UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You were also the only division 1 program in NE for much of that time. Impressive. :rolleyes:
True. BC did decide to financially invest to move up a Division a couple of decades before Uconn decided it wanted to move up in football a Division. BC's rival was Holy Cross in football. For many decades too. It was each school's biggest game of the year.... by far. When BC decided to invest to move up in Division, they wanted Holy Cross to financially invest to do so as well. But HC School President ( Fr. Brooks ) elected not to do so. It would have been great for N.E. College football in my opinion. But HC elected not to do so. So BC moved on and up. And now sadly, BC no longer plays its long time football rival at all. Thats HC's loss now however. BC did not lose a thing with HC's decision not to invest the time, money, effort to move up a Division at that time.... and BC is not responsible for HC not making the investment to move up a Division when BC did way back then either.

Last edited:

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
True. BC did decide to financially invest to move up a Division a couple of decades before Uconn decided it wanted to move up in football a Division. BC's rival was Holy Cross in football. For many decades too. It was each school's biggest game of the year.... by far. When BC decided to invest to move up in Division, they wanted Holy Cross to financially invest to do so as well. But HC School President ( Fr. Brooks ) elected not to do so. It would have been great for N.E. College football in my opinion. But HC elected not to do so. So BC moved on and up. And now sadly, BC no longer plays its long time football rival at all. Thats HC's loss now however. BC did not lose a thing with HC's decision not to invest the time, money, effort to move up a Division at that time.... and BC is not responsible for HC not making the investment to move up a Division when BC did way back then either.

Who cares? Just pointing out being the king of New England football when you were the only show in town is a less than impressive monicker.

Reaction Score
I started to respond to this and suddently realized that that was not directed at me. I need to remember that being called a blowhard is different than being called a condescending a hole.

You are aware that I was busting your balls with that comment yes?

Anyway, I'm not fooled by any of these smarmy blowhards from BC playing Mr. Nice Guy on our board.

Reaction Score
This might or might not be true. But I've never met these Uconn football fans that you are refering too here .My own personal experience is that all the Uconn football fans that I personally know ( my family, workers, acquainances) would much prefer to see a game with BC than with most of the P5 conference teams. For example BC would have more interest to the Uconn football fans than one with Indiana, Washington State, Cal., Maryland, West Virgina, Louisville, and many others. Sure, a Uconn- Florida game would get me and others interested, but the vast majority of Uconn grads that still live in N.E. are in favor of this game. Just look at the number of thread views on this thread topic. It beats any thread topic interest on most of the AAC programs that Uconn football currently plays AND more interest than most of the P5 conference teams as well.

You better change your sample size. A UConn-BC game would draw a lot of regional interest,yes. But, you had to go a step farther & use West Virginia in your example. UConn fans would much rather revive the series with the Mountaineers than one with the Eagles. After the demonstration of care & solace shown by EERs fans in the game just after the murder of Jasper Howard, West Virginia University hold a special place in the hearts of UConn fans.

Reaction Score
BC Football IS the power in New England College Football. For the last 35 years, 98% of the time, BC has dominated College Football in New England every much as had Uconn Men's Basketball dominated New England College Basketball in the region. Yes, there were a couple of years in these 35 years where Uconn was better in football than BC.... but there were a couple of years in the last 35 years where Uconn Basketball was not the number 1 program in N.E. THAT year too.. But Uconn Basketball is still the best basketball program 98% of the time in N.E., the same way that BC football is the number best college football program in N.E. 98% of the time as well.

As such, Uconn DOES need to negotiate this in terms acceptable to BC.... as BC IS " the power " in N.E....the same way that BC needs to negotiate its football schedules with Notre Dame in a manner that recognizes that ND is " the power " and BC is not " the power " in this relationship. BC would agree to play ND anywhere, anytime, and 12 times a year in South Bend if that gets ND on the BC schedule. Uconn and Umass need BC on its football schedule, far , far more than BC needs Umass or Uconn football on its schedule. So Uconn should make the deal, no matter what it takes, imo

I disagree entirely with this line of thinking. UConn does NOT need to cow tow to the whims of BC in terms of scheduling. Yes, UConn has reached out to Chestnut Hill about scheduling future games. It is BC that is trying to fill a hole in next year's schedule, not the Huskies. The UConn athletic department should NEVER genuflect to any opponent for scheduling purposes. That creates a perception of weakness & desperation. 2-fers or 3-fers are out of the question. There are plenty of institutions to negotiate with. UConn doesn't have to lower its standards to inflate the self importance BC. Deal with reality.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can I poll and find out whether folks think this guy is truly this myopic or is just trying to duckk with us? I go back and forth.......

Reaction Score
BC would agree to play ND anywhere, anytime, and 12 times a year in South Bend if that gets ND on the BC schedule. Uconn and Umass need BC on its football schedule, far , far more than BC needs Umass or Uconn football on its schedule. So Uconn should make the deal, no matter what it takes, imo

Funny, but when UConn was offered a 10 game deal with ND that was skewed highly their way (No home games at The Rent--- all games in South Bend or Giants/Patriots Stadium), UConn said NO. It's called respect (and truth be told, some State legal objections). But why do you feel BC is so desperate? You sound like you're a bit too willing to play the role of Notre Dame's b*tch.

Reaction Score
You are aware that I was busting your balls with that comment yes?

Anyway, I'm not fooled by any of these smarmy blowhards from BC playing Mr. Nice Guy on our board.

Yes, I know it was tongue in cheek. I thought it was pretty funny (hence, the "but I said with all due respect.").

But last night I couldn't resist.

Reaction Score
"Those BC football fans that are non alums, but live in NE. and go to the games would value a football game with Uconn...." .

You mean both of them? The biggest difference between BC and UConn is that UConn has fans beyond alumni. I'm a UConn diehard because I grew up going to games in Storrs. I went to college somewhere else but still bleed blue like thousands of others.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I hate how everything went down as much as anyone, but being bitter about the past serves us zippo going forward. What's our downside risk in playing them? There is none. The game makes too much sense for all involved to let something as silly as pride derail it.
Insisting on equal treatment from a perennial also-ran is being bitter and prideful?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Okay. So why doesn't BC continue to schedule UMass every year? Why bother calling up UConn? If you can sell out your stadium with the more hated r1val, UMass, on the schedule, why fuss around with little ol' UConn? According to Yawkey, the ideal BC home schedule (in the eyes of most BC fans/alum) would look something like:

UMass
Holy Cross
Boston University
Emerson College
ACC schedule

I'm sure we'll all see sellouts and raucous atmospheres again.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Why reward an entity that has done whatever they could to destroy our program?
I understand about equality and I'm generally in favor of it. I read this sentence as being opposed to playing them at all, instead of in an equal scenario.

Personally I think even a 3/2 is worth it to get the games played but certainly understand wanting 50/50.

Reaction Score
I understand about equality and I'm generally in favor of it. I read this sentence as being opposed to playing them at all, instead of in an equal scenario.

Personally I think even a 3/2 is worth it to get the games played but certainly understand wanting 50/50.

50/50 with our home games at the Rent or they can pound sand.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wonderful, Yawkee is back......
Not on my version of the Boneyard. Let me know if I miss anything worthwhile.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Not on my version of the Boneyard. Let me know if I miss anything worthwhile.

Just the usual banter: BC fans care more about scheduling UMass or Holy Cross than UConn.

A new add - BC football = UConn basketball. Comparing UConn basketball and BC football is one of the most absurd points ever brought up here. Stealing Dante Stallworth's Tom Brady/Ryan Tannehill comparison: that's like putting a rowboat up against a battleship. We get it - BC has been New England's top college football program for a while...mostly because it has been New England's only D-1 college football program for a while. But comparing an average program with very little fan support during good seasons (i.e. the reason why we are discussing UConn vs BC in the very first place) to a Top 5 elite hoops powerhouse is off the rocker, even for Yawkey.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the recap Dooley.

Reaction Score
Who cares? Just pointing out being the king of New England football when you were the only show in town is a less than impressive monicker.
I don't know about this. Sure, N.E. College Football is not Hockey, Basketball, etc and so forth. And its not the South, where College Football is king and with lots of programs vying for the " best show in Town ", but BC is still the best in this region of the Country 98% of the time, and it does probably mean a lot to them anyway to want to remain so.

Reaction Score
BC Football IS the power in New England College Football. For the last 35 years, 98% of the time, BC has dominated College Football in New England...

I am not sure how BC can claim to dominate New England football for 35+ years as until 1999, BC was the only D1A football team in New England. I supposed one can 'dominate' oneself; but, I am not going there at 10 AM on a Wednesday without any alcohol.

Plus, New England college football, outside of one Doug Flutie pass, has been irrelevant on the national scene since the early 1960's at the latest, which is when Holy Cross downgraded its football team (prior to 1966, BC held just a slight edge over Holy cross, 31 -29 - 3, which is not a domination). New England college football has been for the most part irrelevant on the national scene since the Ivies pulled back in the 1950's and during that golden era, it was Harvard and Yale that the nation talked about, not BC.

Now, if BC was able to string together several conference championships and NCAA titles in a row in hockey, where New England teams in Hockey East and to a lesser degree ECAC are national title contenders, then BC can talk about domination.

Reaction Score
. UConn fans would much rather revive the series with the Mountaineers than one with the Eagles. .

Oh I don't sense this at all, coachcap. If it were so, we would have multiple threads on here and in the Courant, Register, Sports Radio, etc with Uconn Football fans attempting to rally the call for games with West Virginia. I talk with my Uconn football family, friends in Connecticut, and none of them are are more interested in playing series with West Virginia over that of BC. That said, perhaps you are hanging out with a different group of Uconn football fans than I am, who knows. But its logical to assume that even on this board if there was this Uconn fans clarion call to play West Virginia in a series we would have seen multiple West Virginia threads on here by now, and with thousands of views. But we don't. So I don't sense all this all consuming interest on the part of most Uconn football fans in reviving football games with the ' Neers, that you do. Just as importantly, I sense no interest at all among the West Virginia football fans, media there, nor the school itself, to revive the annual series of football games with Uconn any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom