The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2023 | The Boneyard

The Official Thread of The New York Yankees - 2023

Reaction Score
I've been so caught up in this Huskies run that I haven't gotten as excited about baseball as usual, but I'm pumped for the season to begin. Let's hope the early injury bug that has decimated our starting rotation is not a sign of things to come this season. Definitely looking forward to seeing what Volpe can do. I'm sure he'll look clueless at times, but his upside seems off the charts.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Not at all. It's more of, "Wait till Serverino, Rodon & Montas" get back.
But Severino is the key. He's been the missing link for four years.

Reaction Score
Judge wasting no time, he only needs another 61 hrs to have a chance at winning another MVP.

Listening to WFAN today John Sterling is going to have a very hard time keeping up with the new pace, as soon as Cole struck out a guy, he calls the next pitch a strike before he even announcers who the next batter is.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
16 K's... for both teams?! No contact in greater than 50% of the AB's? Oh that makes the game much better doesn't it.

Reaction Score
16 K's... for both teams?! No contact in greater than 50% of the AB's? Oh that makes the game much better doesn't it.

Yep built to win LOL. Cabrera did he touch the ball? The fact he and Hicks were battling for LF is all you need to know about Cashman and the Yanks. 16K's against the worst team in the NL, but it will get better.

Nice win, Giants absolutely suck!

Reaction Score
Yep built to win LOL. Cabrera did he touch the ball? The fact he and Hicks were battling for LF is all you need to know about Cashman and the Yanks. 16K's against the worst team in the NL, but it will get better.

Nice win, Giants absolutely suck!
Not to worry Hicks will be back right into the lineup on Saturday. Cabrera gave the team a spark last year but he’s more of a utility guy.

The Martian can’t get up to the bigs fast enough sure he might need more time but if the kid is killing it in AAA call him the hell up and don’t wait till September who cares if he’s 20. Juan Soto was 19 when he won a World Series.

Reaction Score
I'm really impressed with Jhony Brito's debut.

Works fast, good body language on the mound, efficient five innings (76 pitches, two hits, six strikeouts, no runs).

Not really overpowering stuff, but more of the type of pitcher I like to watch: a smart, strategic guy who works the zone. Fastball/change/slider guy...

Solid AAA stats from last year: 15 starts, 3.31 ERA, 1.154 WHIP, 3.1 BB/9

Hats off to Brito, awesome debut with three of our starters on the DL.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if Stanton's shot has landed yet. 485 ft at almost 118mph. Nobody looks worse than Stanton when he's not going well, but he can put a dent in the ball when he connects

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
@Dove feel free to delete this thread if you wanted to start the "official" official thread, but excited for opening day today!

Cole, Judge the Captain, Volpe...let's go!
Ha ha!

Reaction Score
Nice watching a matinee during a day off from work.

Three-run BOMB from Frenchy Cordero. He's been a AAA-MLB for the last two years, but .900+ OPS in Boston's AAA in the previous two years show some promise.

Just 28 years old, he's a five-tool guy who just hasn't put it all together, maybe another Ninja Cash pickup as a potential righty-mashing platoon option for this year?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Baseball supposedly polices pitchers for such not allowing necklaces outside the shirt, other possibly distracting things on uniform or glove. So when is it ok for them to have very long hair blowing in the wind? Could require a pony tail or some other restriction without forcing a trimming.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Hoping for the best as the year goes on but did Montas and Rodon actually take physicals before their respective deals were done? WTF

Taking the (Fairfield resident) Carl Pavano route to riches.

Reaction Score
Hoping for the best as the year goes on but did Montas and Rodon actually take physicals before their respective deals were done? WTF

Taking the (Fairfield resident) Carl Pavano route to riches.

One word - Cashman

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if Stanton's shot has landed yet. 485 ft at almost 118mph. Nobody looks worse than Stanton when he's not going well, but he can put a dent in the ball when he connects
And.........he's out again.

StllH8L8ner

Reaction Score
Just saw Sonny Gray is leading the league in ERA. Can’t fault Cash for that one, he just wasn’t made for the Bronx.

Reaction Score
And.........he's out again.
I like Stanton and am willing to live with the long periods of terrible swings for those times where he carries the team. He seems like a good teammate and I've appreciated how he's understood that he's not "the man" on this Yankees team. That said, it's ridiculous that he's missed over 40% of the games over the past four years. Is he just that brittle? Is he not training correctly? He seems to understand how unacceptable this is, but what can be done about it? Even when he's not going well, he has to be pitched carefully to. The bottom of the order these days seem to be automatic outs.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It also seems like when Stanton is out...it's for extended periods of time. Pulled hamstring....six weeks.

I still think the Stanton trade has really hamstrung (pun intended) this team. He chewed up a chunk of the salary cap causing them to pass on other big free agents over the years. And....he clogs the DH spot when he does play.

He seems like a good dude...and he is fun to watch hit...but I would guess Cashman would want a do over on that one.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Just saw Sonny Gray is leading the league in ERA. Can’t fault Cash for that one, he just wasn’t made for the Bronx.
Diamondbacks just released Bumgardner... Tired and broken down? How does Cashman resist that siren's call?

StllH8L8ner

Reaction Score
Diamondbacks just released Bumgardner... Tired and broken down? How does Cashman resist that siren's call?
Cash is 1000% thinking about that and whether or not Greg Bird deserves another look.

Reaction Score
I think I'm finally getting to the point where I stop waiting for the other shoe to drop on Nestor Cortes. It's been hard to accept that a guy who had been dropped by multiple teams could be this good. But he's proven himself time and again that he's no fluke. His stuff is not overpowering, but there is something about his delivery that must make his 92MPH look faster to the hitters. I love watching him pitch.

I'd also like add a comment to my post above about Stanton. Turns out that he injured himself deaccelerating into second base on a double. The rub is that he was only deaccelerating because he had been posing at the plate thinking he had hit a homer, only to watch it hit off the wall. I know that style is part of the game these days, so I begrudgingly accept it, until something like this happens.

Reaction Score
This Cabrera/Peraza/Volpe consecutive small ball potential in today's lineup is a lot of fun to watch.

13 combined SBs between the three.

Peraza turns 23 in June...IMO, no reason not to have him up with the Yankees over Hicks once one of Donaldson/Bader/Stanton return.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom