UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn @ BC -- 9/10/16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think if you polled UConn football fans, the majority would say Rutgers is our football rival. I don't think many RU fans feel the same way towards us.

While very one-sided with respect to the scoreboard, far and away, Rutgers fans view Penn State as their primary rival. The two schools played a lot of football before Penn St went to the B1G and Rutgers went to the old Big East, there are a LOT of New Jersey high school kids who go to Penn St for college, and they are neighboring state flagship universities of their respective states (about 3 1/2 hours apart by car).

The feeling though is not mutual. Penn State has honestly lost most of its old-school rivals when it joined the B1G in Pitt (played almost annually between 1900 and 1992) and Syracuse. The Nittany Lions have struggled to find a natural rival since neighboring Ohio St has The Game with Michigan and the two schools only played 8 times before Penn St joined the B1G. Michigan St could also work; but, Spartan fans are obsessed with Michigan even if that is not mutual either. What will likely happen over time is some form or rivalry will form between the trifecta of Penn St, Rutgers and Maryland. Of course, it would be a lot easier if the B1G added another eastern school, say UConn, then there would 4 teams to break into two pairs :cool:

PS - Temple fans view Penn St as their natural rival, definitely not mutual.

Reaction Score
This is a good game not for the benefit of either team but to show on tv that football college level is alive in the northeast. I know Uconn will have a healthy presence in bc and I am sure bc will travel well to Uconn. The tv should show two sold out games with loud crowds. Something neither school does well now

The only preference I have is waiting two more years to play bc. Do we really want this offensive line going against don brown blitz happy run stopping defense? No. Hopefully in two more years we can manage a better offense

Reaction Score
This is a good game not for the benefit of either team but to show on tv that football college level is alive in the northeast. I know Uconn will have a healthy presence in bc and I am sure bc will travel well to Uconn. The tv should show two sold out games with loud crowds. Something neither school does well now

The only preference I have is waiting two more years to play bc. Do we really want this offensive line going against don brown blitz happy run stopping defense? No. Hopefully in two more years we can manage a better offense

I'd take my chances with BC next year.

Reaction Score
For whatever reason, our fanbase didn't travel well down there but theirs always travelled well up here.

The reason is simple, no on wants to go to Jersey and everyone will look for any reason to leave for even a short period of time.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
For the record, this seems to be all UMass' AD's doing. BC would've actually been perfectly content with FIU (as terrible as that is), but according to Blaud's it's UMass pushing to change things.
So the UMass AD did not want to play UConn at home in what would have been their highest-attended game of the season? Where did Blaud say that?

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Trophy needs to be a giant OYSTER

photo-SilverOysterRIMG0039.jpg

Blue Point vs Wellfleet

Who ya got?

I am team Wellfleet (although not team BC)

Reaction Score
So the UMass AD did not want to play UConn at home in what would have been their highest-attended game of the season? Where did Blaud say that?

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=12760

Summary:
- BC lining up FIU and Wagner to fill out 2016.
- UMass AD interested in having both BC and UConn on the schedule annually.
- UMass AD "wheeling and dealing" to create an annual scheduling arrangement.
- UMass AD willing to swap a UConn home game for FIU in order to extend the BC series.

If you think that's disrespectful, that's your opinion. But that's the story as Blauds presented it.

Reaction Score
Tusky said:

Summary:
- UMass AD willing to swap a UConn home game for FIU in order to extend the BC series.

If you think that's disrespectful, that's your opinion. But that's the story as Blauds presented it.

Wagner. Lol.

Reaction Score
BC Football IS the power in New England College Football. For the last 35 years, 98% of the time, BC has dominated College Football in New England every much as had Uconn Men's Basketball dominated New England College Basketball in the region. Yes, there were a couple of years in these 35 years where Uconn was better in football than BC.... but there were a couple of years in the last 35 years where Uconn Basketball was not the number 1 program in N.E. THAT year too.. But Uconn Basketball is still the best basketball program 98% of the time in N.E., the same way that BC football is the number best college football program in N.E. 98% of the time as well.

As such, Uconn DOES need to negotiate this in terms acceptable to BC.... as BC IS " the power " in N.E....the same way that BC needs to negotiate its football schedules with Notre Dame in a manner that recognizes that ND is " the power " and BC is not " the power " in this relationship. BC would agree to play ND anywhere, anytime, and 12 times a year in South Bend if that gets ND on the BC schedule. Uconn and Umass need BC on its football schedule, far , far more than BC needs Umass or Uconn football on its schedule. So Uconn should make the deal, no matter what it takes, imo

35 years of futility is not an accomplishment

Reaction Score

Summary:

Of course Umass is behind all of this. After this season they are an independent and their scheduling is very difficult so they will do whatever they can to limit travel and play games against programs their fans have heard of.

Reaction Score
Love this. BC can't sell out FSU, and their fan in NJ, who I'm wagering doesn't go to any home games, wants a rotation of Fordham/HC/Nova.

Uconn has sold out 1 game since 2011 (UM where 40% of crowd was maize/blue), maybe pump the brakes on the attendance thing.

pj

Reaction Score
BC has dominated College Football in New England every much as had Uconn Men's Basketball dominated New England College Basketball in the region. Yes, there were a couple of years in these 35 years where Uconn was better in football than BC.... but there were a couple of years in the last 35 years where Uconn Basketball was not the number 1 program in N.E. THAT year too.. But Uconn Basketball is still the best basketball program 98% of the time in N.E., the same way that BC football is the number best college football program in N.E. 98% of the time as well.

As such, Uconn DOES need to negotiate this in terms acceptable to BC....

So, in light of UConn's basketball dominance, BC needs to negotiate a 2 games at Gampel for 1 game at Conte basketball deal?

Reaction Score
Chief is me.
How's the ? I mean, Andre??

UMass has complete schedules for 2016 and 2017 and have games scheduled beyond. Methinks they're going to stay at this level. AAC schools are lending UMass a helping hand. UMass AND UConn in the Big Ten would be kind of insane. Western Mass would become relevant to the dismay of eastern Mass and the Knowledge Corridor reaches it's peak. Certainly would take years to get there.

Reaction Score
So, in light of UConn's basketball dominance, BC needs to negotiate a 2 games at Gampel for 1 game at Conte basketball deal?
Sure, why not. Uconn has the power in N.E. to call the shots in Basketball scheduling between the 2 schools, and BC has the power in N.E. to call the shots in Football scheduling between the 2 schools. And as mentioned above, its always a given that all schools operate on the basis that uneven negotiations can sometimes work for both schools long range future self interests.... and on the other hand, sometimes one school opts not to participate in what it perceives to not be agreeable terms to its own future self interests, and decides not to agree to scheduling terms.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love this. BC can't sell out FSU, and their fan in NJ, who I'm wagering doesn't go to any home games, wants a rotation of Fordham/HC/Nova.
Not surprising however. He's from New Jersey. Those in Massachusetts would have no interest in Fordham or Nova. It would most likely be Umass, Holy Cross, Uconn, UNH ( in that order ) for BC's Massachusetts fans for local interest filler for BC's future football opponents. ( mine however would be Uconn, Holy Cross, Umass, UNH ( in that order, for local interest filler for BC's future out of conference scheduling )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom