The Official 2023 New York Jets thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

The Official 2023 New York Jets thread

Reaction Score
Jets defense is real good!
Missing their 2 starting CBs in Reed and Sauce who may be #1 and #5-6 in the NFL against Hurts/Brown. Insane performance today.

My favorite guy on D after Sauce is Jermaine Johnson. He is an absolute pest. He's ALWAYS disrupting something. Unsung hero.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Missing their 2 starting CBs in Reed and Sauce who may be #1 and #5-6 in the NFL against Hurts/Brown. Insane performance today.

My favorite guy on D after Sauce is Jermaine Johnson. He is an absolute pest. He's ALWAYS disrupting something. Unsung hero.
I agree on Johnson...he was all over the place. Huff was disruptive again also. Rotating in D-Lineman has made the defense very tough in the second half of games.

Weird game...both teams were down starters in the secondary, but the dlines were so good, the quarterbacks couldn't take advantage of the backups.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I am enjoying the Patriots and Giants fans melting down. It's rare the Jets look better than those two.

So...what happens in the bye week? What do they do with the OL? Brown should come off IR...how bad is Tippmann's injury?

Does Simeon become #2?

I will say I didn't like Saleh's comments about opposing qbs being embarrassed. Jets don't need to provide bulletin board material. But...they really did do well against top QBs...lol

It feels like Zach has evolved from bad to serviceable. I still hope they figure out how to execute in the red zone.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Will we ever find out the real reason they never gave Hardman a shot to play? Did he hit on Saleh's wife or something?

I know Gipson has played well and earned some snaps...but was there really no role on the Jets for a playmaker with Hardman's ability? Rodgers is out...why play Cobb over Hardman?

I just don't get it...as the trade deadline is approaching they need to trade for a receiver...and what do they do? They trade one away. He is good enough for the Chiefs but not the Jets.

Gotta be a back story here.

Reaction Score
Will we ever find out the real reason they never gave Hardman a shot to play? Did he hit on Saleh's wife or something?

I know Gipson has played well and earned some snaps...but was there really no role on the Jets for a playmaker with Hardman's ability? Rodgers is out...why play Cobb over Hardman?

I just don't get it...as the trade deadline is approaching they need to trade for a receiver...and what do they do? They trade one away. He is good enough for the Chiefs but not the Jets.

Gotta be a back story here.
I don’t know. He was always on my FFL radar and it seems he could never put it together for a game or for a stretch. I think he may just not be that good? And not having Rodgers didn’t help his cause here.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I don’t know. He was always on my FFL radar and it seems he could never put it together for a game or for a stretch. I think he may just not be that good? And not having Rodgers didn’t help his cause here.
So...the Chiefs played him...and then traded for him...and he isn't good enough for the Jets? Doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score
So...the Chiefs played him...and then traded for him...and he isn't good enough for the Jets? Doesn't make sense.
I don’t know. Here is his game log from 2022. How many games are we missing this type of production?

1697716754633.png

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I don’t know. Here is his game log from 2022. How many games are we missing this type of production?

View attachment 92235
My point is....they found a spot for him in Mahomes offense on a team that won the Superbowl. Not a big role...but a role. On the Jets....he caught one pass for 6 yards in 6 games. And...they didn't inherit him....they went out and signed him. Nothing changed after they signed him...same head coach...same offensive coordinator.

It just seems odd that an offensively challenged team signs a player known for speed and open field ability...and they don't even get him any snaps.

You don't fine that strange?

sun

Reaction Score
My point is....they found a spot for him in Mahomes offense on a team that won the Superbowl. Not a big role...but a role. On the Jets....he caught one pass for 6 yards in 6 games. And...they didn't inherit him....they went out and signed him. Nothing changed after they signed him...same head coach...same offensive coordinator.

It just seems odd that an offensively challenged team signs a player known for speed and open field ability...and they don't even get him any snaps.

It's a salary dump due to Rodger's injury.
Hardman is considered to be an expendable luxury that the Jets don't want & don't need.
The Jets would rather have the cap space because he played 28 snaps & wasn't productive.
WR's are considered to be a dime a dozen & he cost $4 mil this year, & the Jets paid him $1.2 mil so far for 1 catch.
So they dumped him to cut their $$$ losses.
That's business because salary cap considerations often rule over management decisions.
The Jets probably have a practive squad player that could be as productive, or they could sign an undrafted free agent from training camp to be as productive for the minimum salary.
The trade creates cap space that could be used to sign a replacement player due to injury or a back up QB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yeah. I see your point when you put it that way. A bubble screen or a jet sweep once or twice a game isn’t ridiculous to expect.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
It's a salary dump due to Rodger's injury.
Hardman is considered to be an expendable luxury that the Jets don't want & don't need.
The Jets would rather have the cap space because he played 28 snaps & wasn't productive.
WR's are considered to be a dime a dozen & he cost $4 mil this year, & the Jets paid him $1.2 mil so far for 1 catch.
So they dumped him to cut their $$$ losses.
That's business because salary cap considerations often rule over management decisions.
The Jets probably have a practive squad player that could be as productive, or they could sign an undrafted free agent from training camp to be as productive for the minimum salary.
The trade creates cap space that could be used to sign a replacement player due to injury or a back up QB.

That explains why they released him....my question was why didn't they play him? Or why did they sign him?

I agree at this point you cut your losses. Douglas's moves usually make sense...this signing doesn't.

sun

Reaction Score
That explains why they released him....my question was why didn't they play him? Or why did they sign him?

I agree at this point you cut your losses. Douglas's moves usually make sense...this signing doesn't.
The article was pretty clear that Rodgers isn't there to pass to him.
He doesn't have the chemistry with Wilson that he displayed with Rodgers.
Even old man Randall Cobb has been targeted 12 times & has 3 receptions.
Practice is also different then real games & some WR's are a better fit than others.
The Jets signed extra WR's to make Rodgers happy & now the Jets don't need all of them.
The Chiefs seem to need him more than the Jets.
Pro sports are like a meat market, they buy & sell contracts to keep up the meat production.
Maybe the guy needs psych counseling or he's a complainer so they dumped him. Who knows?
Sometimes they get rid of players just for team chemistry, since some players are like a locker room cancer.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
The article was pretty clear that Rodgers isn't there to pass to him.
He doesn't have the chemistry with Wilson that he displayed with Rodgers.
Even old man Randall Cobb has been targeted 12 times & has 3 receptions.
Practice is also different then real games & some WR's are a better fit than others.
The Jets signed extra WR's to make Rodgers happy & now the Jets don't need all of them.
The Chiefs seem to need him more than the Jets.
Pro sports are like a meat market, they buy & sell contracts to keep up the meat production.
Maybe the guy needs psych counseling or he's a complainer so they dumped him. Who knows?
Sometimes they get rid of players just for team chemistry, since some players are like a locker room cancer.
He signed with the Jets a month before Rodgers was traded to the Jets...so it has nothing to do with your first bunch of possibilities. Also...He wasn't a bad locker room guy...so it isn't that.

My guess? It's like Mims...he didn't grasp the playbook quickly and they didn't trust him. I can see how you make a mistake in a draft pick...you don't have any NFL experience to evaluate. I don't understand how you miss so badly on a guy with lots of NFL experience.

Anyway...I hope they find another experienced receiver or Corey Davis decides to play again.

Reaction Score
Well the Rodgers thing was really drawn out. They could have felt it was “done” and while ironing out the fine print they started making moves.

All I know is I am happy we didn’t sign Carr after tonight.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Well the Rodgers thing was really drawn out. They could have felt it was “done” and while ironing out the fine print they started making moves.

I didn't watch the game. I did see a tweet from Orlovsky saying the offensive scheme for NO was bad.

So...who knows how he would have played for the Jets.

Reaction Score

But hey he threw for 300 yards and started the season 2-0, it’s only a matter of time till he was gonna turtle.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Recent articles about Hardman state that he struggled to grasp Rodgers hand signal system and didn't mesh well with the coaches.

I still hope that Corey Davis comes back. Decent chemistry with Zach last year, and he should know the system from attending camp. They need another playmaker for Zach.

sun

Reaction Score
The Jets have a WR on their practice squad named Malik Taylor who played for the Packers for 2 years.
He's 6'3", 220 lbs & doesn't have many receptions but was on the active roster for 25 games.
The Jets are currently paying him 273.7K according to Spotrac.
He can be activated if he's needed.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
The Jets have a WR on their practice squad named Malik Taylor who played for the Packers for 2 years.
He's 6'3", 220 lbs & doesn't have many receptions but was on the active roster for 25 games.
The Jets are currently paying him 273.7K according to Spotrac.
He can be activated if he's needed.

Cool....but I would rather have Corey Davis back.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
So... Jets-Giants. What will happen?

Rich Cimini thinks the Jets will have a let down this week. He predicts a close Giants victory.

I worry about how Zach will respond to the Giants pass rush. I hope he uses his legs to keep them honest. If I was Hackett, I am all about short passes...screens...and the running game. Which is a good plan for Zach any week...but seems more important with the blitzing Giants. But...gotta pass on first down to help the running game.

They should have their corners back this week which is huge. Not sure if you would rather face Taylor or Jones. Taylor seems to be a bit savvier.... Jones has better wheels.

I think the Jets have heard the talk about a let down and they will be ready for this game. I think they eek it out.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't be having a let down off a bye.

It will be Tyrod. Andrew Thomas may be back which changes the entire Giants offensive line.

Should be a close, low scoring game. Not sure the Giants can score over 17.

Reaction Score
I think the bye helps prevent a hangover type let down. Maybe a slow start from the extra time off? I don't think so though. I think the shock of what happened on the first drive in Week 1 hit them hard, as expected...and a few weeks later, they've really figured out who they are and the light switch turned on against Philly. I think they'll win something like 24-13.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I think the bye helps prevent a hangover type let down. Maybe a slow start from the extra time off? I don't think so though. I think the shock of what happened on the first drive in Week 1 hit them hard, as expected...and a few weeks later, they've really figured out who they are and the light switch turned on against Philly. I think they'll win something like 24-13.
I hope so.

Both teams have unpredictable QB and O-line play. But I think the Jets have the advantage everywhere else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom