The Official 2023 New York Jets thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

The Official 2023 New York Jets thread

Reaction Score
How the hell are the Bills 5-5? And how are we actually in the mix for the division with virtually no touchdowns on offense all year?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I looked and before Brady, even in down years, the Pats had Bledsoe.

I think I landed on 1991. Pats were 6-10 with Hugh Millen at QB. 9 TDs and 18 INTs in 13 games. Jets were 8-8 with Ken OBrien. 10 TDs and 11 INTs in 16 games.
And 1991 Ken O’Brien is a huge step up from Zach.

So you are getting a chance to see two historically bad offensive teams. Congratulations!

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
How the hell are the Bills 5-5? And how are we actually in the mix for the division with virtually no touchdowns on offense all year?
Something has been wrong with the chemistry of that team. Diggs has been unhappy for a reason.

Reaction Score
Something has been wrong with the chemistry of that team. Diggs has been unhappy for a reason.
I wonder how much of an impact was Allen losing Daboll. The timing lines up with his stat decline.

Reaction Score
I guess the Bills agree with you.

Dorsey is the fall guy IMO. Some terrible decisions by Allen which resulted in interceptions and many dropped balls. Denver was lucky to win on a FG after missing one but were able to kick again due to 12 Bills on the field.

Reaction Score
Also read this today.

1700063651645.png

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Should Saleh force Hackett to turn play calling over to Downing? Downing has been an OC with moderate success. It seems like a change makes sense considering how bad the team has looked offensively.

Or...are they worried they will offend Aaron Rodgers? Hackett can return to play calling next year with Rodgers back. Seems like just releasing Michael Carter isn't enough. By the way...looking forward to Carter ending up on the Patriots and sharing the Jets gameplans. (not that they really need them).

Reaction Score
What do you think they should do with their play calling?
I don’t have a clue. I’d blame Hackett but their offense has been terrible for three years now. I feel like it has to start with Saleh and the culture he’s creating. I think he likes these 16-13 rock fights and is a defense first guy. Wilson is certainly more talented than DeVito, Baegent, Bryce Young and a number of guys starting for other teams with looser offenses.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I don’t have a clue. I’d blame Hackett but their offense has been terrible for three years now. I feel like it has to start with Saleh and the culture he’s creating. I think he likes these 16-13 rock fights and is a defense first guy. Wilson is certainly more talented than DeVito, Baegent, Bryce Young and a number of guys starting for other teams with looser offenses.
Do you really think Saleh has a hand in offensive play calling? Or even offensive culture building? I don't think so.

I do think he was responsible for hiring an inexperienced OC who didn't know how to manage people with Lafleur. And who knows why they hired Hackett...that may have even been Woody Johnson's idea...to help lure Rodgers.

I think the offensive product on the field is entirely Hackett. The lack of discipline on penalties is on Hackett. The offensive predictability is on Hackett.

I don't think they can fire him because of Rodgers... but he could turn over play calling to Downing in the hopes it creates a spark.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They hired Hackett because that is what Rodgers wanted, but (from the outside looking in) I wouldn't say it was to "lure" Rodgers per se'. Rodgers to the Jets was one of worst kept secrets of the offseason. Particularly after they signed former Packers in Allen Lazard, Randall Cobb, Malik Taylor, and Billy Turner (among others). None are doing anything of note to help the Jets.

Hackett doesn't seem to be putting Jimmy and Joe in the best position to succeed, but the Jimmys and Joes with whom he has to work in November are surely not the ones they envisioned in August.

Reaction Score
Do you really think Saleh has a hand in offensive play calling? Or even offensive culture building? I don't think so.

I do think he was responsible for hiring an inexperienced OC who didn't know how to manage people with Lafleur. And who knows why they hired Hackett...that may have even been Woody Johnson's idea...to help lure Rodgers.

I think the offensive product on the field is entirely Hackett. The lack of discipline on penalties is on Hackett. The offensive predictability is on Hackett.

I don't think they can fire him because of Rodgers... but he could turn over play calling to Downing in the hopes it creates a spark.
Extreme ownership. Anything that doesn’t perform well under the scope of his duties is ultimately his responsibility.

Even if he didn’t want or hire Hackett himself, he owns what’s going on with Hackets game plan and play calling.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
They hired Hackett because that is what Rodgers wanted, but (from the outside looking in) I wouldn't say it was to "lure" Rodgers per se'. Rodgers to the Jets was one of worst kept secrets of the offseason.
Hackett was hired on January 28th and Rodgers ended his darkness retreat on February 23rd. Rodgers said he entered the darkness retreat 90% certain he was going to retire.

So...I don't agree they knew they were getting Rodgers when they signed Hackett.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Extreme ownership. Anything that doesn’t perform well under the scope of his duties is ultimately his responsibility.

Even if he didn’t want or hire Hackett himself, he owns what’s going on with Hackets game plan and play calling.
I agree...Saleh has unltimate accountability...but they aren't firing Saleh mid season...but they can change play callers.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Hackett was hired on January 28th and Rodgers ended his darkness retreat on February 23rd. Rodgers said he entered the darkness retreat 90% certain he was going to retire.

So...I don't agree they knew they were getting Rodgers when they signed Hackett.

Provided Rodgers was being publicly truthful. It hasn't necessarily affected his play, but he's become less than 100% trustworthy towards the public, IMO over the past 3+ (or so) seasons. It's like he's playing a character.

The 90% number could very well have referred to retiring vs. playing with the Packers any longer.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Provided Rodgers was being publicly truthful. It hasn't necessarily affected his play, but he's become less than 100% trustworthy towards the public, IMO over the past 3+ (or so) seasons. It's like he's playing a character.

The 90% number could very well have referred to retiring vs. playing with the Packers any longer.
I think the Jets hired Hackett because they truly believed he was the right OC for them. The fact that he had a history with Rodgers was a bonus. Yes Rodgers was part of the equation but I don't think Rodgers coming to NY was a certainty at that time.

Rodgers is a quirky dude and who knew what he was going to decide. And...they had to agree to trade terms with the Packers.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Well...not sure where they are as a team now. If it wasn't for Rodgers, they would probably tear it all down. Starting with Douglas. He created this awful offense and bad quarterback situation.

But....Rodgers is there...and if they are going to get any return on the Rodgers trade they have to work to appease him and ensure he comes back. So... Douglas, Saleh and Hackett probably stay. And I would guess they will be all in for next season...meaning trading for Adams. Which will cost more draft capital. It's the right move at this point, but it has a ton of risk. And...it's a one or two year window.

For the rest of this season...might as well give Boyle and Siemian a shot to see if they are worthy of being a back up next year. My guess is they aren't...and the only QB on the current roster who will be here next year is Rodgers.

Ah...life as a Jets fan.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Good for Boyle. The jets have given him his NFL Pension.

Reaction Score
So. Let’s play. What if Rodgers never got hurt? You assume they win the 4 they won. I think they beat the Patriots and the Chiefs. And I think they beat the Raiders.

That would put them at 7-3 and tied playing the Phins for the division lead this week.

Garrett Wilson and Hall would have significantly better stats. I can see even convince myself Lazard would have flashes. And the word rebuild would never be mentioned.

I wouldn’t play him this year. I’d go get Adams and push in all the chips for next season (and maybe 2025).

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So. Let’s play. What if Rodgers never got hurt? You assume they win the 4 they won. I think they beat the Patriots and the Chiefs. And I think they beat the Raiders.

That would put them at 7-3 and tied playing the Phins for the division lead this week.

Garrett Wilson and Hall would have significantly better stats. I can see even convince myself Lazard would have flashes. And the word rebuild would never be mentioned.

I wouldn’t play him this year. I’d go get Adams and push in all the chips for next season (and maybe 2025).
So basically give up on this season...don't make any leadership changes...and go all in on 2024?

I think that's what they are going to do. But wow...they will have a lot of work to do on the roster...OL..WR...backup QB. And...they have to hope Rodgers stays healthy. And hopefully Hackett hasn't lost the offense's respect. If their first round pick in next year's draft is a DE...I think I will stop following the team.

Lots of hope there...but it's their only option. They made their bed with Rodgers...they have to play it out.

Reaction Score
Good for Boyle. The jets have given him his NFL Pension.
Boyle and Levis from Xavier HS starting this week. When have 2 quarterbacks from the same high school started for NFL teams at the same time before?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Boyle and Levis from Xavier HS starting this week. When have 2 quarterbacks from the same high school started for NFL teams at the same time before?

Connecticut is a football state.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom