BC has the power in N.E. to call the shots in Football scheduling between the 2 schools. And as mentioned above, its always a given that all schools operate on the basis that uneven negotiations can sometimes work for both schools long range future self interests.... and on the other hand, sometimes one school opts not to participate in what it perceives to not be agreeable terms to its own future self interests, and decides not to agree to scheduling terms.
You do realize we can schedule schools other than BC? Right?

How the heck is BC any better than Syracuse. At least Syracuse has a championship people can agree about.

Reaction Score
This was the guy's second choice, his first choice would be for BC to have a football rotation featuring Boston U and Northeastern.
Not unless he thought (like you) that BU still has a football program, he would not be calling for future football games with BU. There would be some interest in Greater Boston to put Northeastern back on the BC football schedule however, as there is a very large base of Huskies alums that live in and around the Greater Boston region( far more than Uconn Huskies Alums for example )

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not unless he thought (like you) that BU still has a football program, he would not be calling for future football games with BU. There would be some interest in Greater Boston to put Northeastern back on the BC football schedule however, as there is a very large base of Huskies alums that live in and around the Greater Boston region( far more than Uconn Huskies Alums for example )

... Is Northeastern still undefeated this year?

Reaction Score

Wow. Just in case BC's curriculum did not cover the English language, the link below maybe of use for you.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

I was a student at UConn when BU announced that they were canning their football program. Their very next game was in Storrs and the BU players used black tape to cover-up any reference to BU on their uniforms. The coaches wore black. I actually felt for those guys. Oh, and about 10 years later, I got my MBA from BU and my graduation ceremony was at Nickerson Field. So, yeah, I know.

By the way, I was still living in the Boston suburbs when Northeastern announced that they were cancelling their football program also in 2009.

That said, BC should put both on their football schedule. Its an automatic pair of wins. Although, the jury is s till out if playing an imaginary pair of teams would help or hurt attendance at Alumni stadium.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=12760

Summary:
- BC lining up FIU and Wagner to fill out 2016.
- UMass AD interested in having both BC and UConn on the schedule annually.
- UMass AD "wheeling and dealing" to create an annual scheduling arrangement.
- UMass AD willing to swap a UConn home game for FIU in order to extend the BC series.

If you think that's disrespectful, that's your opinion. But that's the story as Blauds presented it.
Not disrespectful, I just wanted to see where you got that as the 10/5-ish articles did not state any of that. You completely missed that UMass would be asking for an extra home game against BC at Gillette to make up for the UConn swap.

Reaction Score
Damn...

NJbcFan 5:24pm via Twitter Web Client
@BCBradBates I am sure you have heard it, but please no UConn in football. I would rather see a Catholic rotation of Holy Cross/Nova/Fordham

Don't worry, some fans just don't understand how scheduling works. BC, especially with a Florida-trained coach like Daz, will always want cupcakes on the OOC schedule. Which means BC will always have an FCS game.

The FCS game gets us the Catholic rotation of Holy Cross (historic rivarly recently renewed for 4 games), Fordham (just recently filled the scholly quota to count towards a bowl, I expect it to be scheduled soon) and Villanova. Mix the Catholics with what we call with the "Good for New England" games against Maine, URI and UNH and the FCS schedule is filled.

But we likely need two G5 opponents per year. We wouldn't be playing UConn and UMass instead of the Catholics and small NE schools, we'd be playing them in addition. The choice is really between UConn and/or UMass versus the Central Michigan's, Kent State's, Bowling Green's, and New Mexico States' of the world. When you realize that, it's only the most anti-UConn, blind-hate BC fans that don't want to go for this.

tl;dr - this twitter fan doesn't know what he's talking about and Bates will have no trouble ignoring him.

Reaction Score
Don't worry, some fans just don't understand how scheduling works. BC, especially with a Florida-trained coach like Daz, will always want cupcakes on the OOC schedule. Which means BC will always have an FCS game.

The FCS game gets us the Catholic rotation of Holy Cross (historic rivarly recently renewed for 4 games), Fordham (just recently filled the scholly quota to count towards a bowl, I expect it to be scheduled soon) and Villanova. Mix the Catholics with what we call with the "Good for New England" games against Maine, URI and UNH and the FCS schedule is filled.

What happens to BC's schedule if the ACC is pressured to follow the B1Gs' path of no more FCS games?

Reaction Score
What happens to BC's schedule if the ACC is pressured to follow the B1Gs' path of no more FCS games?

Don't think that happens as long as they stay at an 8 game schedule. The ACC teams love their FCS cupcakes and with 4 OOC you can afford one FCS. I almost think you'd see a 2 P5 requirement before the ACC bans the FCS.

Reaction Score
No.... as a matter of fact, it appears to me that you miscontrued my remarks from above. I actually stated ( to repeat ) that it is " in Uconn's domain to reject any terms not acceptable to them ". Uconn does not have to do anything at all that is perceived by them not to be in their own future self interest. I have no idea if the rumors of negotiations are in fact taking place, nor what the terms will be. But BOTH BC and Uconn have a perfect right to walk away from any potential deal that either believes is not in their own self interests. I hope this does not occur, as I'd like to see a Uconn- BC future game(s). But I recognize both schools have to decide if the terms work for them..... of course. So I hope this clarifies my remarks that you believed that somehow the negotiations will be one sided ( no evidence of this so far ) and that I was telling Uconn they had no control to simply walk away if they felt their pride would be diminished if they took uneven negotiated terms. Uconn does not have to do ANY deal with ANY school that is not in their self interest.
Actually, you did insinuate that the leverage resides with bc and that if uconn doesn't like the terms being dictated to them, they can always walk away.

You might be the first person I've seen that likes to hear themselves blog.

Reaction Score
You're kidding right.
Did you really just tell us Boston has a great deal of nu alums as if you were dropping some newsflash?

Reaction Score
Uconn has sold out 1 game since 2011 (UM where 40% of crowd was maize/blue), maybe pump the brakes on the attendance thing.
Which is the same # of sellouts BC has had in the same time frame (with a significantly better home schedule) when 40% of Alumni were ND fans - see how easy it is to make up %'s of visiting fans.
Seriously, BC can't sell out for Florida State, Clemson, and USC in prime time evening games. Playing UConn would put more total fans in Alumni than any of their ACC games, but BC can continue to keep their head in the sand and enjoy playing Howard and Maine in the same year.

Reaction Score
do-not-feed-the-troll.png

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Uconn has sold out 1 game since 2011 (UM where 40% of crowd was maize/blue), maybe pump the brakes on the attendance thing.

Just a slight difference - during that same timeframe, BC has played a P5 schedule and has qualified for a bowl game in the past 2 seasons. Yet, BC still has failed to sell out its stadium against the likes of USC (despite a strong showing from USC fans), FSU, and Clemson. In fact, the only games to have been or will be sold out in the past few years were the Pinstripe Bowl (where 85% of the crowd was PSU blue/white) and the upcoming game at Fenway against Notre Dame (80% ND fans where you guys are the road team in your own city!).

If you want to start comparing attendance, the only logical comparison would be the last time we played against a BCS/"Power" schedule with a winning record: the 2010 season. 3 sellouts - Vanderbilt, WVU and Cincinnati. Give UConn fans a P5 schedule and a winning record, there is absolutely no doubt that the Rent will sell out more often than Alumni.

The reason why this whole debate keeps resurfacing is because of lethargic ticket sales at your stadium despite being in a P5 and winning. Despite the arguments to the contrary, a game between the two biggest football programs in New England would excite a good number of people in the region. UConn fans would definitely make the trip up to Boston for this game and likely give you guys your first sellout in years that you will have more than 15-20% of the crowd percentage.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Just think about that. BCU couldn't sell out a game against USC.

In a winning season with good crowd support from USC too! You put USC on UConn's schedule, in a winning season, and scalpers are making an annual salary's worth of money outside the stadium. We could probably sell our season ticket seat for that one game and pay for the next 4-5 years worth of season tickets. You put USC on UConn's schedule in a losing season (like the year Michigan came here), and we still sell out the Rent.

Hey, I get it. There is limited support for BC in Boston and they will always struggle to sell tickets, regardless of record or opponent. There are a ton of colleges in the city and there is a good contingency of alumni who live away from Boston. Boston is also a pro town where 99 out of 100 fans care more about the Patriots or Red Sox than BC. Much like Wake Forrest, they need help to sell their products even though their athletic programs are, for the most part, lightyears ahead of Wake. I guess that's part of the problem with small private schools playing by P5 rules and why BC voted against some of the measures that will increase their cost to compete.

Reaction Score
Just think about that. BCU couldn't sell out a game against USC.

We're having issues with attendance. The most widely held theory:
- Lost a lot of season ticket holders with the Spaz disaster for the four years between '09 and '12. The combination of terrible football, increased season ticket prices, increased Donor Based Seating charges for premier seats, increased tailgating costs, increased BCPD presence at tailgates, and even further restrictive tailgating hours. I swear, it was as though DeFilipo and Spaz wrote a script on the best way to destroy a program and then got away with it for 4 years before someone caught on and put a stop to it.
- Some say the decline started earlier with the move out of the Big East. Wake, NCST, Duke, UVa, etc. just weren't attractive to a Northeastern fan base. Even though the move in '05 preceded the attendance dropoff that started in '09, that's skewed by the the fact that almost all ACC teams brought in about an extra 5K tickets to their first games in Boston and the team actually being nationally ranked between '06 and '08. Starting in '09, when we were no longer ranked (good) and the novelty of Boston was no longer a draw for ACC visiting fans, that's when the numbers started showing. This theory holds that BC needs to focus the OOC on traditional northeastern foes to generate interest. This theory would be the one that motivates Bates to sign this series.
- Then some also just point out that '06 was the year that BC started reporting actual bodies through the turnstiles as opposed to tickets sold. This theory suggests that the attendance dropoff isn't as stark as the numbers suggest and if BC can just start winning the numbers will pick up. Adherents to this theory would say that games like USC might've come very close to selling out at the box office, but that only 42K made it into the stadium out of a capacity of 44.5K. Again, tickets sold numbers aren't reported, so we can't be sure on this one. But I'm skeptical.
- Starting in '08 BC's students started skewing away from Northeastern states to a more national student body. Fewer recent alumni staying in Boston.

It's probably a combination of the 4.

Reaction Score
In a winning season with good crowd support from USC too! You put USC on UConn's schedule, in a winning season, and scalpers are making an annual salary's worth of money outside the stadium. We could probably sell our season ticket seat for that one game and pay for the next 4-5 years worth of season tickets. You put USC on UConn's schedule in a losing season (like the year Michigan came here), and we still sell out the Rent.

Hard to say that we didn't sell out USC in "a winning season." That game was week three of 2014. In 2013 we went 7-6 just barely, were only a year removed from 2-10 and the media was predicting a step back to 4 or 5 wins. Also, the week before BC got crushed at home by Pitt. So yeah, not exactly fair to say BC was a winning team going into the USC game.

With that said, after winning 7 the last two years and the excitement of the fanbase going into this year, not selling out this year's game against a #9 FSU on a Friday night primetime game was considered by BC fans a more surprising lack of attendance.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Hard to say that we didn't sell out USC in "a winning season." That game was week three of 2014. In 2013 we went 2-10, so the preseason season ticket holders definitely didn't view BC as a team, especially with the media predicting another 2 win season. Also, the week before BC got crushed at home by Pitt. So yeah, not exactly fair to say BC was a winning team going into the USC game.

With that said, after winning 7 the last two years and the excitement of the fanbase going into this year, not selling out this year's game against a #9 FSU on a Friday night primetime game was considered by BC fans a more surprising lack of attendance.

Fair enough. To be fair, the USC game was the springboard for BC that year. I think I was more surprised at USC's contigency for that game that anything else. West coast represented pretty well. They also repped well at MetLife against Syracuse a few years ago so I don't know why I was so surprised.

Reaction Score
Hard to say that we didn't sell out USC in "a winning season." That game was week three of 2014. In 2013 we went 7-6 just barely, were only a year removed from 2-10 and the media was predicting a step back to 4 or 5 wins. Also, the week before BC got crushed at home by Pitt. So yeah, not exactly fair to say BC was a winning team going into the USC game.

To that point UConn sold out Michigan in week 3 coming off of a 5-7 campaign. So...

Reaction Score
To that point UConn sold out Michigan in week 3 coming off of a 5-7 campaign. So...
ya but in case you haven't heard, it was 16,000 Michigan fans and only 24,000 UConn fans.

Reaction Score
ya but in case you haven't heard, it was 16,000 Michigan fans and only 24,000 UConn fans.

Incredible they can pull the numbers on that. Also, must have been a shortage of Maize and Blue because I don't remember the breakdown at Rentschler looking like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom