The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2023 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2023

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So last night the Pirates blew a 9th inning lead because Derek Shelton decided to imitate John McNamara. Pretty much every single time the Bucs went into the 9th with a lead, Akila Williams goes to short, Liover Peguero moves to 2b, and Bae goes to CF. For God only knows what reason, Shelton left Bae in at 2b. And what should've been a game-ending DP turns into 3 runs for y'all.

Granted, Holderman dug himself a big hole, but that was one infuriating loss for us Pirates fans.

Reaction Score
So last night the Pirates blew a 9th inning lead because Derek Shelton decided to imitate John McNamara. Pretty much every single time the Bucs went into the 9th with a lead, Akila Williams goes to short, Liover Peguero moves to 2b, and Bae goes to CF. For God only knows what reason, Shelton left Bae in at 2b. And what should've been a game-ending DP turns into 3 runs for y'all.

Granted, Holderman dug himself a big hole, but that was one infuriating loss for us Pirates fans.
If you can’t win a series against this Yankees team there really is no hope for the Pirates.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Whenever a 37 year old blunder can be referenced by the manager who did it, you just have to take that shot. That's some backhanded high praise, right there.

For example, If a gimpy, way-past-his-prime, outfielder hits a walk off homerun off a mediocre-starter-turned-game-changing-best-closer in baseball, no one ever says their manager pulled a "LaRussa." :D

Reaction Score
Michael King 7 innings 5 hits 1 run and 13Ks nice full outing looks like he may be in the rotation next year or get a shot. Of course the bullpen loses.

And they still can’t hit. Very disappointed in Volpe .208 showed little improvement just not a good hitter overall. Also none of the kids besides Dominguez have done much at all to think there’s something in the waiting. Scary how bad of a baseball team Cashman has put together.

Reaction Score
Random musings entering the final weekend of the season and looking ahead to next year:

Batters:
  • Extend Torres this offseason. Torres is clearly the 2nd best hitter on the team and a good enough fielder to have him mainstay at 2B for the next six years or so. .874 OPS post-All Star break
  • Encourage Volpe to hit less HRs and get on base more. I'd rather have him hit 8 HRs and have a .350 OBP than hit 20 HRs and scrape his way to .300 OBP. He's such an asset on the base paths, anyone can HR trot.
  • Peraza isn't an untouchable.
  • LeMahieu had a .794 OPS post All-Star Break compared to .643 before the break.
  • I'd keep IKF another year, but Cabrera was so unimpressive.
  • I'm open to Wells starting next season on the final roster
  • Judge is good. He's got potential
Pitchers
  • Very happy with King (1.13 WHIP in 52 innings) and Brito's (1.07 WHIP in 35 2/3 innings) end to the season.
    • Assuming good health, a Cole, Nestor, Rodon, Schmidt, King rotation might be it, but I still think a short-term UFA should be signed.
  • Let's see what we can get for Holmes.

Reaction Score
Some "way too early predictions" from The Athletic's writers:

• Sign SP Yamamoto to a $200 million deal.
    • Cashman and Minaya watched Yamamoto live in Japan when he pitched a no-hitter.
    • Over seven seasons, Yamamoto has a 1.72 ERA, 9.2 K/9, 2.0 BB/9
    • Just turned 25.
  • Sign Cody Bellinger to a six-year, 150 million deal
    • Turned 28 in July
    • After two down seasons, Bellinger hit .307, 26 HR, 97 RBI, .881 OPS for Cubs
  • Yankees acquire UTL Brandon Donovan using prospect pitchers
    • Two years of pre-arb remaining on his contract
    • A low-K (123 Ks 718 ABs), high-OBP (.380) lefty hitter
    • Considering the lack of quality hitters in free agency, the article mentions Yankees to acquire these types of hitters.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Brandon Donovan sounds like the exact opposite of Cashmans computer model player.

My prediction is he will trade Gleyber for an aging 35 year old right hand hitter on a big contract and then use that as an excuse for not signing a guy we could really use like Bellinger.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Some "way too early predictions" from The Athletic's writers:

• Sign SP Yamamoto to a $200 million deal.
    • Cashman and Minaya watched Yamamoto live in Japan when he pitched a no-hitter.
    • Over seven seasons, Yamamoto has a 1.72 ERA, 9.2 K/9, 2.0 BB/9
    • Just turned 25.
  • Sign Cody Bellinger to a six-year, 150 million deal
    • Turned 28 in July
    • After two down seasons, Bellinger hit .307, 26 HR, 97 RBI, .881 OPS for Cubs
  • Yankees acquire UTL Brandon Donovan using prospect pitchers
    • Two years of pre-arb remaining on his contract
    • A low-K (123 Ks 718 ABs), high-OBP (.380) lefty hitter
    • Considering the lack of quality hitters in free agency, the article mentions Yankees to acquire these types of hitters.
Has Yamamoto had injury issues? If not, I can't see why they would be interested ;) ( see Rodon and Montas)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Rumor has it the Yanks will go hard after Bellinger Speculation is that this is Hal's desire, not Cashman's.

If I were in charge I'd try with Gleyber what they should have tried two years ago and put him at third base. HIs body type is more suited for that position and at that time they were moving him out of short anyway Having less time to think (defensively it's a reaction position) may reduce the number of mental lapses Of greater importance, the plan for the next dozen years should be some configuration of Volpe & Perazza at second & short

Reaction Score
Rumor has it the Yanks will go hard after Bellinger Speculation is that this is Hal's desire, not Cashman's.

If I were in charge I'd try with Gleyber what they should have tried two years ago and put him at third base. HIs body type is more suited for that position and at that time they were moving him out of short anyway Having less time to think (defensively it's a reaction position) may reduce the number of mental lapses Of greater importance, the plan for the next dozen years should be some configuration of Volpe & Perazza at second & short

He had a decent year, if only because there were no others on the team to overshadow him. He still makes lazy and mental errors too often. If he’s worth an impact pitcher deal him. If he stays I’m ok too but no biggie either way he’s been part of the problem.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Random musings entering the final weekend of the season and looking ahead to next year:

Batters:
  • Extend Torres this offseason. Torres is clearly the 2nd best hitter on the team and a good enough fielder to have him mainstay at 2B for the next six years or so. .874 OPS post-All Star break
  • Encourage Volpe to hit less HRs and get on base more. I'd rather have him hit 8 HRs and have a .350 OBP than hit 20 HRs and scrape his way to .300 OBP. He's such an asset on the base paths, anyone can HR trot.
  • Peraza isn't an untouchable.
  • LeMahieu had a .794 OPS post All-Star Break compared to .643 before the break.
  • I'd keep IKF another year, but Cabrera was so unimpressive.
  • I'm open to Wells starting next season on the final roster
  • Judge is good. He's got potential
Pitchers
  • Very happy with King (1.13 WHIP in 52 innings) and Brito's (1.07 WHIP in 35 2/3 innings) end to the season.
    • Assuming good health, a Cole, Nestor, Rodon, Schmidt, King rotation might be it, but I still think a short-term UFA should be signed.
  • Let's see what we can get for Holmes.
Is German still in the picture? Obviously he’s a problem child. He’s in an arbitration year

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Is German still in the picture? Obviously he’s a problem child. He’s in an arbitration year
Hops the guy can get clean and maybe CC can be his sponsor in that, but even though he had a perfect game I just felt like he was a bad guy to have in the clubhouse (same with Chapman). Take of that statement what you want, but I’d rather we move on…

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Hey Cash, Jordan Montgomery's on the phone. And he's laaaaaghing out loud.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hey Cash, Jordan Montgomery's on the phone. And he's laaaaaghing out loud.
Yeah, but we have Rodon, Montas, Severino and German. A full rotation to be proud of plus Harrison Bader patrolling CF for years to come.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but we have Rodon, Montas, Severino and German. A full rotation to be proud of plus Harrison Bader patrolling CF for years to come.
The problem with Bader is he appeared in as many games as Montgomery :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Also imagine not wanting to even negotiate with Bryce Harper because we had too many outfielders that would be the Yankees.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
See if Cashman can find that out. We’re doomed for some bad baseball again without multiple moves in a different direction than his beliefs.
Yup. Otherwise all those young guys have to blossom. They are stuck with Rodon and the hope with him has to be he fins whatever it was that made him successful. Montas ditto. As you said, too many questions. I will say that until Judge and Riz got injured the Yankees were definitely in the picture and had one of the best run differentials in the league. So there is something possible with the right additions. Hey, Husky hoop season is almost here.

Reaction Score
Yup. Otherwise all those young guys have to blossom. They are stuck with Rodon and the hope with him has to be he fins whatever it was that made him successful. Montas ditto. As you said, too many questions. I will say that until Judge and Riz got injured the Yankees were definitely in the picture and had one of the best run differentials in the league. So there is something possible with the right additions. Hey, Husky hoop season is almost here.
Until is not a good reason though as you know. Unfortunately for Rizzo it’s hurt again and minus 2 years ago I’m afraid it’s not all that different with Judge.

But agree, hoop season is here!

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Also imagine not wanting to even negotiate with Bryce Harper because we had too many outfielders that would be the Yankees.
That one hurt. I really wanted Harper in pinstripes. And I think he wanted to be a Yankee.

But...the Yankees had Stanton...so they didn't need Harper

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Bader for Montgomery has to rank up there with Cater for Lyle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom