The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2023 | Page 13 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2023

Reaction Score
I’m good with Verdugo it’s a start. Honestly think he’s better than a .264 hitter let’s see

Reaction Score
I’m good with Verdugo it’s a start. Honestly think he’s better than a .264 hitter let’s see
Yeah, I like the trade.

It's oddly refreshing to see the Yankees acquire someone who is so balanced as a player. Happy they added a LH hitter too.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Does this mean...no more Soto? Or is he added in addition to Soto? Or will he be part of the trade for Soto?

He is a corner outfielder...like Judge...like Soto...and like Stanton ( when he doesn't DH. They can find room for him by moving Judge to center...you just wonder if he will end up being part of Soto trade.

Reaction Score
Does this mean...no more Soto? Or is he added in addition to Soto? Or will he be part of the trade for Soto?

He is a corner outfielder...like Judge...like Soto...and like Stanton ( when he doesn't DH. They can find room for him by moving Judge to center...you just wonder if he will end up being part of Soto trade.

Hearing Soto close to a done deal today. Jack Curry is all over it. There was a rumor Verdugo would be added to the pot but no, seems the Yanks want both.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Hearing Soto close to a done deal today. Jack Curry is all over it. There was a rumor Verdugo would be added to the pot but no, seems the Yanks want both.
Jake Cronenworth may be coming, too.

Reaction Score
I would personally prefer that NY not give up King and Thorpe. They don't know what they'll have with Rodon or Nestor in '24. 100% any NY players only provide one season of Soto. Boras will absolutely take him to free agency, unless Hal offers an Ohtani size contract. A year from now, they can have Soto and their prospects.

Reaction Score
I would personally prefer that NY not give up King and Thorpe. They don't know what they'll have with Rodon or Nestor in '24. 100% any NY players only provide one season of Soto. Boras will absolutely take him to free agency, unless Hal offers an Ohtani size contract. A year from now, they can have Soto and their prospects.
No it needs to get done this is for Juan Soto he’s 25 and your signing him to an extension your the Yankees start acting like it, cant waste Judge and Cole’s prime anymore the trade has to have some hurt to it for Soto your not getting fleeced apparantly, sign Yommato too. If Soto is a rental I guess you better win the World Series then.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Just tuned to MLB Network. An agreement btw Yanks and Pods is happening.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
IMG_7395.jpeg

Reaction Score
No it needs to get done this is for Juan Soto he’s 25 and your signing him to an extension your the Yankees start acting like it, cant waste Judge and Cole’s prime anymore the trade has to have some hurt to it for Soto your not getting fleeced apparantly, sign Yommato too. If Soto is a rental I guess you better win the World Series then.
OK, so now it gets tricky. Soto already turned down an offer $80 million above Judge's contract. Boras will definitely want more than Judge is getting. He will get - from NY or elsewhere - more in total $ and yearly compensation than Judge. It will take a monster offer to sign Soto before free agency. Will judge be cool with that, after being anointed Mr. Yankee a year ago? Will Hal break the bank and still go after Yamamoto to shore up the iffy rotation?

Reaction Score
Love Soto, but SD won this trade. Not to rain on the parade, but NY gave up a lot for one year of Soto. If they sign him to a long-term deal, they very likely could have done so a year from now and kept quite a bit of organization depth.

Grisham comes in with a 28.2 percent strikeout rate over his last two seasons combined, the fifth-highest mark of all qualified batters since the beginning of the 2022 season. His .191 batting average in that same time frame is the worst of any qualified hitter in baseball.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Since the Yankees gave up so much, I hope they have a strong belief they can sign Soto.

Either way...they had to do it. The team was awful on offense. Any other moves wouldn't move the needle that much. Soto does.

It's a bold move with a ton of risk...but I like it. 2024 will be fun to watch and hopefully he stays beyond the one year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
OK, so now it gets tricky. Soto already turned down an offer $80 million above Judge's contract. Boras will definitely want more than Judge is getting. He will get - from NY or elsewhere - more in total $ and yearly compensation than Judge. It will take a monster offer to sign Soto before free agency. Will judge be cool with that, after being anointed Mr. Yankee a year ago? Will Hal break the bank and still go after Yamamoto to shore up the iffy rotation?
What was the average annual value of the contract that he turned down? It was $80mm more but the term was five years longer (which incrementally amounts to $16mm per year for each of the additional years).

Boras will take him to free agency. Unless Cohen decides to blow everyone out of the water we will be able to sign him to a deal with similar AAV to Judge, running about twelve years. We will likely structure it so that Judge is slightly higher paid during the first five or six years and their compensation is equal for the remainder of Judge's contract.

Reaction Score
I'm thrilled with the trade. The prospects they gave up are the price you have to pay to land one of the top players in MLB early in his prime. Congratulations to Michael King for turning himself into the type of player that can headline a deal like that. But while I wish him well, he's always had a history of trouble staying on the field. As for the others, I'm tired of the Yankees holding on to their top prospects only to have them fizzle out and lose their trade value. The Yankees have dealt with Boras before and, if Soto is a star in NY, I feel comfortable that they'll be able to sign to a long-term deal.

Moving Judge to CF full time is a concern from a wear and tear perspective, but other Yankee greats have done it, so I'm sure Judge will too. Maybe King and the others turn into a 1990's Braves rotation for San Diego, but that's the risk you have to take.

Reaction Score
Moving Judge to CF full time is a concern from a wear and tear perspective, but other Yankee greats have done it, so I'm sure Judge will too.
Moving Judge to CF is also a temporary solution. For example, if Soto is extended, then Judge and Soto could man the corners and then the team finds a OFer capable of manning CF starting in 2025.

It's obviously early, but this lineup below looks wayyyyy more palatable in the early stages of the offseason. Like, I'm psyched now.

1) DJ - 3B
2) Judge - CF
3) Soto - RF
4) Rizzo - 1B
5) Torres - 2B
6) Stanton - DH
7) Verdugo - LF
8) Volpe - SS
9) Wells/Trevino - C

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Moving Judge to CF is also a temporary solution. For example, if Soto is extended, then Judge and Soto could man the corners and then the team finds a OFer capable of manning CF starting in 2025.

It's obviously early, but this lineup below looks wayyyyy more palatable in the early stages of the offseason. Like, I'm psyched now.

1) DJ - 3B
2) Judge - CF
3) Soto - RF
4) Rizzo - 1B
5) Torres - 2B
6) Stanton - DH
7) Verdugo - LF
8) Volpe - SS
9) Wells/Trevino - C
Not a bad plan but I would prefer something like this (will explain):

1) Verdugo - LF
2) Judge - CF
3) Soto - RF
4) Stanton - DH
5) Rizzo - 1B
6) Torres - 3B
7) Volpe - SS
8) Wells/Trevino - C
9) Peraza - 2B

• The first six batters alternate batting left/right
  • Verdugo is a contact/ low strikeout hitter.
  • We could have a 10-12 year middle infield pair with Volpe & Peraza. Peraza has considerably more range than Gleyber
  • Third is a more natural position for Gleyber's body type. That it also is more of a reaction position there should be fewer brain farts. We can find out if he can man this position and decide whether or not to move on from him afterwards. In all candor, as we knew we had Volpe & Peraza in the pipeline, this should have been the move two years ago (instead of Donaldson and moving Gleyber to second). We could have played DJ at second and found a bridge shortstop. All water under the bridge.
  • Peraza batting ninth won't slow down the top of the order when he gets on base.
The rumor is DJ is basically going to spell Rizzo at first periodically and occasionally play some second and third to spell the other infielders. Not sure we can play him regularly without him breaking down.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's a better fit in NY than with Boston. Solid all around player. Decent average (probably higher in Yankee Stadium), some walks, some pop, good defense, decent baserunner. Boston was simply way too left handed and has two OF expected to jump from AAA this year. Yankees lineup looks very impressive.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I believe the intent is for Dominguez to take over CF in 2025. Hopefully Judge in center is a one year thing.

Reaction Score
I don’t care go over the luxury tax sign Yommamottto and resign Dominguez. Judge is a captain I’m sure he won’t be suffering Jeter played with Arod over 10 years. You lose a 1st rd pick? Big deal, also didn’t have a 1st rd pick in a year we could've used one so it shows that Cashman fails to live up to his own genius philosophy.

You give Soto a 10 year deal he’s 35 at the end of it. You Need to factor in the upcoming contracts coming off the books eventually like Rizzo, DJ, Gleyber, Stanton. Let’s not forget Dominguez, Spencer Jones, Peraza and Volpe so money will be freed up to sign them should they pan out.

The good thing about Soto being a rental for the time being is that it will put a ton of pressure on Cashman from the media to put a championship roster together, have to go all in now, can’t waste Judge and Cole’s prime any more.

Reaction Score
I believe the intent is for Dominguez to take over CF in 2025. Hopefully Judge in center is a one year thing.
To me it seems like Judge major injuries we’re against a damn fence.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Seeing Ohtani sign for $700M...I gotta admit...I am glad it isn't the Yankees. I wonder about his future pitching...and injuries overall.

Reaction Score
It’s been a few years, but we’ve got our first “Ninja Cash” trade of the season w/ the Yankees acquiring LHP reliever Victor Martinez and IF prospect Jorbit Vivas for Trey Sweeney.

FWIW, Rosenthal wrote that Yankees took advantage of Dodgers’ need to clear roster space by trading a prospect who probably won’t make the Dodgers top-20 list.

Gonzalez is a potential Peralta replacement who’ll only make 1M next season and is a plus-sinker, average-slider guy.

Vivas is a high-contact bat who is a 2B by trade and can handle 3B as well. Not a lot of power and above average speed. MLB.com lists him as NYY’s 10th best prospect. Profiles as bench utility guy while Sweeney isn’t a good defender and can’t hit breaking balls.

Long story short, I feel like the Yankees got value from taking advantage of LAD’s roster crunch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom