UConn Arkansas | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes this matchup may be a problem. I have no idea why. Why?!? I’m thinking more zone and possibly some Samson. Doesn’t make sense. But I’m seeing this even if it’s just 4-6 minutes.

There is no way we break out Samson in a sweet-16 game for meaningful minutes for the first time this season unless things are going horribly wrong.

A little 2-3 zone could be a good idea, but I'm never in favor of leaving your identity. Zone is more of a last resort for us.

I'd rather just change our man defense though. Focus on stepping off and playing the driving lanes instead of a constant denial of the 3 like we did with SMC (and most opponents)

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s a tough situation because Adama has been the most dominant player in the tournament so far, but seems like this would be a great game for a Clingan zone

I trust the staff
It helps Clingan to come in after Adama has worn down the post defense or caused them foul trouble. Then Donovan comes it, gives a different look on D and offense, wears them down more. Adama comes back fresh and just goes to work against those bigs. It's a devastating formula. No reason to change it. If it is better to play in drop coverage on D, Sanogo can do that. But really the hedge can be more effective at shutting down the driving.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
And keep switching it up, throw in some of the 1-3-1 trapping zone as well.
That one is a bad idea. 1-3-1 doesnt stop driving. I think a little 2-3 sprinkled in from time to time would be ok.

Reaction Score
A little 2-3 zone could be a good idea, but I'm never in favor of leaving your identity. Zone is more of a last resort for us.

I'd rather just change our man defense though. Focus on stepping off and playing the driving lanes instead of a constant denial of the 3 like we did with SMC (and most opponents)
"identity" vs Ego...Matt Painter is done now, because he didnt see the logic in not having zach edy have to man up a super quick 6-4 guy at FDU...he wont play zone, and they are done- thats ego

Jay Wright brought up the ego phrase at the half (though it may be more geared to st marys playing uptempo)

if we adjust our man d away from the "identity"of denying outside 3 pt line & therefore not giving true help defense TO a shell help man that takes away Arkansas drives , that would be a great coaching adjustment IMO...plus we can get 2 bigs in together for a bit with this coaching tweak

Reaction Score
Will be entertaining with Musselman versus Hurley, much like Oates versus Hurley earlier in the year. Musselman, Hurley and Oates all are b-a-n-a-n-a-s and I love it.

This Arkansas team is scary and can match our size/athleticism/talent all over, something St Mary’s and Iona couldn’t do. Staying out of foul trouble will be key. Btw, stellar officiating all around in the tourney, a stark difference from Big East play. The refs have clearly been letting the players play. Let’s see that continue in a game that will be highly physical against Arkansas.

caw

Reaction Score
if you consider st marys guards "quick", what are arkansas's? i felt AJ gave up way too much penetration to freshman Mahaney, even without the high hedge rotation...i like the idea of shell man or zone at times (with two bigs), or we risk seeing a st johns first game layup line at times

Tall, strong, fast, athletic, bad shot makers.

Jackson should do better against Arkansas because they are more his size. Seriously, in some ways it will be like playing himself, especially if they have him on Council.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

on CBS

No big deal, but the committee does like to try and dunk on us in any and every way they can. Dropped us a seed line to purposely match us against Pitino. Make us play one of the last round of 32 games and the very first Sweet 16 game across the country. Arkansas with a full day off more than us. They should really try and keep the integrity Thursday/Sat and Fri/Sun stuff the first 2 weekends. It can't be that hard to do.

I don't care. Bring it on committee losers, we will be fine. I see you though.

Your scheduling is great:

tr.jpg

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Jordon walsh is not half the defender jackson is. He is long and robotic. I have seen most of their games. Uconn should handle arkansas easily. Very poor 3 point shooting and sloppy unforced turnovers. Very good matchup for uconn

Walsh is an absolute stud on defense. He plays so solid and positionally but he’s also long and a good athlete.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It helps Clingan to come in after Adama has worn down the post defense or caused them foul trouble. Then Donovan comes it, gives a different look on D and offense, wears them down more. Adama comes back fresh and just goes to work against those bigs. It's a devastating formula. No reason to change it. If it is better to play in drop coverage on D, Sanogo can do that. But really the hedge can be more effective at shutting down the driving.

I think people (sometimes me too) get impatient but the formula works perfectly for the full 40.

By the time the 2nd half comes the other team is worn down and we’re still fresh.

Reaction Score
No big deal, but the committee does like to try and dunk on us in any and every way they can. Dropped us a seed line to purposely match us against Pitino. Make us play one of the last round of 32 games and the very first Sweet 16 game across the country. Arkansas with a full day off more than us. They should really try and keep the integrity Thursday/Sat and Fri/Sun stuff the first 2 weekends. It can't be that hard to do.

View attachment 85396
We just played a second round game 1 hour from the CT border against St. Mary's.

Reaction Score
If you look back to the 14-0 run Alleyne actually was in a major slump, Hurley even made it a point to try to get him going in the LIU game before conference play started. Up until this point we have not seen all 5 guys off the bench playing up to their potential. Alleyne and Joey are streaky but when they are hitting shots off the bench they really do complete a second unit able to start for a lot of teams. Here’s to hoping the bench can continue the streak for 4 more games.

Reaction Score

View attachment 85396
I was wondering about scheduling as well. How much of a scheduling advantage is it for the teams that have 1 more day to prepare than their opponents? I doubt if the 1 day for rest matters for college athletes but wondering about that as well.

Reaction Score
Myron Medcalf has us fifth and Arkansas 11th as he seeded the remaining 16 teams. Bilas has his butt planted comfortably on the UConn bandwagon based on his comments on Get Up this morning.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Myron Medcalf has us fifth and Arkansas 11th as he seeded the remaining 16 teams. Bilas has his butt planted comfortably on the UConn bandwagon based on his comments on Get Up this morning.

Never change the rules once a game is started. Reseeding is an absurdly stupid idea.

Reaction Score
Devo Davis is arkansas' best all around player. He's a demon as an on the ball defender and can score as a slasher if necessary.

Reaction Score
Are they going to try to put Brazile on Sanogo? He's their normal starting big (I think) and is only 212lbs. Wonder if they'll try to play Makhi Mitchell more. He's about Sanogo's size at 6'9 230.

Their size is going to give us fits if we aren't intelligent moving the ball and hunting for the right shot. Think this could be a game where Karaban's decision-making could be important. Newton and Andre limiting TOs will be key.

I think we'll be fine on defense. We'll have a great scout and keep these guys from iso'ing in the lane.

Reaction Score
Are they going to try to put Brazile on Sanogo? He's their normal starting big (I think) and is only 212lbs. Wonder if they'll try to play Makhi Mitchell more. He's about Sanogo's size at 6'9 230.

Their size is going to give us fits if we aren't intelligent moving the ball and hunting for the right shot. Think this could be a game where Karaban's decision-making could be important. Newton and Andre limiting TOs will be key.

I think we'll be fine on defense. We'll have a great scout and keep these guys from iso'ing in the lane.
Brazile is hurt. Out since December. It'll be a Mitchell.

Reaction Score

Brazile tore his ACL in December.

Reaction Score

Good to see Danny O representing on Get Up for both the men and women. He has become Mr. Husky. Bilas has mentioned UConn in the past as well but also hedged his bets with Arizona depending on what show he was on.

Reaction Score
We can’t foul on drives. This team is a 4x better St. John’s. They are going to try and kill us going to hole.
This concerns me. If there is one thing we seem to poorly defend, it's this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#
Top Bottom