The Official 2015 Mets Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Mets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I cursed Cashman when he dealt Clippard.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Another nice deal. Replacing the 23rd, 24th and 25th players on your team with much better talent can go a long way.
Yup. Cutting what is basically dead weight and replacing it with 3 legit major leaguers is a pretty huge jump. Plus these deals help take pressure off Conforto (who could be another nice addition for the stretch run.

This team is actually at the point that a healthy d'Arnaud makes them a legit playoff team. Just need to take care of business against the Nationals, which is easier said than done.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I would love to cap this off with Jay Bruce. If we're going to give a decent prospect for a two-month rental, then we might as well go all in and get one more bat to make us legitimate contenders.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I would love to cap this off with Jay Bruce. If we're going to give a decent prospect for a two-month rental, then we might as well go all in and get one more bat to make us legitimate contenders.
Agreed. They've made some solid additions but one more slightly better add would be great. Those coupled with Murphy and Duda hopefully picking it up and we could really have something going here.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Adding a solid outfield bat would certainly cap off a very impressive week for Sandy and make us really well-positioned for the division race. We've definitely improved already, but that final piece would help shore up every weak spot that needed to be addressed.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Adding a solid outfield bat would certainly cap off a very impressive week for Sandy and make us really well-positioned for the division race. We've definitely improved already, but that final piece would help shore up every weak spot that needed to be addressed.
I don't at all blame you for your lack of faith last week but I'm happy to see you're not one to disappear when the front office actually comes through. Hopefully they add one more piece and the rest of this thread can be far happier than the last 6 or 7 pages lol.

Reaction Score
When Reyes wanted a big contract from the Mets, do you think he ever anticipated being bounced from Miami to Toronto to Colorado in a span of 3.5 seasons?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't at all blame you for your lack of faith last week but I'm happy to see you're not one to disappear when the front office actually comes through. Hopefully they add one more piece and the rest of this thread can be far happier than the last 6 or 7 pages lol.
Agreed. Going on the history of the last ten seasons or so I just expected to be kicked in the teeth again and I was too jaded to be taken in by what seemed like more empty talk.

And I was actually surprised that I ended up feeling that way because I was initially happy about the Alderson hire based on his prior history. But I just got so pissed at the futility of the last several seasons.

Ever since I was a little kid I've loved watching the games throughout the seasons, but the last few seasons I was so disgusted by July that I stopped watching. I thought I was headed in that direction again when we started to spiral and it didn't appear that help was on the way. But I am thrilled to have meaningful games to watch again now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When Reyes wanted a big contract from the Mets, do you think he ever anticipated being bounced from Miami to Toronto to Colorado in a span of 3.5 seasons?
I doubt he had the self-awareness to see that coming, but it surprises me none.

Great skills, bad head, worse heart. I was happy to see him go.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Nobody ever does. Didn't you know? Every player that hits free agency thinks they're going to sign a big deal and be a messiah for their new team.

By the way, looking at Jose's numbers since he left the Mets... he wasn't really worth the contract he got even in the first couple years. He hasn't had an .800 OPS since leaving. He's got a .708 OPS this year. My initial thoughts after the Tulo trade were that maybe the Mets would grab Reyes but after looking at his performance, the Rockies would have to eat a ton of his salary.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Wow first Cueto and now Zobrist. The Royals front office isn't messing around.

Every piece that comes off the market without the Nationals making a move gives me hope. Just holding my breath that they won't improve their team in the next 73 hours (and one minute).

Reaction Score
Sandy looked PISSED in that press conference. They sent down Verrett but I'd re-call him and DFA Mejia. Any update on Goedell? Also, Wright may play in rehab games next week!

mets1090

Reaction Score
Sandy looked PISSED in that press conference. They sent down Verrett but I'd re-call him and DFA Mejia. Any update on Goedell? Also, Wright may play in rehab games next week!
Goedell was moved to the 60 day DL to make room for Clippard on the 40 so I'm guessing we won't be seeing him all that soon (unless there's a trade coming involving a couple guys currently on the 40 and this was just a formality).

Vic Black has been terrible in AAA, walking almost a batter per inning. I think Blevins was supposedly going to start throwing this week so one would think he'd be next in line to come back. I would think bringing up Verrett is the right move now, though I don't know what the rules are with recalling a player so soon. I know it's allowed if someone goes on the DL - hopefully a similar provision exists for suspended players e.g. Mejia. (Edit: I'm dumb - Clippard replaced Mejia. There is no open spot right now.)

Mejia is a dope but he'll effectively be a trade deadline acquisition for someone next year. Whether or not the Mets bring him back is anyone's guess, though Alderson did seem pretty upset during that press conference.

Does anyone know if (a) Mejia is banned from next year's post season now and (b) any Mets post season games this year would count towards the 162 game suspension? The answers should be (a) yes and (b) no but I don't really know if they expected anyone to take two PED suspensions in one year so who knows how it's written. I wouldn't necessarily want him back either way but I'm just curious.

Last edited:

mets1090

Reaction Score
After the game last night, Collins said something along the lines of "The guys in that locker room are numb to problems at this point."

First of all, I found that both hilariously sad and sadly hilarious. They've endured so many injuries, two Mejia suspensions, constant talk about how the entire offense sucks, etc. It's really quite remarkable.

And yet here they are, 1 game out of first place just about 2 days before the trade deadline. There's no doubt this team is hardened for the stretch run.

Reaction Score
We are also 52-48 100 games in. I think we have only 15 games or so in the next two months against teams over .500. We should be in good shape with the pitching and if we get another bat we are in real good shape. If TDA and Wright (ha!) come back healthy and contribute watch out.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I think we have only 15 games or so in the next two months against teams over .500.
Unfortunately the same could be said for the Nationals. Bulk of the last 60 games are against divisional opponents. Starting Friday, the Mets have 25 games (out of 60) remaining against the bottom 3 teams in the NL East while the Nationals have I think 23 (out of 62).

They play 9 games against each other (6 in NY and 3 in DC). Anything below .500 in those games is obviously going to make it very difficult to win the division.

The two upcoming stretches that could be huge for the Mets are (obviously) this weekend when the Nationals come to town and then in early-mid August the Nationals have a 7 game road trip against the Dodgers and Giants. If the Mets take care of business they could definitely be sitting in first place after that (or sooner with a good showing this weekend).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What a clusterfark. I feel asleep when were down 6-1 and woke up around midnight to see a text from my brother saying "nice trade," and then I check ESPN and see that there's no deal.

From what I've seen this morning it looks like it was Flores and Wheeler for Gomez, but the Mets pulled out after exchanging medical records, apparently over concerns about Gomez's hip--which Boras is denying.

And Sandy says "It's not Friday yet," meaning he's still working on something.

Feel bad for Flores.

Reaction Score
I hope that wasn't the ONE deal to get done and now that it fell through, the Mets end up whitewashed in their hopes for a decent offensive upgrade. If it went through, it would have been a huge win for the Mets.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Sucky turn of events last night. You have to feel bad for Flores and you can't blame the front office. It's not their fault the news broke before it was official. And there are people out there saying the Wilpons are a joke. That is definitely true, but this is hardly evidence of that. Can you imagine the outrage people would have if they traded Wheeler for Gomez and then Gomez ended up missing time with a hip injury that the pre-trade physical identified? Yikes.

I do blame Collins for leaving him in the game. The defense that he didn't know there was a trade and he's trying to win a ballgame is irrelevant IMO. If you're trying to win a ballgame, you don't leave a guy in who clearly has lost focus (and I don't blame Wilmer for breaking down either). I'm hoping Wilmer gets in the game today and gets a big ovation.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I hope that wasn't the ONE deal to get done and now that it fell through, the Mets end up whitewashed in their hopes for a decent offensive upgrade. If it went through, it would have been a huge win for the Mets.
Yeah that was a winning deal and exactly the type of move that would have capped off a great deadline for this team. Certainly can't blame Sandy's effort at this point. Hopefully they can swing something similar for Bruce or whomever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom