The Official 2015 Mets Thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Mets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Looks like the Bruce deal is dead and we're now trying for Cespedes; and apparently there is concern that Cuddyer may not be back anytime soon.

53 minutes and counting...
Yeah any optimism a deal would be done is gone for me. I don't even know what I want them to do at this point if Bruce is off the table. Don't want to overpay for a rental like Cespedes. Don't want to give up prospects for a marginal outfield upgrade. Hard to know what the possibilities really are at this point.

mets1090

Reaction Score

Well....

Edit: Keep in mind the Reds are going against a LHP so who knows.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If Cuddyer ain't coming back and they don't grab another legit outfield bat they are going into their most important series in years with very bad karma.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I believe the Mets are fading fast with or without the addition of a bat. I wantd Gomez or Bruce because they help for next year as well. I don't think trading a good prospect or two for Cespedes makes any sense.

Of course if they pulled the trigger I would still view it as a pleasant surprise. Commitment to winning and all that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I believe the Mets are fading fast with or without the addition of a bat.
I disagree with that. We have three games against the first place team and we're three games back. We have the best starting rotation in the league, so we're well-positioned for a playoff series. With the rest of the moves this past week, the addition of a bat at the level of Cespedes would make a huge difference imo.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Heyman says 2 minor leaguers.

If it's not Nimmo, Fuller et al I'm fully on board. Not sure I would give up a top 10 type prospect plus a second prospect. JMO.

Edit: For clarity, if they're willing to pony up the money to extend him then I'm 100% on board. Just doubt that's the case because money is already committed to Cuddyer/Granderson.

mets1090

Reaction Score
First names I've seen are Fulmer and Cessa. Cessa doesn't really factor in too much as far as I'm concerned but you never know. Also, I guess it makes sense to deal Fulmer since they're keeping Wheeler. Word was they saw Wheeler as more and more expendable since Fulmer was pitching so well. I guess that goes both ways and Fulmer is expendable if Wheeler is hanging around.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yoenis Céspedes has more home runs this month (8) than all of the Mets' right-handed hitters combined (6)

mets1090

Reaction Score
Anyway... now that the deal is done, you can't blame the front office for lack of effort. It's also funny that now that it's official I just feel better about it than I did before. (edit: liking it more the more I think about it by the way. Just had to overcome that initial "what if it doesn't work out and they gave up Fulmer for 2 months of Cespedes and no playoffs" fear)

With a healthy d'Arnaud and the 3 additions to the offense, they might not suck at scoring runs. And not sucking at scoring runs + this pitching staff = a good stretch run.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Fulmer was a good chip. Sorry to see him go, but we had to give up something to get this done, and quality young starting pitching is something we happen to have in abundance.

Kudos to the front office. Tough week and good results.

Now let's sweep or at least win this series to make this worth it!

Reaction Score
Much better get than Carlos Gomez, and we kept Wheeler. Never expected this type of move from the Mets becuse they're the Mets.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Never really thought I'd be tipping my cap to the front office (even though I don't hate Sandy, generally speaking).

mets1090

Reaction Score

Sandy knocked it out of the park, IMO.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Sandy knocked it out of the park, IMO.

Agreed. Can't blame him for the results from here this season. He delivered the help that was needed.

Now it's Terry's turn.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Losing Fulmer might hurt in a few years...he's been completely dominant as of late, and has the stuff to back it up. But with the pitching depth we have, I don't mind expending some of it to go for it this year. It sounds like Sandy was out of options on the market; it was Cespedes in the last few hours or bust. Good job.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So great. I thought it was going to happen during his prior at bat.

What a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak